Home
Does anyone have first-hand experience with these? Are the extraction problems widespread and real? Should the 85 be avoided altogether? I got a good deal on a new Sako 85 Varmint in 223 with in an 8 twist, but after reading many extraction issue reports, I'm concerned about going forward with the purchase.
My first hand experience with an 85 is with a left hand 30-06 which is now a 270 Win. No ejection problems with medium Leupold rings and a Burris 2-7x35 FF II.
I have an 85 in .25-06 with no ejection issues. My scopes have been mounted low over the ejection port, and the Conquests that have been on it are not known for having low profile turret caps.

If I were concerned about that, I'd mount a Leupold VX-3 and experiment with ring height until I got the clearance I needed.
[Linked Image]

Sako Bavarian Carbine, 308 Win.

Sako Bavarian, 6.5 x 55

No problems here!

JAPFT,

GWB

I've owned a bunch and have only had issue with "M" length(30-06)sized actions and once in a short mag. Smaller and larger actions have a slightly lower angle and clear scope perfectly. Even the 30-06 length can work fine with all but the lowest rings.

To answer your question; no they should not be avoided all together. If you don't have ejection issues you've got a rifle better than most customs.
I have owned a dozen or so model 85's in various chamerings and I only experienced the ejection issue with the 30-06 length actions, I had maybe 5 that had the issue and all but one could be fixed by useing high rings (which I despise) one rifle however was so bad (.270) that I had to send back to Beretta for repairs, and they promply lived up to their well deserved reputation of terrible CS and sent the rifle back to Me with the same high ejection issue, they did put a piece of paper in the box that said the rifle had been "adjusted" ...Ha!!......I owned 85 models chambered in 223 and a couple of .300 WSM's and none of them had the issue.....I still love most everything about the Ssko 85 but I dont like the clamp-on scope mounting system, the Optilok system is extremely heavy and I prefer My scope bases to be screwed to the rifles reciever ......also pray you never need service as Beretta has a well earned reputation for being pitiful.......Good luck.....Hb
Thanks everyone for the posts. I'm feeling reassured.
GW, those Bavarians sure are good looking!
A friend bought one in 7 mag. Installed low Sako ringmounts and had ejection problems. He spoke to Beretta and they offered no help or solutions other than to try different rings. Seems funny that Sako rings didn't work with a Sako rifle. He sold the rifle.
K,
If'n you decide u don't want it , I think I know where one might find a home for it.

Ya'

GWB
I have a Bavarian in .270 - it has been flawless.
I have three model 85s in 260. No issues. I want a 223 varmint.
Sako 85 Varmint, 223, 1:8, walnut, set trigger inbound.

Anybody have an extra set of one-piece Optilock Low 30mm rings or IOR Valdada two-piece Sako tapered dovetail picatinny mounts, they'd like to sell?
Theres also burris 2 piece tapered dovetail picatinny mounts as well as the IOR. Looking at pictures, the burris ones look to be a slightly lower fit.

Have 4 sako 85 models,, on one of them Im looking to put the burris 2 piece picatinny mounts on with nightforce rings.

Have S&K mounts on the others....
I called IOR Valdada in TX asking where their 2-piece bases are made. I was told they are made by a shop in TX. I was also told that the adjustable 1-piece base is made in Romania along with another 2-piece base without the extend front.

I then called Burris asking where their Sako Picatinny bases (410635) are made. The kid on the phone responded, "China".

This evening I found a couple great videos covering the NEAR 1-piece Sako Picatinny rail. It's very nice. If they'll make one in matte blue, I'll be set. From what I've read, they are only made in SS... A call to them is in order.

Across the pond Recknagel and Third Eye Tactical make additional options. There is also a guy in NZ who makes a mount, but it requires drilling.
Looked closely at those Third eye tactical,, I think they go under the name of "Tier One" now??

