Home
A few weeks ago I went to a gun auction. They had Rem Sportsman 78 in .270 in pretty good shape. Missing front sight and someone scabbed on a red shotgun recoil pad. Had a cheap old bushnell scope mounted with a tasco one piece weaver style base. Bougth it pretty cheap. Was gonna use it for trade bait on something not so gay as a .270 or send it off to be rebored to a Whelen or .338-06.

I cleaned it up and adjusted trigger. Got the urge to shoot it so I bought a box of the Hornady 130 whitetail factory loads. Mounted up my old old trusty 6x leupold friction adjust scope. This scope goes on every rifle I buy for initial shooting as it is rock solid. Took 2 shots to zero then proceeded to shoot two 3 shot groups that went 7/8" and 3/4" If you overlapped the two group they would be right at 1". The factory loads clocked 2900 fps from the 22" barrel.

Now my wheels are churning should I keep it. Put it in a Mcmillan stock. Im sure I can duplicate the Hornady load and maybe better it.

Is it gay to own a .270 ?

The action on this thing is smooth as glass and the trigger is better then my Timney.
The 270 may be dated, but take a look at the ballistics. For medium game, there are few rifles that can better it by a meaningful difference at hunting ranges. I groan too when I find a beautiful custom rifle, but then see it's in 270. But in real terms, it's one of the best.
I'd get a bunch more use out of it as a 270 than I would the other choices.
Buy a front sight, swap the recoil pad and you're done.

I have a 6.5x284 that duplicates your 270 and it shoots a little better but it's the long way around the barn to get to the same place you're at for cheap!
Yea but. I have a custom 700 in 6.5-06 It shoots a little better but not boatload. So I have basically 2 of the same thing. Post is mostly tongue in cheek. But I had a strong suspicion that it was gonna turn out like that. No more money than I have in it I may just keep it and play with it. Even though .270's are gay It never hurts to have one around ammo and loading components are easy to find.

And yea about the time I picked up my 6.5-06 at the smiths I had decided that I would of been better off just buying a .270 and throwing it in a Better stock. They dont call us Rifle Loonies for nothing.
Keep it a 270 Win, it not surprisingly is a great round.
Ive had a few they always shoot good just always wanted something different than everybody else. I cant say I have ever seen a .270 no matter the manufacturer that didnt shoot pretty well. I may take it as a backup to my 6.5-06 on my moose hunt. Talk about redundancy.
Will 270 ammo chamber in a 6.5-06? If so, be careful!!
Have used one almost exclusively for PA and NY whitetail bucks since 1979, it's hard to beat a 270....
Originally Posted by southtexas
Will 270 ammo chamber in a 6.5-06? If so, be careful!!

Yep it will. Thus the factory loads so far. I keep my reloads in well marked boxes.
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

Were you gay before you got it?
Originally Posted by Biebs
The 270 may be dated.......

Yeah........Most of the cartridges the CF fawns over are "dated" and been getting kicked all over the block by the 270 for decades.

Dooooooooooooode....you should know by now....

[Linked Image]
7mmMato,

To me the .270 is a non-magnum magnum. It seems to have more energy at 400 yards than a .30-06 with less recoil. If you don't need to sell it, if I was in you place I would keep it.
This is like the current bathroom discussions. Sounds like this rifle identifies well as a 270, even if that means it's gay. If you try to convert it, you might have issues with it being confused with being born one way, then trying to make it something else. Maybe it wouldn't be such a straight shooter. Or maybe I'm just all confused! Lol
Originally Posted by NMiller
This is like the current bathroom discussions. Sounds like this rifle identifies well as a 270, even if that means it's gay. If you try to convert it, you might have issues with it being confused with being born one way, then trying to make it something else. Maybe it wouldn't be such a straight shooter. Or maybe I'm just all confused! Lol

I think you are confused... laugh

LMAO!!!!

Funny!!!
If you're judging your manhood by the rifle you shoot, you've got bigger problems than figuring out what to do with the rifle. Critters don't read headstamps, nor do they measure or weigh the bullets that hit them.

Get a front sight, switch the recoil pad, and go kill stuff. This schit is only as difficult as you make it.
Geez where is every ones sense of humor. Every .270 post on the fire has people talking about it being gay. It is like a campfire tradition to pick on .270.

I know it is a good caliber I was more making fun of myself for shooting the donor/tradebait gun. I realize my 6.5-06 shooting 127 gr bullets is damn near the same as a .270 shooting 130 bullets. Post was made tongue in Cheek fellows.

4ager Im pretty sure I can figure this out.

At least of few of you caught the humor.

Ingwe I still shoot hogs with a .223 slow twist. Will you forgive me for buying a .270 smile

Call it a 280 Rem. that shoots "special" bullets.
The 270 IS NOT a gay rifle

(if you're a woman) grin
Originally Posted by Tracks
The 270 IS NOT a gay rifle

(if you're a woman) grin

grin laugh

[Linked Image]
Geez where is every ones sense of humor. Every .270 post on the fire has people talking about it being gay. It is like a campfire tradition to pick on .270.

My comment was in jest, I caught your drift. I don't have a 270, but got a buddy that loves his 270 wsm.

Plus I'm not a basher, I don't have anything against gay rifles. smile

Ingwe I still shoot hogs with a .223 slow twist. Will you forgive me for buying a .270 smile

.223's with slow twists recruit people into the .270 lifestyle.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Dooooooooooooode....you should know by now....

[Linked Image]
Is that the street you live on,Ingwe? grin laugh

My comment was in jest, I caught your drift. I don't have a 270, but got a buddy that loves his 270 wsm.

Plus I'm not a basher, I don't have anything against gay rifles. smile

That's alright, you can probably find a straight buddy...

Charles: I used a slow twist .223AI on this years hog hunt. It worked great.

As for your question about the .270........No.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Charles: I used a slow twist .223AI on this years hog hunt. It worked great.

As for your question about the .270........No.

I just checked and found that it is not a .270 it is a 6.8-06 that sounds a lot better and makes me feel better about the whole deal.
Common sense says too close to the 6.5 06. And good chance you really won't use it...but for your upcoming moose hunt in grizz country the 338-06 would be a great asset for the thick brush those moose like to hang out in..
Turn it into a screaming zapper that makes a bigger hole than a .257 Bee!

Launch 110 TTSXs at 3,400 and crush MO deer & coyotes out past Ft. Mudge... grin
Just call it a 6.8-06, and roll. It'll still be gay, just in the closet gay and not flaming gay.
I've never liked rifles with iron sights when they also have a scope. Why not replace the barrel with one in a caliber you haven't had before and that is widely separated from the 6.5-06 -- like, say, an 8mm-06?
Ill probably just sell it. It was one of those to good to pass up deals. But I couldn't keep from shooting it.

My 6.5-06 is still going Moose hunting.
© 24hourcampfire