Home
Anybody have a Ruger 44 mag bolt gun? I saw one in the LGS, it sure looked and felt handy. Just curious if they will stabilize and feed 300 grain bullets? I know you don't really need 300 grainers, the lighter will do for most things, just wondering.
Posted By: pullit Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 09/27/16
Don't have one but have shot one a few times. They were fun and I want one but a little too much $$$$ for something I don't need.
They have a standard 1:20 twist so should stabilize 300 grain bullets okay but the magazine length might be a no-go, you'd have to measure it to be sure.

If you want one may as well get it, Ruger is "temporarily" discontinuing production of their 77 series rifles - 77/17, 77/22, 77/357 and 77/44.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 09/27/16
Factory trigger is great if you want a 7 pound shotgun trigger on a 5 pound gun. But, throw in a Volquartsen sear and spring (10 minute job) and it makes a whole new gun out of it. There are also other things that can be done for accuracy, such as shim kits for the 2 piece bolt, etc. But, really it's a 100-150 yard gun max, so MOA accuracy isn't really a huge requirement. And, not likely you will ever see MOA out of one anyway. 2" at 100 yards is doing good, and for deer it is fine.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 09/27/16
KenMi has pretty much detailed what the mods to the 77/44 are. I installed the Volquartsen sear, shimmed the bolt, and made sure the barrel was free-floating on mine.

Using Beartooth Bullets' 300 grain WFN and Lil 'gun, I'm getting 1597 fps with a standard deviation of 11 fps, which is about prime speed for an LBT bullet. Mag length does restrict it to 1.6" OAL.

With the mods done to the rifle, as KenMI points out, it is a solid 2 MOA rifle with very nicely shaped groups. Before the mods, it was twice that size with irregularly shaped groups.

I have mine scoped with a Leupold VX-2 1-4X20. I did have an FX-II 2.5X20 Ultralight on it, but went with the 1-4 for field of view purposes.

Here it is with the FX-II

[Linked Image]
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 09/27/16
I hear these may be discontinued. Maybe Ruger will make the semi auto carbine version instead. I thought several times about getting one of these 77/44 rifles. The $700 cost and reports of bad accuracy kept me away. I would have bought one anyway at $450 but at $700 I would rather add a couple hundred for a used Montana.
Posted By: Ghostman Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 09/27/16
There are a LOT of better rifles I'd rather spend $700 on.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 09/27/16
That's the rub. Rifles that are just as handy, but with more utility can be had in the same price range, more or less, and may require less tinkering. I had a blued/walnut specimen years ago, even killed a deer with it, but traded it on something else. Still get the itch on occasion, but so far have stifled it. If they ever make a SS RSI to go with my .22 version, I'm a goner.
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 09/27/16
Got mine for $620 new. Some may still think that a little high for what it is but that's true of a lot of guns (and other things!).

I out a NECG peep and sourdough on mine and the best group I got was 1.9" at 100 with 300 gr WFN at about 1500.

I did the same mods mentioned above and I think they do make a difference (especially the VQ sear and spring--YUGE difference!). Btw, that's only like a ~$40 mod.

I can say this....it is still one of, if not THE, most 'fun' gun I own to shoot. An absolute blast and it is a joy to hump around the steep stuff on hunts. It's almost like carrying a .22 around.

If you accept its limitations and don't expect it to be that which it is not, I think you would love it. Again, to repeat what was said, they are discontinuing them (at least temporarily) so if you're interested better jump while you can.

[Linked Image]
Thanks for the info, may have to try to make a trade.

Regards
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 09/29/16
Nice paint job.

Other than an RSI, the other idea that plagues me is getting a SS model in .44 or .357 and then getting the factory walnut stock for it. The nice lady at Ruger parts said that they may be available now and again, but not to count on it. Less chance now, I'd think.

