Home
I've been looking for the new Model 70 extreme weather that they have advertised on their site with the gray webbing stock. Can't even find any online. One large chain store says they ship direct from vendor. I heard they moved production to Portugal. Are they experiencing delays?
Buds has them in some calibers.

Buds Gunshop

This availability has always been an issue since the return of the CRF models. Supposedly the move to Portugal was going to improve availability but I think they must do really small runs of some models. The year I was really interested in one there were none to be had anywhere at any price, so I went another direction.
Originally Posted by elelbean
I've been looking for the new Model 70 extreme weather that they have advertised on their site with the gray webbing stock. Can't even find any online. One large chain store says they ship direct from vendor. I heard they moved production to Portugal. Are they experiencing delays?

Rough seas maybe?? whistle
Originally Posted by livefastjohnny
Buds has them in some calibers.

Buds Gunshop

This availability has always been an issue since the return of the CRF models. Supposedly the move to Portugal was going to improve availability but I think they must do really small runs of some models. The year I was really interested in one there were none to be had anywhere at any price, so I went another direction.

I went another direction too, after they starting making them in Portugal...
I've got 4 of the new FN Baco guns and absolutely love them. Much nicer than my pre 64s or usrac. No idea on availability but I think they are worth the wait.
Originally Posted by Seven0Eight
I've got 4 of the new FN Baco guns and absolutely love them. Much nicer than my pre 64s or usrac. No idea on availability but I think they are worth the wait.

I better get the popcorn 🍿 going ..
I sure wish that the 2016 150th edition Model 70 in 270 Win would come out. I need it like another hole in my head but man I wish that they would come out.

How dare he, lol.
I've got 4 of the new FN Baco guns and absolutely love them. ** Much nicer than my pre 64s*** or usrac. No idea on availability but I think they are worth the wait.

That doesn't take a lot.

You can't tell some folk anything! Our own MD has 'repeatedly' posted that Win is NOT making rifles in Portugal but ONLY assembling in Portugal.
Just so you know, 7-08.

Jerry
Originally Posted by hntr1

How dare he, lol.

Hes not the only one that thinks that....hint.
4 extreme weather on Gunbroker

Can I take those junky old pre 64's off your hands?
Originally Posted by southwind

Can I take those junky old pre 64's off your hands?

Dibs!
Never said the pre-64s were junky...i simply said *I* think the current production guns are better...and ill stand behind that for what its worth. I like pre-64s and have owned a pile of them...but if you remove the historical value and mistique...well draw your own conclusions

Ive got 2 of the new ones from SC...A Safari Express 375 and a SuperGrade LW 7x57

2 that say Made in Portugal...both SuperGrade 7mm08s. No difference in quality what so ever

They have very well done barrels based on what I've seen with my titan bore scope and they all shoot lights out. Fit and finish is excellent, the wood on the super grades is spectacular* and the bluing is perfect.

Ive heard some gripes on the new trigger being more complex and failure prone on the new MOA systems and I'm certainly in no position to argue that one way or another. All I can say is that my MOA triggers all came out of the box between 3 and 4 lbs with no creep what so ever. I found no need for further adjustment.

*i was able to hand pick the rifles so the wood I got is spectacular...ive seen some that didnt seem very super imho
Yeah! They aren't! lol.

I ordered a Win M70 fwt, in .280 and it took over a year to get it. I finally got it this past spring.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by hntr1

How dare he, lol.

Hes not the only one that thinks that....hint.

I'm a fan of the two I have.
Very happy with my new EW .308!
Originally Posted by Teeder

I have a new EW in .308 as well, out of curiosity, what are you feeding yours? Mine didn't really care for 165gr Hot Cors over Varget.
Originally Posted by 79S

I better get the popcorn 🍿 going ..

