Home
Been looking for another rifle in a 300 wsm. Kinda looking at the Remington SPS stainless. I know Remington had some quality control issues a couple years ago, just wondering if things have gotten better.
I recently pourchased a new Rem 700 Mountain SS and it had several QC problems. Last 3/4 inch of the barrel was very rough, bolt lift was very stiff, there was a ding in the crown, and the BC stock was crooked.

I called Remington and they said 4 month turn around on repairs. I sold the gun locally at a loss to someone who just wanted the action. I will not gamble with a new Remington ever again.
Here's what the barrel looked like:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This is some of the things I was wondering about. The SPS I can save about $300.00 but it may not be worth it.
Just check it out before buying it or transferring it if you have it shipped. For the money, I prefer Ruger. I've bought 2 Hawkeyes and a Scout this year and all 3 have been perfect.
Originally Posted by BiggerStick47
Just check it out before buying it or transferring it if you have it shipped. For the money, I prefer Ruger. I've bought 2 Hawkeyes and a Scout this year and all 3 have been perfect.

Thanks!
I'd not hesitate to buy an SPS.

Travis
Have one in 308 and love it , no complaints.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How did it shoot?
Originally Posted by bellydeep

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How did it shoot?

Don't know, don't care.
I'd happily run an SPS.
Originally Posted by bellydeep

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How did it shoot?

Don't know, don't care.

Well that's brilliant.

Dave
I have an SPS 223 and it is a fantastic gun. It shoots everything I have fed it well.
No problems with a 257WB SPS here.
Just bought a 243, shoots great with 105 Hornady.
I have Mauser, Winchester, Marlin, Steyr, Ruger, ect... but my most trusted rifle is a Remington M700 SPS, in .375 RUM. barrel cut to 22" and poked into a B&C with some bottom metal I had in the drawer.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have an SPS 223 and it is a fantastic gun. It shoots everything I have fed it well.

I have bought four of those for builds, used the factory barrel on two of them. Had no issues....one in particular is very possibly the most accurate rifle I own....223AI

[Linked Image]

Swapped out the triggers on them all for the old Walker style trigger cause the Xmark series are schitt.
I have one in 7 mag and it has been a good rifle. It is real rough compared to earlier Remingtons, but it shoots 160 Partitions 1/2 moa or less. I put a B&C stock on it, but it did just fine with the factory, also.

I would definitely look it over good before buying, as Remington quality control is crap anymore.
Thanks for the input!!
Maybe not recent enough but I bought a SPS stainless 7MM-08 3 years ago and its been a great little rifle. I did have the barrel cut down to 22.5" just because. No issues at all and shoots most everything decent to great.
I recently bought an SPS Varmint in .308 and it is good, but headspace was a bit on the generous side. Even with moderate loads, there was an ejector wipe mark after firing. I now take brass to .338 and back down to make a false shoulder and get zero headspace. I also don't care for the molded plastic stock, and got a laminated wood stock which I acraglas bedded.
Ive bought 5 different stainless SPS in last 10 years. While they are not fit and finished like older 700's were I have had no problems out of them.

I replace all mines triggers with Timneys from the get go. Its a well spent $100 upgrade.

If the caliber you are wanting has been in production for a while look around for a older 700. Ive bought several, and seen several 30-06, 270, 7mag for $325-400.

Originally Posted by Rmart30

If the caliber you are wanting has been in production for a while look around for a older 700. Ive bought several, and seen several 30-06, 270, 7mag for $325-400.

Thanks for more input. The gun I'm looking at will be a 300 wsm more than likely.

Bought a Scout (.308) and three Hawkeyes (.308, .280 and .30-06) in the last year and a half or so and, like yours, all were perfect. Really nice wood on the .308 and .30-06 Hawkeyes (the Scout was laminate, the .30-06 was synthetic).
Not sps but no issues with the ADL 243 i bought recently. Its a great shooter
Bone stock SPS Tactical AAC-SD - complete with factory trigger (200 yards):
[Linked Image]
Bought a SPS 308 last year to replace a Hawkeye that was crap, only bad Ruger I've ever owned.

It shot good with the factory tube at 24" and I had 3" removed from it. It shoots great now. I've bought 2 700s and 7 over the last year or so and they have all been very good.
Bought this one in 243 and cut 2" off the barrel. Bedded in a Boyds laminated stock. It's awesome.
[Linked Image]

This one in 260 with 8 twist when they first came out. Cerekote and a McSwirly. Hunt with it more than any other rifle in the safe.
[Linked Image]

This one is a Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08. As from the factory with some Faux Ti treatments. Love it. Accurate, fairly light, very accurate and dependable. Can't put the 260 down long enough to give it a fair chance.
[Linked Image]
Great trio of rifles you have there, I really like the look of 243 in particular and am a big 260 Rem fan.......
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Great trio of rifles you have there, I really like the look of 243 in particular and am a big 260 Rem fan.......

Thanks. Love the 260. I have a few. Hard for me to admit that it does everything a 270 Win does in a short action... But it does.
Bought one (30-06) for my son 5 years ago or so. I did put a Timney trigger in it. No complaints. Shoots very well, inch or so, with many different types of factory ammo and I get the same sort of results in the original tupperware stock or in the wood CDL stock I bought for it.
© 24hourcampfire