Home
Based on all the good things said about this bullet on the 'fire, I decided to try it.

Shoots great with the recommended IMR4350. MV is about 2950.

Yesterday I took a small buck with it (field dressed at 105lbs). I put it through the shoulders to see what would happen. He was about 90 yards. Both shoulders were broken and he plowed about 30yards.

The surprise to me was that the bullet did not exit on broadside shot on such a small animal. Unfortunately, I did not have time to dig out the bullet to see what it looked like.

No complaints. He was thoroughly dead. And I know one data point doesn't prove anything. Just surprised, and thought I'd pass along the intel.
Range at impact?
When you say "shoulders" is that the shoulder blades or shoulder knuckles/ball joints ?
About 90
Ball joint going in. Shoulder blade on off side
Originally Posted by southtexas

Bones will slow them up....but on three separate head of game I haven't gotten an exit yet. Great performance...especially for the crowd that thinks expending energy in the target is the way to go.
Originally Posted by southtexas
Ball joints are tougher on bullets than blades but still not much penetration there considering the size of the deer.
I've not had a failure to exit, either, but I still haven't shot a huge amount of deer with that bullet.

I still have complete faith in it. Maybe the fact that mine are going 3000 fps vs your 2950 makes the difference.....(grin)
I blew thru both shoulders of a WT Buck at 100 yds, about a 150 lb 8pt, young buck, 20" 243 M7 XCR

Killed a few more via a 6mm BR Dakota - lung shots, nice exit holes under the hide, plenty damage.

My overall go to bullet in 6mm, it expands well and retains energy downrange, as well as retains weight and penetrates, near and far. Hard to beat all around, and I would not hesitate to 500 yds or so if I had the dope to punch vitals. Oh, did I say accurate? 1/2" was the norm at 200 yds in the BR.
You do realize deer front shoulders do not have ball joints?
Details details.
But the back shoulders do. laugh
What exactly do you call the junction of the upper leg bone and the scapula? Lot of bone there.
That would be the (front) shoulder joint?

(I'm an old slide rule trained engineer, not an orthopod) smile
Originally Posted by Palidun
What exactly do you call the junction of the upper leg bone and the scapula? Lot of bone there.
Ball joints is what I call them.
Originally Posted by kevinJ

Thank You! I've been wanting to say that for a while. The hips have "ball" joints but not the shoulders. You can tell who processes their own deer.
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers

Thank You! I've been wanting to say that for a while. The hips have "ball" joints but not the shoulders. You can tell who processes their own deer.
I've processed well over 200 of them and still call the joint where the upper leg bone {femur?} and shoulder blade connect a "ball joint". There is a ball and socket joint there so WTF else would you suggest calling it ?
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I've processed well over 200 of them and still call the joint where the upper leg bone {femur?} and shoulder blade connect a "ball joint". There is a ball and socket joint there so WTF else would you suggest calling it ?

Grilled cheese sandwich.

I call it a ball/socket joint, even thought the socket is small and kinda reversed. If it allows rotational movement I think of it as a ball/socket.
It's a hinge joint between humerous and scapula. Isn't it amazing the fact they do not have a ball and socket joint holding the front legs in place? Helps them to run fast due to flexibility I'm sure but still amazing they can run so fast and are so agile/stable without it
Originally Posted by mathman

Grilled cheese sandwich.

If I had been drinking coffee it would have been on the keyboard!
© 24hourcampfire