Home
Posted By: las 6.5 creedmore popularity? - 10/18/16
What advantage does it have over the .260? What disadvantage?

I do know that during the ammo shortage there was creedmore on the shelves when I couldn't find 260 ammo
COAL.
http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1677748-bullet-point-ep-19-260rem-vs-65cm

This might answer your question(s).
Posted By: fats Re: 6.5 creedmore popularity? - 10/19/16
Readily available factory match ammunition.
Just picked up a Ruger Precision Rifle this morning chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Mounted a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10, and the first five shots(out of the box)went into a .75 group at 100! Time to get some ammo. This might very well become my favorite!😀
1 advantage that I know of, great factory ammo from Federal, Hornady, and Winchester/Olin.

1 advantage that I have heard of and believe to be true, the slightly shorter 6.5 Creedmoor (48.77mm) case allows for long(er) VLD bullets to fit into 2.8" short action magazines better than when the same bullets are loaded into the slightly longer 260 (51.69mm) case.

I was at the range yesterday and my RAR-Predator was going sub-MOA with the 129 grain Hornady American Whitetail factory ammo.
Readily available factory ammo.
It's a very well engineered, well thought out round, designed from the ground up to handle long, high ogive bullets in a SA mag without issues. That it does very well.

And, as mentioned, factory ammo is super quality, maybe the most accurate out of the box ammo anywhere.

I'm reloading for my new 700/Shilen, but find that the factory ammo is about as accurate as my current best loads. So, while I work on loads, I may shoot Hornady 140 gr. AMax's at WT's early this season. They shoot sub inch consistently out of a light, #2 barrel.

What's not to like.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5 creedmore popularity? - 10/19/16
I like mine, I have several 264 win mags and a 26 Nosler. The Creedmoor kills just as well out to 300 yards.
See the snipershide link - Frank knows what he is talking about.
Posted By: cotis Re: 6.5 creedmore popularity? - 10/19/16
Amazing the popularity of the 6.5 creed, ironic since it is based off the bastard .30TC cartridge!

At the GAP Grind two weeks ago I estimate that 75% of the field was running the 6.5. Looking for 308 brass after each stage was easy as it looked huge compared to all the 6.5 on the ground.
Originally Posted by hanco
I like mine, I have several 264 win mags and a 26 Nosler. The Creedmoor kills just as well out to 300 yards.

+1

I have a 6.5-284 and a 26 Nosler.

I agree.

DF
Posted By: jeeper Re: 6.5 creedmore popularity? - 10/19/16
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
It's a very well engineered, well thought out round, designed from the ground up to handle long, high ogive bullets in a SA mag without issues. That it does very well.

And, as mentioned, factory ammo is super quality, maybe the most accurate out of the box ammo anywhere.

I'm reloading for my new 700/Shilen, but find that the factory ammo is about as accurate as my current best loads. So, while I work on loads, I may shoot Hornady 140 gr. AMax's at WT's early this season. They shoot sub inch consistently out of a light, #2 barrel.

What's not to like.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
What Mickey do you have on that rifle ?
I'm not Dirtfarmer, but it looks like a Mountain Rifle pattern to me.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'm not Dirtfarmer, but it looks like a Mountain Rifle pattern to me.

Yep, you nailed it.

Got it used on the Fire Classifieds. Std fill McWoody.

I like the slim grip and forearm.

DF
Posted By: Mathsr Re: 6.5 creedmore popularity? - 10/19/16
I have had both the 260 Remington and the 6.5 Creedmore. I still have a couple of 260 Remingtons. I liked the 6.5 Creedmore just fine. There just wasn't enough difference between it and the 260 Rem to make it worth keeping, and it didn't shoot as well as either of my 260 Remingtons, so I traded it off. In a different rifle, I might have kept the 6.5 Creedmore.

Since I traded it though, 260 Remington has become almost impossible to find locally and the 6.5 Creedmore is all over the place. mad
Posted By: las Re: 6.5 creedmore popularity? - 10/22/16
Thanks guys. I'll stick with my .260. Shoots like crazy - but only with 140 gr bullets. Can't complain! The price was right. You guys can keep your expensive beauty queens.... smile

Years ago I was given a Rem 725SA in .244 that had been found in a wrecked sled out of Anuktuvik Pass by a friend. Very rough shape. Barrel not salvageable, so I bought a 700 TI stainless take-off in .260 for 110 bucks off Campfire. Glass beaded and re-blued the rust pitted receiver, glass bedded and refinished the really ugly- wood stock with Stylon(a tough gym floor finish) dregs, screwed the .260 barrel on which fit perfectly once I lapped the bolt a bit. Ok - it might be exactly upside down referenced to the stamping... I can't read anything that small anymore anyway.

It ain't purdy, but it shoots 3 into 2.5 inch groups at 300 yards. Nothin shot with it has cared. about its looks or pedigree so far as I can tell.

Gotta go. Rats is on.
Posted By: las Re: 6.5 creedmore popularity? - 10/22/16
The wife just bailed out of the room. smile
© 24hourcampfire