Better make a big batch.....:

sick
[Linked Image]
Never said the pre-64s were junky...i simply said *I* think the current production guns are better...and ill stand behind that for what its worth. I like pre-64s and have owned a pile of them...but if you remove the historical value and mistique...well draw your own conclusions

Ive got 2 of the new ones from SC...A Safari Express 375 and a SuperGrade LW 7x57

2 that say Made in Portugal...both SuperGrade 7mm08s. No difference in quality what so ever

They have very well done barrels based on what I've seen with my titan bore scope and they all shoot lights out. Fit and finish is excellent, the wood on the super grades is spectacular* and the bluing is perfect.

Ive heard some gripes on the new trigger being more complex and failure prone on the new MOA systems and I'm certainly in no position to argue that one way or another. All I can say is that my MOA triggers all came out of the box between 3 and 4 lbs with no creep what so ever. I found no need for further adjustment.

*i was able to hand pick the rifles so the wood I got is spectacular...ive seen some that didnt seem very super imho

I've had a brand new extreme weather with a faulty extractor. My buddy also had an Extreme weather that shot so fu cking poorly, he ended up sending it back to Winchester.... I'll stick with my junky pre 64's, at least they always go bang and nothing ever seems to fail on them.
I have a extreme weather in 325 wsm and it was made at the fn plant in sc it's great shooter shoots 200gr part into less than 1/2 in groups.. but to say its better than a pre 64 is a stretch... don't get me wrong love the EW but wish it had the old style trigger..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I've had a brand new extreme weather with a faulty extractor. My buddy also had an Extreme weather that shot so fu cking poorly, he ended up sending it back to Winchester.... I'll stick with my junky pre 64's, at least they always go bang and nothing ever seems to fail on them.

Except the stocks on the heavy kickers 😜😁
The post 64 New Haven guns were always a crap shoot and the ones sold in the last 5 years the NH plant was open were pretty bad almost across the board.
Pre 64's have mistique, but many are full of tool marks, have crappy triggers and have poorly designed stocks. All the pre 64 guns I have had did shoot very well, but I have only owned 3 of them.
The old style trigger on the post 64's was a MIM'ed piece of junk. Even after it was tuned they never felt that great. I replace them with Jewells, which feel perfect and have been 100% reliable for me under all sorts of conditions going back to the late 90's.
I'd take a FN gun any day over a post 64 new Haven gun and also over many pre 64's.
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
Originally Posted by Teeder

I have a new EW in .308 as well, out of curiosity, what are you feeding yours? Mine didn't really care for 165gr Hot Cors over Varget.

It's new enough that I don't have a load worked up specifically for this rifle, but it shoots a leftover load I had for my old Rem LVSF using 165 Grandslams over RL-15 very well. Watch the throating, you may have to seat out a bit, if you haven't already.
I have rarely met a M70 stock I loved, whether pre 64, post 64, classic or BACO. If I intend to use them for hunting I replace all of them. So stocks on M70's are only adequate as far as I am concerned. I think they all suck but I am fussy. grin

I don't like.....two piece bolt handles, MIM extractors, cast parts like safeties, bolt shrouds, safety levers, triggers, etc etc....(does anyone recall seeing a picture of a BACO trigger just snapped off inside the guard bow? Think it was on here) and other cheapening.

I like machined steel where it's called for. I like quality synthetics or GOOD wood stocks properly bedded.

I have never seen a Classic or BACO that could reliably out shoot a pre 64 in any chambering and I have owned a pile of all of them.

I use the pre 64 or the Classic as a platform to make something out of ...they can keep the BACO trigger as long as I can find a Classic or pre 64 that's what I will use to build a rifle.

I'll take this over any BACO ever made, or any Classic for that matter.

[Linked Image]

This used to be a Classic 270 FW. We threw everything away except the bolt, receiver and trigger,which were all re machined and the bolt handle reinforced so it won't pop off. The trigger has been re worked, extractor replaced, box and follower replaced. It was only fair until Gene Simillion got done with it.

Now it's good.

