Home
Posted By: Fenton RAR Scope Ring Options - 11/27/16
Hi Guys,

Last night on my way home from a hunting trip, I stopped by a local store which had the RAR in .243 with that Kryptek dipped camo stock. For $280.00 I thought I'd try one.

It comes with Weaver style aluminum bases. You guys got a favorite ring to use with these Weaver bases?

Thanks,
Fenton
Have you considered pulling the weavers and just going with a set of talley lightweights?? That's how I'd roll. If you want to keep the weavers, I'd suggest a set of Burris zee's. I have a set on my old m1917 and really like them...
Posted By: JGRaider Re: RAR Scope Ring Options - 11/27/16
I'm using Warne rings on my RAR because I found them locally. I like them though, but would probably buy Burris Signature rings if I could find them around here. The Warne's are working fine though.
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: RAR Scope Ring Options - 11/27/16
I'm using plain old Weaver lows on mine. Mostly because I already had them on hand. They work well though. If your RAR shoots like mine, you'll be a happy camper. First 3 shots, 3/4" and it's done that with just about every load.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: RAR Scope Ring Options - 11/27/16
Warne are my preferred Weaver-style rings, so that's what I have on my RAR-Ps.
I set up 3 RARs identically and as cheaply as I could so went with the Leupold Rifleman. I'm sure there are better (I know there are better looking) but they seem to be holding the scopes fine so far. No real big boomers though.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: RAR Scope Ring Options - 11/28/16
I like the old school standard Weaver rings. Hell for stout and they also weight less than most.

I got Talley lows on the 3 I have
Posted By: hanco Re: RAR Scope Ring Options - 11/29/16
Go with the Talleys
Posted By: tzone Re: RAR Scope Ring Options - 11/29/16
Pretty sure I have Weavers on my boy's .223 RAR Compact. Not sure what the issues are folks have with them. They're light, and work fine.
Only thing I've heard is the "cock" they can induce to a scope. Well, that and they're not all that attractive.
Burris Zee are cheap and work. I took those bases off of mine and put on an EGW picatinny rail. Depending on the scope it will have either Seekins or TPS rings.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: RAR Scope Ring Options - 11/29/16
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Only thing I've heard is the "cock" they can induce to a scope. Well, that and they're not all that attractive.

I once typed about the Weaver Detachable Top Mounts, "they look like chit" and the fanboys 'bout had a freak out! One astute member called me an asswipe for it and put me on ignore, LOL. Maybe I shoulda toned it down and said they're RAResque? For gawd's sake he had them on a $1000 rifle or a custom or such. LOL They still use slotted screws on them? They're ok, and I use a few sets here and there, but there's many many options... Weaver makes better rings, such as the Grand Slam Steel Top Mount. Even the Sure Grip version is better, won't likely 'cock'.

The Leupold PRW is an excellent design.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: RAR Scope Ring Options - 11/29/16
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I once typed about the Weaver Detachable Top Mounts, "they look like chit" and the fanboys 'bout had a freak out! One astute member called me an asswipe for it and put me on ignore, LOL. Maybe I shoulda toned it down and said they're RAResque? For gawd's sake he had them on a $1000 rifle or a custom or such. LOL They still use slotted screws on them? They're ok, and I use a few sets here and there, but there's many many options... Weaver makes better rings, such as the Grand Slam Steel Top Mount. Even the Sure Grip version is better, won't likely 'cock'.

I imagine the strap-on Weavers I find for 5 bucks are sold by folks that 'cant' appreciate 'em.

Win-win.

Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: RAR Scope Ring Options - 11/29/16
I've paid up to $7 used and think they are RAResque. (-:
Posted By: carbon12 Re: RAR Scope Ring Options - 11/29/16
I've paid up to $7 used and think they are RAResque. (-:

Nah.

Not nearly raresque. In fact, pretty common. grin

I totally agree with you. The fan boys get pizzed like little biotches are known to do at times. They do look like chit and I know one individual you speak of that has a tacky as hell silver set on a nice model 70, or is it a Kimber montana? Either way, they look like chit. Much better options out there. Now get ready for the tears to fall.... wink. Just sayin..
© 24hourcampfire