Home
I'm not asking cartridge here. I don't care if you say "I'd take a Winchester 70 in every cartridge they made". I just want to know if you could only own one model of rifle which it would be?
Savage...
Model 70.
Umm, that would be a Winchester.
Hand's down, Winchester 70... more specifically, late 90's Stainless Model.
Winchester M 70
Model 70
Ruger77. Just because the line goes from 22 LR to dangerous game.
A model 70 for me too
Kimber 84M Montana

David

All sorts of preferences and ideas, but you would have a hard time finding more consistent manufacturing and accuracy from one maker...Sako
If I did so I'd be a dumbazz... so I don't.
Originally Posted by rost495
If I did so I'd be a dumbazz... so I don't.

You'd be a dumbazz if you couldn't figure out which works best for you too.... Just sayin. whistle
Sako
Mauser..... Anyone of them!
Sako
The 700 Remington hasn't even made an appearance yet!
Winchester 70 is running away with this. It goes to show what knowledgable shooters trust.
I was so impressed by the Montana Rifle Company XWR .308 that we got my son-in-law that if I could only own one rifle and it had to be factory produced, that would likely be it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ntana_Rifle_Company_XWR_Rang#Post9645294

John
Not really a surprise, is it?

A CRF Win M70...The Riflemans Rifle...Period

There are many fine rifle manufacturers out there, and with few exceptions, you will really need to try and go out of your way to find a bad one. Whichever one fits and feels right to you, rock on with it and don't look back.

But, a crf Win M70 is the one I'm so familiar with and trust, that's where my vote goes.

For no nonsense rifle hunting, make mine a crf M70, bedded into a McMillan, topped with a Leupold that's held in place by Talleys. That's my recipe. Just need to pick a flavor you like.
TIKKA. I have three of them. Two from back in the mid 70s, and a T3. They all shoot very well. The T3 in 6.5 Swede would be the first choice, now.
One? Model 70.

But I do like 700s, Mausers, and Tikkas.
sako
Originally Posted by moosemike

It has now. blush

Make mine a 700 KS.
I'm not asking cartridge here. I don't care if you say "I'd take a Winchester 70 in every cartridge they made". I just want to know if you could only own one model of rifle which it would be?

Winchester Model 70 SS FW's and Classics from the 90's.

Even over the Kimber Montana's which I really like. The older Model 70 trigger is the clincher for me.
Borden or Sako 85
Probably Winchester M70.

I really like the Ruger M77, too. But I think the M70 edges it out. One or the other, though.
Thats where I landed years ago, every BG rifle I own is a pre 64 M70 of some type.
Flip a coin ... Left Hand Stainless MRC 1999 X2 or Left Hand Remington 700 KS...
Weatherby
Model 70 stainless. Kimber second.
Model 70. Have owned just about all the time line variations

Have some other brands that are more accurate and would not like giving them up, but if forced to choose it would be a 70.
Sako
Mauser...
A trued 700.
Ruger 77
Winchester 70 is running away with this. It goes to show what knowledgable shooters trust.

Or, Rem 700 owners are smart enough not to participate in silly threads such as this.
Another vote for the great Model 70!
Mauser. I happen to like the early ones from about 59-63 built by FN. The early Brownings are nice. My custom stocked '59 24" FN in .30-06 would be hard to improve on.

Jack
While I own others, they don't get much play time when there's a Savage 99 to be had.
The SS Classic model 70's are probably the best all around rifle ever made.

No question Model 70
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Or, Rem 700 owners are smart enough not to participate in silly threads such as this.

Because we all know it's "silly" to pick which rifle gives you the most confidence in a firearms forum. SMH

Because we all know it's "silly" to pick which rifle gives you the most confidence in a firearms forum. SMH

Insecure much?
It wasn't happenstance that Rem added a 0. grin

Or that Ruger started with a 7. wink
Kimber Montana

donsm70

Insecure much?

