Home
Yeah, you guys that just think you're better'n everyone else 'cause you got some high falutin' Ruger American or some such. Well, I give you the creme de la creme of affordable, sturdy hunting rifles. Can we have a trumpet fanfare, please?

Ta-daaaa!

The Yugoslavian Sporterized M24/47 Mauser rifle direct from the Zastava factory! Hardwood stock with gen-you-wine hand checkering, 5 round magazine and sturdy, all steel CRF action. Yeah, eat your hearts out. wink

[Linked Image]

You can see more pictures in the link below. Pay particular attention to pics 4 and 6, you just don't see that kind of old world craftsmanship anymore and especially not at such an affordable price.

M24/47 Mauser Sporter

I thought Jkob rifles belonged in the Custom Rifle forum?
Love the Schnabel.
Not available in lefty though
I know, bummer! frown
Rate of twist???
That hand checkering is only a little worse than some of the CNC work I've seen coming out of Ilion the past few years.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Snork! laugh

Or the classifieds whistle
I'm a bit of a slut for an old Mauser. I think I'm getting a woody. The only flaw is the straight bolt.

kwg

Originally Posted by ingwe
Rate of twist???

Fast twist 1 in 8, normal twist for 8x57 is 1 in 9.45.

This was specifically designed for ultra-long range shooting of high BC bullets. Check out the range graduations on the open rear sight ladder – they go all the way out to 2000 yards!
Lots of people in the 1950's and 1960's got their start in CF world via sporterized military Mausers. Mine was a Venezuelan 24/30 carbine in 7x57 that came out of the FN factory in Herstal, Belgium. I paid $37.50 for it at Welch's Gun Shop in Lebanon, NH, and, adjusting for inflation, it would sell for around $270 today, the same cost of a Marlin XS7 from CDNN.

That 24/30 action is still in use today, but as a much refined, rebarreled, and restocked 257 Roberts.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Yeah, you guys that just think you're better'n everyone else 'cause you got some high falutin' Ruger American or some such. Well, I give you the creme de la creme of affordable, sturdy hunting rifles. Can we have a trumpet fanfare, please?

Ta-daaaa!

The Yugoslavian Sporterized M24/47 Mauser rifle direct from the Zastava factory! Hardwood stock with gen-you-wine hand checkering, 5 round magazine and sturdy, all steel CRF action. Yeah, eat your hearts out. wink

[Linked Image]

You can see more pictures in the link below. Pay particular attention to pics 4 and 6, you just don't see that kind of old world craftsmanship anymore and especially not at such an affordable price.

M24/47 Mauser Sporter

Laugh all you like about the rifle, I would use it.
All joking aside, I’d be tempted to get one except for that gawdawful checkering and the fact that they bent the bolt handle. Being a lefty I have a Swede 96 and standard issue M24/47 with straight bolt handles and they are not difficult at all to work from the left shoulder. Both have had the issue sights replaced with a Mojo peep and are plenty accurate enough to keep a 12” gong at 200 yards ringing merrily.

That, and the fact that they are overpriced by at about $100. You can buy sporterized Mausers made from various actions on gunbroker in the $200 range, and even bubbafied they are better done than these.
We posted at the same time but you’re right that these are perfectly serviceable rifles. My M24/47 in well used military issue condition works very well and while it has that Mauser clackety-clack action it is miles ahead in smoothness over a commercial Zastava Mauser I bought a few years ago. The basic barreled action is solid and dependable and plenty accurate enough for rough and ready hunting. They obviously modified the military issue stock but they did okay with what they had to work with.

But I just had to take a poke at that checkering... wink
At least it's not drilled & tapped. smile

I've wound up with 2 or 3...err...4 or 5 Mausers & Springfields. They'd be worth a hell of a lot more money if they were as issued, but they were a product of an age where young veterans with families couldn't afford expensive rifles, so they made do with what they could buy surplus, then either sporterized the rifles themselves, or had a gunsmith do them as cheaply as possible.

