Home
Posted By: jeffbird Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/21/16
Just received an email notice from Midway that Winchester 7WSM brass is discontinued.

Is the 7WSM now officially dead?

Real shame, it is/was my favorite round of all other than the 308.

Midway link for 7WSM

Posted By: KenMi Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/21/16
Maybe Midway is just dropping it because it has not been produced in so long and can't be backordered.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/21/16
Originally Posted by KenMi
Maybe Midway is just dropping it because it has not been produced in so long and can't be backordered.

Hope so.

I checked Winchester's online website and it still shows a part number for 7WSM brass under components.
its a one pass neck down from 300 WSM brass.
I called winchester about a month ago and was told they will be producing 7wsm brass over the summer
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/21/16
I got the same email today on Winchester 7/08 brass.
Best of the WSM bunch. Shame more rifles aren't sold.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/21/16
Midway is probably just cleaning up odds and ends in their listings that don't have much promise of showing up. I'm sure they will stock Remington 7mm-08 again if production ever happens on that as well.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/21/16
I got email from Midway today saying five different Winchester Cal of brass has been discontinued
I think the 7wsm was the best of the bunch. Too bad they promoted the 300 so hard.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/21/16
I have the 300. It was the original design done by Rick Jamison and released 1st. Winchester modified his design to make the 270 and 7mm versions. The 270 WSM was released shortly after the 300 and both got off to a good start.

The 7mm was supposed to be released at the same time as the 270 but shortly before release it was discovered that it was possible to chamber and fire a 270 WSM round in a 7mm WSM rifle. The 7mm was delayed until a minor redesign prevented that.

By the time the 7mm reached shelves most who didn't want the 300 had already bought a 270. On paper at least I think it is a much better option than the 270 WSM, but I don't think it will ever catch up.
Posted By: bludog Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/21/16
7wsm is alive and well at my place.
RIP.....
I shoot a 7 WSM with Berger 180 VLD's at the 1938 yard man size silhouette. I modified the throat of the reamer so I have .218 free bore that is .2843 diameter and a one and a half degree lead into the lands. 28 inch barrel and 69 grains of RL-25 produces 3150 FPS.

Never used one for hunting...yet!
My guess is Midway says it has been discontinued so they can jack the price sky high if it ever becomes available again without worrying about any notifications or backorders.

Edit: I just checked and got the same notification about .257 Rbts. brass.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/21/16
I got one of the notifications for 325 brass too. Probably just Midway updating their computer system.
Posted By: Danny1788 Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/21/16
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
I shoot a 7 WSM with Berger 180 VLD's at the 1938 yard man size silhouette. I modified the throat of the reamer so I have .218 free bore that is .2843 diameter and a one and a half degree lead into the lands. 28 inch barrel and 69 grains of RL-25 produces 3150 FPS.

Never used one for hunting...yet!

Thats smoking fast how many reloads are you getting on your brass?
Posted By: bushrat Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/21/16
Originally Posted by JMR40

The 7mm was supposed to be released at the same time as the 270 but shortly before release it was discovered that it was possible to chamber and fire a 270 WSM round in a 7mm WSM rifle. The 7mm was delayed until a minor redesign prevented that.

Thats backwards, a 7WSM could be fitted into a 270 WSM chamber, the neck of the 270 chamber was/is large enough to allow an unexpanded 7WSM neck into the chamber and the bullet would squeeze into the throat, to prevent this they moved the shoulder ahead on the 7WSM by about .038" so the bolt wouldn't close on it if it were ever inserted in a 270WSM chamber. You can fire a 270 WSM in the 7WSM and 300WSM chamber and the case will expand to fill the larger chamber and the bullet will just rattle loosely down the barrel without causing any damage to the gun or shooter.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
its a one pass neck down from 300 WSM brass.

