Home
Let's hear it, 3 rifles to cover everything that walks or crawls...NO COMMON CHAMBERINGS(i.e. 30-06. 270 ect...). One for small stuff, one good all purpose thumper and one for the big and nasty...points for rifle you would use it in. And GO!!!

1. .225 Winchester (Savage 340)

2. 8mmx57is (VZ-24)

3. 9.3x64 Brenneke (Any good 98)

There's my picks...
I think the following is the ultimate rifle looney do it all combo:

-.224 Weatherby, only in 1:6.5 twist. Modify a suppressed AR to fire the round if you desire a tactical gun.
-7x57 on an old German Mauser with claw mounts that are impossible to find and about a foot tall. Rifle should be re-marked .275 Rigby to make headstamped brass more of a problem.
-.404 Jeffery. Rifle should be built on a highly modified 1917 Enfield stamped Winchester and marked 10.75x73 to make headstamped brass more of a challenge. It should then be sent to half a dozen renowned gunsmiths at the cost of a small fortune to get it to feed. The third time you send it out for repair, USPS will shatter the stock. The stock maker you paid $22,000 to build the stock will have pity on you and agree to build a new one on a discounted basis for $24,000 (inflation you know) and will deliver in eight years instead of his usual 12 because you are a good customer.

Honorable mention: 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum because a 7mm Rem, Weatherby, STW or .28 Nosler ain't good enough. For extra cool points, get an original built by Art Mashburn.

Once you have bought and messed with the above and are now a thoroughly frustrated old man that has tired of dealing with grumpy gunsmiths that require seven years to execute minor repairs, sell them all at a huge loss and get a .223 Kimber Montana, a Remington KS in .300 Weatherby and a Kimber Montana or whatever Kimber calls it in .375 and go hunt.
1. .22/6mm Interarms Mark X Leupold 3-9x

2. .300 H&H Pre '64 Winchester M 70 Leupold 3-9x

3. .450 Howell CZ 550 Safari Classic Leupold 2.5x
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

-.224 Weatherby, only in 1:6.5 twist. Modify a suppressed AR to fire the round if you desire a tactical gun.
-7x57 on an old German Mauser with claw mounts that are impossible to find and about a foot tall. Rifle should be re-marked .275 Rigby to make headstamped brass more of a problem.
-.404 Jeffery. Rifle should be built on a highly modified 1917 Enfield stamped Winchester and marked 10.75x73 to make headstamped brass more of a challenge. It should then be sent to half a dozen renowned gunsmiths at the cost of a small fortune to get it to feed.

Honorable mention: 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum because a 7mm Rem, Weatherby, STW or .28 Nosler ain't good enough. For extra cool points, get an original built by Art Mashburn.

Once you have bought and messed with the above and are thoroughly frustrated with dealing with grumpy gunsmiths that require seven years to execute minor repairs, sell them all at a huge loss and get a .223 Kimber Montana, a Remington KS in .300 Weatherby and a Kimber Montana or whatever Kimber calls it in .375 and go hunt.

Can't we just learn from your experience? Or the example stated above? To be honest, I'd be perfectly content with my custom left hand m1917 30-06 and sell the rest of them. Now that is looney in its own right. However, my ultimate 3 rifle battery would look like this. Sorry, all I own is "common chambered rifles". Gave up my 9.3x62mm because it's just a big ol 30-06 wink :

1. Ruger 10-22
2. Pre 64 model 70 270 Winchester fwt.
3. Pre 64 model 70 375 H&H

Now, ask me which of my rifles would be first on the chopping block? whistle. You might be surprised. To be sure, it's not my pre 64 model 70 30-06 and custom pre 64 338 win mag. Looney how that works, isn't it?
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

-.404 Jeffery. Rifle should be built on a highly modified 1917 Enfield stamped Winchester and marked 10.75x73 to make headstamped brass more of a challenge. It should then be sent to half a dozen renowned gunsmiths at the cost of a small fortune to get it to feed.

Once you have bought and messed with the above and are thoroughly frustrated with dealing with grumpy gunsmiths that require seven years to execute minor repairs, sell them all at a huge loss and get a .223 Kimber Montana, a Remington KS in .300 Weatherby and a Kimber Montana or whatever Kimber calls it in .375 and go hunt.

