Home
Posted By: StudDuck Authentic KS? - 12/05/16
I've been trolling for a M700 Mountain KS in 270. I came across the following on Gunbroker, but there's something that doesn't look right about that stock.

I haven't called Remington with the serial number yet, but in an attempt to boost my post count, I thought I'd post-up.

KS
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Authentic KS? - 12/05/16
Textured rattlecan paint job. Blek...

Is the plain matte bolt body right?
Posted By: deflave Re: Authentic KS? - 12/05/16
Might be a genuine KS stock under that paint job but that schit ain't factory.

Dave
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Authentic KS? - 12/05/16
I would like an up close of the barrel contour next to the reciever to see the markings to tell. I have had 1/2 dozen of them
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Authentic KS? - 12/05/16
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Textured rattlecan paint job. Blek...

Is the plain matte bolt body right?

That texture is what got me, it looks bad to say the least.

I think some of the newer KS rifles had a matte bolt.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Authentic KS? - 12/05/16
In the opinion of the in-house gunsmith, it is, in his opinion, fully functional.... Weird disclaimer talk stuff... Uber rings. Curious what folks think.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Authentic KS? - 12/05/16
KS stock hiding under someone's idea of an upgrade.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Authentic KS? - 12/05/16
Ask what is written on the barrel.. The KS has only the chambering on the barrel, no brand name, nothing but the chambering stamped near the reciever.
Posted By: toad Re: Authentic KS? - 12/06/16
yea, the lack of any clear pictures of the barrel stamps are a big red flag.

there will be proof marks in addition to the cal. designation.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Authentic KS? - 12/06/16
Painted 1st Gen Ti stock
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Authentic KS? - 12/06/16
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I would like an up close of the barrel contour next to the reciever to see the markings to tell. I have had 1/2 dozen of them

That - I've looked at the ad and it could be a KS, but the finish isn't right on the action. Its an early version since its a "B" prefix action and the really early KS's seemed to be kind of a shiny almost blued finish. Then later on they had a matte finish. And like Oldelk said got to see the left side of the barrel for the marking - they should look something like this if a true KS.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Authentic KS? - 12/06/16
Originally Posted by GeoW
Ask what is written on the barrel.. The KS has only the chambering on the barrel, no brand name, nothing but the chambering stamped near the reciever.

I've owned a couple, but I did own one in a 300 Win Mag from the mid-80's that had "Custom Shop" or "Remington Custom Shop" stamped on top of the barrel near the receiver.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Authentic KS? - 12/06/16
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Painted 1st Gen Ti stock

That's not a Ti. The pad is smoother and rounded edges. The Ti pads were not rounded.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Authentic KS? - 12/06/16
It's a ks stock under the paint. This vintage should be a brown.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Authentic KS? - 12/06/16
Call the custom shop with the serial number. They will tell when it was made and which gun smith made it. They even told me what ammo was used in it when one of mine was tested. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Call the custom shop with the serial number. They will tell when it was made and which gun smith made it. They even told me what ammo was used in it when one of mine was tested. Hasbeen

I'm avoiding this one.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I've got a question about that. What was the original color of those stocks? I've got one that was made in 1986 with a Brown Precision Kevlar stock that has a green/olive color to it.

I recently contacted Brown Precision about having the stock repainted to the original color; long story short, the original color is no longer available and Mark told me the closest match would be their Gray Ghost. Were the original stocks gray? I've owned three in the past, one with a Brown Precision stock and the other two wore McMillan's. All of them were green in color.
Kind of a gray-brown. Less green then the later McMillans.
Here is mine before I had it repainted - this was right after I had Karl Feldkamp flute the bolt. The lighting isn't great and makes it look a little darker than it was. Its similar to the Kimber grey but not as matte maybe more shine as I recall. This is a Brown Precision stock.
[Linked Image]
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/603989138

This is a brown.
Here is another one that shows the original color pretty well. Its a .280 !!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/603203113
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Authentic KS? - 12/06/16
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

I had one of those in SS once, wish it had not gone down the road.
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I've got a question about that. What was the original color of those stocks? I've got one that was made in 1986 with a Brown Precision Kevlar stock that has a green/olive color to it.