Sorry, I thought in a firearms forum we should discuss firearms. Now that you've informed me that is silly, I think my next thread will be a comparison between the 428 and 429 Cobra Jets. And I might toss the 427 side oiler for good measure. wink
I'm very tempted to say Ruger No. 1, but if limited to only one, it would likely be a model 70 or a finely finished commercial 98 Mauser.
A bunch of love here more Mod 70's but My vote is for the Remington 700, if its good enough for our military snipers its good enough for me.....but I do have love for the model 70's though especially the featherweight model (although far from a featherweight rilfe I consider them exceedingly beautiful) I also love and have owned a pile of Sako rifles but I cant get past the clamp-on scope mounting system, I like Plastikka's and Ruger Hawkeye's, I even like the Weatherby Mark V.....Hell I'm a rifle looney and I know it.....Ha!.........Hb

Don't forget the title of the thread indicated a brand that could measure up to all the cartridge variations. A Kimber Montana is going to be very limited, a Remington or Model 70 will poorly handle the smallest cartridges, and all other brands will fall short in that category as well. I don't know of a single manufacturer that made a wider option of chamberings available with the specific action taylored to the cartridge than Sako.

You can choose any brand your heart desires, you just won't be able to have the choice you could with Sako.

I guess I have to give another vote to Sako...
Only Winchesters I've owned are of the Pre 64 flavor but one of them would be my first choice. Ruger M77 would be second.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Don't forget the title of the thread indicated a brand that could measure up to all the cartridge variations. A Kimber Montana is going to be very limited, a Remington or Model 70 will poorly handle the smallest cartridges, and all other brands will fall short in that category as well. I don't know of a single manufacturer that made a wider option of chamberings available with the specific action taylored to the cartridge than Sako.

You can choose any brand your heart desires, you just won't be able to have the choice you could with Sako.

I guess I have to give another vote to Sako...

Vote early, vote often. laugh
Sako
Originally Posted by fredIII
Ruger77. Just because the line goes from 22 LR to dangerous game.

This and for exactly the same reason.

Insecure much?

Sorry, I thought in a firearms forum we should discuss firearms. Now that you've informed me that is silly, I think my next thread will be a comparison between the 428 and 429 Cobra Jets. And I might toss the 427 side oiler for good measure. wink

Hey, I can talk that language! grin

Pass the Sako, please.
Baretta,do they own Sako?
Thumbs up!
Weatherby Mark V six lug ultralight in .30-06. 5lb 14 oz without sling and scope.
Winchester Model 70 with a Ruger M77 and Marlin 336 on it's heels.
Mauser
Winchester 70
or
Ruger 77 MKII

In stainless with a nice synthetic stock.
Money no object, Sako. Money tight Tikka. Love my new Sauer, but don't have years with it yet.
Ok , model 700 , in 30/06. Easy to deal with in every way.
Pre-64 Model 70 - the action length offers any choice I'd ever need.
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
A model 70 for me too

I'd be in the Model 70 Camp also...
270 MT.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
270 MT.

Model 70 lite. grin
Exactly!

Stick a scope and bipod on it and it weighs as much as a naked M70.....
Win 70 style CRF, particular brand doesn't matter, but this is my favorite action.

Know how to build a 454 Ford?
I'd go with a Remington Model 7.
Remington Model 700. Accurate, easy to bed, and accessories are readily available.
I've owned (and liked) other makes, but have come to like the 700 best of all.
Originally Posted by mathman

Well its gonna be a stroker. I'd think big block but I've heard they're pushing 351 blocks pretty far?
mike -

I'm posting w/o reading this thread first so I don't know what others have said.

I have and have had MORE Rem 700s than all others combined. I've had R 77s all tangers, Win 70s all PF. I have a Tikka T 3 since 2003.

I only owned one B B R -> problem child.

Having said those things:

I could live with OLDER Rem 700s, Win 70s, &/or Tikka (Sako)
You pick, I'm happy.

Jerry

now I'll read the whole thread.

Well its gonna be a stroker. I'd think big block but I've heard they're pushing 351 blocks pretty far?

They're getting crazy with tall deck Windsor blocks, but the old way I'm thinking of is a 428 crank in a 427 block.
Cool!
Winchester 70 is running away with this. It goes to show what <<knowledgable>> shooters trust.

I didn't get far. I --KNOW-- how many trouble free yrs Rem 700s have given me. First Hand Knowledge. I don't have to take somebody else's word on it.

And I know how to spell knowledgeable. whistle

Jerry
I would run with either a 70 stainless classic or a MKII/hawkeye stainless.
Now I've read the whole thread..

Haven't changed my mind.

Jerry
Savage 99.
Pre-2009 Marlin.
I like all of the ones mentioned but would take an early 700 if limited to only one.
M70, preferably a FWT.

