Home
Posted By: laker 338 win mag in a mcmillan edge - 06/19/16
I'm thinking about putting a 338 win mag into a mcmillan edge classic stock I have. I'll probably knock the barrel off at 23" and top it with a Leupold 6x42. I think it would make a pretty slick elk rifle. Is a 338 win mag in an edge a good idea or a bad idea?
I have a .338 Win in an older McMillan Mountain Hunter Kevlar Special, stock weighs 27 ounces, so halfway between the weight of an EDGE and a standard fill fiberglass.

I would not build it that way again. Instead I would go standard fill Classic and bed it right.

McMillan will recommend magnum fill on that caliber. If you decide to go EDGE, a proper bedding job which reinforces the action area would be pretty much a necessity IMO, or it's going to give.

Originally Posted by RickBin
I have a .338 Win in an older McMillan Mountain Hunter Kevlar Special, stock weighs 27 ounces, so halfway between the weight of an EDGE and a standard fill fiberglass.

I would not build it that way again. Instead I would go standard fill Classic and bed it right.

McMillan will recommend magnum fill on that caliber. If you decide to go EDGE, a proper bedding job which reinforces the action area would be pretty much a necessity IMO, or it's going to give.

Awesome advice right there..
Laker I would not go Edge in 338. Standard or magnum fill.
Originally Posted by laker
I'm thinking about putting a 338 win mag into a mcmillan edge classic stock I have. I'll probably knock the barrel off at 23" and top it with a Leupold 6x42. I think it would make a pretty slick elk rifle. Is a 338 win mag in an edge a good idea or a bad idea?

Were I doing a 338 WM and wanted it in a fiberglass stock, I'd bypass McMillan and go right to a Bansner. Really, better ergos for a 338-sized rig than the bulk of McMillan's, and tough enough for the round, while still darn light (25-26 oz's)

And I say that as a guy that currently has three McMillans in the house.

I had a M70 338 in a McM Supergrade with edge fill. When I ordered it, McM's policy was 338wm max. Now they say 300wm max I believe.

It worked fine for the couple of hundred rounds I used it for.
I just put a 338 in an EDGE stock with standard fill. It has also been cross bolted.
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
I just put a 338 in an EDGE stock with standard fill. It has also been cross bolted.

There is no such thing as an "edge" stock with standard fill...
Yes there is Brad. Graphite shell. Standard fill.
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll just leave the McMillan edge on the Mashburn for now until another hair brained idea comes along.
until another hair brained idea comes along.

Welcome to the club, brother. grin

I can echo what Brad mentioned above.

I had a .338 in a Bansner stock. And I had a McMillan standard fill on hand to vet the one I liked better prior to pillar bedding.

It could have been ergos but I suspect the Bansner has/had a little more flex to it so recoil wasn't nearly as noticeable with it as it was the McMillan. I went with the Bansner for that rifle.
Not a 338 Winnie, but I got a 300 RUM that has been sitting in a McMillan EDGE stock for about 8 years now.
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Not a 338 Winnie, but I got a 300 RUM that has been sitting in a McMillan EDGE stock for about 8 years now.

How often do you shoot that rifle? Seems like an accident waiting to happen. That's a lot of recoil for an edge stock. Hopefully nothing ever happens there. Regards...
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Yes there is Brad. Graphite shell. Standard fill.

"Edge Fill" is the one and only thing that makes an "Edge Stock"... "Standard Fill" does not meet the criteria.
So Brad, what is a fiberglass shell with Edge Fill? You're naming it what you would like to call it, but that's how I ordered it and that's what I got.
For years I just ordered Brown's made of fiberglass for 300's 338's and 375's. Some had graphite reinforcement here and there and some did not. All shot well and like Scott said they tend to flex a bit so even hard recoiling rifles were comfy.

At the same time friends and I had 4-5 McMillans made for Sako's and bedded M70's in them chambered 300 mags and 338. These were stiffer.

Have had only 3 recent McMillans; two Edge and one mag fill in 375. So, I go by what Gene and Darcy have to say and both urge standard or mag fill for 300 mags and up.They seem to know this based on building custom rifles and watching what shoots/works and what does not consistently and over the long haul.

I handled a raw unbedded Legend standard fill the other day built for a 375 H&H;it was cross bolted. Since it came from DArcy I'd have built a 338 or 300 mag,or 375 H&H on that stock n a heartbeat. I may STILL buy it... nice stock! smile

An update of sorts...I just got off th phone with Darcy who was kind enough to call direct on this issue after I emailed him.

I wil paraphrase since the conversation was long but the bottom line is that you can get:

-An Edge shell with Edge fill(likely what I have on my Mashburn).

-An Edge shell with Standard fill.

-An Edge shell with Magnum fill. (!)

Of course the other fills will add a little weight.

Darcy knows this because he has Edge stocks with all three fills set up for work on the machines right now... smile

I will take the risk of quoting him since I was listening but not taking notes, but he told me that he would consider the 300 Win Mag to be the upper limit of cartridge for use in an Edge stock with Edge fill.

Whats the difference between the various fills? Again at the risk of paraphrasing him, it seems that with the more powerful cartridges the lighter stocks/fills show a bit more sensitivity to loads and accuracy than the same chambering in the heavier fills or shells,like standard or magnum. He has seen this numerous times working with lots of rifles, not just samples of one They get fussier,and he has seen rifles original bedded in Magnum stocks that shot in the .3-.4 shoot 2" in the light stocks. And those same rifles would shoot 1/2" in the lighter stocks but needed completely new load work up to do that.In other words they got very fussy.

I told him I would be ordering a Legend Edge for a pre 64 M70 FW and he thought going with standard fill was a pretty good idea.I will take that advice. smile
Great info Bob. Thank you.
No problem Scotty just passing along info. Darcy did say that McMillan has been very accommodating in mixing/matching these combos and thinks that a guy can have whatever mix he wants, assuming he has the time for a special order,and a check of course!

Here's a visual of a couple of stocks D'Arcy has in the works. Top stock is an EDGE shell with regular EDGE fill.

Bottom stock is an EDGE shell with MAGNUM fill. You can see the difference in the types of fills used.

Thanks to Darcy for taking the time to help us with this

[Linked Image]
My 7RM with 6x42 M1, LW's in a standard fill Classic is 8#1oz. Wouldn't want it any lighter and at 24" balances really nice.
[Linked Image]
I have ran this set up for 15 years and would do it exactly all over again. When this barrel is shot out it will be replaced and nothing else changed.

Standard 700 S/S BDL in .338 Win Mag of course. Brown stock, Rick Bin did the paint 13 yrs. ago, barrel shortened to 22.5". Karl did his bolt thing. Warne steel bases & Burris Signature Zee rings. Leupy 3.5-10x42.

I may upgrade the glass soon.

[Linked Image]
Thanks guys. I'll probably just end up going 338-06. I've always been a sucker for a 338-06
Thanks guys. I'll probably just end up going 338-06. I've always been a sucker for a 338-06

I have three of those in my safe, all Remington 700s.
One McMillan, one Brown, and one
Banser.
Just my preference, but I like the Banser best.

I have three of those in my safe, all Remington 700s.
One McMillan, one Brown, and one
Banser.
Just my preference, but I like the Banser best.

What are your build specs and weights on these?
Weights I don't know, but the Micky has a 22" Shilen #4.
It's the only one I had built
The Brown has a 24" Shilen (I think), maybe a factory profile.
The Banser I bought as a barreled action, 23 " Lilja, another slim profile
The Micky is the heaviest, Brown next, then the Banser.
I'd say the barrels have more to do with that than the stocks.
The mickey is the most accurate, most likely because I had the 'smith build it specifically for the 210 Nosler, all it's ever shot.
Sorry to not provide more info, but I'm not a real rifle Looney, I just hang around the edges of the group.
Tracks the edge of the group is probably the safest place to be.
Bansner.
After a lot of debating, I picked a Bansner but it isn't finished yet. Part of the reason is that Brad hasn't convinced me to chop my 338 down to 22", I think edge is better proportioned for the 22 inch barrel and I am keeping mine at 24. I like the ergo's of the Bansner. Brad is probably right on the 22" though.
22" for the win smile
Originally Posted by smallfry
After a lot of debating, I picked a Bansner but it isn't finished yet. Part of the reason is that Brad hasn't convinced me to chop my 338 down to 22", I think edge is better proportioned for the 22 inch barrel and I am keeping mine at 24. I like the ergo's of the Bansner. Brad is probably right on the 22" though.

I agree with Brad on the Bansner. It's going to soak up more recoil because of the ergos (more of a parallel comb and not so much drop at the comb). However, I'd leave it at 24". Here's a 30-06 sporter I had in a Bansner. It sported a 24" tube:

[Linked Image]
I like my .338 XCR much better since Brad convinced me to chop it. Now I can't remember if it's 22" or 23", though. grin
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I like my .338 XCR much better since Brad convinced me to chop it. Now I can't remember if it's 22" or 23", though. grin

If it's 23", it's likely Dober convinced you... wink

Brad sold me on the 22" 338 when I had one built. One of my better decisions.
Despite what some may claim, he's not often wrong .

