Home
Posted By: kenster99 Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
Have some gun money to spend,was intending to buy a friends Post 64 Winchester model 70 Featherweight ,30-06 controlled feed, imaculate.650.00. Then he brings out a Remington 725 in 280 caliber, about a 90 % gun,725.00. Rare rifle , isnt it?
Posted By: Hairtrigger Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
Easy decision for me
Featherweight
Posted By: JeffP40 Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
I don't know why people do this. A post-64 controlled feed is a CLASSIC. It has nothing to do with '64. I would go with the 725. How many do you see, anywhere. There is an win.06 behind every bush.
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
Easy decision for me
Featherweight

^^^This^^^
Posted By: tmitch Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
I'm an unabashed Winchester fan, however I'm drawn to rare/hard to find rifles as much or more. As JeffP40 said, there's a lot of M70 '06s around and are fairly easy to find. The 725s in .280, not so much. Were I given the choice, I'd pick the 725. As far as price, a quick search found one that sold for $1110 a few years ago, so that 725 sounds like a pretty good deal.

*As far as rarity, according to the auction information:
"The Model 725 was only manufactured between 1958-1961. A total of 16,635 were produced and of those, just 2,784 were chambered for the .280 Remington."
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
Easy decision for me
Featherweight

That would be a "no brainer" decision for me. Nothing special about a Remington 725, 721 or 700 for that matter... Now, if it were a 720, it would be an entirely different story... wink
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
Featherweight.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
280!
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
Winchester but I'm not a Remington guy by any stretch.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
No question, the 725....
Posted By: Jericho Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
I saw a Remington M725 in 222 REM many years at a gun show, only one I have ever handled. Have seen several in 30-06 since then, a 280 would be a rare bird indeed.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
Like them both, a newer model 700 and I would say Winchester. Pick the one that you feel fits best. The 30-06 is not hard to find. The Remington much less so. Both will cover the same range of game.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
The 725 in 280 would be my choice. Especially if it is in good condition. I'd suspect better accuracy, better trigger and better resale value.
Posted By: kellory Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
I would suggest you check for ammo, before deciding. a friend has a .35cal Remington lever gun (iirc) and has one hell of a time getting ammo. only one manufacturer makes it, one run a year, and not every year. left him scrambling for ammo this year. i located two boxes for him, and that was all he could find, at any price.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
Ammo shouldn't be a problem, a quick check of Cabelas shows they have 6 or 7 different .280 Rem loads in stock. BTW, they also have 2 different .35 Rem loads in stock, in case your buddy needs more.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
30-06, keep it simple and options are wide open.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/22/16
Winchester by a country mile.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/23/16
The 725 is a much better deal as far as I am concerned. As others have said, a rare bird in 280 and if you don't like it, you will make money when sell it....
Posted By: memtb Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/23/16
For me, an easy choice........ Winchester Featherweight!!!! memtb
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/23/16
I should have stated in post that these are more of investment guns. I have about 20 other centerfire rifles I hunt with, not at the same time! grin Just never run across the 725's.so its probably that one!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/23/16
Not sure if either will make you much money, but some guy looking to complete a collection might pony up for the .280.

I've always had a hankering for a 30S myself. Supposed to be the cream of the Remington crop.
Posted By: model70man Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/23/16
I would prefer the 725. It handles and feels like a pre-64 Featherweight and I like the safety.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/23/16
At that price, that 725 is liking robbing candy from a baby. You should have already bought it.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Not sure if either will make you much money, but some guy looking to complete a collection might pony up for the .280.

I've always had a hankering for a 30S myself. Supposed to be the cream of the Remington crop.

The 30s were good rifles.
Posted By: LJB3 Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/25/16
Featherweight, all the way!
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/25/16
I own 3 model 70s a 1300 and a 94 tried rem 700 but it didn't fit in
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/25/16
Originally Posted by kellory
I would suggest you check for ammo, before deciding. a friend has a .35cal Remington lever gun (iirc) and has one hell of a time getting ammo. only one manufacturer makes it, one run a year, and not every year. left him scrambling for ammo this year. i located two boxes for him, and that was all he could find, at any price.

For a while, several years, Remington seemed to stop production of .35 Rem ammo. But now it is available again. Your friend should be able to find it now. There's a thread on this very subject down in the Marlin 336 Lever Action forum here on the campfire. MidwayUSA currently has it in stock and probably others too, like Midsouth Shooters Supply, Natchez and Grafs if he can't find it at local stores.
Posted By: SKane Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/25/16
Have you considered buying both? smile
Posted By: Redneck Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/26/16
Originally Posted by SKane
Have you considered buying both? smile
THAT...

Keep the 725 and hope it rises in value - but USE the M70 and drop some meat...
Posted By: Teal Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/26/16
I'd be hard pressed to call a Classic in 30-06 an "investment" gun.

I'd buy the Rem and flip it later if I was looking to raise cash.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/26/16
Originally Posted by teal
I'd be hard pressed to call a Classic in 30-06 an "investment" gun.

I'd buy the Rem and flip it later if I was looking to raise cash.

^^^^^
This
Posted By: 16bore Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/26/16
They call it an investment because you can pretty much quit monkeying around with anything else.
Posted By: memtb Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/26/16
I need to change my suggestion. If for an investement, that's your call. If for a good,user,hunting rifle, then I still go with the Model 70 Winchester! memtb
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/26/16
I'm a model 70 guy. But......the 725 is one of, if not my favorite Remington's, especially in 280.
That rifle is more of a collector than the model 70 classic. off course all that depends on originality and condition. The 725 should have a aluminum butt plate and not a pad.
If for an investment the Remington 725. If for a hunting rifle go with the Model 70 Winchester.

Jerry
Posted By: southtexas Re: Which one to buy-help - 10/26/16
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
If for an investment the Remington 725. If for a hunting rifle go with the Model 70 Winchester.

Jerry

That's the answer!
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Which one to buy-help - 03/13/17

I got em both.Pics of the Rem 725 in 280
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Which one to buy-help - 03/13/17
Wise decision Ken.

Both are great rifles.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Which one to buy-help - 03/13/17
That rifle appears to be in primo condition, with far above average wood. Keep it in the same condition and the market price will surely rise.
© 24hourcampfire