They're getting crazy with tall deck Windsor blocks, but the old way I'm thinking of is a 428 crank in a 427 block.

Wasn't there a 396 Ford by using a 352 crank in a 427 block?
I don't know that one.
Tough question, but I would have to go Ruger. I just love the little GSR.
One brand of rifle to cover all my needs? Model 70. But I'm too invested in my Looniness to ever divest myself of the plethora of styles I now own. But if you put a gun to my head and made me dump them all and start over with just one brand, make it a M70, as long as I got to include models from every era to get the ones I wanted.
Ruger M77
Sako.
Never had a Winchester but I have Remington and Savage, Ruger, Interarms, Browning and Marlin. Also had a Mauser and a Harrington Richards at one point.

With a safe full or Ruger M77/MKII/Hawkeye rifles though, I guess the question is pretty well answered.
I started this thread because I need to get a new .30-06 this year and have been unable to decide on whose so I wanted to see what serious shooters trusted. Looks like Winchester 70, followed by Sako, the Ruger 77.
Sako m-85, 30-06, 6x36 or 42 , M1 turret, covers off all the bases. less than 7.5 lbs ready to hunt.
M70

NH Winch M70 Classic..

Done.
I started this thread because I need to get a new .30-06 this year and have been unable to decide on whose so I wanted to see what serious shooters trusted. Looks like Winchester 70, followed by Sako, the Ruger 77.

You never said bolt action...gotta change my answer to CZ 550.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
M70

That's hard to believe. R U serious? whistle
grin grin

Jerry

I have a Windsor stroker (418) in a fox body (street driven). Conservativly 650 HP. Runs low 10s closed up on 10" Mickey T's. Mid nines with a 175 shot, but pretty squirrely and 60' increases even when it holds the track when I spray it.
http://www.streetfire.net/video/9939-run-w125-shot-of-nitrousunfortunately-c_78802.htm
Originally Posted by Redneck

NH Winch M70 Classic..

Done.

Agreed, but again, it would be really hard to walk away from a couple of the 700s I own.
Ruger. But it's because their stocks fit my physique, not because I think they are more trouble-free or more accurate than other brands.
Love all of mine but think the CZ 550 inspires most confidence for me.
A good M70 is hard to beat, and my .270 was my primary, and at times my only deer rifle for over 30 years, but I have a slight preference for '98s. All that forged steel and cunning machine work just winds my clock.
Pre-64 Suprgrade
Browning
Ruger 77 MK/II stainless
Wby
Mauser M03
Multi cartridge multi scoped
One of my Sako's; probably the Model 75.
Even though I currently hunt my 2 Weatherby's more.
Model 70
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Ruger 77 MK/II stainless

In the GSR version, with both a 1.5x5 IER and a larger power conventional scope.
The very first rifle I bought for my self, Sako finnbear in 30-06.
Currently I own only 8 centerfire rifles. All but one is a Mauser or close derivative. (e.g. mini-Mauser, CZ550).

So I guess my preference is MAUSER!

Model 70...
Model 70 featherweight
If I could only own 1 it would be Sako, Blueprinted 700, and Pre 64....
Lots of 70 lovers here. Guess you guys like 100 yard rifles. Me, a 700 everytime. mtmuley
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Ruger 77 MK/II stainless

Secretly that is my favorite brand, but I said Browning to get some moaning. Actually the x-bolt is a good tang safety Mark 2 wannabe.
Pre 64 fw..sako would be a very close second...would depend on the chambering..

Either I read this wrong or most everyone else has. 1 model of rifle doesn't mean 1 rifle, but 1 model and unlimited chamberings. That is where Sako still leaves all the others behind. If the OP was only interested in 1 single rifle, I guess Sako would still be a consideration, and that would open up the potential for a Kimber Montana. If not my third vote is the same as the first 2...Sako
In the spirit of dance with who brung ya.... Remington Model 700.

Either I read this wrong or most everyone else has. 1 model of rifle doesn't mean 1 rifle, but 1 model and unlimited chamberings. That is where Sako still leaves all the others behind. If the OP was only interested in 1 single rifle, I guess Sako would still be a consideration, and that would open up the potential for a Kimber Montana. If not my third vote is the same as the first 2...Sako

I agree with you. He was aXing about 1 Brand/model for any/all rifles.

