Home
Posted By: kman Downloading factory ammo - 06/07/16
Tell me what you think. I bought a brown box of federal 300 wsm 180gr power shok the comes with 10 boxes of ammo (200 rounds). I have shot this before and it's quite hot with pretty flat primers and since brass is hard to come by these days I thought maybe I should pull the bullets and reload it all with the same powdr but 2 gr less. This would be a lighter load to fire form the brass and hopefully make it last longer with the primer pockets not giving up in 3 fireings.

Thoughts?
Posted By: HaYen Re: Downloading factory ammo - 06/07/16
If it were me / myself / personally, I'd pull the bullets. Just the fact that you're asking leads me to believe you have safety concerns and we should never have those.

The Winchester 22-250 white box (40gr bullet, 50 rounds I think). The head spacing on those rounds would fit the sloppiest of chambers. If given a box, I would pull the bullets and reclaim the brass. But then again, that's just me.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Downloading factory ammo - 06/08/16
Originally Posted by kman
Tell me what you think. I bought a brown box of federal 300 wsm 180gr power shok the comes with 10 boxes of ammo (200 rounds). I have shot this before and it's quite hot with pretty flat primers and since brass is hard to come by these days I thought maybe I should pull the bullets and reload it all with the same powdr but 2 gr less. This would be a lighter load to fire form the brass and hopefully make it last longer with the primer pockets not giving up in 3 fireings.

Thoughts?

I've done it before, no big thing, though sometimes you might need to size the necks again.
Posted By: kman Re: Downloading factory ammo - 06/08/16
Alright seem like this is pretty straight forward. It's all the same lot number so I will measure the charge weight of 10 and reload them all with a bit less. Certainly don't want to waste the almost 2 lbs of powder.
Posted By: kraky111 Re: Downloading factory ammo - 06/10/16
Just another thought you could drop in some 165s with powder charges as are and be Milder!
Posted By: Boogaloo Re: Downloading factory ammo - 06/11/16
I'm not excited about Win ball powders, and considering the current problems with Win primers I'd pop them out too. I wouldn't feel bad at all if I only used the brass.
Posted By: kman Re: Downloading factory ammo - 06/11/16
Federal ammo has win primers?
Posted By: Boogaloo Re: Downloading factory ammo - 06/11/16
Originally Posted by kman
Federal ammo has win primers?

No...

HaYen mentioned Win White Box ammo and I hit the Quick Reply.

I think your plan is a good one, but 2gr may still be in the warm zone.

Based on my experience with other Fed brass I might drop it down another grain or two lower to start.

WSM rounds are rated at 65k psi max and I don't run field loads in any round that hot.
© 24hourcampfire