Home
Posted By: saddlesore New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
Could a fellow purchase a .243 light weight rifle under 6 pounds and top it off with a lightweight scope the wouldn't break the bank in cost? Suggestions?
Posted By: Poconojack Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
A 243 Kimber Montana weighs in at 5 lbs. 5 oz.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
It pretty much just comes down to if you will tolerate a plastic trigger guard.

for what bullet? Heavy (1 in 8" or 9" twist) or 100 grain and under?
Posted By: Brad Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
For light and money saver I'd look at the Kimber Hunter 1st. As Sam points out, you'd have to be able to live with a plastic trigger guard. I think it's a really good rifle though.

For really light, Kimber Montana.

Of course, there's always the Tikka too, though it is a LA.
Posted By: Terryk Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
A Tikka T3 Lite and a Leupold VX2 is a quality light rig on the cheap. I think the Tikka is 6 pounds and a few ounces.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
A used Savage Light weight hunter might be about as cheap as you could find.I don't know if it is under 6 lbs.

I say bite the bullet and buy the Kimber Montana,and top it with a fixed 6X36 Leupold. that's about as cheap as I would go and it should be reliable if you aren't dialing after sighting in.

Sportsman's Warehouse did have Superlight Tikkas but I don't think they are under 6 lbs either. That would be light and accurate though.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
Originally Posted by Terryk
A Tikka T3 Lite and a Leupold VX2 is a quality light rig on the cheap. I think the Tikka is 6 pounds and a few ounces.

With these heavier DNZ rings and a VX3 3.5x10x40 I'm at 6 lbs 12 ozs for this SL. If you put some Talleys and maybe a 6x36 you could drop another 6-7 ozs I think.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Could a fellow purchase a .243 light weight rifle under 6 pounds and top it off with a lightweight scope the wouldn't break the bank in cost? Suggestions?

I'd need to know the size of the bank before I could answer that question.

Dave
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
The Kimber Hunter TG solution.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ChipM Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

That is the big question, one man's bank is different then anothers
Posted By: 444Matt Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
T3x Compact with a FX II 6x would do what's you're asking. In fact I see that exact setup in my future.
Posted By: Ringman Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16

Savage makes one that is 5.6 pounds. I bought a stainless model last week new for $498. It will get Talley light weight rings that weigh 2.5 ounces. There are scopes from about ten ounces up to three pounds. Mine will be a 4-16X40 that weighs 16 ounces.

If you purchased the same rifle and rings and put a ten ounce scope the rifle would weigh about 6.6 pounds. Add a home made sling like I use for another ounce and you are at 6.7 pounds ready to load.
Posted By: 35 Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
I picked up a Ruger Hawkeye SS Ultra lite with synthetic stock and a 20" barrel last year.
It`s about 6 1/2 lbs without the scope
CDNN had them for sale at $499
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16

Just weighed a Tikka T3X .308Win this weekend and it was 6# 1.8 oz. on the postal scale. The 300WM went to 6# 3 oz..
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Just weighed a Tikka T3X .308Win this weekend and it was 6# 1.8 oz. on the postal scale. The 300WM went to 6# 3 oz..

You'll think that 300 went "postal", after you fire it.... Have fun with that one... eek

That's the one I'd look into. I wouldn't shed a tear about it being a long action either. whistle
Posted By: saddlesore Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
Originally Posted by ChipM
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

That is the big question, one man's bank is different then anothers

I'm thinking in the $500-$600 range. Probably only use it a few more years. Mostly on antelope. Presently I am shooting a sportarized Swede 6.5 with a Fixed Leupold 6X.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16

Under 6lbs, and low cost are hard to find.

Closest I can think of is the CVA Scout which is also short since it's a single-shot with 20" or 22" barrel. Never owned or fired one, but they feel handy and are low cost. CVA claims 5.8 lbs. There is a take-down version now that sells for ~$325 online, in stainless.

I'm not really a fan of single-shots but it could be handy for some applications.

