Home
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Favor To Ask !!! - 11/28/16
This may be too big a favor to ask but here goes. I hunt with a Ruger 77 Compact in .308 Win. Having a 16.5" barrel I am curious about my velocity. I am looking for a member from the Pittsburgh, PA area that owns a chronograph that might let me tag along and put a few rounds thru it.

Thanx in advance....Rich !!!
Posted By: ctpa61 Re: Favor To Ask !!! - 11/29/16
shoot me a PM i may be able to help you out.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Favor To Ask !!! - 11/29/16
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
member from the Pittsburgh, PA area that owns a chronograph that might let me tag along and put a few rounds thru it.

Thanx in advance....Rich !!!

When it warms up next spring, if you find yourself in the vicinity of Somerset, let me know. You can put a few rounds OVER mine (hopefully none thru it!) grin

Dale
Posted By: Hairtrigger Re: Favor To Ask !!! - 12/01/16
I have an Oehler that is very user friendly,
Im in NW Ohio but get to the Pittsburgh area every month or so... was there on Monday this week
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Favor To Ask !!! - 12/29/16
I got together with ctpa61 and he was kind enough to let me shoot over his chronograph. I was shooting a Ruger 77 Compact in .308. I am losing 33 FPS. With the 16.5 in. barrel.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Favor To Ask !!! - 12/29/16
You can get a Shooting Chrony for about $109 new. They used to sell refurbs for about half that. Certainly worth a call.

I've been using my Shooting Chrony for about 14 years now, no complaints.
Posted By: Old_Doe_Shooter Re: Favor To Ask !!! - 12/29/16
OP, You are losing 33 fps compared to what? Factory charts?
33 fps is meaningless in a hunting rifle and I don't think you are going to use that Ruger Compact for match shoots.
I wish they offered that short barrel in a full sized stock as an option rather than buy another stock
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Favor To Ask !!! - 12/29/16
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter
OP, You are losing 33 fps compared to what? Factory charts?
33 fps is meaningless in a hunting rifle and I don't think you are going to use that Ruger Compact for match shoots.
I wish they offered that short barrel in a full sized stock as an option rather than buy another stock

I am comparing my chronographed velocity to what Hornady states they got.

Match shoots.....could care less!!!

I did this solely out of curiousity.

The stock fits fine.
© 24hourcampfire