Home
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Model 7 stock choices - 05/16/16
I recently have come into a Model 7 in 308 blued with a wooden stock ad a 20 inch barrel. Its a gift from my father who bought it in the mid 90s and is not able to hunt. He left it with my cousin in my hometown prior to moving to California and I will retrieve it when I get up there for a deer hunt this year. I think he hunted with about three times. My cousin reports its in great shape , no rust in or out. I would like to keep it and use it as a general purpose lighter weight deer and hog woods rifle.
I will put a VX3 2.5-8x36 mounted on talley LWs for a optics upgrade. I am looking for options for a drop in stock. Mc millian is my first choice but I am wondering if there is second lower cost option I should be looking at.
I have plenty of 8-9 lb rifles so I am looking to make this one lighter for carrying around in hilly or swampy country.
Posted By: GonHuntin Re: Model 7 stock choices - 05/16/16
I have/had Bell and Carlson, HS Precision and a few different McMillan stocks on Model 7s and, if I needed another, I'd buy a McMillan KS stock.
Gonhuntin, i dont see a ks stock on the mcmillan website.
Posted By: GonHuntin Re: Model 7 stock choices - 05/16/16
I don't either, but McMillan started selling them in 2012, give them a call.
Thanks
Posted By: toad Re: Model 7 stock choices - 05/16/16
McMillan M7 KS Edge with no paint.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice rifle Toad.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Model 7 stock choices - 05/16/16
Brown Precision will make you the KS or FS pattern. Both are very nice, depending on whether you like a cheekpiece or not.

I'd go KS myself, and like the Brown pure fiberglass version the best.
Posted By: Dave_P Re: Model 7 stock choices - 05/28/16
I'm also looking to re-stock my M7... Keep the ideas coming...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Model 7 stock choices - 05/28/16
I went with the B&C Alaskan, but found it too 'chubby' so I miked a Ti stock and duped it as best I could. A Radical Improvement..light, handles well....etc

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JSH Re: Model 7 stock choices - 05/29/16
As Ingwe stated, the standard B&C Alaskan works but is pretty clubby for an M7. I don't think there is a low cost Model 7 replacement out there that keeps everything slim. You'll likely either have to spend money or time.
Posted By: Dave_P Re: Model 7 stock choices - 05/29/16
How does the H&S Precision compare to the standard factory issue stock...? Fit? Weight? Feel? I saw one (just in the box) and it seemed decent... Tough to tell when it isn't attached...
Posted By: Stevil Re: Model 7 stock choices - 05/30/16
Wildcat Composites in Canada make a humdinger Composite or Carbon fibre stock

http://wildcatcomposites.com/productinfo.html

A mate helped me build this a couple of years ago, CFibre stock weighed 15oz

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheKid Re: Model 7 stock choices - 05/30/16
I've got a HighTech/Bansner/LAW on my M7 I put together. Great stocks and cheaper than a Mickey if you do the work yourself. Mine weighs 20oz bedded with MarineTex and with a 1" Pachmyer pad.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Model 7 stock choices - 05/30/16
This is an HS Precision I put on my Model 7 in 338 Fed. In comparison to the factory stock it is a little heavier, and the dimensions are fuller, but that makes it feel great in my opinion. I had to do a little inletting to get a good fit and then I glass bedded the action. I was wanting a little more to hang on to and wanted a stiffer stock. The HS Precision fills the bill. I used one to build a 260 Rem on the Model 7 action too. I wouldn't trade either of them for a box full of any other brand stock.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RinB Re: Model 7 stock choices - 05/30/16
I have had several of the Bansner M7 stocks. I really like them. Mine didn't have cheekpieces which for me is just fine.
I had them modified for M700 LA's.
Posted By: Dave_P Re: Model 7 stock choices - 06/04/16
Thanks MATHsr,

Looks like a fine rifle! Gotts get a new handle foe my m7 in 308... I'd like to lose a bit of weight, but it seems like that's tough without spending a small fortune. I did get my hands on a couple HS Precision last week and they sure seemed high quality.

Dave
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Model 7 stock choices - 06/04/16
Dave, to me, the HS Precision stock is as good as it gets for a Model 7. But if you are looking to lose a little weight from the factory stock, they aren't the answer you are looking for.
Posted By: Guybo54 Re: Model 7 stock choices - 06/05/16
I put a Bell & Carlson on my daughters Model 7 and it worked out well. Can't say that it was much lighter but the accuracy was better.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave_P Re: Model 7 stock choices - 06/05/16
MATHsr,

Thanks for the advice, I might have make it down to Georgia to check out your model 7 collection... You have me leaning towards the HS, compared to the McMillan it will leave me a couple bucks to apply towards smoothing out the action....

Dave

Posted By: Mathsr Re: Model 7 stock choices - 06/05/16
Dave, 2 doesn't make much of a collection, but they do shoot good. While I didn't hold back on the action and stock, I haven't put much into the finish on the rifles yet. So far I'm pretty satisfied with a rattle can and some touch up paint every year. I'll stick with that until I can decide what colors I want to use on the permanent finish.

I know the McMillen is a premium stock and has built in colors, but the HS Precision is so much better than the stock that came with the Model 7's, I don't know if I would put the extra money into a McMillen. I don't think I would be willing to wait for the time it takes for delivery either.

Posted By: Remington725 Re: Model 7 stock choices - 06/05/16
I have one of the Wildcat Compositites on a 308 I bought. Very nice stock.
Posted By: Dave_P Re: Model 7 stock choices - 06/08/16
Thanks, it would be soooo much easier if I could get my hands on a few side by side....

Dave
© 24hourcampfire