Jerry
When ever I get this question I always have to ask if this is one rifle only for life with no service support or are parts and service readily available?

My favorite rifle is a Weatherby Mark 5. If I'm going to be the last man on earth with a rifle then it would be a Ruger 77 MKII stainless.

There is nothing as simple, durable or trouble free as a Ruger 77 MKII. Lap the rings and smooth up the bolt raceway and they make for a really nice rifle. Even the trigger can be "adjusted" and once set it stays that way. No screws to move out of adjustment.

Howa. Accurate, built like a tank and reliable. I would have to throw it in a McMillan sako Classic, though.
Other than where prohibited by law, there is nothing in the world I wouldn't hunt with these three.

Left to right:
Ruger MKII .338WM stainless semi-custom, 22"
Ruger MKII .300WM blue, 22"
Ruger MKII .30-06 stainless, 22"

[Linked Image]

I also have a Ruger MKII stainless .223 in a laminate stock. If I find a boat paddle stock at a decent price it will get an "upgrade".
Originally Posted by jwall

I agree with you. He was aXing about 1 Brand/model for any/all rifles.

Jerry

Myquestion runs along the lines of these two guys I know.The one owns only model 700's but he has pretty much all the chamberings and the other owns only model 760/7600's and he does have all the chamberings. If you were to do something like this what gun would you pick?
With that clarification - I would have to say ruger 77 like other posters previous said.

I would be there if I sold the other stuff.
It's a trick question, with no possible answer. No such thing as only one brand or model rifle can exist to one person. It defies all natural laws.....😜

Myquestion runs along the lines of these two guys I know.The one owns only model 700's but he has pretty much all the chamberings and the other owns only model 760/7600's and he does have all the chamberings. If you were to do something like this what gun would you pick?

Thanks Mike. The following is a quote of the OP. I don't know if guys jump in the conversation w/o reading from the start (probably) or if reading & comprehension skill is lacking.

Note: "in every cartridge they made"

I really don't mean to be 'mean'.

Jerry
Originally Posted by hikerbum
It's a trick question, with no possible answer. No such thing as only one brand or model rifle can exist to one person. It defies all natural laws.....😜

Until you look at Sako...
I'll stick with the CZ 550 after clarification...22-250 to 458 ought to cover just about anything(hell the ONE I've got in 270 will cover most things by itself...)

Lately, I lean toward Tikka, but I could live with Ruger or Remington as well.
As a lefty, I have to choose the Remington 700. While I prefer the Win 70 for big game rifles, they never made a short action/standard bolt face or a .223 Rem based action for lefties.

There is nothing I could not buy or acquire using the 700 as the foundation, and I am not concerned about its design deficiencies which are much more common on the internet than in real life.
Sako 85
I grew up shooting Remington shotguns, so when I started on centerfire rifles, I bought Remington 700s.

Until I tried a Model 70.

Now I have about twenty Model 70s and maybe four or five Remingtons. And honestly I don't ever see myself buying another Remington rifle.

So I'll stay with Winchester Model 70s, either New Haven or BACO, in a long action preferably.
I'm slimmed down to a two rifle battery of Win 70's and very happy...but I'd trade them for a Browning m1918.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Other than where prohibited by law, there is nothing in the world I wouldn't hunt with these three.

Left to right:
Ruger MKII .338WM stainless semi-custom, 22"
Ruger MKII .300WM blue, 22"
Ruger MKII .30-06 stainless, 22"

[Linked Image]

I also have a Ruger MKII stainless .223 in a laminate stock. If I find a boat paddle stock at a decent price it will get an "upgrade".

Call me bizarre, but I love the boat-paddle Rugers!!!

[Linked Image]

C H - I've commented on your boat paddles before but haven't asked about recoil.
How does the recoil compare with your 06 and conventional wood stocks and OEM recoil pads ?

I always liked those but for some reason never bought one. I like your idea of same platform, trigger, safety etc.

Jerry
With the way I hunt anymore I might have to say Remington 7600.

[Linked Image]

C H - I've commented on your boat paddles before but haven't asked about recoil.
How does the recoil compare with your 06 and conventional wood stocks and OEM recoil pads ?

I always like those but for some reason never bought one. I like your idea of same platform, trigger, safety etc.

