Home
Posted By: MHWASH Help me split hairs please - 11/19/16
I'm looking for a new rifle, jack of all trades, master of none. It will be used for deer, bear, and spike elk. Something I can use out to 500. Not looking for a super light rig, already have a Model 7 260. Plus a Rem 7 mag in a Weatherby Vanguard. I know the 7mag is perfect, but it's a bit heavy for the spring bear hunt I have planned. I'm also wimp when it comes to recoil, so a lighter 7mag is not an option. Right now I'm leaning towards a 270 Win in a Tikka, or possibly a 308.
No splitting hairs here. I'd buy the Tikka 270 and not look back. Sorry, was I supposed to agree with you? I'm only agreeing because I wouldn't sell you my 270 for less than $1,300.00. The Tikka is MUCH cheaper (not because of the plastic parts) and a damn good rifle. I'd jump on it. Too bad you waited, Cabela's had them on sale a couple weeks ago. I believe they were about $650.00....
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/19/16
Yup I bought a NOS T3 270 just a few weeks ago....$469 plus tax couldn't pass it up. I like it a lot, mounted a fixed 6x bore sighted it and picked up the first box of 270 I had laying around. In less than 10 shots I had it zeroed and a nice MOA group. I wish everything in life was that easy.
That's a hell of a good deal Matt. I'd buy them all day long at that price....
Tikka 270. Might as well go long action in a Tikka. Check Eurooptics and Whittakers for deals. Euro has some under $500.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/19/16
I've wanted to try a Tikka for a while so I jumped on this deal. So far I really like it other than its recoil pad which I'll upgrade. Going to be my primary rifle this season. If I continue to shoot it well I'm probably going to look for a T3x CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Stupid thing just shoots too well and carries nicely.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/19/16
Another vote for the Tikka 270. Caution: You might end up wondering why you have that 260...
Posted By: K1500 Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/19/16
Tikka for sure in a LA caliber. If you are looking at a .308, I would go .30-06.
Posted By: MHWASH Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/20/16
The funny/sad thing, depending on your perspective, is I sold a Tikka 270 a couple of years ago to buy the 7 mag.
Posted By: Trystan Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/20/16
Originally Posted by TomM1
Another vote for the Tikka 270. Caution: You might end up wondering why you have that 260...

I think he will likely wonder why he bought a 270 when he already had a 260 that will do everything a 270 will 😃

That's coming from someone who's hunted the 270 exclusively for the last 12 years.

My hunting partner often carried a 6.5 Swede Mauser and we never saw a lick of difference shooting critters out to 400 + yds including elk,deer, and bear.

Trystan
Originally Posted by MHWASH
The funny/sad thing, depending on your perspective, is I sold a Tikka 270 a couple of years ago to buy the 7 mag.

Hell, that's bass ackwards. I was thinking once you had a Tikka T3 in 270, you wouldn't need that Remington 7mm rem... whistle
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/20/16
Originally Posted by Trystan

I think he will likely wonder why he bought a 270 when he already had a 260 that will do everything a 270 will 😃

That's coming from someone who's hunted the 270 exclusively for the last 12 years.

My hunting partner often carried a 6.5 Swede Mauser and we never saw a lick of difference shooting critters out to 400 + yds including elk,deer, and bear.

Trystan

I was speaking more towards the rifle than the chambering. Im a Tikka Kool-aid drinker and would take one hands down over a M7.
Posted By: Trystan Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/20/16
Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

I was speaking more towards the rifle than the chambering. Im a Tikka Kool-aid drinker and would take one hands down over a M7.

Tom,

My 270 is a Tikkas T3. It's the best hunting rifle for the money I've ever hunted hands down. I drank the Kool-Aid also and in my opinion I'm set for a lifetime of hunting smile

Trystan
Posted By: MHWASH Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/20/16
I see the M7 and Tikka as 2 totally different tools. I scope them differently and use them for different purposes.
Buy yourself a Christmas present and get a custom .280 AI built. Alamo Precision does some for around $1,500.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/21/16
Don't forget the .280 REM! Just enough of a caliber increase to avoid going gay.
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Don't forget the .280 REM! Just enough of a caliber increase to avoid going gay.

That's about the best suggestion yet. nobody wants to see anyone here go gay... Just sayin.. whistle
Would a Tikka CTR be too heavy?
Posted By: powdr Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/21/16
By a damn 30-06 and get a handful of 180gr cartridges and go anywhere in N America and kill anything you want. powdr
Originally Posted by powdr
By a damn 30-06 and get a handful of 180gr cartridges and go anywhere in N America and kill anything you want. powdr

Yeah, but that's just a boring ol cartridge..
Posted By: MHWASH Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/23/16
Originally Posted by powdr

Too close to the Whelen and 7 mag that I have. Although the tikka in the classifieds is tempting.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/23/16
I'd buy a scope that had dependable turrets and shoot the existing 260 for everything mentioned.
Posted By: papat Re: Help me split hairs please - 11/23/16
With the 280 crowd here. Hard to beat.
© 24hourcampfire