Home
I am trying to find some review/feedback on Kimber 84M longMaster rifle,
seems pretty interesting: sub-MOA guarantee, match grade barrel,
glass and pillar bedded. Anybody has first hand experience on this?

Thanks
I had one. Extremely accurate, with a nice piece of wood.

Maybe a little heavy for stalking (no heavier than a M70 sporter), but it makes a great stand rifle.

My son wanted it (he always wants my nicest guns) so I sold (not gave) it to him.

Somebody else has mentioned one they had too, that was the most accurate rifle they owned. Cannot remember who? Pappy?
Guilty.

Scary accurate. Lovely wood. The dealer I bought it from sent it back to Kimber because the wood wasn't what he thought it should be on an $1100 (2005) rifle. They fixed that!

I really liked that rifle, but had to rebuild the transmission on a Toyota (never again) while my son was at WVU, so something had to go. It was the only one other than my pre-64 that would fetch enough to cover the bill.

I look at them online occasionally...
I'd go the Ruger Precision Rifle route if wanting a long range 308. Rave reviews and the aftermarket parts are starting to flow, including pre-chambered barrels from folks like LRI.

Despite the name, I don't think anyone, including Kimber, looks at the Longmaster as a "Long Range" rifle in the current sense of the term. It's a somewhat heaver, and upgraded version of the 84, but still pretty light for a walnut & steel sporter. The fluted, bead-blasted barrel adds enough weight to move the balance forward a bit which makes shooting from field positions, especially offhand, somewhat easier. Many shooters struggle with shooting very light rifles from the bench and the extra weight mitigates that a good bit and looks pretty good doing it, at least to me. Mine wore a Bushnell Elite 4200 1-6x42 (I think) scope that was pretty heavy as well, but a very nice scope. I mourn its loss almost as much as the rifle's.

I think that Kimber would sell a good many more Longmasters if they would broaden the cartridge choices a bit to include possibly 6.5 Creedmore and fast-twist .22s and .24s like the XC or Creedmore. That might even get me to pony up for one again, which I think about from time to time, despite having more rifles than an old fat man really needs.
Thanks folks for all the replies.
© 24hourcampfire