Video -- CVA Scout Take-down
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: New light weight rifle - 12/05/16
I don't know of anything under 6 lbs and under $600.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: New light weight rifle - 12/06/16
Originally Posted by Ringman

Savage makes one that is 5.6 pounds. I bought a stainless model last week new for $498. It will get Talley light weight rings that weigh 2.5 ounces. There are scopes from about ten ounces up to three pounds. Mine will be a 4-16X40 that weighs 16 ounces.

If you purchased the same rifle and rings and put a ten ounce scope the rifle would weigh about 6.6 pounds. Add a home made sling like I use for another ounce and you are at 6.7 pounds ready to load.

It was eligible for a rebate last week. What caliber did you get yours in. I have one in 223 and love it. Only one trip to the range so far, but it gets the job done. I haven't weighed mine. I am using Talley rings and a VX2 3-9x40. Mine was $425 after the rebate.
Posted By: j2dogs Re: New light weight rifle - 12/06/16
I have a Browning micro hunter in 7mm/08 that I could not be happier with. It weighs 6lbs 2oz., has a great trigger. Shoots lights out. I took one at a laser ranged 253 yds. the deer were moving and one stopped long enough for me to get on him. Year after year this rifle performs above expectation. It carries a VXll Leupy 3x9.
Posted By: smokepole Re: New light weight rifle - 12/06/16

That's where I'd be headed.
Posted By: chas05 Re: New light weight rifle - 12/06/16
www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11632988/FS:_Kimber_Hunter_.308#Post11632988
Posted By: saddlesore Re: New light weight rifle - 12/06/16
Thanks,I will be checking out the Kimber Montana, Tikka T3x and Savage this week.

Probably sell a few guns to finance it.
Posted By: qotsarock Re: New light weight rifle - 12/06/16
Could try a Marlin XS7 on closeout, around 6.25 pounds.
Posted By: Ringman Re: New light weight rifle - 12/06/16
PaulBarnard,

I also bought a .223. Thanks for the heads up on the rebate.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: New light weight rifle - 12/06/16
You can get down to 6.2 lb with a Ruger American standard.
Posted By: ChipM Re: New light weight rifle - 12/07/16
Cabelas has the Savage Lightweight Hunter Stainless on sale for $599 this week. They may not be the prettiest rifle out there but never saw one that can't shoot. Comes in 243, 308, 270 and 6.5 CM
Posted By: j2dogs Re: New light weight rifle - 12/09/16
Don't want to sound contentious, I know there are a lot of Tikka fans here. I have never shot one and I am sure by the following they have, they shoot well. I have handled a couple off the rack.The bolts seemed rough and gritty and with a little bit of slop, this did not endear me to the rifle.
Maybe the ones I picked were on the lower end of the line.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: New light weight rifle - 12/09/16
A Tikka bolt rough and gritty? I assure you that is way way outside of the norm for aT3.
Posted By: j2dogs Re: New light weight rifle - 12/09/16
My apologies. I did pick the guns up off the rack in a pawn store. Maybe it was used and abused, but it looked new to me.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: New light weight rifle - 12/09/16
I've never seen a Tikka gritty either, maybe the one you tried was gritty,as in full of sand.
Posted By: Ringman Re: New light weight rifle - 12/09/16
Tikkas are the smoothest I have tried recently. Gritty is certainly not my experience with any I handled.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: New light weight rifle - 12/09/16
Originally Posted by qotsarock
Could try a Marlin XS7 on closeout, around 6.25 pounds.

Maybe the best choice considering cost. I had one. My step-son liked it alot, so he has it now. Stock by the famous Mtnboomer here on the 'fire.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1Nut Re: New light weight rifle - 12/09/16
Originally Posted by Ringman
Tikkas are the smoothest I have tried recently. Gritty is certainly not my experience with any I handled.

No way a Tikka is "gritty". Somethin wrong... I really like my Plastikkas. They one-hole easily, and are very smooth.

This T3 in 260 loves 125 partitions.
[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire