Home
Posted By: chaddd SAKO 85 scope rings - 03/04/16
Just ordered a finnlight, want to put a 36mm z3 with 1in tube on it. But I want it mounted as low as possible. With the extra low optilocks how close to the bore can I get. Would there be enough room for a 42mm? Thanks guys
Posted By: Powder_Burn Re: SAKO 85 scope rings - 03/04/16
Sako Optilock bases & rings run high while Optilock ringmounts are lower. On a short-actioned 85, a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 with Butler Creek caps will just barely clear the barrel using low Optilock ringmounts (S1701900).
Posted By: CrazyIs Re: SAKO 85 scope rings - 03/04/16
I would consider the Talley bases and rings over the Optilocks. I had a Z5 slip in the Optilocks and damage the ocular bell. This was on a Finlight .300 WSM. I've never had issues with the Talleys. Plus, they are a heck of a lot lighter in weight. The Talley lows will work just fine. Good luck.
Posted By: chaddd Re: SAKO 85 scope rings - 03/04/16
With talleys could I use extra low rings?
Posted By: Terryk Re: SAKO 85 scope rings - 03/04/16
I have plenty of optilocks, but I use Leupold mounts because they are lighter.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: SAKO 85 scope rings - 03/04/16
Xtra low ring-mounts from Sako....discussion closed!!
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: SAKO 85 scope rings - 03/04/16
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Xtra low ring-mounts from Sako....discussion closed!!

X2
The two piece Optilocks are both higher and heavier than necessary though they do work. The Optilock ringmounts are a good choice if you might change scopes later.

The Leupold made Sako ringmounts are the lightest and lowest option if they will allow proper eye position. The front mount won't tighten until it is over half way down the tapered dove tail receiver. The Optilock ringmount will tighten anywhere on the dovetail.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: SAKO 85 scope rings - 03/05/16
Originally Posted by CrazyIs
I would consider the Talley bases and rings over the Optilocks. I had a Z5 slip in the Optilocks and damage the ocular bell. This was on a Finlight .300 WSM. I've never had issues with the Talleys. Plus, they are a heck of a lot lighter in weight. The Talley lows will work just fine. Good luck.

I have seen scopes slip in Talley Lightweights and in their steel rings. I have never seen a scope slip in Burris signature rings ,Conetrol rings or Optilocks. Ever
Posted By: Pat85 Re: SAKO 85 scope rings - 03/05/16
Had one issue of optilocks slipping. Back when they used socket head cap screws a couple of the heads stripped and couldnt properly tighten. Replaced the screws on that set of rings and never had an issue since.
Posted By: Axtell Re: SAKO 85 scope rings - 03/05/16
No problem with Leupold medium ringmounts and a 6x42, still room for a Butler Creek scope cover.

The cross bolt is torque sensitive , do not exceed recommended as it will break under recoil.
Posted By: Horseman Re: SAKO 85 scope rings - 03/06/16
Optilock ringmounts(one pc)or go home. If ejection bounces brass off scope I'll switch to 2pc Optilocks with lows(slightly taller). Other mounts don't utilize the recoil pin that mates to the rear action bridge. Way stonger to use it.
© 24hourcampfire