Home
While waiting for my pup to get spayed, I spotted a nice older 600 in 600 Rem. I thought briefly of buying it, then when I wanted to check the bore, no bolt release.. It was a nice custom stocked rifle.. Now I am thinking I should make an attempt at buying it.. All I remember is one had to slip a knife blade under the bolt to get it to extract.. Or did I dream that??? It didn't have the usual release on other Rem. rifles.
....duh, and I own one wink
Left side of bolt, a small flat tip screwdriver works.
WyoCoyoteHunter - on the left-side INNER wall hides the smallish release lever. Using a small flat head screwdriver to depress it and the bolt slides right out. Who knows why they want to hide it. Homesteader
Thanks guys.. I appreciate it.. Sharp little rifle.. If is there when we come home from camping and the bore is good, it is mine.. Thanks again..
Left side as stated, cut the end off a Q-Tip and stick in and depress, Q-Tip won't scratch like a screwdriver.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That'll do er...
Never ben "scared" of scratching anything, and I've had a few...
I have one. And it's a strange system for releasing a bolt.
Where did you say you saw it??:-)
What cartridge?
WyoCoyoteHunter - one of the things I didn't like about the 600 was it felt like a 2X4 in your palm. When I re-finished the stock I lightly rounded off the sharp edges (on stocks bottom) from the front of trigger guard to sling swivel point. Much better. Homesteader
Those had press checkering IIR. I'd slim it 'til that chit was gone! And one of these decades, I'll do just that on a couple other pieces I own that have it - I just don't have a roundtoit....
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Right. It's between the stock and the receiver.
No, left.......grin
las - that's exactly what I did. Rounded off the edges, removed the impressed checkering, fit a Packmyer recoil and replaced the plastic (opps - 'polymer')trigger guard. The little .308W also got a Birchwood Casey rubbed oil finish. Someday I'll replace the 18" barrel with either 20/22" barrel eliminating the fireball effect upon firing. Homesteader
Shortly after those things hit the market, I bought one in 6mm. Talk about LOUD! But it was 3 holes touching accurate with Rem. factory 100 grains. The noise finally got it shipped. Ugly, I could tolerate.

Best,

Jack
I put a metal bottom plate on one. Wish I hadn't. one less cartridge in the magazine now. If you don't like the magazine release you could replace it with a screw into the left side of the receiver. Others I've known have done that, I have not.
Bugger - I've never seen a 600 with anything but either the factory plastic trigger guard or after-market aluminum guard. I must get around more...Homesteader
I have one in 308W that I'm looking to let go. It's just been sitting in the safe for a while now.
© 24hourcampfire