I recently contacted Brown Precision about having the stock repainted to the original color; long story short, the original color is no longer available and Mark told me the closest match would be their Gray Ghost. Were the original stocks gray? I've owned three in the past, one with a Brown Precision stock and the other two wore McMillan's. All of them were green in color.

I have a friend that still has his, he bought it in the 86 time period and I don't think it is grey. I will ask him , his is all original.

Nice gun, about $300 too high. It's been listed for months.
That's a McMillan on the 280 in your link

Not to question you but it could actually be a Brown. Its a "C" prefix action like mine so its from circa 1991-1992 or so. Mine is a 1992 gun and it came with the Brown Precision stock. Not sure exactly when they switched though so it could be a later "C" action KS?? Regardless, probably the best Remington ever built IMHO.

Yep.

I love those stocks.

Not to question you but it could actually be a Brown. Its a "C" prefix action like mine so its from circa 1991-1992 or so. Mine is a 1992 gun and it came with the Brown Precision stock. Not sure exactly when they switched though so it could be a later "C" action KS?? Regardless, probably the best Remington ever built IMHO.

The following is an excerpt from an email sent to me from Mark Brown, President of Brown Precision.

"We started making stocks for Remington in 1983 (in very limited numbers), and still supply a small number of stocks to their custom shop. The majority of the Kevlar stocks we supplied were between 1984 and 1994 (but there were other manufacturers supplying stocks at the same time)
StudDuck,

Thats some great information regarding the stocks, that should be a sticky for the next time this comes up in a KS thread:)
StudDuck,

Thats some great information regarding the stocks, that should be a sticky for the next time this comes up in a KS thread:)

Here's a link to a thread from last year when I asked about the barrel markings from the Custom Shop.

And I do agree with you Frank, those were some of the best rifles Remington ever brought to market.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Authentic KS? - 12/06/16
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I've been trolling for a M700 Mountain KS in 270. I came across the following on Gunbroker, but there's something that doesn't look right about that stock.

I haven't called Remington with the serial number yet, but in an attempt to boost my post count, I thought I'd post-up.

KS

I think that's a KS stock by the looks of the design & recoil pad, but you need to verify the serial number with Remington to be sure that the gun is a true Custom Shop KS.

It's an ugly re-paint job, but any good cerrkote shop like Karl Feldcamp at Kampfeld custom can fixed that by blasting the surface of the stock before re-coating.

Many of the late '80's - mid '90's guns had the matte blue bolts.

Here's one from '93 with the matte bolt in 270 with a cerrokoted stock by Karl; he also skeletonized the bolt.

MM

[Linked Image]
My buddies 280 KS was built in 1986 and in his own words it came with a blue green color stock.

Not to question you but it could actually be a Brown.

By date, it absolutely could. And I suppose it could have been repainted - by McMillan. But I doubt it. The Browns have a different paint and texture. It is super subtle. I call it the "elephant hide" texture. This one's a McMillan paint job...
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Authentic KS? - 12/06/16
SS Rem KS 280
Weighs 6lbs 9oz
Can someone tell me the year it was made and what stock is on it?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Marty,
Your killin me posted pictures of that one - I missed buying it by about 5 minutes:)

Anyway, based on the barrel code "BS" it should be a January 1998 model and will likely have the McMillan stock. If you ever get tired of that one I'll gladly take it off your hands!!
Frank,
As you can see, I haven't even scoped and shot it yet! It's got a harder rubber pad marked Remington, I'm thinking a KS Edge stock could lighten it up by maybe 1/2 lb...
Marty,
It's a Mcmillan, and an edge will only lighten it by about 4 oz. If you weigh that stock, it should be between 26 and 28 oz. An edge in this pattern only gets you to 24 oz...
Marty,
It's a Mcmillan, and an edge will only lighten it by about 4 oz. If you weigh that stock, it should be between 26 and 28 oz. An edge in this pattern only gets you to 24 oz...

Yup, totally agree. I actually ordered a new KS stock about 4 years ago and it was much heavier than my KS stock. Don't mess with that rifle, its perfect as is. You need to take that one to Wyoming, its just made to hunt mule deer!!
Maybe I'll take it to Wyoming and hunt antelope next year...
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Authentic KS? - 12/07/16
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Maybe I'll take it to Wyoming and hunt antelope next year...