Unbeleiveabley have them available locally to fit a sako 75/85....http://www.guncity.com/tier-one-sako-75-85-weaver-bases-316361
http://www.guncity.com/tier-one-sako-75-85-weaver-bases-316361

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that the "World's largest gun store" stocks them. grin

I'm really leaning toward the NEAR base, but need to figure out how to make it black. Some SS can be blued. We will see.
Had a 85 Finnlight in 25-06 and 300 WSM with Zeiss 3-9x40 Z600 on both. zero issues with ejection.
I have a Finnlight in 6.5 Sweede, I get 5 in the mag and 1 in the chamber, the first 2 or 3 eject fine after being fired, the next couple are iffy. Shoots bugholes otherwise it would be gone.
I've run the same 9.3x62 with S&B scope mounted with low 1-pc ringmounts for a number of years now, works perfectly. The original spring still holds ample tension, no need to replace. But, if it wore out or was weak, I'd simply change it out for a gre-tan, and either deepen the hole to fit the spring, or shorten the spring to fit the factory hole. The only way to push the case up through the extractor would be from either a worn or defective claw and/or too little tension from binding, burrs, seizing, or weak spring. With everything running correctly, the empty will push up high enough to clear the rail, where it mechanically runs out of free space between the ejector and extractor claw within the bolt face. At that point, unless the claw gives, the case must follow the direction of the claw, clear and out. The only way to go straight up into the scope tube is from the case being pushed through the claw.
My Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM has been a very dependable rifle with no flaws in ejection or accuracy.
I talked to Richard Near on Friday and he advised against using his base on a blued Sako 85. It is his experience that, for whatever reason, Sako 85 steel receiver tapered dovetail maching is wildly inconsistent. He went on to report he doesn't see the same degree of variability Sako 85 stainless steel receivers. Either way, he urged careful inspection of the receiver's tapered dovetails prior to ordering a base. Further stating, "if it was his rifle", he would use Opilocks with their copolymer spherical inner clamping ring. Mr. Near was very helpful and generous with his time. When the rifle arrives, I'll carefully inspect the receiver and go from there.

I wonder if by "tapered dovetail machining, wildly inconsistant" he may be referring to sakos different size action lengths????

Optiloks certainly got alot going for them with ease of use, but personally I think they put a scope to high. Even there lows are set up for a scope with around 50mm objective lens.

Pre 75 model there older style mounts were available in 3 sizes low, medium and high. Low was designed for a 32mm objective in mind.

Some other options are S&K, conetrol. Both make mounts suitable for sako 85. I run S&K on 3 of my 85,s(223,260,7mm08). They are lightweight and very sleek looking. I certainly like them personally.

Dont know if Im that keen on using them (s&k) with a higher recoiling set up though. Im putting together a sako85 wsm, which will wear a nightforce scope, will be looking to hopefully use a tapered picatinny set up such as tier one or burris which will allow me to use nightforce rings.......yep probabely be easier just to use optiloks hehe!!!
I've had 243, 270 WSM and a 270 Winchester all Finnlights. None had any extraction issues.

The 243 has an EXTREMELY long throat and has been a real PITA to get it to shoot much under an inch. The 270s shot slightly better but I wouldn't classify any as super accurate even with handloads.

To be honest for the $$ I'm not terribly impressed with Sako's. Almost all the Tikka 695's & T3's I've had shot better than the Sako's I've owned.
Originally Posted by cervus
I wonder if by "tapered dovetail machining, wildly inconsistant" he may be referring to sakos different size action lengths????

Optiloks certainly got alot going for them with ease of use, but personally I think they put a scope to high. Even there lows are set up for a scope with around 50mm objective lens.

Pre 75 model there older style mounts were available in 3 sizes low, medium and high. Low was designed for a 32mm objective in mind.

Some other options are S&K, conetrol. Both make mounts suitable for sako 85. I run S&K on 3 of my 85,s(223,260,7mm08). They are lightweight and very sleek looking. I certainly like them personally.

Dont know if Im that keen on using them (s&k) with a higher recoiling set up though. Im putting together a sako85 wsm, which will wear a nightforce scope, will be looking to hopefully use a tapered picatinny set up such as tier one or burris which will allow me to use nightforce rings.......yep probabely be easier just to use optiloks hehe!!!

Richard wasn't talking about the various action sizes. He was talking about the the front and rear machined tapered dovetails being out of plane with one another. When the front and rear tapered dovetails are out of plane with one another and one of his bases is installed, it results in the base being twisted, concave, convex, warped, unflat, etc. I recall him saying he's seen steel receivers out by as much as 18/1000, while current production SS receivers are averaging variations of 2/1000.

The Optilocks are designed to deal with variability of this magnitude. It'll be interesting to see what my receiver looks like when it arrives.

i have a M85 SS hunter chambered for 7X64

when i bought the rifle i heard all sorts of rumours about so called problems, dud barrels, out of true actions, bolts that don't lock up squarly on all 3 lugs, and ejections issues.