A lot of my .44 rifle fervor has been quenched by the Low Wall I picked up last Spring. It's really a beauty and a good shooter. For now, I'm using the tang sight, but if my eyes get too bad for that, I'm not above having it d&t'd for a scope. It is, after all, a Japanese reproduction.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 09/29/16
Pappy, the reason I went with the Ruger is that it has a 1/20 twist, whereas the Marlin lever has a 1/38, and I felt the Marlin either wouldn't or if so, marginally stabilize the bullet I wanted to use, a 300 grain LBT-style hardcast.

I find the Marlin levers much more aesthetic than the Ruger bolt rifle, but if it won't stabilize my favorite bullet, Oh well.

I bet that Low Wall is classy! Especially with a tang sight.
Posted By: 28lx Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 09/29/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nice paint job.

Other than an RSI, the other idea that plagues me is getting a SS model in .44 or .357 and then getting the factory walnut stock for it. The nice lady at Ruger parts said that they may be available now and again, but not to count on it. Less chance now, I'd think.

A lot of my .44 rifle fervor has been quenched by the Low Wall I picked up last Spring. It's really a beauty and a good shooter. For now, I'm using the tang sight, but if my eyes get too bad for that, I'm not above having it d&t'd for a scope. It is, after all, a Japanese reproduction.

Thats what I did bought a stainless model and purchased a walnut stock from Midway. I've installed a Rifle Basix trigger on mine and put the bolt shims in it topped with a 3-9 Luepold. It likes Federal American Eagle 240 grain JSP or JHP ammo consistent 11/2 rifle at 100 yards. They are a very handy tree stand rifle.
For the life of me I can't figure out why they are so inaccurate and why they cost so much.
My Low Wall is 1-20 as well. 24" half-octagon.
Mine would do 1 1/12 - 2" with a 2.5 Weaver, plenty for its purpose.

Like the .22 versions, the price is reflective of the quality of construction and low production numbers compared to more popular models. They're not cheap, but not out of reason either. I paid a lot for my RSI, but ones on GB are already up a couple of hundred over what I paid.
Originally Posted by 28lx
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nice paint job.

Thats what I did bought a stainless model and purchased a walnut stock from Midway. I've installed a Rifle Basix trigger on mine and put the bolt shims in it topped with a 3-9 Luepold. It likes Federal American Eagle 240 grain JSP or JHP ammo consistent 11/2 rifle at 100 yards. They are a very handy tree stand rifle.

Great minds think alike!
I just found an unfired one blue/walnut at a LGS on consignment, $550 asking price, extra mag and had been on the shelf 3 months
I offered 475 and now own it. I have yet to shoot it
Posted By: Jericho Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 09/30/16
I would imagine the Ruger 77/44 is very popular in Indiana.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 10/01/16
Nice snag. Spend a few more bucks on a lighter trigger spring or a Timney kit.
Posted By: jbuck Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 10/01/16
I have one as well. It hangs out by the back door mostly for coyotes and such.

Btw, send it to srt and you'll have a spectacular rifle. I opted for the fast twist barrel option (1:14 iirc). And the volquartsen is a must.
Posted By: killahog Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 10/09/16
I just bought one from the classifieds haven't received it yet. Can someone share a little more info about the bot shim modification . Thanks
Posted By: KenMi Re: Bolt action Ruger 44 mag - 10/09/16
Here is a link with the parts and a video:

http://www.triggershims.com/ruger_m77.html
[b][color:#3333FF]GrabaGun[/color][/b] still has these in stock. Picked up one last week as I've wanted one since they first came out.

Dainty, cute little rifle. Was originally thinking I'd send it off to get it integrally suppressed, but I'm having second thoughts. It feels, points and balances so nicely..
This Hoosier deer hunter definately likes his Ruger 77/44, mine is an earlier walnut/blued model with a decent trigger. My BIL has a blued/synthetic stocked one that has accounted for 15+ whitetails over the past several years. He shoots 240gr Winchester white box ammo in his, I handload 240gr. XTP/296. My rifle wears a Leupold Compact 4x though I am considering swapping for a 2-7X.
© 24hourcampfire