Jerry

Not C H but I do have a Boat Paddle 7mag with a Limbsaver pad. Also have a Ruger Express 7mag with the wood stock and factory pad. The recoil from the BP stock is noticeably worse than the Express, even using slightly less bullet weight in the BP.
Blaser R8. 40 caliber choices, left or right hand.
Originally Posted by TATELAW

Not C H but I do have a Boat Paddle 7mag with a Limbsaver pad. Also have a Ruger Express 7mag with the wood stock and factory pad. The recoil from the BP stock is noticeably worse than the Express, even using slightly less bullet weight in the BP.

Well Tate you'll do. grin grin

Thanks and I'm not surprised. That wouldn't keep me from having a 270, 06, 7 RM for a 'hunting' rifle. I have a Win 70, 300 WM in a Winlight. I don't have any problem hunting and killing deer with it.

Like I said, I always liked the B Ps but just didn't get one.

Thank You

Jerry

The .338 has a Limbsaver on it, which helps quite a bit compared to the Ruger tire tread it had before. I usually shot it with heavy clothing (hunting) or whit a PAST shoulder pad, which sort of matches the thickness of my hunting clothes. At the range I rarely take more than 2-3 shots with it in a string but will do several strings. My best guess is the Zytel stock is about 1'2 pound lighter than walnut, at best. That should equate to about 2 pounds more recoil for a 225g pushed to 2742fps with 69.0g powder. While it will wake you up I don't find it too bad. (About 33.8 ft-lbs vs 31.9 calculated.)

The .300 and .30-06 have the factory tire treads. They will leave a mark if shooting in light clothing so I normally use the PAST pad or a jacket. Assuming 1/2 pound less for the Zytel stock, my .300WM 180g load comes in at about 1-1/2 ft-lbs more recoil and the .30-06 168g loads at about 1 pound more per my recoil calculator. I have a laminate stock for the .30-06 and don't notice the difference.

The .338 has a Limbsaver on it, which helps quite a bit compared to the Ruger tire tread it had before. I usually shot it with heavy clothing (hunting) or whit a PAST shoulder pad, which sort of matches the thickness of my hunting clothes. At the range I rarely take more than 2-3 shots with it in a string but will do several strings. My best guess is the Zytel stock is about 1'2 pound lighter than walnut, at best. That should equate to about 2 pounds more recoil for a 225g pushed to 2742fps with 69.0g powder. While it will wake you up I don't find it too bad. (About 33.8 ft-lbs vs 31.9 calculated.)

The .300 and .30-06 have the factory tire treads. They will leave a mark if shooting in light clothing so I normally use the PAST pad or a jacket. Assuming 1/2 pound less for the Zytel stock, my .300WM 180g load comes in at about 1-1/2 ft-lbs more recoil and the .30-06 168g loads at about 1 pound more per my recoil calculator. I have a laminate stock for the .30-06 and don't notice the difference.

The weight is not the only issue with the bp stock when it comes to recoil. The stock comes alive and vibrates very rudely in recoil. I find them far worse than the numbers would indicate.
C H -

Thanks for responding. IF I come across one in a cartridge I'll use, I'll not be afraid of it.

Thanks Again

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

The weight is not the only issue with the bp stock when it comes to recoil. The stock comes alive and vibrates very rudely in recoil. I find them far worse than the numbers would indicate.

Sitka -

I knew that weight was ONLY part of the issue. The other and I expected greater aspect is the Tire Tread pad.

As you know, recoil is a very subjective aka personal thing. There are cartridges that some RUN AWAY from while others don't seem to notice.

I had a State Trooper friend that let me shoot an AR 15 for my first time. No recoil but the RACKET inside the rifle was noticeable. Kinda like it was falling apart.

Thanks for your response too.

Jerry
I give two [bleep], as long as it doesn't have a fat, ugly external barrel nut, and shoots great and carries decent. Sure, I prefer 70s too, but I could live with most anything that reliably goes where I want it too and doesn't carry or look like a bag of bricks.
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I give two [bleep], as long as it doesn't have a fat, ugly external barrel nut, and shoots great and carries decent. Sure, I prefer 70s too, but I could live with most anything that reliably goes where I want it too and doesn't carry or look like a bag of bricks.