Im happy to say my rifle has zero issues and shoots better than expected

i used a NEAR rail for greater mounting options
Originally Posted by kingston

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that the "World's largest gun store" stocks them. grin

I'm really leaning toward the NEAR base, but need to figure out how to make it black. Some SS can be blued. We will see.

Those people are out of their freaking mind on prices!
Originally Posted by cervus

I agree that the two piece Optilocks are all too high unless using 50 mm or larger objective scopes. The Optilock ringmounts however are perfect for 40mm objectives and Leupold's ringmounts for Sako are fine for 36mm objectives.

Here is the optilock with a 40mm Zeiss Conquest.
[Linked Image]

And the Leupold with 36mm Diavari.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Those people are out of their freaking mind on prices!

Yeah you wouldnt be the first person to say that. Even by local standards they appear to be dearer than most other gunshops in NZ.

You guys got it good in the US with choice/availability of different products.

Ok guys enough beating around the bush.

IF you pull out slow with a SAKO - you might have ejection issues.

So if you pussy foot vs. cycle... Buy something else.

hehehehehhe.....
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

hehehehehhe.....

So, work it fast if you want it to ejectulate properly?
Sako arrived yesterday. The tapered dovetails look to be perfectly aligned with each another, etc... I'm going to give Richard Near another call on Monday to review my findings. I really think I'd prefer the picatinny mount. The next step would be to blacken the SS Near rail to match the receiver. They're made out of 400 series stainless, so they should take bluing. At least per this site...
https://www.shootersolutions.com/ssgunblue.html

RHC I wish I'd seen your post before ordering one piece 1" Optilocks for a 50mm objective. The salesman said they'd work, but no go. Thanks for the picture.

Sako arrived yesterday. The tapered dovetails look to be perfectly aligned with each another, etc... I'm going to give Richard Near another call on Monday to review my findings. I really think I'd prefer the picatinny mount. The next step would be to blacken the SS Near rail to match the receiver. They're made out of 400 series stainless, so they should take bluing. At least per this site...
https://www.shootersolutions.com/ssgunblue.html

RHC I wish I'd seen your post before ordering one piece 1" Optilocks for a 50mm objective. The salesman said they'd work, but no go. Thanks for the picture.

Congrats on the Sako. I wouldn't worry about extra mounts,you might want to change scopes later and use them then,or you could always buy another Sako since you have extra mounts and all.
Have a Sako 85, SS Varmint in 223 on order.

Sako Ringmounts, 30mm, with a 16x40 Leupold Mark 4, going on top.

Should reach infinity with the 140 MOA available.. laugh
Little more experience with the model 85 Bavarian in 6.5 x 55 this weekend.

The brood sow stayed just out of sight behind a pile of brush and I was losing light fast. We'd had a flash flood of biblical proportions and I did not really want to cross low-water crossings if it started another deluge. So I popped this micro-hoglet. Luv the set trigger and accuracy of this Sako. POE at shoulder, 124 yds., 130 gr. Nosler Accubond, Bang, flop, dirt nap.

[Linked Image]

First chance to blood this fine rifle, so I did.

No ejection problems whatever. Immediately chambered another round hoping to get a second shot but the sounder had skee-daddled.

JAPPFT,

GWB
I talked to Richard Near again today to discuss my action and his rail. He's going to send me one or two to try. It will be a few weeks. I forwarded him the following sketch illustrating the very minor skew of the dovetails on my 85 Varmint XS receiver.

[Linked Image]

It doesn't take long to understand that Richard has very exacting standards.

I got some two piece Optilocks today and the rings are gloss and the bases are matte. I really expect more from Sako and probably Mossberg... Either way, in Order to accommodate the eye relief of a largish scope on the dainty little action, I end up with this...

[Linked Image]

These are Sako Optilock base SHORT S1700956 and 1" Low Rings S1300924 and a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 TT Varmint.

[Linked Image]
The Mona Lisa is a copy. I had to sell the real one so I could buy the Optilocks...
The Mona Lisa is a copy. I had to sell the real one so I could buy the Optilocks...
Lmao! They are outrageous......Hb
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

hehehehehhe.....

Mine Jams when I hold it upside down grin
I talked to Richard Near again today to discuss my action and his rail. He's going to send me one or two to try. It will be a few weeks. I forwarded him the following sketch illustrating the very minor skew of the dovetails on my 85 Varmint XS receiver.