Can't we just learn from your experience? Or the example stated above? To be honest, I'd be perfectly content with my custom left hand m1917 30-06 and sell the rest of them. Now that is looney in its own right. However, my ultimate 3 rifle battery would look like this. Sorry, all I own is "common chambered rifles". Gave up my 9.3x62mm because it's just a big ol 30-06 wink :

1. Ruger 10-22

Now, ask me which of my rifles would be first on the chopping block? whistle. You might be surprised. To be sure, it's not my pre 64 model 70 30-06 and custom pre 64 338 win mag. Looney how that works, isn't it?

BSA, My post is facetious but sadly, I own certain examples that are not far off from the descriptions and have had mail services shatter stocks, the latest of which was on an irreplaceable, original Mashburn and portions of it were crushed to tiny pieces.

I notice you don't have a .300 H&H, which is a major issue, and may get your looney status revoked if not rectified immediately. I have a pre-64 I bought supposedly unfired from the estate of the original owner out of the Pacific NW. Have the original stock and a McWoody and it shoots one hole with Nosler factory loads, which I bought 300-400 rounds of on clearance. I sense the rifle really wants to go back West to reside with a true looney.

1. Ruger 10-22

BSA, My post is facetious but sadly, I own certain examples that are not far off from the descriptions and have had mail services shatter stocks, the latest of which was on an irreplaceable, original Mashburn and portions of it were crushed to tiny pieces.

I notice you don't have a .300 H&H, which is a major issue, and may get your looney status revoked if not rectified immediately. I have a pre-64 I bought supposedly unfired from the estate of the original owner out of the Pacific NW. Have the original stock and a McWoody and it shoots one hole with Nosler factory loads, which I bought 300-400 rounds of on clearance. I sense the rifle really wants to go back West to reside with a true looney.

Yeah, you may have bought that rifle from a guy I know. Goes by the handle captnmidnight.... Maybe not, but I know he's been selling some nice rifles. He also had a like NIB 300 win mag.. I've actually been thinking more along the lines of 308 Norma magnum, just to be different... laugh. The rifle I think about from time to time is the custom your dad had built. Can't remember what it was, but I remember I was drooling all over the keyboard when I saw that one listed for sale. You probably know which one I'm talking about, but please don't remind me. I'm still kicking myself in the azz for not buying it... How's that for looney? crazy
My dad has built stocks for a couple of FNs and a AH Fox that I own. He is a true craftsman and very meticulous with both stock and metal work. He has studied stock building and built one or two a year for 40 years or so, but only for himself. I left my Biesen with him to study and play with this week. He was pointing things out I hadn't noticed regarding Biesen's craftsmanship.

I think the gun you are remembering is the Montana 1999 .375 Weatherby that was one of his personal guns. Cabelas in Allen, TX has it. I am beginning to think my youngest may be a lefty so may have to go buy it back for him to use someday if they don't sell it soon.
Posted By: Dre Re: The LOONEY 3 Rifle Battery... - 06/18/16
I like the 10/22, 270 and 375.
About as perfect as you can get.
But if I could only have 3 rifles and live in the woods with limited supply.
It be 10/22, 223, 30/06 and a 12 gauge.
Originally Posted by Dre
About as perfect as you can get. But now I'm Trying to figure out how to squeze a 12 gauge in there.

That's easy, a 12 gauge isn't a rifle... You looney... laugh
256 Newton

7mm Mashburn Super

375 Weatherby Magnum.
Posted By: barm Re: The LOONEY 3 Rifle Battery... - 06/18/16
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Let's hear it, 3 rifles to cover everything that walks or crawls...NO COMMON CHAMBERINGS(i.e. 30-06. 270 ect...). One for small stuff, one good all purpose thumper and one for the big and nasty...points for rifle you would use it in. And GO!!!

1. .225 Winchester (Savage 340)

2. 8mmx57is (VZ-24)

3. 9.3x64 Brenneke (Any good 98)

There's my picks...

1) 22 BR

2) 280 Ackley Improved

3) .700 Nitro Express
22LR
257 Weatherby
45-70

This leaves one a little weak in the varmint category.

Three units, however, is not near approaching the Looney classification. When one has about 4 rifles and as many handguns available that he's not yet fired, then he's getting close. Supplies of ammo or brass for unit's one might acquire gets you a little closer.
I would venture to say that the real looney's 3 rifle battery consists of 17 calibers and 35 rifles !
Made my picks long ago: 22-250, 25-06, .300Win.
Posted By: Brad Re: The LOONEY 3 Rifle Battery... - 06/18/16
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Let's hear it, 3 rifles to cover everything that walks or crawls...NO COMMON CHAMBERINGS

Seems like a few missed this qualifier.

