Home
Posted By: longshot3 300 RUM owners.. - 09/19/16
I have the chance to get a stainless, rem 700, 300 RUM, Gray laminated stock. Shot very little, for a good price. Looks like new.

I have never owned one. I primarily hunt whitetails on big agricultural fields. Wondering if it would be worth getting for longer shots. Right now, hunting with a 280 Rem, and no complaints.

How do you guys like yours?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/19/16
If you want the rifle,buy it. wink

Posted By: bigwhoop Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/19/16
You asked and I say no. Absolutely not needed for your hunting needs as stated.
Maybe upgrade your scope on the .280 Rem. and go fill the freezer.
But its not about need - don't ask me how I know.
Posted By: borden811 Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/19/16
You won't gain as much in range as you will in recoil and money out of your wallet.
Posted By: Boogaloo Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/19/16
The 280 is already ideal to extended range with a good high BC bullet choice. Let bullet BC do the work and there is plenty of energy there.

The RUM is popular for really long range but the recoil is over limit for most guys without a brake. The guys I know that use one as a long range hammer are so equipped with longer barrels and in heavier rigs. The brake does a good job to tame the recoil.

For whitetails the consensus around here is for the 6mm.

Having said all that, I like the RUM and if it were a good deal I would be tempted.

One can often find like new RUMs for sale with half a box of factory loads included. They do kick a mite more than most folks can handle.

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/19/16
What's "shot very little"? A few hundred rounds ripped off without letting it cool down now and again could have left that barrel pretty rough. Take a good peek inside before you jump. At least, buying used, you won't take as big a hit if you decide it ain't all it's cracked up to be.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/19/16
Thanks. That's kinda what I was thinking. My 280 has a #4 stainless Shilen, with a 1-8 twist. Shoots 160 gr Accubonds into nice little groups.

I figured the recoil was probably teeth rattling! I'll stick with the 280 and 308's. Also have a freshly built 35 Whelen that's range ready!

That 300 is a cool looking rifle, but I think I'll pass. I just had too much time to think about it!
Originally Posted by Pappy348
What's "shot very little"? A few hundred rounds ripped off without letting it cool down now and again could have left that barrel pretty rough. Take a good peek inside before you jump. At least, buying used, you won't take as big a hit if you decide it ain't all it's cracked up to be.

The bore looked great. We looked into it with a Hawkeye. I know the guy who owns it. I think he just bought it on a whim, shot a box through it, and put it up.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/19/16
I've never figured out why guys pick 300 magnums for deer hunting, but to each their own I guess.

If I didn't have elk (and griz) running around with my mule deer, I wouldn't own one. 28 cal is about as big of a deer bullet as I find necessary, and I'd probably shoot a lot of them with .243 and .264 bullets.
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I've never figured out why guys pick 300 magnums for deer hunting, but to each their own I guess.

If I didn't have elk (and griz) running around with my mule deer, I wouldn't own one. 28 cal is about as big of a deer bullet as I find necessary, and I'd probably shoot a lot of them with .243 and .264 bullets.

I ran a 300 WSM for about five years. Shot the 150gr NBT. Worked great for deer! Killed a bunch with 243, 25-06, 7-08, 30-06. It's all fun with a good, accurate rifle.
Posted By: trb696 Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/19/16
What price was being asked, if its ok to ask. I am interested if price is right and inside my budget. I may be able to drive to pickup also!
Originally Posted by trb696
What price was being asked, if its ok to ask. I am interested if price is right and inside my budget. I may be able to drive to pickup also!

I'll ask for a price. We were working out a labor trade + cash.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/20/16
That laminate has a short grip. Place some tape on the top of your right hand's knuckles to prevent the possible interaction with the bolt knob. It might rip some skin when shot from the bench....I know been there and it was a 7 RUM!

Get the rifle and load it on the low end to start. Find your comfort zone. I highly recommend using the 215 Berger target hybrid bullet with H-1000. The high end accuracy load will be around 88 gr of powder.

If anyone doubts the kind of results you can get with the 215 target bullet read this fully documented thread with details on the performance on 22 big game animals. (antelope, deer and elk)

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/index12.html

As for some guys using a 300 RUM for deer it is used my four of my friends and myself in Az. With a 215 or 230 Berger we are set for any LR hunt situation for deer or antelope as well as bears and elk. Minimal wind drift and plenty of energy work well on even the small coues wt at the longer distances we shoot.
Posted By: Model70Guy Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/22/16
If you like recoil there's not much wrong with it as far as hunting goes. I liked mine, but not enough to pick the same cartridge when the barrel died after 600 rounds.

Don't plan on leaving one to your grandkids.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/22/16
Originally Posted by longshot3
I have the chance to get a stainless, rem 700, 300 RUM, Gray laminated stock. Shot very little, for a good price. Looks like new.

I have never owned one. I primarily hunt whitetails on big agricultural fields. Wondering if it would be worth getting for longer shots. Right now, hunting with a 280 Rem, and no complaints.

If you want to buy factory ammo, i hear brass is next to unobtainum.
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/22/16
Originally Posted by longshot3

I have the same rifle, Rem 700 LSS in 300 RUM. I have a Leupold 4.5 x 14 on it. I like this rifle and I have used it for mule deer and elk with great results.

They do kick, and if you aren't planning on using a heavy bullet for longer ranges I would probably pass.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/22/16
I load for the 300 rum , they pretty bad on recoil without a brake and very loud with the brake. Screw a supressor on one and you can shoot super sonic ammo with recoil of a 308 and not wear earplugs while doing it.
Posted By: Cutlass1971 Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/26/16
For deer a 300 RUM is overkill, but if that's what you want then get it. I have a 300 RUM in a M70 supergrade which weighs a little over 10.5 pounds and the recoil is stiff. I run 95 grains of RL25 and 200 grain NP at 3160fps. Compared to a 300 Win Mag with 76 grains of RL21 and 200 NP at 2950 there really is not much difference at any ethical range on game. The only difference is felt recoil and burned powder. Also after 3 shots down the tube of a 300 RUM the barrel is scorching hot and needs cooled if you enjoy good barrel life. My family has had a few 300 RUMs and they seems to be inherently accurate, (if you believe these things) as all are capable of less the .5 inch groups at a 100yds, if your shoulder can handle it. It's a fun round but I would compare it to owning a drag car, its fast, obnoxious and not real practical.
Posted By: BWalker Re: 300 RUM owners.. - 09/27/16
The 300 Rum is one of my favorite rounds and I have owned at least one since they came on the market. Of the 8 or so I have had all were very accurate.
You can expect around 1000 rounds give or take before accuracy starts to fall off. A good stainless cut rifled barrel will get you a bit more.
If you hand load you can load them to approximate the 30-30 using Trail Boss powder or with a 180gr bullet and Retumbo hit over 3300 fps.
© 24hourcampfire