Home
Posted By: TomM1 Weatherby Vangaurd Wilderness - 10/22/16
Looking to hear from folks who have handled or own the Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness Rifle. Ive always heard good things about the vanguard series, but always shy'd away due to the heftiness. Looks like this one comes in around 6.75lbs, so 7.75lbs with scope, which is about right for me. Just not sure how they balance with the 24" barrel and lightweight stock.
Originally Posted by TomM1
Just not sure how they balance with the 24" barrel and lightweight stock.

I was shopping for a lighter rifle this summer and went to the LGS thinking it was for sure the one I would pick but the shape of the stock combined with the 24" barrel was really awkward to me. I am not a big guy so your fit may be different but it was bad enough to disqualify it for me.

FWIW the Vanguard that fits me best is the RC series which is a full pound heavier but feels much more ergonomically consistent.
Looking to hear from folks who have handled or own the Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness Rifle. Ive always heard good things about the vanguard series, but always shy'd away due to the heftiness. Looks like this one comes in around 6.75lbs, so 7.75lbs with scope, which is about right for me. Just not sure how they balance with the 24" barrel and lightweight stock.

I picked one up the other day at a LGS and it felt great
Guess, I'll just have to give one a look over. Im a bit tall and lanky, dont mind 24" barrels, but balance is a biggy for me.
What's the difference between the Wilderness and the Back Country? I have an original iteration Back Country in .30-06 and it's a great rifle.

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
What's the difference between the Wilderness and the Back Country?
P

Cerakoted chrome moly.
Originally Posted by livefastjohnny
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
What's the difference between the Wilderness and the Back Country?
P

Cerakoted chrome moly.

Wilderness is $400 cheaper and I think the Cerakoted chrome moly looks better. Have been thinking I need smile one in 240 wby mag.
The original version is stainless. I wish I could find another. I put a Timney trigger in mine, its scary accurate.

P
I know they shoot lights out and are built incredibly but the feeling of the safety always scares me off a Vanguard. Would gladly pay $40 to upgrade that.
I know they shoot lights out and are built incredibly but the feeling of the safety always scares me off a Vanguard. Would gladly pay $40 to upgrade that.

Timney will run around 100 bucks , I hate the tinny safety as well but the 2 stage trigger is very very good

Being vangaurd ignorant I gotta ask, whats wrong with the safety? Didnt they recently change from a 2 pos to 3 pos safety?

Being vangaurd ignorant I gotta ask, whats wrong with the safety? Didnt they recently change from a 2 pos to 3 pos safety?

3 pos trigger, the safety button is a grooved thin stamping
That annoys me too, but I ain't giving up the two-stage to correct it. Might glue on a little rubber button if I can find the right little thingy.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
That annoys me too, but I ain't giving up the two-stage to correct it. Might glue on a little rubber button if I can find the right little thingy.

Thought about canibalizing a button from another trigger and doing that.
The new Back Country's are Cerakoted the Wilderness is matte blue.
© 24hourcampfire