My choice would be 22-250 Rem ai, 270 Win ai, and 375 H&H ai, because I dislike UN COMMON chamberings, and I could use standard ammo.

grin
My choices:

.22-250
7mm Mashburn Super Magnum
.404 Jeffery (just because I have one grin)
1. .220 Swift

2. .300 Whelen

3. .416 Taylor

22 WCF, Winchester low Wall
40-72 WCF, Winchester '95
70-150 Winchester, Winchester 1887
.220 swift
7mm practical
404 jeff
Originally Posted by 458Win
I would venture to say that the real looney's 3 rifle battery consists of 17 calibers and 35 rifles !

And dies and a life time supply of brass, bullets and powder for each, even for the rifles that he's never fired. I for instance have enough brass and bullets in .416 Rigby to make culling elephant and buffalo a career yet have no .416 and no intention to shoot an elephant.
elk, never heard of a .300 Whelen.. What is it??
Originally Posted by BobinNH
256 Newton

7mm Mashburn Super

375 Weatherby Magnum.

Bob, the .375 Weatherby is too easy for a real loony only in that it will fire H&H ammo. Unless of course it is an original Weatherby on an FN action in which case you get extra looney points.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
elk, never heard of a .300 Whelen.. What is it??
It's the .35 Whelen necked down to .30 cal. wink grin
240 PSP
6.5x284
9.3x62

donsm70
224 tth
257 Roberts ai
400 whelen
... I think the gun you are remembering is the Montana 1999 .375 Weatherby that was one of his personal guns. Cabelas in Allen, TX has it. I am beginning to think my youngest may be a lefty so may have to go buy it back for him to use someday if they don't sell it soon.

BSA was not the only one who was drooling over that rifle. cry Very nice work your father does. I have 3 children and 7 grand children so far. Not a south paw in the bunch...
If you're talking out of my current battery of rifles,

220 Wilson Arrow - small stuff
240Wby Mag - medium stuff
These 2 are a matched set of custom Pre-64 Model 70s

35 Whelen - big stuff
256 Newton

7mm Mashburn Super

375 Weatherby Magnum.

Bob, the .375 Weatherby is too easy for a real loony only in that it will fire H&H ammo. Unless of course it is an original Weatherby on an FN action in which case you get extra looney points.

DMD: You're right. I will settle for second level loony... grin
6mm Remington/244 Remington

416 Taylor

470 Nitro Express double rifle
.22 Cheetah

.270 Ingwe smile

.500 A2
Just pretty cute there elk...
I'm a little stinker! grin
.218 Bee (65 Win), .30 Army ('95 Win), .405 WCF ('95 Win)
If forced to choose three from my current battery I'd have to go with my 6x45 AR, my Rock Creek barreled Rem 700 8mm Rem Mag and my Rem 700 with custom shop .416 Rem Mag barrel. Could've gone with the .280 AI instead of the 8mm mag but I've killed a couple of my best ever animals with the 8mm (see my avatar).
Posted By: RinB Re: The LOONEY 3 Rifle Battery... - 06/18/16
Humm....
I like WalMart cartridges.
Here are ones which are UNCOMMONLY GREAT.

5.56 Civilian
7x57 Ultra Improved (aka .277 x 30 US 1906)
7.62 x .270 Win. (aka 300 Whelen)

Have owned lots of rifles for bigger cartridges but never really needed them cause I refuse to spend the dollars to hunt such beasts.
For me the looney 3 rifle battery would be:

260 Rem
308 Norma Mag
35 Whelen

Have two already and am very likely to get my 264 rebarreled when the barrel is totally gone to the 308 Norma (which I have used in the past and been happy)

17 k hornet
250 ai
50-110
Mine...
1. 722 222 Rem. Mag. OR 722 244 Rem... tough choice.
2. CLR/NULA 6.5 Rem. Mag.
3. Schultz and Larsen 65DL 358 Norma Mag.
Posted By: Stix Re: The LOONEY 3 Rifle Battery... - 06/18/16
.220 swift
8mm rem mag
.416 rigby
Posted By: AMRA Re: The LOONEY 3 Rifle Battery... - 06/18/16

Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1903 6.5x54
.405 WCF ('95 Win)
.22-250 Browning single shot
Originally Posted by RinB
Humm....
I like WalMart cartridges.
Here are ones which are UNCOMMONLY GREAT.