It isn't....that's the problem. And 300WSM brass isn't exactly sitting on the shelves collecting dust.
Posted By: lhead71 Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/22/16
I got one on 284 Win brass as well. They haven't made it in so long.
My favorite cartridge and I have it in my favorite hunting rifle, and that being the Kimber Montana. Factory Winchester ammo for the 7mm WSM is plentiful up here. Winchester is making a run of brass here soon from I've heard.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/22/16
Winchester did to the 7mm WSM what Remington did to the 280, assuring its lack of acceptance.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/22/16
Haven't seen much Win brass anywhere in years.

Had a 7 WSM ten years ago. Very, very finicky. Once I figured out a load it tolerated, it was a consistent shooter, but only with that load. Sold it to a hunting buddy that liked it more than I.

I like the 280AI much more. Not at all selective in care and feeding. Very accurate. No stretching. Easy keeper.
I dunno if it's dead, but I do know the last 3 big game animals shot with mine are dead. And I have about 6 lbs. of brass for it ...

Thinkin' 7mm bullets are not dead yet...
In terms of thump per unit recoil, it's hard to beat as a long range caliber.
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
In terms of thump per unit recoil, it's hard to beat as a long range caliber.

Ain't that the truth. Especially when loaded with a 195 Berger Hybrid at 2850 fps...
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/22/16
I have a Kimber Montana 7mm WSM and it's sighted in for the Barnes 110 TTSX bullet.

On 3-17-16 it put two 2" high at 200 yds into a 1/4" group! The bullet holes touch!

The 'group' was one inch to the right.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/23/16
Wonderful cartridge. Glad to hear a run of brass is coming down the pike.
Not sure why or how many more steps you'd take in necking down 300 WSM brass to the 7mm WSM but with one pass I've got about 80% of my brass being 300 WSM in head stamp name only.
Just a .040" difference in shoulder location. [bleep]...the bolt closed, prolly G2G!!
Originally Posted by Ernie_Scar
Not sure why or how many more steps you'd take in necking down 300 WSM brass to the 7mm WSM but with one pass I've got about 80% of my brass being 300 WSM in head stamp name only.

Yes, it's a one-pass deal to bump the neck into forming a false shoulder...
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/25/16
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Ernie_Scar

Yes, it's a one-pass deal to bump the neck into forming a false shoulder...

That's how I make my 7wsm brass
When you do a search on gunbroker there are only half a dozen 7 wsm items total while for 270 wsm 8 pages includes guns, ammo, reloading, etc.

I never would have guess the 270 wsm was that popular.
Posted By: 348srfun Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/25/16
Eight pages of people trying to get rid of their 270 wsm guns and accessories versus half a dozen that want to get rid of their 7mm wsm stuff. Sounds like everyone that has 7mm wsm wants to keep them to me. I'm keeping mine.
I've finally acquired enough brass to be comfortable shooting one I've had in the safe a few years.

I have a 300 WSM so I am not interested in fire forming cases with the wrong head stamp.

Be very hard for me to believe Winchester will do a run of 7 WSM brass. A call this week for 7 Rem Mag schedule run said they were not doing that one anytime soon. I don't know WTF is going on with brass supply. Anything seems hard to obtain today
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/28/16
Originally Posted by KenMi

They had Winny .22 Hornet brass marked "Discontinued" the other day; now it's gone.
Originally Posted by old_willys
When you do a search on gunbroker there are only half a dozen 7 wsm items total while for 270 wsm 8 pages includes guns, ammo, reloading, etc.

I never would have guess the 270 wsm was that popular.

I think the 270 is very popular due to the fact it actually offers a step up (albeit minor is some rifles) velocity wise over the benchmark case. Although, the 270 is not a mag like the 300 win/7 rem.

I'm not saying it matters, just public perception IMO.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Is 7WSM officially dead? - 03/28/16
I've got a 7 WSM reamer, and my first self-built 7WSM is a barn burner of a rifle... I'm fully on board. I am going to call WW and hopefully hear straight from them that they are indeed doing a run of brass. That would ROCK. Not that WW 7 WSM brass is very good mind you; it kinda sucks. smile

If I have to I'll form 300 WSM into 7 WSM but the hassle and added expense (powder, primers, bullets) are a drag.
Long live the 7mm Rem Mag !!! smile
© 24hourcampfire