Home
Hi there

Could anyone share informations about the current production Winchester 70 extreme weather SS ? Accuracy, quality, reliability ?

Are there any differences in action lengths (.308 & .243 Vs 30-06 Vs WSMs) ?

Thanks in advance

GV

I have one in 264 Win. Mag. The accuracy is more than acceptable, I will use it for cow elk in November. Quality is very good and it was made in South Carolina. It has 80 rounds down the barrel so far and I see no reliability issues and this year will be the first time I have taken it hunting. I will take a back up rifle the same as I always do. And yes there are different actions lengths.
I bought this 308 used in 2009 or 2010. I used it for the 1st year in the factory stock and liked it OK. I didn't hate the factory stock, I just didn't love it either. Someone here posted the Edge stock in the classifieds at a good price and I bought it.

After selling the factory stock I have around $300 in the Edge. Weight as shown is 7 1/4 lbs and I really love the rifle now. It has been my go-to rifle ever since. Light enough to carry well and just enough weight to shoot easily. It'll consistently put 3 rounds into an inch or less with almost any loads I've tried.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
Hi there

Could anyone share informations about the current production Winchester 70 extreme weather SS ? Accuracy, quality, reliability ?

Are there any differences in action lengths (.308 & .243 Vs 30-06 Vs WSMs) ?

Thanks in advance

GV

Yes, SA including WSM and LA

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7632682/2
I've had a .308 and a .30-06 for about a year. I believe overall quality and reliability are excellent for a production gun - no complaints. Receiver length on .308 is about 1/2" shorter than the .30-06.

I've run into this with a few other rifles, but neither of these guns will shoot Partitions with a consistent degree of accuracy. Of course, other Extreme Weathers may shoot them fine.
I had a 270 and a 300 WSM. They both shot well and functioned nicely.
I have one in .270 Win and love it after I changed the stock out. The B&C stock was way too fat in the grip and forearm for my tastes. Here it is compared to my M70 Classic FWT .30-06 in McMillan Hunters Edge stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got a good deal on a stock from TDN in the classifieds. A McMillan FWT stock with Edge fill. It made the rifle much more pleasant to carry and improved handling for me.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It shoots very well at 300 yards with Fed Blue Box ammo, so much so I'm tempted to not reload for it.

[Linked Image]
Thanks, guys, for the inputs.
As everyone else has said, I love mine in 300WSM. First load I was done. Great rifles!
I have one in a 325 Wsm first animal I shot with it ranged at 399yds using 200gr speers
[Linked Image]
My brother likes his in 7 mag...520 yards through the heart..

[Linked Image]
I bought one of the brand new ones with the slimmed down stock in June. I really like the feel of the new stock vs the old one, but I haven't been able to find a load that the rifle likes... Might be due to the ring tool marks in the bore 0.5" from the muzzle, or perhaps the big bubble in the bedding under the tang. Either way it's going back so Winchester can have a crack at it. I've had 4 other FN Winchesters and like them, so if it doesn't come back shooting like the others, it's going to go to Pacnor for a 6.5 Creed barrel.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but all the current short action M70's are built on WSM receivers, something to keep in mind if you buy a one piece scope mount like a DNZ.
Mine EW 270 Win is the most accurate rifle I own which includes custom builds with Pacnor, Shilen and Bartlein barrels. It has honestly shoot 3 shot .25 groups with Berger bullets over H4831.

I dumped the B&C stock in favor of a McMillan Hunter.
It would be a very pleasant mountain rifle in .270. I love that caliber since I started to load and shoot it. Unfortunately the extreme weather SS is not avalaible in .270 here in Europe.
I have one in 7mm-08 that is wrapped in a green McM Edge. I wouldn't trade that rifle for a damn thing. IMO it is the best factory rifle in that price range by a long shot. Mine is a tack driver with a great trigger
I like mine plenty. It is a solid 3/4 inch gun with my handloads. I've only tried a couple of factory loads and they were in the 1.5 inch range. Mine is in .300 WSM. The weight below is without bullets, weighs 8lbs even loaded. Thats about as light as I'd want it in that cartridge. I need to add one in .308 to go along with it.

Weight without bullets.
[Linked Image]

a victim
[Linked Image]

another one
[Linked Image]

another
[Linked Image]

one of my loads, the load I'm hunting with uses 180 Ballistic Tips or Accubonds and shoots like the one below.
[Linked Image]

Bob.
i have a sc built ew in 308 win. great feel, function and accuracy. the only factory load i have tried is 165gr fusions, which works well for local deer. gonna try some nosler brass, rl15, and 165gr accubonds for elk this november.
I bought a 308 right after they came out. I gave it to one of my boys for a graduation gift. I left the orginal stock on it very accurate with 150 been asked if were intersted in selling no its a great gun.
I'd love to buy one in .308. Can't seem to find any place that carries them. I've been looking for about 2 years.
Your two year search is at an end!

Winny EW .308

No credit card fee's and $6 shipping, you ought to be able to take it home for $1,030 ish all told.
© 24hourcampfire