You don't have to do that much work to a pre 64; just drop it in a McMillan and go hunt. They were more bench made rifles back then.

[Linked Image]

Put me down as a guy who is very happy with the FN version
of the Model 70.

I currently have FN M70s in:

270 Featherweight Deluxe
270 WSM Extreme Weather
300 WSM Exterme Weather
all the above are South Carolina guns

270 Jack O'Connor Tribute which I believe is a Belgian gun.

Here is the thing,all of the above rifles,feed and function perfectly,had decent usable triggers from the factory,and shot MOA or better with factory ammo.

If there is something wrong with any of them,I don't know what it is.

As far as pre64 guns,the stocks just don't feel right to me when the rifles are scoped. I remember O'Connor had his pre64 model 70s restocked. Also the latter production pre64s look pretty rough to me.

The classic series new haven guns were oftem in need of bedding and trigger work to get them to work well. BobinNH here rightly refered to them as a project in a box.

The XTR series guns from the late 70s and 80s were nice rifles out of the box but were push feed M70s.

So all things considered,the FN produced guns have been the most consistant in fit,function,and accuracy of all model 70s when we are talking about being able to scope and hunt with the rifles,right out of the box.
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

270 Jack O'Connor Tribute which I believe is a Belgian gun.

Why would you think they were made in Belgium?

They are all made in Belgium now,not sure if this one is last of South Carolina guns,or first of Belgium guns.
Bob, I haven't had nearly as many M 70s as you so I understand the %.

All of my 70s are/have been XTR or later NH. My Black Shadow I don't think is an XTR.

I have had great accuracy from every one. I mean 1" or less with handloads. Once I get any rifle shooting 1" or so, I don't look for 'target' accuracy.

Also I count myself very lucky.... with 70s AND 700s I have not had ONE of the 'common'(?) problems.

Jerry
Sorry,the new ones are made at FN's facility in Portugal,not the FN facility in Belgium.

Although FN does produce products at both facilities.
The XTR series guns from the late 70s and 80s were nice rifles out of the box but were push feed M70s

These are the real sleepers of the push feed world. CRF is not as critical to me these days. A fine tuned one (mauser, un-molested Pre-64) is a work of art as it slurps cartridges from the magazine, but push feed is much simpler, and I like simple. A lot less tuning to make it work. With a PF M70, you get the old-style trigger, best safety in the business and no puny 700 style extractor.
Sorry,the new ones are made at FN's facility in Portugal,not the FN facility in Belgium.

Although FN does produce products at both facilities.

No model 70's were ever made at the Belgium plant.
Originally Posted by TomM1
The XTR series guns from the late 70s and 80s were nice rifles out of the box but were push feed M70s

These are the real sleepers of the push feed world. CRF is not as critical to me these days. A fine tuned one (mauser, un-molested Pre-64) is a work of art as it slurps cartridges from the magazine, but push feed is much simpler, and I like simple. A lot less tuning to make it work. With a PF M70, you get the old-style trigger, best safety in the business and no puny 700 style extractor.

I picked one up off BSA it was a late 1980 run xtr featherweight man that rifle is a tack driver it's in a 270. I need to find one in a 06.
Originally Posted by jwall
Bob, I haven't had nearly as many M 70s as you so I understand the %.

All of my 70s are/have been XTR or later NH. My Black Shadow I don't think is an XTR.

I have had great accuracy from every one. I mean 1" or less with handloads. Once I get any rifle shooting 1" or so, I don't look for 'target' accuracy.

Also I count myself very lucky.... with 70s AND 700s I have not had ONE of the 'common'(?) problems.

Jerry

Jerry I have had excellent accuracy from ALL of them; pre 64, Classic, and BACO. Enough so that I will never pick a clear winner. The pre 64 is as good as any of them, including those made today.

I have not owned enough BACO rifles to say they function better over all than a pre 64, of which I have owned.....well.....quite a few.

