Home
Those of you who have had Tikka actions cerakoted, how did it affect the smoothness of the bolt. One of my favorite parts of my Tikka is how smooth the operation of the bolt is, however it is the standard factory stainless finish and I would love to have the entire barreled action cerakoted graphite black. In your experience does the action stay as smooth, and if not, what options may there be. Cerakote everything but the bolt, everything but the lugs? I've only had one rifle cerakoted (Rem 700) so I'm pretty green when it comes to this process. Thanks for the help.
I'd also be concerned coating the bolt would lessen the slick feel and would probably either leave the bolt alone or look into micro slick coating for the bolt if it was mine.

I haven't had any of my tikkas coated though, only a Remington and a rugger 77. They weren't slick before coating anyway. Someone whos done a tikka bolt before may know better than I do..
I would coat everything except the bolt
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I would coat everything except the bolt

This ^^^ unless someone can come up with a better idea.
if it ain't broke don't fix it
As far as I could tell... Ceracote had no effect on the action of my wife's CTR.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
As far as I could tell... Ceracote had no effect on the action of my wife's CTR.

[Linked Image]

Cerakote is not that thin that dimensions would not change.
I'll chime in that if applied professionally no issues.. for comparison I have 3. One with lugs tapped off,one entirely coated and one stainless left untouched. Now only comparison difference, all three bolts are fluted.

[Linked Image]

Funny.... I actually did it... and know nothing changed. You're guessing... and calling me a liar. Damn I love the campfire... where empirical evidence means far less than speculation and wive's tales....

[Linked Image]

Funny.... I actually did it... and know nothing changed. You're guessing... and calling me a liar. Damn I love the campfire... where empirical evidence means far less than speculation and wive's tales....

Don't get your panties in a wad. I am just saying that cerakoat can add dimensionally to a part.
If your worried about corrosion and keeping it slick you can go with np3. If you want to keep it black you can go with ionbond.

Cerakote will add some thickness but until you go to benchrest rifle tolerances it will not be relevant.
What about ultra gun shield
Hired Gun on here has Cerakoted 5 of my rifles externally
Micro-slick internally
This is what you need
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
If your worried about corrosion and keeping it slick you can go with np3. If you want to keep it black you can go with ionbond.

Cerakote will add some thickness but until you go to benchrest rifle tolerances it will not be relevant.

Thanks for that info.. I have a Tikka T3x and a Sako A7 SS I will be coating
Originally Posted by ned
if it ain't broke don't fix it

It certainly aint broke, but aesthetics do matter to me and I get more enjoyment out of a rifle if it fits my idea of what looks badass.

I can deal with the action not remaining as super smooth as came from the factory but I wouldnt want to see a major difference.
Some here obviously are talking out their a$$es.

Coat it, it will be fine.....
It had absolutely no negative effect on mine whatsoever.
Guess I'll quit sweating over it and get it done. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
© 24hourcampfire