[Linked Image]

It doesn't take long to understand that Richard has very exacting standards.

I got some two piece Optilocks today and the rings are gloss and the bases are matte. I really expect more from Sako and probably Mossberg... Either way, in Order to accommodate the eye relief of a largish scope on the dainty little action, I end up with this...

[Linked Image]

These are Sako Optilock base SHORT S1700956 and 1" Low Rings S1300924 and a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 TT Varmint.

[Linked Image]

I had a Swaro z3 4-12x50 in optilock xtra lows and they fit great....This was in a IV action
I had a 85 Grey Wolf in 30-06; its one of very few rifles I ever returned for poor shooting. The cold shot was consistently 2-3 inches away from those that followed. Often the follow-ups made an impressive group but not always. Anyways, Sako has an accuracy warranty so I figured it was their problem. Even better, the local dealer offered to just refund my money and fight with the distributor themselves so I took the opportunity to bail out.

I've seen cases of lazy ejection with 75s and the mentioned 85 wasn't very impressive in that regard either. Normally I expect a fixed ejector to put a empty case into orbit when worked hard; but that wasn't the case here. Often enough it worked better when worked slow. One particular 75 often can't kick out a loaded shell, but usually will eject an empty (barely getting it clear.) Every once in awhile, and with no particular pattern it will launch the empties several feet. The same rifle had a defective safety.

Can't help thinking that they might be just a tad over-rated.
I'll be the first to admit they aren't perfect. Weak ejection is common. I also don't like how square and wide they are in the belly. Feels like carrying a 4x4 post in the field. That said, nothing's perfect. I've found little gripes with all my rifles. One just needs to decide how important the gripes are to find a favorite. The Xbolt is very similar to an 85 and has some features I like better than the Sakos.
I have two medium action M-85's, both have Leupold 6x42 scopes in Leupold medium mounts and have no issues with extraction or scope interference or anything else.
Medium Leupold 30mm ringsd mount a 44mm with plenty of room to spare. I imagine even a 50mm would fit.
Originally Posted by Terryk
Medium Leupold 30mm ringsd mount a 44mm with plenty of room to spare. I imagine even a 50mm would fit.

Thanks, but I'm using a scope with 1" tube. It would be handy to have all these scope, ring type/height, Sako action size, and barrel contour combinations logged someplace for reference.
.[/quote]
Originally Posted by Model70Guy

I've seen cases of lazy ejection with 75s and the mentioned 85 wasn't very impressive in that regard either.

Good Gawd Man! Dont you know with all the Sako fanboys on this site that your words are blaspheme! Sako rifles are the best rifles that have ever been built by the hands of man!.......Ha!.......Hb
I've seen cases of lazy ejection with 75s and the mentioned 85 wasn't very impressive in that regard either. Can't help thinking that they might be just a tad over-rated.

Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Good Gawd Man! Dont you know with all the Sako fanboys on this site that your words are blaspheme! Sako rifles are the best rifles that have ever been built by the hands of man!.......Ha!.......Hb.

Yea, Model70Guy is now blocked...
I've seen cases of lazy ejection with 75s and the mentioned 85 wasn't very impressive in that regard either. Can't help thinking that they might be just a tad over-rated.

Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Good Gawd Man! Dont you know with all the Sako fanboys on this site that your words are blaspheme! Sako rifles are the best rifles that have ever been built by the hands of man!.......Ha!.......Hb.

Yea, Model70Guy is now blocked...
Lmao!! That is hilarious!!.......great post......Hb
Well a start on chart.
For a Sako stainless hunter contour, the medium Leupold 30mm rings fit a Bushnell 4.5-18 LRHS 44mm objective with room to spare. I guess I could fit 2 nickles between the objective and barrel, so a 50mm may fit. In 30mm, Medium is the smallest height currently available from Leupold.
Forgot to add this is for a short action (260 rem)

Here are the numbers for 30mm
Medium 0.86 high (fits a 44mm with room to spare)
High 1.06 high (would do a 50mm for sure)
Super high 1.16 high

Here are the numbers for 1 inch
Low 0.76 high
Medium 0.86 high
High 1.06 high
Super high 1.16 high
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6588916/New_Sako_85_Black_Bear_9_3x62

On my M-action, the lowest 1-pc Optilok Ringmounts, place the scope optic center approximately 1.64" above the bore center line over the chamber. With the factory Sako stock, and using a sighting tube to measure sighting height for custom mounts to place the scope at my perfect height when properly mounting the rifle, the factory 1-pc mounts are nearly perfect for my fit.