I am not sure if it has a flat enough trajectory whistle. I had one just like in same cartridge and wish I had it back.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Authentic KS? - 12/07/16
Marty,
Your killin me posted pictures of that one - I missed buying it by about 5 minutes:)

Anyway, based on the barrel code "BS" it should be a January 1998 model and will likely have the McMillan stock. If you ever get tired of that one I'll gladly take it off your hands!!

Frank,

How did you decipher January 1998 from the barrel code "BS"?

Enlighten me.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Authentic KS? - 12/07/16
I have chart that I copied off the internet, can't recall where I found it but is has the code for the letter stamp on the barrel.

The first letter is the "month" and the 2nd is the "year" per the chart. Month codes go "B" to "X", with "B" being January.

The next letter, the "S" is the year code, with "S" being 1998. If this is wrong I'm sure someone will correct me but pretty sure its correct based on other rifles I've used this on.

If you look at the stamp on mine that I posted, its marked "CL" which puts it as a April 1991 gun, I bought it in September 1992.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Authentic KS? - 12/07/16
Remington Dates of Manufacture.

Rem Dates of Mfg.

If you decide to restock that rifle, I'll be glad to take the original off your hands...........it's my all-time favorite design.

MM
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Authentic KS? - 12/07/16
MM,
Thanks, I think I will keep it original!
Posted By: Brad Re: Authentic KS? - 12/07/16
The original KS stocks were, I believe, made by Brown Precision. Then I'm fairly certain McMillan picked up production. I do know for certain the gray color was called "Remington Gray" and was never offered outside of the Rem production guns. I know this because I talked to Mark Brown about it. Too bad, it's the best "Gray" stock paint I've ever seen, and my all-time favorite color.
Posted By: deflave Re: Authentic KS? - 12/07/16
When it comes to the KS Remington you really never know what you're getting because some Browns were left over during the McMillan era and the SN doesn't always coincide with what somebody grabbed and used.

Both McMillan and Remington have told me this over the phone. The only way to really know is to yank the BA and take a gander. If you don't know what you're looking for you can e-mail pics to McMillan and they will tell you.

Travis
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Authentic KS? - 12/08/16
They were both good; I like the McM a little better though.

I've never seen a KS not shoot well.

MM
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Authentic KS? - 03/17/17
StudDuck,
Did you buy the .270?
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Authentic KS? - 03/17/17
A catalog page from the Remington Custom shop. My KS was a 7mm Remington with a Brown stock that I regretfully sent down the road because I had turned sour on belted cases. That rifle exceeded my expectations...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rembo Re: Authentic KS? - 03/17/17
I've owned a KS and handled a couple others.
I've seen guys who aren't up to speed on them confuse the late 80's ADL/FS with a KS. This is an ADL/FS, NOT a KS. Sometimes hard to ID in a pic but the barrel contour and the stamping give it away.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Authentic KS? - 03/30/17
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
StudDuck,
Did you buy the .270?

No, I passed on it.
Posted By: Stoneybroke Re: Authentic KS? - 04/01/17
I have a 1990 model KS in .270. I was curious about the matte styke metal finish. I emailed Remington and they told me the finish was NOT matte blue. The rifle was parkerized and that finish is still flawless. I did install a Jewell trigger, just because.
Posted By: rembo Re: Authentic KS? - 04/05/17
Speaking of KS's I picked one up a few days ago. Doesn't look like it's seen much action.
1990 vintage in 338 Win Mag with Vari-X IIc 3-9X.
Weighs 7lbs 10 oz as pictured. Talley LW's will drop a couple ounces and I should drop the scope a bit anyway. A 7-1/2 lb 338 Win should be lively. I've been canvassing my group of shooting buddies for a volunteer..:-)
It looks good next to my Brown Prec stocked 1988 ADL/FS 7 Mag.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: RickF Re: Authentic KS? - 04/05/17
That's a nice pair!!
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Authentic KS? - 04/05/17
Nice find smile I hope to find a lefty KS Mountain rifle one day when I have some extra cash...............
© 24hourcampfire