5.56 Civilian
7x57 Ultra Improved (aka .277 x 30 US 1906)
7.62 x .270 Win. (aka 300 Whelen)

Have owned lots of rifles for bigger cartridges but never really needed them cause I refuse to spend the dollars to hunt such beasts.

Wouldn't your last one actually be a .30-03?
.22 K Hornet
6.5-06
338-06
Posted By: CRS Re: The LOONEY 3 Rifle Battery... - 06/18/16
222 Model 700
300 H&H Model 70 classic if that is too popular, a 338-06
9.3x64 Brenneke VZ24
8 x 68S

400 H&H

450 Rigby

220 swift
6.5-06
9.3x62

easy peasy, these three oddballs will do it all and do it well
222 rem mag
6.5-06 AI
300 Mashburn
Here's my battery, from guns I've seen in stores locally but didn't buy:

219 Zipper Improved on a Krag action with a Winchester Model 70 22 Hornet barrel fitted up.

6.5x56 Mannlicher/Schoneauer on a Martini action with a half-round, half octagon barrel with a full length stock and express sights.

450/400 3" Nitro Express on a Farquharson falling block action, but with a California-style Monte-Carlo stock with white line spacers and a Pachmayr ventilated pad.

Rifle looneys have walked the earth for centuries, the rifles they have left behind are fascinating and frustrating at the same time. Had I had the money, I would have bought all three. Sometimes I'm glad I didn't have the money crazy

256 Newton

7mm Mashburn Super

375 Weatherby Magnum.

DMD: You're right. I will settle for second level loony... grin

Eureka!!! I know what to do with my Mauser .375. Thank you, Bob!
LH SS Remington 700 in 6x47 Lapua
LH mausingfield in 6.5 SAUM
LH SS Mauser magnum in 338 edge
1. 222 Remington
2. 7x64
3. 9.3x62
Posted By: TC1 Re: The LOONEY 3 Rifle Battery... - 06/19/16
.22LR (I can't believe so few if any picked it.)
.30-06
.17 Remington

.300 H&H

.450 Ackley Improved
Originally Posted by Dre
About as perfect as you can get. But now I'm Trying to figure out how to squeze a 12 gauge in there.

That's easy, a 12 gauge isn't a rifle... You looney... laugh

I have a 12 ga, rifle, Mossberg, bolt action, slug gun fully rifled. Once I tried to pattern buckshot and , literally, it was a 12 FOOT pattern at 30 yards! Rifled barrels SLING bird shot or buck shot!
Posted By: SNAP Re: The LOONEY 3 Rifle Battery... - 06/19/16
.220 Swift-have

.280AI-have

.30 Nosler necked to .338, wish they would make it and I were young enough to have my Dakota 76 redone to this round.

Note: If wildcats such as the above are not acceptable here, then my beloved 9.3x62s, loaded with 286 NPts over RE-17.
250-3000 M99

7-08 Sav M11

7.92 x 57 G 33/40
6mmBR, Savage target single shot

6.5x284, Savage 110 stainless

416 Taylor, Savage 110

One would have to be a looney to choose cartridges based on "no common chamberings" criteria.

Using firearms in the safe, though, I can come close:

.22 Short,
Remington Model 24 (mfg 1931) and High Standard Model C (mfg 1940), both bought NIB by my paternal grandfather.

6.5-06AI,
Interarms Mark X action, Boyd stock, Timney trigger, action trued with Krieger 24" fluted stainless barrel with "Coyote Hunter" engraved on right side.

.45-70,
Marlin 1895, standard length barrel, no ports. 460g Cast Performance WFNGC @ 1812fps, 3355fpe at the muzzle for DG, 300-350g for non-DG

Being more pragmatic and again using firearms in the safe, I'd choose these:

.22LR,
Browning SA-22, Browning Buckmark

7mm Remington Magnum,
Ruger M77/RS (factory iron sights) and 3-9x scope

.338WM,
Ruger MKII/RS (factory iron sights) and 3-9x scope, semi-custom assembled from stainless action, stainless barrel shortened to 22" and fluted by previous owner, Ruger skeleton boat paddle stock

.22 Cheetah

.275 Rigby

.375 RUM
.22LR

.220 Swift, 1-8 twist

6.5-06, 1-8 twist

Much too common stuff listed here to be a real Looney;

22 Long, Winchester 1873...

[Linked Image]

44-40, Colt Lightning SRC...