I have seen more Classics and PF's have problems with function than any sampling of pre 64's.

There seems to still be confusion over where recent Model 70's are made, partly because of U.S. laws, which don't always reflect where parts are made, just where they're assembled.

The most recent I own is a .300 WSM purchased 10 months ago. The box says, "Made in Portugal, by Browning Viana," but the action and barrel are both plainly marked "Made in U.S.A." My O'Connor Commemorative's action and barrel are also marked "Made in U.S.A.", as is the box.
John weren't those JOC rifles made before the change to Portugal assembly?
We as gun buyers are a funny bunch...if instead of Portugal it said Belgium...no one would care and many would call it an upgrade
Bob,

Yeah, the O'Connor Model 70's were made before Portugal--but they were not made in Belgium.

Mine, by the way, is one of the two most accurate Model 70's I've ever owned (the other was a pre-'64 .30-06).
[quote=BobinNH]I have rarely met a M70 stock I loved, whether pre 64, post 64, classic or BACO.

I have been lucky in that respect. I have two original Pre-64 M70's in their original state save for glass bedding and floating on one. That one is a .300 H&H built in 1963, supposedly I have read when quality was slipping. It has the stock with the slightly raised comb on it, not a true Monte Carlo and the old ventilated Winchester soft butt pad. It fits me perfectly, in fact next to a custom Model 70 I have it fits better than anything else I own and has excellent balance and pointability. It actually feels lighter than it's actual weight.

Also rather humorously the bedding and floating did not seem to improve its accuracy initially. I called my gunsmith and asked him if he had any ideas because I was really having trouble getting this one to shoot. He is a long time rifle competitor and builder and is a wealth of knowledge. He gave me a very specific load and viola, it shot a jellybean of a three shot group. Anyhow it is one of my favorite hunting rifles and a piece I have really become "one" with.
There isn't a stock in the world that fits me better than the Ruger M77 wood stocks.

Kimber Montana is right there but not better.
Originally Posted by teal
There isn't a stock in the world that fits me better than the Ruger M77 wood stocks.

Kimber Montana is right there but not better.

Ah yes, o'l Les Brownell did a good job on that design. The only issue I ever had with them was the hard red rubber buttpad, especially on my .338 Winchester.
Originally Posted by LJB3
[quote=BobinNH]I have rarely met a M70 stock I loved, whether pre 64, post 64, classic or BACO.

I have been lucky in that respect. I have two original Pre-64 M70's in their original state save for glass bedding and floating on one. That one is a .300 H&H built in 1963, supposedly I have read when quality was slipping. It has the stock with the slightly raised comb on it, not a true Monte Carlo and the old ventilated Winchester soft butt pad. It fits me perfectly, in fact next to a custom Model 70 I have it fits better than anything else I own and has excellent balance and pointability. It actually feels lighter than it's actual weight.

Also rather humorously the bedding and floating did not seem to improve its accuracy initially. I called my gunsmith and asked him if he had any ideas because I was really having trouble getting this one to shoot. He is a long time rifle competitor and builder and is a wealth of knowledge. He gave me a very specific load and viola, it shot a jellybean of a three shot group. Anyhow it is one of my favorite hunting rifles and a piece I have really become "one" with.

LJB: I can shoot those Monte Carlo combed pre 64's.......but they bite. I can shoot the low comb....but they bite, too. smile

I don't care for the post 64 FW....hate schnabel fore ends (gag) eek

And generally the standard stocks are serviceable but bulky and too much wood....that goes for present M70 stocks as well.

I am fussy.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by LJB3

LJB: I can shoot those Monte Carlo combed pre 64's.......but they bite. I can shoot the low comb....but they bite, too. smile

I don't care for the post 64 FW....hate schnabel fore ends (gag) eek

And generally the standard stocks are serviceable but bulky and too much wood....that goes for present M70 stocks as well.

I am fussy.
I like those. cool
smile
© 24hourcampfire