Home
Posted By: jmo1754 Light Rifles - 12/07/16
I am looking to purchase a rifle that completely done up is 7 Lbs caliber not to specific. Would like to keep it a common caliber.

Scope
rifle
sling

Whitetail, Elk, Coyotes

Would the Tikka do it?
Posted By: utah708 Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
There are several threads on light rifles that you should spend some time reading-lots of ideas in them. I don't think a Tikka will come in sub-7#, all up, but of course the weight of the scope is a huge variable.

For the range of uses you describe, it would be hard to beat the .270 Win.
Posted By: jmo1754 Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
I am considering the 270, I am already having 2 built on 700 action but I don't think a stock action will come in at the 7 lb mark even with an edge stock
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
Go short action, 308,or 7mm-08.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
Originally Posted by jmo1754
I am considering the 270, I am already having 2 built on 700 action but I don't think a stock action will come in at the 7 lb mark even with an edge stock

Had mine built in the mid 80's. M700 custom syn stock 30-06 no metal work other than matte blueing. With Leupold 2-7 Compact and sling 7lb 2oz. Of course today you don't have to go custom and can buy lots of them off the rack.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: longshot3 Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Go short action, 308,or 7mm-08.

^^^This^^^
Hard to beat a light 7mm-08!
Posted By: Pittu Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
I just picked up a Savage model 16 Lightweight hunter in 6.5CM. With a 3-9x33 UL Leupold and talley lightweights it weighs 6.5 lbs. Is it a Kimber? Definately not, but it was sub $600 instead of $1100....
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
Really depends on what you mean all up ready to hunt. My sub 5 pound .308 is almost 7 pounds by the time you have rings, scope, scope covers, sling, and 12 rounds of ammo. Well 6 pounds 9 oz I guess.
Posted By: bh444 Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
look no further,Sako 85 Finnlight 308 Win,VX3 2.5-8X38,Conetrol bases and rings.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1minute Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
Marlin Guide Gun right at 7 lbs
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
The Tikka is the simplest, cheapest way to a 7 lb rifle. Stick with a lighter weight scope and mounts and 7 lbs isn't hard.

There are other routes, but this is the easiest.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
I am looking to purchase a rifle that completely done up is 7 Lbs caliber not to specific. Would like to keep it a common caliber.

Scope
rifle
sling

Whitetail, Elk, Coyotes

Would the Tikka do it?

Yes, Tikka T3 SL. I have one in 7 mag.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16

It will with a mountain rifle barrel contour & an Edge Compact Classic with a 1/2" pad.............it will weigh less than 22 oz.

Or simply find an original version Rem 700 Ti; done deal with a 2.5x8 or a 2x7 Leupold or even a straight 6x or 4x.

MM
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

It will with a mountain rifle barrel contour & an Edge Compact Classic with a 1/2" pad.............it will weigh less than 22 oz.

Or simply find an original version Rem 700 Ti; done deal with a 2.5x8 or a 2x7 Leupold or even a straight 6x or 4x.

MM

What Montana Man said.

I have a Remington 700 KS Mountain Rifle in 300 Win Mag. it has a thicker barrel contour than a standard mountain rifle or a standard BDL. The Barreled action with the magazine follower weighs in at 5.32 pounds. As Montana Man said, the Hunters Edge will weigh 22-24 oz. The Brown Precision Kevlar stock on my KS weighs in at 18.05 oz. :-)
Posted By: Bullman57 Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
I have a Remington Model Seven AWR 7mm-08 with a Leupold VX2 3x9x33 and Tally lows that tips the scales at 6lbs 11oz complete
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
My Kimber Ascent in .270 Win clocks in just under 6 lbs with a Leupold 6x36 scope and Talley LW rings. 6lbs, 8oz "ready to hunt" with an Uncle Mikes adjustable sling and 5 cartridges. OTOH, have never bothered with a sling since it carried in the hand quite nicely the two times I fielded it here in KY.

Have never owned a Kimber Montana. However, should weigh only a few ounces more, and will leave more green in your wallet than the Ascent. Most folks on the 'Fire seem to speak very favorably of the Kimber Montana's.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
jmo1754,

Since I didn't read through your thread I don't know if I will dupicate others' opinion.

A Savage 16 I bought weighs 5.6 ounces. The 1" wide sling* that came from the fabric store is attached to plastic Outdoor Connection's Brutes sling swivels. The whole thing comes in at 1 ounce! The Talley rings come in at 2.5 ounces. So we have a rifle that weighs 5.81 pounds without a scope. This give you about 1.2 pounds for your scope to come in at 7 pounds. Hastings has Micro-cell recoil pads that are lighter than anything else on the market. 1/2" at 1.9 ounces and a 1.26" at 2.9 ounces. Others on the market are about 6 ounces to 8 ounces for a 1" pad.

*The sling is designed to hold the rifle across my back when I am dragging the deer. My wife sewed the swivels on the sling material. A fun side to the plastic swivels is they do not squeak.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
I just weighed my Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmore WITH Leupold

mount and rings and 2.5x8 scope, rubberized sling, scope

covers, webbed paint job + clear coat and four rounds of

Federal 140 gr Fusion - in other words, hunt ready....and it

goes 7 pounds 2 oz.

It's about as practical a hunting rifle as can be made.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
Tikka Superlite
Kimber Hunter
Kimber Montana

Those would be where I'd be looking in new rifles.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
Weatherby MK V Ultra Lightweight 5 3/4 lbs bare
for my 30-06
Talley light weights
Leupold 6x42,6x36 or 2.5-8x36 about 11 oz
Posted By: EdM Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
My 270 Montana goes 1 oz over 6# with Talley's, a 6x36 Leupold, aluminum trigger guard and a LW KEBCO recoil pad.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Light Rifles - 12/07/16
jmo1754,

The Tikka T3 Super Lite .260 Remington I hunted with quite a bit this fall weighs 6 pounds 14 ounces with a 6x38 Weaver (a 10-ounce scope), a Mountain Sling and the factory rings.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Light Rifles - 12/08/16
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Tikka Superlite
Kimber Hunter
Kimber Montana

There you go he pretty much nailed it.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Light Rifles - 12/08/16
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Tikka Superlite
Kimber Hunter
Kimber Montana

There you go he pretty much nailed it.