[Linked Image]

40-72, Winchester 1895...

[Linked Image]
How about:

.220 Howell
6.5-284
.35 Whelen

What I'd really do if I could only pick three:

.222 Rem
6mm Rem
.300 Whelen (makes ".30-06" seem much sexier)
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
If it's old school how about these then.

Bow & arrow

Spear

Small boulder.

grin

Originally Posted by TC1
.22LR (I can't believe so few if any picked it.)
.30-06

Those were my picks until I noticed that this is supposed to be a battery of oddball or uncommon stuff.

In that spirit:

.17 Mach2
.222 mag
.338-06

...none of which are in my possession at present, BTW.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bow & arrow

Spear

Small boulder.

grin

Count me in:

1. Hatchet

2. knife

3. big stick...... and I'm not referring to the little pipsqueak that squawks here from time to time... whistle

Phil,

You're right,

But We got there looking for the perfect 3 Rifle Battery.

Jerry
6mm Dasher

7mm STW

.375 H&H AI
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Bow & arrow

Spear

Small boulder.

grin

Rifle Looney? You need to start a thread on Caveman Looney's then your list would qualify...
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Phil,

You're right,

Jerry

Well how much fun would that be, narrowing your rifles down to only three ? Especially since the first three I might grab could all be 30-06's ! grin
6mm Remington
8mm Remington mag
.458 Lott
Sako L46 in 22 KHornet

Kimber 84M Classic in 250 Sav AI

338-06 on a Winchester 1885 High Wall
I could also live with,
218 Bee
284 Win
35 Whelen
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Phil,

You're right,

Jerry

Well how much fun would that be, narrowing your rifles down to only three ? Especially since the first three I might grab could all be 30-06's ! grin

It's all in good fun, hell if I could only keep 3 centerfires they would be my 270 Win, 308 Win and 300 Win Mag...but hoe boring would that be?
Agreed.....Any self respecting Rifle Looney wouldnt be caught dead with only 3 rifles........3 rifles is more of a "practical guy" rifle battery or even "conservative hunter" rifle battery.........Hb
I'll play.
Some I have now;
1. .250-3000 Savage in an 1899TD from 1917.
2. 7x61 S&H in a post war FN Mauser that has the clip slot.
3. .35 Whelen in a 1940 FN Mauser (I suppose I should get it reamed out to a .358 Norma if I want a thumper for bigger stuff).

Gary
1. 22 Hornet
2. 6.5x55
3. 9.3x62

22 LR

Wait, that's not looney....
In real life mine is:

9.3x62

Going crazy with nothing that you can buy at Wally World:

.218 Bee
6x52
.338-06

I can get sneaky too, and I'm not going to Africa.

All I need to complete either list is another .338-06. I'm fresh out of those.

Best wishes,

Jack
22 lr
223 bolt action

These two rifles are my survival combo and will be used exclusively for putting food on the table when the time comes. That time is coming and it's coming fast. It is easy to carry an ample supply of ammo for either rifle.

6.5X55 Swede

This rifle I really don't need but will use as long as I'm in a situation where I don't have to go back into my wilderness retreat.

Lots of folks don't see whats coming. But lots of folks see it clearly. I just happen to enjoy wilderness camping a lot more than Fema camping smile

Shod
Originally Posted by Shodd
22 lr
223 bolt action

These two rifles are my survival combo and will be used exclusively for putting food on the table when the time comes. That time is coming and it's coming fast. It is easy to carry an ample supply of ammo for either rifle.

6.5X55 Swede

This rifle I really don't need but will use as long as I'm in a situation where I don't have to go back into my wilderness retreat.

Lots of folks don't see whats coming. But lots of folks see it clearly. I just happen to enjoy wilderness camping a lot more than Fema camping smile

Shod

I see it and you're right. But the trouble is there ain't wildlife enough to go around for allthe people who are planning to go off the grid. It's gonna be real interesting.
Mine is .22 LR Winchester 52 & Springfield 1922 M2, pre'64 Win. M/70 .257 Roberts & .35 Whelen (both custom).
218 Bee
25-35 Win
444 Marlin

I like levers

Edit - Or maybe

25-20
219 Zipper
356 Win
6 mm Remington
300 WM
416 Rem

Or

30-06 M1 just for fun -steel silhouettes
30-06 O3 for cast bullets
30-06 Remington 700 BDL for everything else
.22 Short (Marlin 39A)

6mm-250 (Savage 99EG)

9.3x57 (Husqvarna 146)
Practical:
1) .22LR (Winchester M52 for me)
2) .22 Hornet or .223
3) .30-30 (Winchester M54 for me)

Odd, I know. But these three would satisfy me for the rest of my days plodding around these Eastern Woodlands.