Let's see, I have Mausers of several flavors, 700s, 7s, 721s, 760s, 7600s, 77s, Howas, several Winchesters, even an A-Bort... I think I can get by...
Yeah. I'm pretty eclectic as well. Mood strikes me, it's Ruger, Rem, Mauser, or Win bolt guns, or lever Marlins or a 99 I'm not quite done with, single shots or even ARs. I guess I'm a hypocritical purist. I'm an admitted 35 fruit, so those see more trigger time for hunting, of late. Do have that CLR that's gotta go to Melvin, also.
I have happily used Mark X Mausers, Rem 600, 7 and 700s, Win 70s both push feed and the "new" pre-64 aka controlled round feed. I just got a Ruger 77 stainless largely to get a .338-06 wannabe aka 338 RCM to play with.

If I had to have just one, it would have to be NULA. I have two and a third on order. Nothing is really comparable from those listed above.
I've pretty much done this already with Sakos chambered in .222, .243, 7x64, .308, 30-06, .35 Whelen, and .375H&H. Not about to give up my other rifles, but I could "make do" with these few.
Originally Posted by castnblast
I've pretty much done this already with Sakos chambered in .222, .243, 7x64, .308, 30-06, .35 Whelen, and .375H&H. Not about to give up my other rifles, but I could "make do" with these few.

That would be a burden...

I feel for ya!

SMILE !

Jerry

Having said those things:
I could live with OLDER Rem 700s, Win 70s, &/or Tikka (Sako)
You pick, I'm happy.

Jerry

Long barrel my 'decision' is made after 40+ yrs of rifle loonyism when I didn't know what to call it.

IMO there are a few rifle manufacturers that produce A MODEL of rifle that qualifies for serious consideration.

OTOH there are other manufacturers that do NOT make A rifle that I would consider paying $$ to get.

I'm very happy that we HAVE choices to make.

Jerry
New Haven,Win. Model 70,SS,Classic. memtb
Surprised to see so many factory choices. There are a lot of custom brand/models that would get my nod
Even most bolt customs start out on a production action, save for a few.....and they all work the same: lift bolt handle, retract bolt, close bolt, lower bolt handle, fire, repeat. wink
GA Precision.
Rem 700. Tomorrow is another day crazy

All sorts of preferences and ideas, but you would have a hard time finding more consistent manufacturing and accuracy from one maker...Sako

I knew you'd say that; what is your favorite model of theirs? I have always wanted one but don't know what to look for...

There is an AV at my local Cabelas in rough shape for $600 but I am sure I could talk email down.
Originally Posted by efw

I knew you'd say that; what is your favorite model of theirs? I have always wanted one but don't know what to look for...

There is an AV at my local Cabelas in rough shape for $600 but I am sure I could talk email down.

The action alone would be worth that if you wanted to build a custom gun. My preference is Vixen or Forester length actions as they are made for lighter cartridges, which is what I shoot the most. You have to decide on what cartridge you want to shoot the most, then get the rifle in that chambering, the action will be perfectly matched to your choice. Ammo will fit and feed reliably from the magazine and the gun will shoot real well.

My preference is still pre-Garcia guns with Bofors barrels, but that still wouldn't keep me from getting a Garcia or even a Stoeger imported gun, But I have no desire for any of the later guns from about the late 1980's to present...
I've had the Winchester model 70 and I have the Remington 700. I've never been able to decide which I like better but I've never had a CRF model 70 either. That might be the clincher.
Yeah, if you add up all the pluses: good design, quality, actions scaled to cartridges (not just shortened), accuracy, etc. etc, Sakos are tough to beat. Like Mausers, I seem to have trouble hanging on to them. I could easily get by with only one nice Forester in .243 or .308. Might be the way I eventually go when I get really old and pass on more of my stuff to my offspring. Not yet, though.
Not a looney, but some chamberings/platforms just seem to be like peas and carrots. R700 in 7 Mag for starters...
Stainless T3

P

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like my Model 70s, but....
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

WOW - Nice cat !!

Klik - I didn't know that they had R 77s WHEN you were a kid!
grin grin

Jerry
There have been 104 votes.
The Winchester 70 is in 1st place with 38 votes
Sako garnered 15 votes.
Remington 700 grabbed 13 votes
And the Ruger 77 got 11 votes

Those are your top 4.
Sako garnered 15 votes.

Those are your top 4.

NOT to be critical at all.

I think that's reflective among people who can afford Pre 64s and older Sako-s.

I also believe that the %ages from the buying public would be much diff based on affordability.