And yeah, sometimes original sporters got a Bubba treatment as well.

A couple years ago I took a doe with Dad's .25-06, which was built on a Mauser action. It shoots quite well, as long as you mind the funky 1 in 11" twist barrel.

I have Dad's 03-A3, which acquired a Bishop stock sometime after July 1942, when it was made. I may take a deer with it this year. Although the Bushnell scope probably is going bye-bye smirk
I suppose there were few mil.sup. rifles around here is because there was No large game around here until the late '70s. Rabbits, squirrels, and ducks is all there were. Dad swapped his .45 Colt for a shotgun.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

But I just had to take a poke at that checkering... wink

How dare you? That's .5 LPI checkering.
I'm not too crazy for the skip-line checkering either. grin But the rest of the stock work is acceptable.
Use the stock for camp wood. Drop the action into a plastic Ramline. Bingo! a Crapper rifle to leave leaning next to the privy. You and your buddies will never again miss that shooting opportunity. Sitting for hours on the outhouse stand, trying to push out yesterdays camp cooking.
Originally Posted by baltz526
Use the stock for camp wood. Drop the action into a plastic Ramline. Bingo! a Crapper rifle to leave leaning next to the privy. You and your buddies will never again miss that shooting opportunity. Sitting for hours on the outhouse stand, trying to push out yesterdays camp cooking.

Suminabitch that's funny right there. Can't quit laughing. laugh
They may be much nicer and I'd rather have one but they're not likely to be as accurate as an American, 798, or an Axis.

But as long as it's not a WWII manufacture I'd rather have a Mauser.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

[Linked Image]

WOW!!!!! Now that is a custom!!!

Jkobe does some great work and that might be his best yet
Baltz,you mean trying to clear cotton before this mornings camp breakfast geysers out!
The rear sight is marked in meters, not yards. That gives you about 10% more range than you thought you had. I'm looking forward to the half-mile elk kill video.
By god, you're right, I hadn't taken that into account.

I'll download the Photoshop Video package and get back to you on that .805 km elk... wink
Converted one to a 240 Weatherby, and it's a nail driver.
What about us Savage hog hunter people
I'm always amazed at old-world craftsmanship..........
The sporterized version is an alright looking gun. I personally would get the unmodified version and just the action and start from there. I have a M38 Turk in a 6.5x55 that shoots lights out. My kid could use a 6.5 as well.

Can anyone tell me if these models have the same precautions as other military version with newer / higher pressure loads?
They are a large ring intermediate length action and are plenty strong enough for modern loaded 8x57 loads which I believe run to 57,000 psi under European specs. Not in the WSM range but not wimpy either.

The M24/47 itself, at least the ones I looked at and the one I own, are military grade in fit and finish but rock solid with all forged and machined steel. Web info will lead you everywhere but from what I can gather the original M24's were made by FN or on FN machinery imported into Yugoslavia, or not. They were reworked in 1947 hence the M24/47 designation but I'm not sure what all the rework entailed.

As I alluded to above, the exterior finish is military grade but the action itself is much smoother inside than the modern Zastava commercial Mauser I bought a few years ago. It's not FN commercial quality but it ain't too bad. It probably depends on the individual rifle as well, looking on gunbroker you can see some pretty rusted out crap but most of them sold in the original cosmoline that I've looked at were okay.

The magazine box on mine is just shy of 3.2", I'll say 3.1", which precludes .30-06 length rounds but the 57mm or 55mm based rounds are a perfect fit.

Instead of carving on the military stock, bending the handle and giving it that "checkering" (I use the term loosely), I'd rather they remove the stock completely and offer the basic barreled action for $199 or a lot less and let folks go from there.
How does it shoot. Thats how I judge tools.

They might look great, but if they don't shoot... they might look ugly to some but if they shoot....
Thank you Jim
© 24hourcampfire