Home
I bought a Rem 700 ADL 243 back earlier this year as a loaner for friends and family. I mounted a Nikon Prostaff in PRW rings on a Weaver picatinny rail.

I took it along yesterday when I went to the range to shoot several rifles. I had "boresighted" it at home (looking thru bore at something approx 30yds away, and aligning scope with that object). I shot it at 200yds and has a spread on 5 shots of approx 20". I thought for sure the scope had crapped out, so I mounted a SWFA SS 6x this morning and took it back to the range. Was shooting at 100yds as I took my son to shoot his Ar with a red dot sight. First two shots were about an inch, so was thinking it was the scope for sure. But the next shot was 8" out! It's not bedded, just tightened appropriately in the factory stock. Never seen any rifle shoot this bad, let alone a new/newer one.

Shame on you..
Dam site is getting almost impossible to use on my iPad.
Oh, this was with factory Rem 100gr Corelokt's.
Did you but it new or used?
I bought it new from Academy.

Will be calling Remington tomorrow for a shipping label.
Shoot it full of bore foam and let it sit for about 12 hours. All bets are the patch will come out black and very dark blue. Probably will need to repeat the process. The former owner probably shot it without ever cleaning. It has a carbon and copper layer cake in the lands.

If at that point it doesn't shoot, let it go, and be glad it's gone. Not worth messing with loads, etc, if you can't get at least a 2-3" group at 100 yards with a basic load.
Some guns just won't shoot...had a ruger 308 like that
sounds like something's drastically wrong, all right.

Did you try a different brand of ammo?
I didn't try any other ammo. If it had been half that spread I probably would, but I figured it would just be a waste after what I saw today.

Thought maybe it wasn't stabilizing but every hole (about a dozen total between yesterday and today) was perfect, both at 100 and 200yds.
Sounds like a Ruger #1 I had...
I had a Model 7 in .260 that shot like that.
I bought a 700 ADL 243 a couple months ago and it doesn't spray 'em. Mine is floated and bedded, but 8" and 20" sounds pretty extreme! Damm. I'd be interested to compare serial numbers. Mine's early 2016 manufacture.
Originally Posted by TXRam

I am glad it's not just me. This site doesn't run worth a damn on any device I have ever tried.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I am glad it's not just me. This site doesn't run worth a damn on any device I have ever tried.

Are you running AdBlock Plus? I visit this site often using multiple browsers on multiple machines. The constant is I use ABP on every machine and I have no problems whatsoever.
Any chance your mount screws are bottomed out?
I had the same gun in SS that was bad also. I traded it, I hope not to you! I tried everything and every load but finally gave up. I thought it was the loose nut behind the trigger. It didn't shoot groups, it shot patterns.
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Any chance your mount screws are bottomed out?

Good to check for sure. Front front...
Did you try more than one ammo?

Is the barrel free floated?

Rings, mounts, stock screws, nut behind the trigger....every thing tight?
I bought a Rem 700 ADL 243 back earlier this year as a loaner for friends and family. I mounted a Nikon Prostaff in PRW rings on a Weaver picatinny rail.

I took it along yesterday when I went to the range to shoot several rifles. I had "boresighted" it at home (looking thru bore at something approx 30yds away, and aligning scope with that object). I shot it at 200yds and has a spread on 5 shots of approx 20". I thought for sure the scope had crapped out, so I mounted a SWFA SS 6x this morning and took it back to the range. Was shooting at 100yds as I took my son to shoot his Ar with a red dot sight. First two shots were about an inch, so was thinking it was the scope for sure. But the next shot was 8" out! It's not bedded, just tightened appropriately in the factory stock. Never seen any rifle shoot this bad, let alone a new/newer one.

I have the same exact setup. I bought mine brand new and shot some hand loaded 90 grain Sierras around an inch at 50 yards without trying too hard. Clean the barrel and try it again and if it doesn't work call Remington and ship it back. That's pretty bad.

kwg
I'm calling Remington tomorrow. 8+" not worth trying different Ammo, floating, etc. My worst experience prior to this was a Ruger Tang safety (wood stock, thin barrel) 270 - 4-5" that improved to 1-1.5" with bedding and floating.

I always check for base screws contacting the barrel threads. Not that, and everything was torqued properly.

Don't think it's the nut behind the trigger... Was also shooting a used Kimber Montana 7-08 I picked up a few months back - 1.5" 5-shot group with a lighter rifle with more recoil.
Given you've checked all the screws' torques, checked for interference from the mount screws and tried two scopes (which I take it are good on other rifles) the only other thing I'd try before sending it back is to take the metalwork out of the stock and check if there's anything caught in there, such as a bit of packaging material, or something interfering with proper bearing of the action in the stock (rub marks ). I certainly wouldn't modify anything, nor try handloads, either of which might give a pretext to avoid warranty.
Screw it....Id send it back to Remington and let them deal with it.......Good luck.....Hb
Front action screw hitting bolt lug
Good luck with Remington customer service. You'll need it.
Bummer dude! I've had one serious problem with a new gun, a New Bearcat that had timing and cylinder locking issues. Took two trips back to Ruger to get it fixed, but eventually they got it right and now it's a favorite. They also reimbursed me for the shipping I paid on the first go-round as well as sent me a pre-paid label for the second. In your case, maybe you should try and get the store to send it back.

