Home
I was shooting the old Hornady Custom 140gr interlock with pretty good luck but I've shot it all up and need something else to shoot...wanted to see what everybody else wasn't having success with before I go blindly trying out ammo...I'mbot opposed to loading my own and am open to suggestions there too...

Thanks
Chase
If I had to shoot factory, I'd probably try Federal Fusion. I loaded my own, and had good luck with 125 grain partitions, and 130 grain Sierra BTHP Gamekings.

BTW, that was out of a Tikka T3 Hunter.
Handload and you can shoot whatever you want...

I don't own a Tikka, but own several 6.5 x 55s...

and that includes everything from 85 grain HPs to 140 grain SP and occasionally 142 grain Match bullets...

at all velocities from minimum to max...
I have good luck with Prvi Partazan 139 grain soft points in a 96 Swede. Cheap, accurate enough and good penetration.
I've found it's hard NOT to get a bullet to shoot well in my two T3's in 6.5x55. I've had great groups with 100 BT, 129 and 140 Interloks, 140 Partions, 130 Accubonds and TSX's. Also 120 TTSX's.

So try as I might to find a bullet that will not shoot great, I've given up in failure. wink
Not a Tikka but in my Sako Finnlight I shoot Nosler Trophy Grade 140 grain Accubonds and Hornady Superformance 139 SST's. Good luck
Thanks for the input guys...
If it were me, Lapua Scenars from Graffs. 50 round boxes I believe.
139 scenars in mine
My Tikka loves the 130 gr Accubond over 47 grs of RL17 ,Laupa brass and a 210 match primer
120 gr Speers and 160 gr Hornady RN. My Tikka shoots both equally well
Any experience with the new Hornady ELDX bullet
After reading almost universal praise about them I've decided I want a Tikka T3x 6.5x55 Swede! It seems they are inherently accurate with a number of loads.

Eventually, I'm going to get one. The decision I have to make is do I buy a stainless rifle or settle for one that is blued. Decisions, decisions....

I'd love a stainless/laminated or maybe just a stainless/synthetic. I'm always very nervous about buying blued rifles due to them rusting easier.

I will get a Tikka T3x in 6.5x55 Swede!

My T3 Forest 6.5x55 shoots the 140 Partition with H4831 better than anything else so far, but I haven't tried a large variety of combos yet.
My wife has a lefty T 3 Lite in 6.5x55 and like pretty much every one I ave heard of it shoots great. I load her 120 gr Ballistic Tips with H 4350 for deer, it shoots them very well. H 4350 with 140 gr Partition's shot well at lower speeds but "only" grouped around 1 1/4" with the maximum load. H 4350 did very well with the 140 gr SST and the 120 gr Ballistic Tip with H 4895 shoots very well. Those are the only loads we have tried so far in the gun and only one averages over 1" for 3 shots.

I'm going to try IMR 4955 with the 140 gr Partition's and see if I can get 2700 fps and tight groups.
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
My wife has a lefty T 3 Lite in 6.5x55 and like pretty much every one I ave heard of it shoots great. I load her 120 gr Ballistic Tips with H 4350 for deer, it shoots them very well. H 4350 with 140 gr Partition's shot well at lower speeds but "only" grouped around 1 1/4" with the maximum load. H 4350 did very well with the 140 gr SST and the 120 gr Ballistic Tip with H 4895 shoots very well. Those are the only loads we have tried so far in the gun and only one averages over 1" for 3 shots.

I'm going to try IMR 4955 with the 140 gr Partition's and see if I can get 2700 fps and tight groups.

It's been a few years but I remember having really good accuracy at or a little above 2700 with Rel 22 with 140gr partitions in a T3. Might be worth a try.
My lefty T3 loves 120 TTSX and 38 grains of Varget. In fairness, no loads tried have really shot poorly out of the rifle. I've been really impressed with the lethality of the combo.
this right now.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...156-grain-oryx-protected-point-box-of-20

Wow! Spendy!

P
Mine really liked 120 gr BTs.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mistem
My Tikka loves the 130 gr Accubond over 47 grs of RL17 ,Laupa brass and a 210 match primer

Mistem,

I purchased a 6.5X55 swede a about 2 weeks back. My load is almost identical to yours the only difference being I used a CCI 200 primer. My velocity was 2920 average. I had just enouph season left to hunt I used the load on 2 deer and results were spectacular, both pass throughs and quick kills. One at 60 yds the other at close to 300. The close to 300 yd deer had an exit wound the size of a 50 cent peice and i suspect one could easily stretch this load to 400+ and get good results. Accuracy is excellent.

I suspect this load may work well on elk sized critters also and thought Id ask if you've had the opportunity to try the load on larger critters than deer.

Thanks

Tristan
Norma 156 gr Oryx.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Wow! Spendy!

P

Money is no issue to Daddy Warbucks.
just under 2700 feet per second in my gun. i'll let you know how they work on my new mexico bull elk next year.

3 shot 100 yard target. good enough for me

[Linked Image]
chase -

I got my load from Denton, pressure tested in modern firearms. AS ALWAYS work up carefully.

denton
Campfire Outfitter

***49.5 grains H4350 with a 120 grain Sierra bullet and 3.000" COL gives me a measured 59.4 KPSI and 3075 FPS out of a 24" barrel. I back that one down a grain just for luck. Should give you about 3025 and around 57 KPSI, which is a conservative load for a modern rifle.***

47.5 grains H4350 behind a 129 grain Hornady bullet, 3.000" COL, gives 2951 FPS. I don't have a pressure measurement on that. Same 24" barrel.

There are more loads listed:
Reloading Big Game Rifles--Forum

Campfire Pet Loads --- Good 6.5X55 Loads

I'm shooting 49.5 gr IMR 4350 -- 120 gr N BTs. 3000 fps
Win 70, 22" bll.

Good Luck

Jerry
Not much that T-3's won't shoot.
I was getting some good ( maybe too good ) velocities with R26 and various 129-130 grain bullets. At 90 degrees same charge resulted in flat primers with the LRAB but not others so I don't want to quote the load. It just now cooled off here so I will check a few in cooler weather before I go to the trouble of pulling the bullets which I understand the LRAB doesn't like. I'll be happy at 3,000 fps which should be do-able and not flatten primers in hot weather.
Picked up one of the T3 Lite SS when the were on sale at EO. 120g NBT's over 49g R-19. During work up the worst group was 0.86". The best, at 49g, was 0.43"
My old 96 swede does like the 140 partition at 2700
Originally Posted by 16bore
If it were me, Lapua Scenars from Graffs. 50 round boxes I believe.

Not a Tikka but these Scenars in the 123 gr flavor print 5-shot groups UNDER .5" in my 6.5x55.
I reload, so I tried some of the 142 gr NLRAB's pushing them right under 2900 fps and getting .33 group (4 shot)
© 24hourcampfire