Home
Posted By: Dre Accurate 7.62x39 ammo for cz 527? - 07/30/16
So I bit the bullet and finally got a cz 527 carbine bolt action in the 762.
I plan on shooting Mostly bulk ammo for fun and trigger time for the kids .
But I still want it to shoot accurately as I can use it for hunting as well. Looking at SP and JHP bullets.
Which ammo? Experience Preferably from this bolt action. Yes I know each rifle is different.
Btw. These things are a sweet little rifle. Wish I would have gotten it sooner.

Also WTB a extra mag and rings.
Lots of people have good luck with the Hornady SST in 7.62x39.

There's a lot of activity around 527s in the centerfire section of RFC.

Nosler did a prototype run of 123gr .311 bullets, which they sold in their pro shop as blems. They shot well in my Ruger #1, so I scarfed up 500 of them.

So far I am not crazy about the dies out there. Which Forster or Redding would make a comp style seating die for it.
My CZ shoots 3/4" @ 100 with Lapua SP factory ammo, which sadly doesn't seem to be imported anymore. Blue box Federal comes in around 1" so I'm perfectly satisfied with it as well.
Hornady is good stuff, but honestly within the 7.62x39's effective hunting range, most of the Russian stuff works fine. Offhand at 100yrds it's boringly simple to hit clay pigeons with the irons on my 527.
MY 527 shoots well wth several loads,Brown Bear, WPA, Win Rem AND hornady, all 123 gr hp loads.

I even load the old SPEER 110 gr plinker over a little blue dot or sr 4759 for a nice quiet short range varmint load.
Federal and Remington both shoot very well in my 7.62x39 bolt gun. Winchester not so much. I've got a bunch of Hornady SST to try soon as well.
Shot a doe last year with the SST, launched out of a #1 Ruger. Quartering toward me 80 yards away, the bullet hit in front of the shoulder and exited the brisket. She went about 40-50 yards.

Killed the deer fine but did not penetrate straight. Not really impressive.
centerfire section of RFC.
Where is this?
Originally Posted by Dre
centerfire section of RFC.
Where is this?

Hope this is OK...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Anyone try the fussions for hunting?
Never seen any 7.62x39 Fusions, but if I do, I'd not hesitate to use them based upon I've seen other Fusions do.
Hornady SSTs are good but PPU soft points are cheaper and use boxer primed brass.
I just saw the PPU. might try those.
What about silver bears Pointed soft points ?
PPU may be accurate. The silver bear stuff is unlikely to be as accurate as the American made ammunition, and quite a bit dirtier as well.
I haven't shot a round out of this gun yet.
I have maybe 500 rounds left of silver bear SP from when I had an SKS.
I wa hoping his gun would like them and I can maybe use it as one round does it all.
I dont mind trying different ammo to see what she likes or buying premium ammo for hunting only.

Anyone have a first hand experience with this gun and various ammo?
Every rifle is different. My Interarms mini-Mauser (very similar) groups Remington and Federal SPs into the same POI; aggregate groups of three each go sub-1.5" at 100, and individual groups of three go sub-.75". That's Core-Lokts and Fed blue box, not premiums. They kill deer very, very well.

It doesn't like Winchester, Silver Bear, or Wolf at all. PPU and S&B shoot decently (1.5" three shot groups at 100). It does not like the Herters 154s at all, either. I still want to try the SSTs, just because.

Shoot the Silver Bear and see, but don't be surprised by mediocre accuracy.
Thanks
Thats the kind of reply I was Looking for
I'd second fusions.
Mine likes S&B 123g SP's.
I have several deer to the 123 gr SSTs, my CZ is extremely accurate.

I would like to try the barnes TSX 123 gr, but at the price of around $85.00 for 50 over here thats not going to happen.
You guys can get them for just over $30.00 at Midsouth

Johno
My little CZ carbine shoots S&B ammunition accurately. However, my hand loaded Hornady SSTs loads through this little guy almost always produces groups under 1". CP.
My rifle is a lot differt than yours due to it is no longer 7.62x39 as it has been re-barreled to a 24 in length .264 bore Lothar Walther chambered essentially to 6.5 Grendel. This barrel does very well with 123 grain SST over Benchmark.
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
My rifle is a lot differt than yours due to it is no longer 7.62x39 as it has been re-barreled to a 24 in length .264 bore Lothar Walther chambered essentially to 6.5 Grendel. This barrel does very well with 123 grain SST over Benchmark.

Not sure how this helps me but good for you!
Finally got the scope on.
Thanks to couple guys on here for rings and heads up on scope sale.
Now to get some trigger time.
[Linked Image]
If you find the scope sits to high mate get a set of James Calhoon hunker mounts, they are fantastic and all my CZs wear them, lowest you can get I believe.

Have fun

Johno
The factory rings that come with the Tikka T3 will fit the CZ 527. I have a Weaver 1-3x variable mounted on mine in Tikka T3 rings.
Mackay, I wish I would have know that. I have 2 sets of tikka rings laying around.
oh well.
I took her out really quick today and shot a box of 20 rounds.
here is my last 8 shots, two groups of 4 rounds. 100 yards from bench. made slight adjustment the last 4 shots and almost all went into bulls eye.
not bad for surplus ammo.[Linked Image]
Looks like you have a winner!!

I traded rifles with Mackay... When I owned it the gun would run MOA with most any "good" quality load... Never reloaded for it because I have a ton of FMJ practice loads and enough soft points to last many seasons...

Bob
© 24hourcampfire