Good luck.
I'm calling Remington tomorrow. 8+" not worth trying different Ammo, floating, etc. My worst experience prior to this was a Ruger Tang safety (wood stock, thin barrel) 270 - 4-5" that improved to 1-1.5" with bedding and floating.

I always check for base screws contacting the barrel threads. Not that, and everything was torqued properly.

Don't think it's the nut behind the trigger... Was also shooting a used Kimber Montana 7-08 I picked up a few months back - 1.5" 5-shot group with a lighter rifle with more recoil.

"Two shots side by side" is worth trying different ammo, and floating.

I would at least cut a couple of strips of business card and place them under the recoil lug until it rises it enough to float the barrel. This might save you the agrivation of Rem sending the rifle back to you with a note that says, "accuracy within imits."
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Screw it....Id send it back to Remington and let them deal with it.......Good luck.....Hb

Remington will not "deal with it."
My Step-Dad got a 700 Mtn rifle in 7mm08 that was almost as bad. Would shoot 6-7 inch groups with all ammo at 100 yards. After lots of wasted time on our part to get it to shoot. We sent it back to Remington turned out to be a bad spot in the rifleing right at the end of the barrel. They fixed it and sent it back with a test target. 3 shoots in less than an inch off there machine rest. Now it shoots great and we actually had good service from them. Guess we can be thankful.
Sounds like something is wrong with the rifle.

Dave

Remington shoots their rifles for accuracy, at least they used too. If I had a new rifle that shot that bad if send it back and let them determine the issue.
About the only thing I can think of is something changed after their test firing(if they still do that and I bet they do).
But I'd bet they will fix the problem.
Rather have a gun shooting 20" groups, than one that shot 2" groups...a gun throwing a 20" group should be easy to solve, because its got to be pretty obvious...
I've had a couple of older Ruger Model 77s that did not "Pattern" very well.

donsm70
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

They might, I sent a Sendero back that had a bad spot in the rifling that shot like the OP's rifle. They sent a whole new rifle to replace it free of charge.
Originally Posted by Bugger

Remington shoots their rifles for accuracy, at least they used too. If I had a new rifle that shot that bad if send it back and let them determine the issue.
About the only thing I can think of is something changed after their test firing(if they still do that and I bet they do).
But I'd bet they will fix the problem.

This is also probably not true. They claim to shoot them but it is kinda hard to shoot them for accuracy when I have seen them right out of the box missing minor details like rifling or a chamber. They damn sure stamp the proof mark on them like they shot them though.

Amazing the things you see working in a factory service center for a decade.
Sometimes you gamble and get lucky.....

My tupperware stocked Wally World model 700 ADL youth in 243 will put 3 shots into 5/8" using 41 grains of IMR 4350 and a 95 grain BT
is it possible Remington outsourced thier barrels from Kimber?
Bad crown? Sounds to me something is touching somewhere....

But yeah that sucks, a guy shouldn't have to tweak a new gun and p huck around with it right out of the box.

Just like that Remington LRR, I bought. Worst trigger every.
I seem to recall from past discussions that all problems with Remington rifles can be traced to the operator having his/her finger on the trigger.

(Send it to either RCBS or Leupold customer service. smile )

And, it's the only one of all 10 or so that I frequent.
I know a guy who bought a Ruger #1 in 22-250 several years and the accuracy is terrible. He kept it because the wood is gorgeous unlike any I have seen on a Ruger rifle.
Originally Posted by TATELAW

Are you running AdBlock Plus? I visit this site often using multiple browsers on multiple machines. The constant is I use ABP on every machine and I have no problems whatsoever.

Just installed it and things seem much better for me. Thank you.
Before you box it up and ship it back to Remington

Check it over really good and be sure it's not a Kimber
I have 5 Kimbers (2 Classics and 3 Montanas) - while I won't win any matches with them they are all acceptable accuracy wise (MOA or slightly better/worse) for what they are and my uses.
Originally Posted by TATELAW

Just installed it and things seem much better for me. Thank you.

Just installed it - MUCH improved! Thanks!!!
Keep forgetting to call Remington, just put a reminder on my calendar to call tomorrow
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

That's approaching "classic"... Nice try. smile
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

He might be onto something here
Never not intellesting,to have someone swing by a rifle that "doesn't shoot" and yard it apart for 'em,to pinpoint the glaring shortcomings in it's incorrect assembly. Seen it many many many many fhuqking times,in both OEM and Customs. Hint.