All of that is MHO.

Jerry
Sako garnered 15 votes.

Those are your top 4.

I also believe that the %ages from the buying public would be much diff based on affordability.

All of that is MHO.

Jerry

And to strengthen your excellent point, voting is one thing, actually buying is another...
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

And to strengthen your excellent point, voting is one thing, actually buying is another...

Thanks Sitka -

That is the reason that RARs, Marlin X7 (?), & savages SELL--aka- are so popular.

For myself personally--not to disparage anyone or the rifle...IF I could sell out and buy ALL rifles again now, I'm not sure at all that they would all be Pre 64s.

IMO there are a FEW good brands today that aren't custom

Jerry.
AN ADDENDUM:

I am an unabashed (unashamed) Rem 700 owner/user..however ALL of my 700s are OLDER. I bought my first 700 BDL in 1976 IIRC and in all these yrs I have NOT had ONE to give any problem at all.

There is ONE great feature of the OLDER 700s and that is the SIMPLE ADJUSTABLE trigger. There are 3 screws, 1 is the sear engagement (stay away from it). The other 2 adjust travel and weight of pull.

I have adjusted ALL of mine & a few for friends. NONE of those EVER gave any trouble. I have 2 in 7 RM and I'd put the trigger feel up against nearly any other trigger.

I have a Timney on a 98 Mauser that 'MIGHT' be just barely noticeably better. MIGHT ?

In reference to my prior post>>IF I was going to replace my rifles>> I would NOT replace these older 700s. There is nothing to be gained. They are accurate to boot!

These statements are based on my personal experience with MANY older Rem 700s.

Jerry
I love the Walker trigger.
Sako garnered 15 votes.

Those are your top 4.

All of that is MHO.

Jerry

It says "IF" and under further review not a single vote for Ruger American...
I was only looking for what knowledgeable shooters trusted most. I really don't care what your average joe is purchasing.
Actually, if this was about what is selling then the Remington 770 and Savage Axis would be stealing the show.

Jerry

Yes Mike I understood the context.

I also DON'T think that (we) those who participate here are ALL of those who are informed owners/shooters.

Jerry

*Edit to substitute those for 'we'.
Ruger 77 Mark II / Hawkeye stainless. I also like my M70's and a few others of different manufacturers, but the Ruger would cover everything from 22 LR through 416 satisfactorily.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I have a '53 FN and can't see where any Mod.70 is a better gun. Like Finn said - " Make Mine Mauser".
Actually, if this was about what is selling then the Remington 770 and Savage Axis would be stealing the show.

That is a curious statement. I am a member of two gun clubs, hunt with a bunch of folks regularly, do gun repair and modification for a hobby (not professionally) and I have not run across many 770s or Axis owners. I guess it's the company I keep?
Older model 700 SA preferred here if forced to pick 1 only. Otherwise it could change from day to the next.

I also believe that the %ages from the<< buying public>>would be much different...
Jerry

It says "IF" and under further review not a single vote for Ruger American...

And this survey is NOT from the 'buying public'. But even here on the 'fire' CHEAP savages & RAR are often bought, used and discussed.

That is the reason that RARs, Marlin X7 (?), & savages SELL--aka- are so popular.

Jerry.

Posted JUST to not be mis-understood.

Jerry
Lefty shooters have fewer choices, and the M70 that everybody seems to love is pretty much precluded. I guess in that case I'll go with a Ruger M77.
CRF Model 70. I have many.
I tried left handed bolt guns. I got tired of limited choices so I went back to righties. Righties are easier to feed on the benchrest anyway and I can get a second shot off crazy fast by keeping the gun to my shoulder with my left hand on the pistol grip while my right hand operates the bolt.
Besides, Remington and Winchester safeties seem made for a lefty.

That is something I've tried to 'show' friends. IF the safeties were on the LEFT side of the gun--where is your thumb-IF- you are right handed? ?

That is also true of hammer EXTENSIONS for revolvers, etc. When you're aiming/shooting, WHERE is your thumb? ?

For righties, the thumb is on the left side of rifle stocks and pistol grips.

Jerry

The safeties on Left Hand Sakos are also on the 'right' side of the stock for a Southpaw...
I really like the Sako 75/85 models. Shoot great, and turn key triggers. No fuss guns that generally shoot everything well. I like the safety and removable mags.
© 24hourcampfire