Home
Posted By: sandpit Buying my daughter a rifle. - 12/20/16
Hay guys,my oldest daughter has decided she wants to go hunting with me.im looking to get her a 7-08.ive looked at the Tikka T3lite,wetherby compact vanguard or a savage model 11.shes kinda short so I been checking all the lite weights out,she's a dang good shot but likes my 7x57. Im really liking the tikka.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Buying my daughter a rifle. - 12/20/16
Since she's short make sure the length of pull (LOP) of the stock is right for her.
How old is she? How tall is she?

A Tikka Superlight in an Edge would make her a fine rifle,but only at her LOP. That will be tricky if she is young and has a lot of growing left.

If she is young I would just cut down the stock it comes with to fit her. You will likely have to fit a solid piece back into the butt and epoxy it in to put a pad back on.
Hate to say this, check the rifle Savage builds with women in mind. It's not just short and light, I think the stock is shaped to be more female friendly. My 13 year old daughter shoots a Model 7 with a youth stock a campfire member kindly gifted us. She really likes it.
I'm no big Savage fan, but their Lady Hunter fits a lot of women (and kids) like a glove. I can honestly say they come closer to getting it right for women than any other maker out there.

Bunches of women have longer necks than men. I see ladies struggle daily when picking up rifles with low combs. They just really can't position their heads comfortably behind the scope.

The Lady Hunter has a higher comb than most other compact rifles. It really works well for kids too. Their facial features are smaller and they need the extra comb height to keep their cheek on the stock when looking through the scope.

Just some thoughts to consider. Comfort is everything. Especially when speaking of occasional and beginning shooters.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Buying my daughter a rifle. - 12/20/16
NICE comb on this BUT LOP is 14.5".

http://www.sauer.de/us/products/bolt-action-rifles/sauer-100/sauer-100-classic-xt/features.html
Tikka 7mm-08 your on the right track. 25.06 in a Tikka will do well also.
Let her have your 7x57 and you buy a rifle. wink
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Let her have your 7x57 and you buy a rifle. wink

Best advice so far. The 7x57 is also a great girls rifle.... wink
Worry first about the rifle fit...............

Then consider the cartridge.................

There are more cartridges out there that will hunt then there are rifles that properly fit an individual.

F
Like the guys say, let her pick the one that fits best. If she has to scrunch into the comb, puts the butt on her bicept, or has, ahem, chest/buttstock interference, she won't shoot well and won't like the gun.
Been there with my 5'3", 105 lb, 31 YO bundle of joy. She decided she liked trap when 10-ish. Her shotgun of choice, after shooting several Beretta and Browning "ladies" target guns with adjustable combs and butts, is an old 1100 with a plastic "Youth" stock and a stick on foam cheek pad. All that money I spent on guns for her over the years and she comes back to the first one I cobbled up for her at age 10 for maybe $250.
Luckily she isn't into hunting and an AK-47 is all she wants rifle wise.
The point being, we can't pick what fits them (ladies of all ages) despite our male need to fix things.
Lots of cartridges will fill the bill of low recoil and plenty enough whack for bucks.
Of those listed, the Weatherby Vanguard Compact, and run it with a stock pack.

If it were me, just get her the Remington 700 Youth and be done with it.
Another one for consideration would be the Browning Micro. My daughter has been using one for ten years. It is a tack driver and has operated flawlessly in all types of weather.
My neighbor just got a tikka 7-08 for his 8 yr old son and he told me he got 2 stocks, a youth and regular that can be swapped out when he grows. For a smaller framed young lady, the youth stock will probably be good forever.

+1 on the browning micro midas
Posted By: hanco Re: Buying my daughter a rifle. - 12/21/16
Granddaughter has a Savage Axis youth model. It puts bullets damn near through the same hole.
Posted By: Eric_P Re: Buying my daughter a rifle. - 12/21/16
I agree with the advice to worry about fit first. I put together a rifle for my daughter about 5 years ago.