Now first order of bidness is to punch the bore to get a read on ACTUAL twist rate and from there,it's rather easy to connect dots. Simply choose a boolit of repute that'll stabilize in same,kiss,find pressure and rock on. 700 243's are generous in both their typical twist rate and throat geometry,which plays veddy nicely with it's COAL latitude. Them attributes are more than a touch handy. Tough to fhuqk up Lapooey brass wearin' a false shoulder(308 Virgins),105 Hornie HPBT smooch,200's and '17 for increased load density and reduced ES/SD. Hint.

Milk Jug stocks are always more than a "little" suspect and as per The Law Of Averages,perform best when gunned with a heavy hand. Tuck 'em away tight to the shoulder,avoid free recoil,keep the weak hand aboard the platform to keep release consistent and don't put a bipod or rest anywhere forward on the handle. Happiness is found MUCH closer to the recoil lug,less springin' things to create vertical. Hint.

Sounds like glass has been nipped,but the mounting system and it's fasteners,are well beyond suspect until PROVEN otherwise. Undoubtedly the fore base fastener is yammed into the barrel shank threads,which will turn a .25MOA platform into a Blunderbuss. Hint.

Action fasteners are also suspect,until PROVEN and that in conjunction with correct magbox/follower/follower spring assembly. It is a constant that ADL innards are reliably assembled incorrectly,in regards to the box mating the receiver's underside and the follower spring being proud of the box and pinned betwixt it and the Milk jug. Tape is your friend there,with a 3M electrical gut wrap amidship the box and a proud tail exiting beyond the stock's inlet,to be trimmed after CORRECT assembly has been VERIFIED. Hint.

Factory Ammo is always more than a touch suspect. CoreRock's "boast" an exceptionally schitty profile/BC,which by default tends to minimize a leap. That ain't great fhuqking news,but I couldn't objectively weigh ANY rifle's inherent mechanical aptitude,by a box of CoreRock's sourced pre-rolled. Simply ain't how things work in the Real World. Hint.

Why in THE fhuqk one would Mail off sumptin' so glaring in it's incorrect assembly,is beyond me...but I never was any good at fhuqking around. It'd take 10 minutes to ascertain the above,if a guy only had one arm,had a roller skate on his peg leg and was in 30' seas verifying all in the dark. Hint.

The Technical Term is: Starting At The Fhuqking Start. Rifles talk...but NOBODY listens. I'd dangle pics,but am in the middle of a Reloadin' Bonanza.

You've been led to water.

Drink it.

Hint.....................
laugh laugh

Yeah, like the time a new Mossberg rifle arrived at the store - WITHOUT RIFLING in the bore..

Didn't hafta go much further..
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Never not intellesting,to have someone swing by a rifle that "doesn't shoot" and yard it apart for 'em,to pinpoint the glaring shortcomings in it's incorrect assembly. Seen it many many many many fhuqking times,in both OEM and Customs. Hint.

Now first order of bidness is to punch the bore to get a read on ACTUAL twist rate and from there,it's rather easy to connect dots. Simply choose a boolit of repute that'll stabilize in same,kiss,find pressure and rock on. 700 243's are generous in both their typical twist rate and throat geometry,which plays veddy nicely with it's COAL latitude. Them attributes are more than a touch handy. Tough to fhuqk up Lapooey brass wearin' a false shoulder(308 Virgins),105 Hornie HPBT smooch,200's and '17 for increased load density and reduced ES/SD. Hint.

Milk Jug stocks are always more than a "little" suspect and as per The Law Of Averages,perform best when gunned with a heavy hand. Tuck 'em away tight to the shoulder,avoid free recoil,keep the weak hand aboard the platform to keep release consistent and don't put a bipod or rest anywhere forward on the handle. Happiness is found MUCH closer to the recoil lug,less springin' things to create vertical. Hint.

Sounds like glass has been nipped,but the mounting system and it's fasteners,are well beyond suspect until PROVEN otherwise. Undoubtedly the fore base fastener is yammed into the barrel shank threads,which will turn a .25MOA platform into a Blunderbuss. Hint.

Action fasteners are also suspect,until PROVEN and that in conjunction with correct magbox/follower/follower spring assembly. It is a constant that ADL innards are reliably assembled incorrectly,in regards to the box mating the receiver's underside and the follower spring being proud of the box and pinned betwixt it and the Milk jug. Tape is your friend there,with a 3M electrical gut wrap amidship the box and a proud tail exiting beyond the stock's inlet,to be trimmed after CORRECT assembly has been VERIFIED. Hint.