Theoretical (for a younger more active me):
1) small capacity .22CF (Hornet, Bee, .221, .222, etc. With cast loads to duplicate .22LR, up to full snot for varmints)
2) .250 Savage (Model 1899, of course)
3) .30-06 (which can do it all, and would actually serve quite well as a three gun battery in and of itself- 110gr. cast bullets @ 1100fps for plinking/small game, 150-170gr. cast bullets @ 1600fps for target work, and 165-180 grain jacketed (or 190-200gr. cast @ 2000fps) for serious work.)
More like, 3 rifles PER CHAMBERING laugh . That way, you have duplicates and a spare, just in case something goes wrong on your long and far away hunting trip.

I usually took two or three rifles per chambering on PD shooting trips, 2-.223s, 2-.204s, two .17HMRs, etc. etc. etc.....
Frankly, you kinda need that, letting some cool down, and shooting others.

I sometimes take three deer rifles on my trips, too, a couple .270s and "something else(whatever strikes me at the moment). I've been lucky enough to have multiple rifles that shoot the same loads very well, so I can use the same ammo in both rifles, simplifing things a bit.

I simply cannot fathom a looney limiting himself to three rifles.
I'll roll the dice n...came with... 20Vartarg (sp)..7x57Ack.And the 9.3X74Imp...ScottyO. All built on FN actions,the 2 larger rifles W/good sets of Iron sights and Qd Scope mts...English Walnut with Old school cold rust blueing.
This is a rifle specific forum so this is pretty easy. shotguns and handguns excluded!

#1 - 308 or 30-06, for me it must have iron sights.

#2 - Ruger 77/357, I love this rifle!

#3 - This last spot is a bit tough but I think it would be a decision between the 10/22 and the AR15. Both are shtf guns imo so I could choose either one on any given day.
'Looney' is a bit rude, I prefer 'enthusiast'.

1. 1958 Brno model 5 22lr

2. 1959 Brno ZKW465 22 Hornet

3. 1950 Brno model 21 7x64 Brenneke

[Linked Image]
.22lr
.223 Rem
.30-06 Spring
Winchester 53 in 25/20
Winchester 100 in 284 Win
Winchester 1886 light weight in 45/70
The small game rifle would be a Remington No 4 in 22 long. I bought this one for my daughter and she never wanted to shoot, so I'm waiting for the number one grandson to get a little older. It's mine until then.

The medium size game rifle would be covered by my Browning Lever Rifle. I got it in trade from my brother that wouldn't let go of any loaded ammo with it because of his Winchester 100 in the same chambering. That round being hard to get already loaded. He gave me some 6.5/284 brass and said the rifle was a 7mmx6.5/284, and to load my own. How is that for looney?

The larger game rifle is my Frantz Sodia double rifle in 348 Winchester. I've had it a long time and when younger I could stay with most scope sighted deer rifles with it. It probably still will but not with me shooting it.
243AI, 284 Win and 350 Rem Mag.

8x57
30-06

What more does a guy need?

kwg
22LR
30-06
375H&H
19 badger
300 savage
358win

Johno
Originally Posted by stlooiearch
22LR
30-06
375H&H

Yeah, those are some oddball chamberings. smirk
Posted By: JPro Re: The LOONEY 3 Rifle Battery... - 06/25/16
6.5x47L

30-338WM

35-338WM

Oddball enough, but easy to make and easy to use to "get it done".