I have never understood why one would care less about gaps over the barrel, as long as the scope fits and it places the scope center for correct alignment. But, I am not a stock crawler, and it does appear that most, here, tend to crane their necks when mounting rifles, even when mounting shotguns. I always took that as bad form, but if it works, then likely the ergos of a Sako would be a poor fit for that style of shooting.

Also, I'd never recommend a 75/85 scope base that crowds the ejection port. Bad idea.
Anybody know the largest objective one can use on the Sako Varmint with the one piece Ringmounts?

Originally Posted by GaryVA
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6588916/New_Sako_85_Black_Bear_9_3x62

On my M-action, the lowest 1-pc Optilok Ringmounts, place the scope optic center approximately 1.64" above the bore center line over the chamber. With the factory Sako stock, and using a sighting tube to measure sighting height for custom mounts to place the scope at my perfect height when properly mounting the rifle, the factory 1-pc mounts are nearly perfect for my fit.

I have never understood why one would care less about gaps over the barrel, as long as the scope fits and it places the scope center for correct alignment. But, I am not a stock crawler, and it does appear that most, here, tend to crane their necks when mounting rifles, even when mounting shotguns. I always took that as bad form, but if it works, then likely the ergos of a Sako would be a poor fit for that style of shooting.

Also, I'd never recommend a 75/85 scope base that crowds the ejection port. Bad idea.

Gary, I think that it is not desirable to have a large scope to barrel gap because this excess scope height tends to exaggerate cant errors. Link show how cant is an issue.

http://www.arld1.com/targetplottrajectory3.html

Cant can be resolved by adjusting the scope horizon, but the issues still come into play if the rifle is tilted from this new reference frame. Lower alignment helps mitigate this issue.

Also for most modern stocks designed for scope mounting, a close scope gives the best solid cheek weld. High scopes tend to give more of a "chin" weld.

The third issue to consider when looking at optimum scope height is eye position. For multiple shots eye strain and fatigue could cause issues. Not a big deal for one shot, but PD hunting or matches could be problematic.

Neck "craning" I guess means bending the neck to meet the stock. That act has some benefits and some disadvantages. Tilting the head preventing the ears from being level makes the body sway. Tilting the head down generally assures a good cheek weld, but puts tension on the neck and spine. Generally cheek weld is more important, but getting both a cheek weld, and straight neck is he reason for adjustable cheek rests found on match guns. Generally the rule is bring the stock to the cheek with an erect neck. Again this is difficult with a fixed stock, that was mass produced for all bodies and shooting positions.

Anyway that is the reason for some of the voodoo that people repeat. It all depends on making the shot, so the above is just from a classic coaching guideline. I was a rifle coach at a big university, and that is the stuff we accepted as gospel. Shooters break these rules, but rule breaking generally makes stability more challenging.

Cliff notes: High scopes tend to be bad for barrel cant and head tilt. That reality depends on the shooter, and level of precision necessary.
Never been a particular fan of big objectives or high/super high rings on my Sakos, no matter which model...........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ya!

GWB
I had a 85 Grey Wolf in 30-06; its one of very few rifles I ever returned for poor shooting. The cold shot was consistently 2-3 inches away from those that followed. Often the follow-ups made an impressive group but not always. Anyways, Sako has an accuracy warranty so I figured it was their problem. Even better, the local dealer offered to just refund my money and fight with the distributor themselves so I took the opportunity to bail out.

I've seen cases of lazy ejection with 75s and the mentioned 85 wasn't very impressive in that regard either. Normally I expect a fixed ejector to put a empty case into orbit when worked hard; but that wasn't the case here. Often enough it worked better when worked slow. One particular 75 often can't kick out a loaded shell, but usually will eject an empty (barely getting it clear.) Every once in awhile, and with no particular pattern it will launch the empties several feet. The same rifle had a defective safety.

I never shot the pre 64 I owned briefly but have still owned and sold a lot of Model 70's in all iterations. The last one I owned was sold on the classified's a few months ago and I will not own another ever. I have never seen such inconsistent rifle quality ever, every last one was a project . Never ever again.
Originally Posted by Northman
Anybody know the largest objective one can use on the Sako Varmint with the one piece Ringmounts?

On an XS Varmint one piece Optilocks won't accommodate a 50mm objective, a 44mm should be fine.
© 24hourcampfire