Factory Ammo is always more than a touch suspect. CoreRock's "boast" an exceptionally schitty profile/BC,which by default tends to minimize a leap. That ain't great fhuqking news,but I couldn't objectively weigh ANY rifle's inherent mechanical aptitude,by a box of CoreRock's sourced pre-rolled. Simply ain't how things work in the Real World. Hint.

Why in THE fhuqk one would Mail off sumptin' so glaring in it's incorrect assembly,is beyond me...but I never was any good at fhuqking around. It'd take 10 minutes to ascertain the above,if a guy only had one arm,had a roller skate on his peg leg and was in 30' seas verifying all in the dark. Hint.

The Technical Term is: Starting At The Fhuqking Start. Rifles talk...but NOBODY listens. I'd dangle pics,but am in the middle of a Reloadin' Bonanza.

Drink it.

Nice to see a post with helpful content

I like these better than most of yours
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Drink it.

Nice to see a post with helpful content

I like these better than most of yours

I would agree. This post was actually useful.
'neck,

A quick cursory glance,will resolve much,long before any time is lost in fhuqking around.

Cutting to the fhuqking chase,is my MO...................

'thorn,

It'll come as a "surprise" only to you,that I've never been compelled to take a fhuqking poll. Congratulations?!?

I'm rather at ease in speaking matter of factly,mainly because facts fhuqking matter. Hint.

If I take the time to tickle the ivories,take it to the fhuqking bank that it's always gonna be a money maker,to copy same and apply it. Hint.

Tough to beat the inherent humor of Whining Kchunts trying to manage their Hurt Feelers,as they race to poke their heads in the fhuqking sand and schlep STUPIDITY to places it's never been before. You know better than most and nice try sucking my ass. Laughing!

Pardon my being affordedthe luxury,of not being forced to guess.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.................

'Gomer,

You Amazingly STUPID Fhuqk,if someone spun you around in a circle within a phone booth,you'd have to shoot flares and call the Coast Guard for a rescue. Congratulations?!?

Rather than trying to suck my ass,simply take notes silently and apply same...because I assure you that nobody gives a fhuqk,about what Retards "think". Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!....................

Stick

There is absolutely no value added in anyone sucking your ass so don't be mistaken...it ain't me

It only helps me when you make a post that is intelligent and gives value....yesterday's did that so I commented

It surprises me ,the amount of time you spend affording me the knowledge of my cluelessness but I'm OK with your extra stuff as long as I can sift out the sand to find the gold in your post

Educational at times but always entertaining.

But watch out for the hook....the bait was easy to cast and that fish always bites

Not bad

Drink it.

Already drank that water!

When I bought it, checked all the fasteners for barrel shank/bolt lug contact, taped the mag box and checked that it wasn't binding and had some free play.

You Amazingly STUPID Fhuqk,if someone spun you around in a circle within a phone booth,you'd have to shoot flares and call the Coast Guard for a rescue.

I assure you that nobody gives a fhuqk,about what Retards "think". Hint.

Travis
I had a 7600 30-06 carbine with the plastic stock that I bought new. It too shot “patterns”. I checked my bases and rings for tightness, tried different ammo and scope with no improvement. Rather than waste any more time and ammo I sent it back to Remington. I got it back about 2 weeks later with a note that said the barrel was loose. It shot fine after that.

i dont know what kind of experience you might have had with Remington CS to say this but i have had to send a few rifles back to Remington over the years for various reasons and was always completely satisfied with their service......Hb

i dont know what kind of experience you might have had with Remington CS to say this but i have had to send a few rifles back to Remington over the years for various reasons and was always completely satisfied with their service......Hb

How recent was your last experiance?
Went ahead and checked twist, and checked for tight/loose spots in barrel - 9 1/8" best I could tell, nothing abnormal in terms of tight/loose spots that I could feel pushing a patch through it.

Decided I'd do that prior to sending it to Remington, but I'm out of thoughts. I checked the following when I mounted the first scope - no screws contacting lugs or barrel shank (front base screw ground down), mag box/spring taped up for proper assembly, mag box has some free play so not putting action in a bind, fasteners torqued. re-checked all that this weekend, all looked good.

I was wrong on the 2nd target having 2 shots close, not sure where I got that - closest two shots are almost 2" apart, overall spread is ~8", all at 100yds.

How recent was your last experiance?
my last experience was actually with a new Marlin 1895 a couple of years ago, I couldnt get the rifle sighted in with a scope as i would run out of elevation, i finally sent the rifle back to Remington (they supplied a call tag) about 2 weeks later a Remington rep got in touch with me and and said the reciever had been miscut and offered me My money back or another brand new rifle....I took the money and bought a Henry H010 because i like the tube feed better..........Hb
Glad your experiance was a good one.
The former owner probably shot it without ever cleaning.
I'm sure you are correct. He said he bought it new and I don't believe the factory ever cleans them after test fire. wink
© 24hourcampfire