Were I to win the lotto and build three Anywhere/Anytime traveling hunting rifles, they'd all be SS 700 copies in McMillan Classics, one being a light 23" .270win with 130's, the next being a mag-sporter 22" 30-06 with 180's, and the last one being a heavier 23" 375 H&H.
.224 Wby

.30-378 Wby

.460 Wby
22 eargaspittenloudenboomer (look it up, it really existed)

300 H&H

375 Weatherby
Yup,based on the .378 Wby necked down to .224".
I've always wanted one
.22 short

.30 US Army

.35 WCF
22 LR

I could borrow a big gun for the twice a lifetime it would actually be used.
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I've always wanted one
grin Know the feeling. wink
22 LR
308 win
9.3x62 Mauser
Not exactly "uncommon", but I have them smile

221 Fireball- legal for deer in Ga
338 Federal
458 Win, sentimental hand me down from my late Grandfather.
Originally Posted by moosemike
22 lr
223 bolt action

6.5X55 Swede

Shod

I see it and you're right. But the trouble is there ain't wildlife enough to go around for allthe people who are planning to go off the grid. It's gonna be real interesting.

Moosemike,

I agree. The place I've chosen is enouph miles back in your average Joe will never attempted it. I also have a good supply of rations that will last many years. Any meat I get will only serve to extend existing rations and be a nice mealtime treat. My plan is to go light on the game and take only what I'll need which isn't much so I can save what my neighbor will no doubt need. My hope is a large majority will be in Fema camps and out of the way of those who are still enjoying life making there own camp. In my mind a small organized group of proficient people you can trust with your life will be the safest way to go likely with a few women and children

Shod
In my mind a small organized group of proficient people you can trust with your life

Shod

People you trust isn't enough imo, they also need to be capable!

I have plenty of people I trust but when it comes to being self reliant and efficient, almost all of them simply can't do it. I have found the best way to learn someones ability is to take them camping.

This is a bit a departure off topic but I guess it sort of goes with the minimum theme!

220 Swift
300 Savage
9.3x62 Mauser
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
220 Swift
300 Savage
9.3x62 Mauser

Very outstanding trio Must be a closet AU fan! smile
If I'm staying home:

.221 Remington Fireball
.250 Savage
6.5x06

If traveling:

6mm Remington
8mmx06
9.3x62
204 ruger
300 H&H
405 Win

my uncommon
After posting I was trying to decide what rifles would I keep if I had to whittle it done to a dozen. I hope I never have to. It would be very upsetting.
Originally Posted by Bugger
After posting I was trying to decide what rifles would I keep if I had to whittle it done to a dozen. I hope I never have to. It would be very upsetting.

I know, it's almost painful to think about!

What if you had a major flood headed towards your home and you had to evacuate, what guns would you take? You only have time and space to grab 3-5 of them!

.22 K Hornet

.260 Rem

9.3 x 62
I'll drown then.
250/3000
264 Win Mag
375 H+H

All in the Remington M700 Classic.
223- 308- 300 win mag
7x57
9,3x62

25-20 Marlin 1894CL
257 Roberts Mauser Mark X
375 Ruger African

But with a 375 you don't need anything else.
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
220 Swift
300 Savage
9.3x62 Mauser

Very outstanding trio Must be a closet AU fan! smile

I don't hate on AU, but I can't say I am a fan....

Is that the three you picked too?
Since I have no interest in anything larger than maybe an elk and if I was starting from scratch and not considering I already have a bunch of reloading supplies mine would be:

22lr
.308 win

I will admit however that the 223 could be just as well replaced by a .222 or 22-250. The 308 could just as well be covered by anyone of a dozen mid sized cartridges such as the .270, 30-06, 7x57 etc. in Ky 270 is min for elk.
.19 Calhoun
.256 Newton
9.3x64
All in classic wood stock rifles blued steel and for extra points the Newton should be a Newton Rifle and the 9.3 should be on a fine custom mauser
.224 TTH
.318 Westley Richards Accelerated Express
.450/400
This topic should have a poll to track the popularity of the three choices because there's just too many selections in here to keep track of!

22 long rifle
25-06

These would cover anything I'm going to hunt. If not, I'd borrow a big boomer for Africa.
Posted By: RJM Re: The LOONEY 3 Rifle Battery... - 06/30/16
Light rifle: SAKO Vixen .222 Remington Magnum

Medium Rifle: Custom light weight Mauser in 9x57mm

Heavy: .405 Winchester Double Rifle (one of the members here has one that is just fabulous)
20 Tactical
6.5X06 - 256 Newton
375 H&H AI
5mm RF
6mm Remmy-700 BDL Varminter, 24" pipe.
7mm Bee- 70 Winchester Stainless, 26"tube.
Don't "need" 3 rifles when the .300 Whelen will do it all. wink smile
© 24hourcampfire