If you reload you can have a .338 Fed or 338-06 by downloading a .338 Win Mag. I have been doing that for years. A few years ago when we were all in hoarding mode I bought 2 lifetime supplies of 180 BT's from Shooters Pro Shop. These thing shoot light out with a reduced load of H4895 around 2800 fps. This load is great for deer and hogs. I also tried the 60% rule of H4895 and I get around 2000 fps with the same 180's for a great plinking/position shooting ammo that is easy on the shoulder.

For elk and mulies I can load it back up to 338 Win Mag velocities. As a Loony, I could never be a 1 rifle man but if a cruel fate destine me too I could be a 1 rifle man with my .338
I have and have had .338WM rifles in McMillans-5, MPI-Dakota 76 factory-1, Rimrocks-2, Clifton-1 and Browns, can't recall, but, have six now and have owned/used seven over some 31+ years with plastic handles.

I also have several rifles with Micky Edge stocks, Edge fill and my largest is a Brno ZG-47 in 9.3x62, which I am a tad nervous about.

I would NOT use an Edge-Edge stock for a .338WM, I load 250s only and much prefer 24" of tube, but, have shorter ones.

YMMV, JMHO after many years with this round.
I agree with SNAP. Would not go Edge/Edge with a 338 and would limit it to 300 WM as D'Arcy suggested..

Although I was unaware it was possible to get other fills for an Edge shell,before hearing it from Pathfinder and confirming with Darcy.

This opens up new possibilities for sure.
I started using the .338 around 30 years ago, after building one on an FN Mauser commercial action. The rifle evolved over time, through changes in barrel, stocks, scope, mounts, etc., partly because the first thing I noticed was the cartridge didn't generate as much recoil as some people claimed.

Within about 10 years the rifle's overall scoped weight dropped from over 9 pounds (which some said was necessary to tame the fearsome recoil) to an ounce under 7-1/2 pounds. During that period I also noticed 250-grain bullets weren't necessary, since newer 200-225 grain bullets penetrate plenty.

The stock is a Bansner, with the forend shortened a little. The barrel is 22" long, which obviously reduces velocity so much some bullets will bounce off larger big game, but apparently have been lucky.

Bansner stocks fit me a little better than McMillan's shapes, but that depends on the individual.

Have also owned two .338-06's and a .338 Federal, but eventually decided a light .338 Winchester worked just as well, since back when mine first appeared I found it easy to load to the same velocities, with fine accuracy.
Must be shooting them there Afreekin Rhinophants again, eh!? wink

Never yet had a bullet "bounce off" any BC animals, have 22.5, 23 and 24" tubes, as well as 25" and had 26" on a Ruger No. 1. I just prefer to use 23-24" as I use irons on my mediums and the sight radius works for my 70 year old eyes.

That said, I now carry my KMA-280AI-160 NP, most of the time. Old age, busted up carcass, what can I say, eh! smile
John: Bansner has always been good stock. Had a few but for some reason none in calibers larger than a 7 mag.
I have four Bansners and like them very much, but, the original AHR-Micky on my custom CZ-550-9.3x62, AHR trigger and 3-pos. is THE bomb for me. super nice handle and really elegant.

This was a Jerry Fisher design, I'm told, so, one expects the best, eh.

If, I were 40 again and was "smart", I would buy one of the new Joe Smithson rifles on the GM Mauser action in 9.3x62, sts tube and with that and maybe my KMA, call it good.
Bob,

Have a Bansner on my 9.3 B-S too, which with the present scope weighs 7 pounds on the nose. I tend to use a 9.3 of some sort these days when a bullet weight of 250+ seems like it might be a good idea, and it's not too annoying to shoot at all with 250's at @ 2650.
I've had a bansner too, my favorite 338 win mag is in a Brown pounder though. Pretty much the same ergos, except for a longer grip (which I prefer) and lighter weight than the Bansner. This rifle has a 24" tube:
[Linked Image]

I've had many 338's over the years and much prefer that length. I've had 26" barreled rifles and can't stand them. Cutting them down to 24" was like giving them a new lease on life. Hell, Brads idea of a 22" or 23" barreled 338 is a good one too.... As long as it isn't counterintuitive to balance...
I like 23" tubes, have one and a custom sts 22.5"er, but, there is more muzzle blast and I find no difference in portability.

