Home
I'm looking for a light back packing/truck gun. I want something in the 18"-20" barrel length. I currently own a Remington model 7 stainless in 7/08. What would be my best route?

1. Restock the model 7 with a McMillan Edge?

2. Purchase a Kimber Adirondack? (I found one on sale for $1100)

3. Buy a Montana and lop 2" off the barrel

4. other suggestions?
How does the model 7 shoot right now? If it's a good shooter,I would just buy a stock for it.

On the other hand,only you know if you are looking for an excuse to try a Kimber.
Tikka T3 SL or Lite and lop tube off....
Buy a Rem 700 ADL youth model at Walmart for $379 (wait for black friday and get 20% off), toss the scope, rings and mounts that come with it (or trade for brass), put on a Leupold 3-9X40 VX1, good mounts and rings. Then get on the classifieds and get a full size stock for about $50 (or trade the youth stock). Float with the bread wrapper deal and scrape the goo out of the trigger screw. Back it down to 3-3.5# and you will have yourself a poor mans mountain rifle ready to hunt for $500-$600.
Haven't shot the model 7 yet. Picked it up for a good price.
How about a .30-30 lever gun? Light, handy, plentiful, ammo available everywhere.
Should add that I'd like to shoot out to 500 or so yards. This rifle will be with me next year in Wyomings Region G after Mule Deer.
Howa Alpine

About $850 from Whittakers cerrakoted with a nice stock, detachable mag, and standard bottom metal too.

Not sure what they have in stock, but contact SAS.
© 24hourcampfire