Home
Lady called me up, wanted to know if I could identify a rifle her husband had received from a grandfather.. I think it's a # 1 1/2 Rolling Block - but I can't be sure..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And does the "32" denote the cartridge? Only way I'd know for sure is if she'd leave it for a chamber cast but she was loathe to do it.. Can't blame her. IF it's the rifle I think it is, and in the condition it's in, I think it's worth close to $2K..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Lee,

I am anything but an expert on vintage Remington rolling blocks, but my great grandfather had one and I was always told it was a model 4. His was in 32 rimfire IIRC.

I couldnt find any google images of a Remington 1 1/2 having a toggle on the right side, but lots of model 4's that do. I believe the toggle is the takedown lever

Interesting piece of history none the less
I have one of these also chambered in 32 RF....I always assumed it was a #4. mine doesn't have the lever on he side..is it a take down....
Remington Model 6? powdr
i have a very similar rifle but nowhere near in that condition. i can't be fore sure but i thought mine was a 25 rimfire.
I think Mallard hit it on the head...

Link
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Lee,

I am anything but an expert on vintage Remington rolling blocks, but my great grandfather had one and I was always told it was a model 4. His was in 32 rimfire IIRC.

I couldnt find any google images of a Remington 1 1/2 having a toggle on the right side, but lots of model 4's that do. I believe the toggle is the takedown lever

Interesting piece of history none the less
I think you're right - seems to be the #4..

.32 rimfire?? I never heard of that one.. But I wasn't around in the mid-1800s.. laugh laugh

Thanks all..
If you had to shoot it, you could rechamber to 32-20. You'd have to redirect the firing pin, maybe replace it too, I can't remember. There's a video on how to do this which I've seen in-line created by Midwayusa.

I've handled some 32 rim fire, but that round has not been commercially available for some time. It would be very expensive to shoot as is.

I'm betting on Model 4 too...
I have 2 of them. Cannot remember model numbers. One is a 45-70, the other a .22 RF...
We have one almost identical. As I recall it's called the Crackshot. Ours is in .22. It's at my brothers in Utah right now. My grandfather had it when he was young. He was born in 1877 so I'm guessing it was made sometime after 1880.

kwg
Didn't Stevens make the Crackshot??
It is a Remington #4 .32 RF, in really nice shape .........
Dang, best looking Remington 32RF I have seen sir. Most are well used and hanging on mantles somewhere.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Didn't Stevens make the Crackshot??

I believe you are correct. I stand corrected. We have one in .22. I do have a Remington 5 shot revolver in .32 rimfire. It says "Terror" on the top of the barrel.

kwg
Originally Posted by Bugger

I've handled some 32 rim fire, but that round has not been commercially available for some time. It would be very expensive to shoot as is.

We've got a Stevens in 32 RF. I think there is 4 rounds left in the box of CIL ammo that we bought sometime in the 70's. Old Western Scrounger or Val Forgett or somebody had a run of ammo made sometime after that. I still see it at gunshows occasionally but it's usually shrink wrapped and about $50 for 50 rounds.

Could a 32 be sleeved down to 22 RF? I'd love to tote that Stevens in the squirrel woods.

Dale

Nice! What a cool old rifle.

Originally Posted by Jericho
Dang, best looking Remington 32RF I have seen sir. .
Even though I'd never seen one before, I thought the same thing; that it's in very, very good condition considering the apparent age..

I appreciate all the help on this one. I'll call the lady this morning and give her this info..

Best wishes to all here..
Mine has been disassembled for years....it has a pretty good bore so my plan was 32 HR or 32 SW.....been too busy but this got me thinking again..
© 24hourcampfire