So, I would go sts cutrifled No 3 at 24" if I were to now build my "dream" .338WM and would gio 4+1 to about 8.25 scoped.

I shoot 250s largely due to the 210NP would not group well in my original P-64 Alaskan, while 250s do sub-moa. I like to keep things simple with the same trajectories as I am old and not very bright......works for me since January, 1968.
Yeah yeah 22, 22.5, 23 inch barrels don't any of you own 24s grin I think Brads 270 is even 23".
My 338 is in a Bansner with a #3 barrel 22" long.
It weighs 7 3/4lbs and with a deccelerator pad it it doesnt seem to kick as much as my 9.3x62 with a walnut stock that weighs a half pound more.

[Linked Image]
Yeah yeah 22, 22.5, 23 inch barrels don't any of you own 24s grin I think Brads 270 is even 23".

My 270's are 22" and 22.5"! laugh
I'm not as experienced as many here, but I went back through my records and found I've owned 5 338 WM's, 1 Ruger, 1 Rem 700, and 3 Win M70's. All but the Ruger had 22" barrels. I've used them mostly on elk, though have used them on antelope and carried one on an Alaskan moose hunt.

I've mostly found those that discourage the idea of a 22" 338 WM have never used one.

Were I building a 338 WM tomorrow it would be on an M70 or similar action, 22" no. 2-3 barrel, and Bansner (High Tech) stock.
Unbelievable, just when I thought I was going to bed as a sane man! crazy
Have had two with 22" , several with 24" and one with a 21".
I did lots of chronograph work. I preferred a 22" with about .615-.625" @ muzzle.
Sold all and now use a Whelen, 22", in a Hunters Edge.
No problem.
Never owned a 22" but friend did and i shot his a lot. Mine have been 23-24. I have found the differences minor.

Have a 375 going together with a Krieger tube I got from RinB. It will finish 23"

Poifect! smile
Many years ago, my best buddy, a superb shot and fine builder of mostly using rifles on P-64 actions, had one of those Sako stutzen carbines in .338. It shot well and since he was a working bushman, carrying in Grizzly country, while working solo each day on foot for weeks at a stint, it's 55mm tube was handy.

I was also bushwhacking for my din-dins and we met at a now closed Vancouver area rifle club and despite the 21 year difference in our ages and ethnic differences, hit it off and are still close friends. I told him of my strong preference for CRF and he let me shoot his Sako.

It was accurate and nice to handle, got 2700 with 250NPs, BUT, the blast just rocked my skull and I carried on with my longer tubes.

Several years ago, he was experimenting with .375H&H working rifles and I finished one he started on an "old" Mod. 70 as I was then considering going back to work alone in the mountains. It has a 20" tube and is both nice to pack and VERY accurate. But, I seldom shoot it due to blast.

Last month, we were shooting and he had his latest P-64-.375 with a 21" tube and we both like this one a bit more....."looneyism", thy name is rifle lover!!!!! smile

Frankly, I doubt it makes ANY REAL difference between 22-25" tubes, have 22.5, 23,and 25" and had the 26 and several 24s. I now just like a slightly longer tube due to blast, but, I might change tomorrow as the 23"s are so nice in balance and both the Dakota 76s I had shot "bugholes".

All this gack is fun and shows just how lucky we are to have all of these choices.
You guys running bansners do you order them and then finish them yourself or are you ordering directly from bansners finished? What do they run for price finished from them?
I bought mine unfinished, the last one I smoothed out and sent it out for paint and pad then had a 'smith inlet and bed
Back when my M70 was a .338WM I had it stocked with a Bansner. Great stock. This was about 7 years ago. I didn't want to wait for a McMillan and the Bansner was only like $260 (unfinished). They installed a pad at my LOP for about $70 IIRC. And the wait time was only a month or two.

Upon arrival, there was some sanding work needed to knock the mold lines off...several pinholes that needed filling and sanding too. A few hours of work and some paint of your choosing and you can have a fine stock for well under what McMillan is charging these days. Of course they offer finishing and painting but it all adds to the cost. I am a tinkerer and trying to do it on a tight budget so finishing the stock myself worked.

As noted already, there was a little bit more flex than a McMillan--shooting it as a .338 was a lot less uncomfortable as one would believe. Prior to receiving the Bansner, I had shot the rig in its original wood stock for initial load work up--that wood stock was a LOT stiffer and even though heavier, made for much less comfortable shooting. After swapping stocks, it was much more pleasant, even with stout 250gr loads.

Can't recall the exact weight, a few ounces less than 8lbs if I recall but I wouldn't have wanted it any lighter.