I've got to agree with that as well.
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: Light Rifles - 12/08/16
Other options that will get you close to 7 lbs would be a Ruger American or Remington Model 7 in an Edge or Brown stock. Obviously the Ruger gets you there the cheaper way. I'd look at 7mm-08 or 308 for those and stick to Talleys with a 10-12 oz scope.

Hard to argue with the Tikka or Montana route either.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Light Rifles - 12/08/16
The Nosler Patriot is a great choice as well.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Light Rifles - 12/08/16
I handled a Colt Light Rifle today, first one I have seen in awhile.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Light Rifles - 12/08/16
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The Nosler Patriot is a great choice as well.

How light is it?

MM
Posted By: Dasher Re: Light Rifles - 12/08/16
Here's a few T3X we just finished. each just over 7 lbs with scopes.

2 of them are 223 AIs
22-250
243 AI

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: STS45 Re: Light Rifles - 12/08/16
Those Tikka's look great what all did you do to them?
Posted By: Dasher Re: Light Rifles - 12/08/16
We removed barrels from 3 of them and turned a couple of threads off then rechambered. Threaded muzzles, recrowned, resprung triggers, new bolt handles and knobs, floated barrels, cerakoted BA's, rings and stocks. Then we mounted the rings and lapped them. Also added thread protectors. Mounted scopes and broke them in. Ready for coyotes. wink
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Light Rifles - 12/09/16

Scope
rifle
sling

Whitetail, Elk, Coyotes

Would the Tikka do it?

This one should be pretty close:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/Sako_A7_Stainless_30-06_GA_Pre#UNREAD

Posted By: skeen Re: Light Rifles - 12/10/16
This will do it, and a great buy on sale -4lbs. 13 ozs. scope it with whatever you want.

http://www.eurooptic.com/kimber-adirondack-7mm-08-rem-3000767.aspx
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Light Rifles - 12/10/16

Plenty of good answers contained in this thread. The biiger question for the OP is "What's your budget?"
Posted By: longbarrel Re: Light Rifles - 12/10/16
Agreed, the budget matters. . .NULA is imo the "gold standard" if the budget allows.
Posted By: hanco Re: Light Rifles - 12/11/16
I like a rifle and scope around 10 lbs. I like to feel like I'm carring something.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: Light Rifles - 12/11/16
Originally Posted by hanco
I like a rifle and scope around 10 lbs. I like to feel like I'm carring something.

When backpacking in 20+ miles one way on a fall sheep I feel like I am carrying plenty already and don't need a 10 pound rifle to make me feel that way. But I am just a pansy wink
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Light Rifles - 12/11/16
I have two that meet your criteria. Both are on Remington 600 actions but you could use a model 7 or 700 ADL.

7mm-08 has a Douglas #1 with a 1" shank cut to 21". It is a McM EDGE Remington mountain rifle stock. Talley lightweights and a Leupold 2.5-8 scope. It weighs in under 6 pounds.

338Fed has a Douglas #2 with same shank and length above. It has a Mcswirly also in a mountain rifle contour and matching scope and mounts above. It is just under 7 pounds.
Posted By: tkinak Re: Light Rifles - 12/11/16
1st gen Remington Mountain guide 308 I turned into a faux ti runs 6 lb 10 oz with a Leupold 2.5-8, Talleys, aluma trigger guard and fluted bolt. My Forbes runs 6lb 1 oz same scope, the stock feels much better but it's not all stainless.
Posted By: RBO Re: Light Rifles - 12/11/16
The short answer would be yes, a Tikka superlite would get you there, but so would several others. I had a superlite before, I like my Kimber, my Forbes, and my Nula better because they balance better and I am able to shoot more accurately freehand with them than I could with my Tikka. On the bench they all shoot good.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Light Rifles - 12/11/16
Originally Posted by hanco

laugh At 8-10,000 feet & a 10 mile hike, you'll feel it alright.

MM
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Light Rifles - 12/11/16
I have a t3 lite, factory rings (oh! the horror) 3x9 3200 elite. No idea of weight. It is a little light for me, I struggle to shoot it in the field sometimes. A Rem 660 308, Brown stock, VX 2 3x9 in Talley lightweights, is perfect. Wish I could figure the deal with that rifle. It is not real accurate, but in real use, it works better for me than anything else I have tried. Probably fit and balance.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Light Rifles - 12/11/16
The most important part of an ultra light rifle is the trigger.
Posted By: RBO Re: Light Rifles - 12/11/16
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I have a t3 lite, factory rings (oh! the horror) 3x9 3200 elite. No idea of weight. It is a little light for me, I struggle to shoot it in the field sometimes. A Rem 660 308, Brown stock, VX 2 3x9 in Talley lightweights, is perfect. Wish I could figure the deal with that rifle. It is not real accurate, but in real use, it works better for me than anything else I have tried. Probably fit and balance.

I think it's the balance of your Tikka, not the mass weight that is what's preventing you from being as accurate in the field.
Posted By: livefastjohnny Re: Light Rifles - 12/11/16
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
it works better for me than anything else I have tried. Probably fit and balance.

I think we could apply this to half the threads on this forum. All the BC and velocity and terminal performance in the world will not help you if the gun is uncomfortable to shoot.
© 24hourcampfire