Home
Posted By: smokepole Kimber QC On the skids again - 04/03/16
I picked up a new 84L this past winter, in 280 Ackley. Finally got out to the range this afternoon and shot it for the first time. Loaded up some 150 Scenars with a few different powders. The first two 3-shot groups out of the rifle were with IMR 7977 and 7828, and missed the bulls-eye by a wide margin. Shot the group on the bottom first, way off. Adjusted the scope, and I still was off the bull. Could be because I didn't bother to bed it or do any of the "Kimber tweaks" I've been reading so much about. Could've also been because the new brass had a little more runout than ideal. I sure wish Kimber would get their act together.

[Linked Image]
Glad to see your money was well spent and your time un wasted

Some have not been as fortunate
I know, they're a vocal lot.
Kimber Roulette... shoulda bought a T3 Tikkler whistle
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Kimber Roulette... shoulda bought a T3 Tikkler whistle

Is that French?
TTT for the guy asking about the best lightweight rifle under $1K. smile
Posted By: Sako Re: Kimber QC On the skids again - 04/03/16
Must be nice coming to the party late... My early Montana would not even chamber factory rounds of ammo out of the box..... So yes they had some very bad issues with quality control for a while....
My first Kimber was probably within the first 100 8400 WSM rifles they produced.

And since then I have owned dozens of Kimber rifles.

No problems.

Some guys just aren't lucky with guns I guess.

Originally Posted by smokepole
I picked up a new 84L this past winter, in 280 Ackley. Finally got out to the range this afternoon and shot it for the first time. Loaded up some 150 Scenars with a few different powders. The first two 3-shot groups out of the rifle were with IMR 7977 and 7828, and missed the bulls-eye by a wide margin. Shot the group on the bottom first, way off. Adjusted the scope, and I still was off the bull. Could be because I didn't bother to bed it or do any of the "Kimber tweaks" I've been reading so much about. Could've also been because the new brass had a little more runout than ideal. I sure wish Kimber would get their act together.

[Linked Image]

You can sell that POS to me, I'll bed it and do the other Kimber tweaks to get her to shooting better....
Originally Posted by Sako
Must be nice coming to the party late...

This ain't my first Montana. They've all been good.
There is a 270 WSM Classic at the LGS for $800 that I'm thinking hard about...
WOW - does that suck! Dibs............. <G>
Posted By: 30338 Re: Kimber QC On the skids again - 04/04/16
Load some real hunting bullets and give it a try. Scenars are for stunt shooters....
If I didn't already have a .280 I'd offer to take that POS off your hands.
Originally Posted by 30338
Load some real hunting bullets and give it a try. Scenars are for stunt shooters....

I'm hoping to be a stunt shooter. I put in for a unit 61 bear tag, should draw one, we'll see.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Kimber QC On the skids again - 04/04/16
I imagine you'll get your chance in there. Good luck.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Kimber QC On the skids again - 04/04/16
Smoke,

That's horrible. Dang thing just can't find the bull.

I've been doing some gunsmithing on the side. Send it to me and I'll fix it free of charge. Should have the work done and back to you in about 7 years. whistle
Seven years? No problem, it's a small price to pay to get this thing to shoot.
Those damned Kimbers..............
Very nice. Have any idea how fast you are pushing your Scenars?

David
You do realize Kimber has an MOA guarantee now, right?? That thing is clearly not shooting within 1 MOA of the bull, so send it back. Kimber should have it repaired and back to you within 7 years, and that way you don't have to hope 1Nut gives your rifle back :Grin:
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Very nice. Have any idea how fast you are pushing your Scenars?

David

Those groups were right at 2,900, and I got up to just over 3,000 at the top end with good accuracy.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Kimber QC On the skids again - 04/04/16
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
You do realize Kimber has an MOA guarantee now, right?? That thing is clearly not shooting within 1 MOA of the bull, so send it back. Kimber should have it repaired and back to you within 7 years, and that way you don't have to hope 1Nut gives your rifle back :Grin:

COME ON MAN! I'm sure Smoke wasn't on to my plan. Then you had to go and say all that. Would have been the perfect 'hikin'-for- elk' rifle.