Oh, and it was a Douglas cut to 23" grin
Great thread fellas. I've got my old Alaskan with the 25" tube. At 6ft 5" the barrel length doesn't bother me a bit but I'm dieing to put it into a Legend.

Great Intel for a person building a 338 though.
How about 23" with NECG adjustable sights? grin
Laker,

I did exactly what you are suggesting.

Bobbed the barrel to 23", Bridges McMillan Edge.

Rifle weighs 8# on the nose with a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8 mounted in Talley rings.
I confess to have "not" read all posts, but how much lighter is the McMillan than the "Mattel" plastic stocks of the Win.'s in the early 90's. Recoil should not be too bad! The Win. plastic stocks were pretty light, and shooting a factory stocked .338 Win.(fitted with a (Pachmayr)is not bad at all. At least, according to my wife!! memtb
Originally Posted by memtb
I confess to have "not" read all posts, but how much lighter is the McMillan than the "Mattel" plastic stocks of the Win.'s in the early 90's. Recoil should not be too bad! The Win. plastic stocks were pretty light, and shooting a factory stocked .338 Win.(fitted with a (Pachmayr)is not bad at all. At least, according to my wife!! memtb

The Tupperware stocks weigh in around 2.2 pounds (35 oz's). You do the math... My pounder weighs about 20 oz's with recoil pad, paint and glass bedding. A compact edge weighs about 26 Oz's. The bridges pattern and ledgend will both weigh more than the compact edge...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The Tupperware stocks weigh in around 2.2 pounds (35 oz's).

While that was true with the first gen tupperwares, the latest versions of SPS BDL's
weigh in at 26.6 ounces....
Originally Posted by aalf
The Tupperware stocks weigh in around 2.2 pounds (35 oz's).

While that was true with the first gen tupperwares, the latest versions of SPS BDL's
weigh in at 26.6 ounces....

Mr. Aalf, I'd highly suggest you read my whole post and not cut out what I said. I believe he was asking about the Winchester Tupperware stocks, not SPS or BDL's:

Originally Posted by memtb

The Tupperware stocks weigh in around 2.2 pounds (35 oz's). You do the math... My pounder weighs about 20 oz's with recoil pad, paint and glass bedding. A compact edge weighs about 26 Oz's. The bridges pattern and ledgend will both weigh more than the compact edge...
BSA, Approx. 10 oz. is pretty substantial, didn't realize you could get that much lighter than that cheap original plastic stock! I stand corrected. memtb
You guys running bansners do you order them and then finish them yourself or are you ordering directly from bansners finished? What do they run for price finished from them?

I couldn't get their website to open. Maybe it's just me.
Brownells sells unfinished Bansner High Tech stocks for $329.99.

I'm on my second and third 338. Love the cartridge. I've only shot 250 grain bullets, mostly partitions.

My first 338 was in a classic stock with Kevlar as material. (Win 70) A friend wanted that rifle badly. He used it for elk and deer. His teen age daughter used it for deer. They shot it for close to twenty years. He has issues with age and he bought my 270 Remington ADL from me. That was a nice elk rifle. The original wood stock went with that rifle also.

The other 338's are still in wood. A Remington 700 BDL and a Win 70 Classic. If I go to a wet climate (Alaska) hunting I'll put one or the other in plastic/kevlar, probably a McMillan. Otherwise I'll use them as is.

Originally Posted by C_ROY
I have ran this set up for 15 years and would do it exactly all over again. When this barrel is shot out it will be replaced and nothing else changed.

Standard 700 S/S BDL in .338 Win Mag of course. Brown stock, Rick Bin did the paint 13 yrs. ago, barrel shortened to 22.5". Karl did his bolt thing. Warne steel bases & Burris Signature Zee rings. Leupy 3.5-10x42.

I may upgrade the glass soon.

[Linked Image]

Hmmmm ... intriguing.

I had a nice-packing, poor shooting 700 XCR in .375 H&H rebarreled with a 22.5" Lilja in .338 Win Mag and bedded to a Bansner stock blank the gunsmith finished for me. It didn't shoot good either. After a couple years another gunsmith built a heavy .264 win mag on that action ... it, too, didn't shoot that great. At that point I sold it and moved on. However, the "why" bothers me. Maybe it was the action, not the barrels.

That take-off Lilja is still sitting in the gunsmith's shop and I still have that stock. I just bought a 700 XCR II in 7mm mag. If it doesn't shoot, I'm thinking very seriously about having him headspace that .338 tube and give it another try. At least then I'd know.

Tom

© 24hourcampfire