Home
Posted By: 79S Ironbender screwed up 😁 - 07/10/16
I bought a nib Ruger Hawkeye in a 300 win mag from ironbender last yr. I'm not a fan of the 300 win mag I find the recoil not very tolerable I rather shoot a 338 win mag. Anyhow finally took it out to shoot it yesterday. Bought a box of federal blue box loaded with 180 gr soft points. Well this thing is a shooter with factory ammo! I usually won't waste much time with 300 win mags as far as reloading. But this one is a keeper now to go buy some more of federal blue box ammo.
A lot of those Hawkeyes seem to shoot pretty well in my experience. I like them mostly.......
Originally Posted by 79S
I bought a nib Ruger Hawkeye in a 300 win mag from ironbender last yr. I'm not a fan of the 300 win mag I find the recoil not very tolerable I rather shoot a 338 win mag. Anyhow finally took it out to shoot it yesterday. Bought a box of federal blue box loaded with 180 gr soft points. Well this thing is a shooter with factory ammo! I usually won't waste much time with 300 win mags as far as reloading. But this one is a keeper now to go buy some more of federal blue box ammo.

Cool beans John. I also prefer the 338, but do have an old stainless boat paddle 300 tucked away. It's been my experience that most 300's drive tacks. I've had a few Ruger mkII's and one tanger that were very good rifles.. When you start loading for yours, remember they like RL 19 and IMR4350 and H4350. Anymore, I load the 200gr. Nosler partition in my 300, save the 165's and 180's for the good ol 06. wink
Glad you got a shooter!

Half my Rugers were purchased used and all of those have been great shooters as well.
© 24hourcampfire