Now I may have to get one of my own since 308 just isn't enough (or so I will tell the wife). Laffin'
Posted By: jwall Re: Kimber QC On the skids again - 04/04/16

Those groups were right at 2,900, and I got up to just over 3,000 at the top end with good accuracy.

Smokey - that sounds pretty good to me w/o hot rodding.
I know the 270 Win will push 150 grs @ 2900 safely.

For the 280 AI and 150s --3000 fps does NOT sound out of reason.

Good luck with the draw and hunting.

Jerry

FWIW - I know there's a diff in SD & BC between
270--150s
and
284--150s -esp. Scenars.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Kimber QC On the skids again - 04/04/16
Smoke, Condolences on the POS.

I've heard that Kimber leadership are all members of the sierra club and PETA, so it kind of makes sense that their rifles would shoot poorly. It keeps you from hurting bambi.

Good luck trying to kill something with a scenar.
Send it to Fotis. He'll find a way to make it not shoot.
Posted By: yar Re: Kimber QC On the skids again - 04/04/16
I just picked up one in 300 wsm new on Friday...Im just goona send it right back after seeing this.
You're right, it is shooting two in and one out. I'd change primers first and see if it improves. Then again, you just may have to live with it.
Originally Posted by cwh2
I've heard that Kimber leadership are all members of the sierra club and PETA, so it kind of makes sense that their rifles would shoot poorly. It keeps you from hurting bambi.

Good luck trying to kill something with a scenar.

Ha, good point Chris. I'm gonna ditch this thing, right after I burn all my Capilene in a big bonfire!

Harry, that's BS, everyone knows with a rifle like this, you vary the seating depth first, then switch primers.

Looks like you got snakebit just like me.
[Linked Image]

These are the 15th-17th rounds from a new rifle. It apparently liked to be seated a little deeper than mag length.

168gr Berger Classic hunter, IMR 7828ssc and CCI BR-2 in virgin Nosler brass.
I hope it settles in with the once fired.
Grin
About the way my Kimbers shoot and I currently have double digits of them in possession.

Harry, that's BS, everyone knows with a rifle like this, you vary the seating depth first, then switch primers.

It's your rifle. Go ahead and screwup the harmonic balance.
Originally Posted by battue

Harmonic balance? Pshaw, we're talking space/time continuum.
Originally Posted by battue

Harmonic balance? Pshaw, we're talking space/time continuum.

With groups like that I would just change everything with your load. Always change multiple variables so you can never pin down whats wrong... I learned that on the campfire!
Clearly not shooting MOA.

Getting a "cloverleaf" rifle to truly shoot MOA on a regular basis may require some gunsmithing. Specifically, I'd recommend recrowning with a small rasp file.

Some guys will just loosen a scope mount screw. That ain't skookum. It could self-tighten back up.
Rookie move Jeff. That's Is its best day. Cut to the heart and do a re-barrel.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Kimber QC On the skids again - 04/11/16
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Send it to Fotis. He'll find a way to make it not shoot.

Not sure about that but definitely would be replaced. Only kimbers in my safe read 45 acp. Like fat ugly women. You can do them but who really wants to?
Wow! It looks like all you guy's have mastered the "fine art" (according to some) of shooting these light Montana rifles.....Congrats!.........Hb
Posted By: ingwe Re: Kimber QC On the skids again - 04/12/16

[Linked Image]

You need to buy a lotto ticket....
Posted By: SNAP Re: Kimber QC On the skids again - 04/12/16
I bought a Kimber 84L MA last summer and my groups with the 160NP over the max. load of Magpro given by phone by the Western Powders ballistician are slightly larger than that. I think it is my shooting due to the weight of the rig and medical-spinal issues, but, it is showing about MOA and practice will help.

Mine is now rigged with silver Talley QD screwlocks holding a new Leupy VX3 silver 3.5x10.40, VERY nicely balanced and so nice for an old geezer to pack.

Kimber impresses me and I hope they continue and offer new models and chamberings.
Posted By: EdM Re: Kimber QC On the skids again - 04/12/16
My POS 270.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Yeah, they fu cked up and forgot to put a floor plate on that pos... Trying to cut costs I guess... whistle
© 24hourcampfire