Home
I'm in the market for a 7mm Remington mag, and I'd like some opinions on the rifles listed in the title. Primary purpose would be elk hunting to, say, 600 yards. Ammo would be hand loaded and probably using something like a Berger 168 gr VLD.

The Bergara is intriguing to me, but I'd prefer a stainless rifle if possible... all though, it's not absolutely necessary. What are your thoughts?
Stainless barrel and action, or just a stainless barrel? In addition to their entry level offering - the B14, Bergara offers the B16 Premier which has a stainless barrel. All of the metalwork is Cerakoted.

I fondled the B-14s, and a Bergara Premier Stalker (fiberglass stock) earlier this year. Premier Stalker stock was a High Tech specialties. Since then, Bergara has gone another route with their stocks for the Stalker - probably because High Tech is now owned by Legendary Arms Works (LAW), and they can't keep up with orders for their own guns and stocks. Bergara won't say who the new supplier is - I've ask, more like 'pressed' for that info and they won't budge. I'll have a reps sample in my hands in a week or so (was supposed to be last week !!!) and plan on doing some extensive investigation with regard to the stock, as well as the rest of the rifle. Mind you, the Bergara Stalker has a MSRP north of $2K.
I don't know anything about the Bergaras, but I'd take the Win Extreme Weather over a Remington long range any day.

Unless you are hunting from horses or on private land, carrying a heavy barrel gun in elk country is going to be murder. On you. Not the elk.
Prefer a stainless action & barrel, but again, neither are absolutely necessary. That being said, I won't be spending 2 grand on a rifle. Might go to 1k, but that's only if it's really worth it. That $650 price tag on the Begara is a nice feature... but I haven't heard from anyone that actually owns/shoots one.
The Bergara looks nice for sure. Only heard great things. XW has stainless going for it. Stocks are a wash.

Haven't ever picked up a Rem LR.
Weatherby vanguard wilderness.
Can't speak to the 7mm Rem Mag version of the Bergara, but several have post here on the 'Fire regarding the 6.5 Creed. Can't say that I recall a poor report. I know of a couple local guys that have the B-14 in 30-06 and/or 270 Win and their reports were accompanied by all smiles.
Mark V accumark
Anybody ever play with an X Bolt? The stainless LR hunter looks interesting in 7-mag.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Do they make one in 7 mag? The 240 would have been interesting if they hadn't put a 10 twist on it.
For elk country, the Tikka or Tikka SL would have my attention.
A Tikka sl in 7RM would be nice with a new stock.

I cant get past the factory pos. McMillan Sako Classic would be sweet.
Remington LR is over 9 pounds. Add a scope, mount and bullets and you are over 11 pounds. Hardly an elk rifle I would think.
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Do they make one in 7 mag? The 240 would have been interesting if they hadn't put a 10 twist on it.
I thought they did but after checking I guess not. My brother just bought one in .257 and it's a nice rifle for the money. Was at the range with him for it's initial sight in and it more than lived up to Weatherby's accuracy guarantee. I've been thinking hard on getting one for myself in .25-06.
XCRII 7mm McMillan classic, 8# 1oz as you see it.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 16bore
XCRII 7mm McMillan classic, 8# 1oz as you see it.

[Linked Image]

Meant to compliment this earlier. Great looking rifle.
I'm pretty sure I could be talked out of it.
Originally Posted by Calvin
Anybody ever play with an X Bolt? The stainless LR hunter looks interesting in 7-mag.
\

I would try that for sure. I will take a 26" 7mm Rem mag over a 24 any day of the week
The new Remington 700 American Wilderness looks intriguing as well. Haven't seen them anywhere though.
© 24hourcampfire