Length of pull is pretty easy; its more challenging being sure they can see through the scope. I have had to go to a high comb stock with very low mounts.

I got my daughter a ruger hawkeye in 7mm-08; bought a boyds prarie hunter, shortened both the butt and fore end.

Seems like there are more rifles now with spacers for length of pull and adjustable combs, that would have saved me quite a bit of work.

Good luck!

Eric
My Mauser fits her to a T,and she shoots it good so I guess she gets it.i might build myself something different,I really want another 6.5 swede on a modern action like an ugly savage or Mauser 98.yup I like the older savage 110s
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/601580551
I think the Tikka's felt recoil with hard pad and stock design would be a big negative for a kid and especially for a girl.

A Ruger American compact would be my choice if I was looking and didn't have anything in the safe that I could just restock or cut down.

Or a Savage Axis youth as Hanco suggested.

Posted By: hanco Re: Buying my daughter a rifle. - 12/22/16
I looked down on Savage until she got one. I have a Hunter -Predator in 6.5 Creed. She has taken that rifle over. I guess I'm gonna have to get another.
Originally Posted by country_20boy
My neighbor just got a tikka 7-08 for his 8 yr old son and he told me he got 2 stocks, a youth and regular that can be swapped out when he grows. For a smaller framed young lady, the youth stock will probably be good forever.

This in spades.

P
Just buy her a .223.

Dave
Posted By: tzone Re: Buying my daughter a rifle. - 12/22/16
I wouldn't rule out the Ruger American Compact.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Another one for consideration would be the Browning Micro. My daughter has been using one for ten years. It is a tack driver and has operated flawlessly in all types of weather.

Got wife one of those almost 20 years ago and it works for her. Shoots great. But as others have said comb height and cheek piece matters. The micro seems to have a little more drop at heel than say a Kimber but a little more would be better along with a cheek piece. I made it more difficult for her by putting "better fitting" Talley lows on it to replace those "obsolete" redfield mediums used in the beginning. She has to kinda scrunch her face around to find the scope. Mounts are just too low for her face. Changing that.
I put my Weatherby Vangaurd (same as Howa) into a Knox Axiom stock with adjustable LOP via a lever and recoil reduction springs. Every dad that has handled it says it's the best thing since sliced bread. Thay can be had for both Howa and R.E.M. 700's the last time I checked. Push the button to adjust the stock and you can go from kid length to adult length pronto. I set up the scope to work for them and deal with it if I'm shooting it.

The barrel is fully floated and the pistol grip is serviceable. The forearm is wide & flat so it irks great off a rest, blind window etc.

Just one more option for you to consider.
I like your neighbors choice of caliber. To me the 7mm/08 is the perfect caliber for a young hunter,or even for an adult, especially if you hand load. You have a variety of bullets of different weights, and powders that the 7/08 likes. I downloaded powder when my grandsons were younger, and making the jump from .22 cal rim fire rifles to center fire. They like shooting my AR's, but know my feelings about 5.56/.224" bullets on deer size game. Yes, I realize that many of you guys have killed deer, and other game with them. Primarily because you use the right bullets, with the correct rate of twist for weight of bullet, and have learned and employ good shot placement. How many youngsters are always going to do that? If you can reduce the variables for younger shooters, and stress the importance and pride in making that one shot kill, you are helping to make a good ethical hunter. Practice, practice, practice, practice, and have them learn their rifle from A-Z. I did this with my son, and it is being used now on my grandsons. Have them help in dressing the animal, and stress what damage a hunting bullet can make on game. If the bullet can do it to a deer, it can do the same thing to a human. Safety, safety, safety as there is a lot of responsibility that goes with the pull of a trigger, and you can never bring that bullet back! A good afternoon to all.

G2

I just ordered a Remington seven in 7-08 and she can take her pick.got a great deal on it and she wants to keep the Mauser I still score
Well she was surprised this morning and so was I.she about freaked out when she saw it.She kinda spoiled me too,I got a vortex viper us 2.5-10 scope.
© 24hourcampfire