Home
Thinking bout ordering one in 30 nosler, never handled one.
Would like to know accuracy results, action smoothness & trigger
Thanks
Looking at the ridgeline series.
Guy on lease has one, very mad
That's what I need to know
I had a Ridgeline chambered in .300 Win...i only tried a couple factory loads but my rifle easily shot both less than MOA, action was very smooth but i didnt like the tiny bolt handle or the 90 degree bolt lift.....The trigger broke like a glass rod and was easily adjustable but it is a Timney so i need not say more........Good luck......Hb
A friend purchased Christian Arms rifle in 300 win mag. I worked up a load for him.

I torqued the action screws as I always do before shooting. As I worked up the load the rifle was shooting well then things began to open up. I checked the action screws and THEY WERE LOOSE! I tightened them again and after 15 or so shots it began to open up again! I checked the action screws LOOSE AGAIN!!!

I called the company. The operator connected me with a guy. I asked him if the rifle was bedded as the screws were loosening. He said yea it is bedded.

I shot it some more and the action screws got loose AGAIN! I called them again and asked for the most knowledgeable technician. I began telling him about the poor accuracy due to the screws coming loose again and again. The first question from him was what are you shooting? I told him handloads. He immediately told me that "using handloads voids the warranty". I laughed at him.

We finally got through that issue and he said IT IS NOT BEDDED. BUT our inletting program has the stock action fit so tight that it isn't necessary. I said I had to repeatedly tighten the action screws. He said the stock must be compressing....he suggested I tighten the screws to 80 in/lbs. That went right off the scale of my torque wrench! I got it as tight as I possibly could and it finally held for several sessions. ( you can bet I checked the tension often as I shot it)

I was quite stunned as to this issue and couldn't understand why they didn't bed the action as part of the cost of this expensive rifle.

I told the owner to use it for his hunt which was only a month away. I also said get it bedded when you hunt is over.

The rifle did shoot and all other features were great. Just the compression of the stock was an issue.
For a supposed ultralight rifle it is huge! The barrel wrapping makes it over-sized even with the ridiculously long barrels they use. It would not be a first choice for me, ever.
The ones I've handled are very nice. They do make shorter barrels in some of the smaller cartridges such as the Creedmoor.
Originally Posted by hanco
Guy on lease has one, very mad

Please translate?
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
For a supposed ultralight rifle it is huge! The barrel wrapping makes it over-sized even with the ridiculously long barrels they use. It would not be a first choice for me, ever.

It might look huge, but it still weights 6.5lbs or less. Not ultralight, but far from heavy.
Yeah and my .300 Win had a 24" barrel.....pretty standard for a Magnum cartridge, not overly long at all, and 6.5lbs aint heavy...My rifle had excellent handling quality, the stock felt great!............Hb
Originally Posted by borden811

It might look huge, but it still weights 6.5lbs or less. Not ultralight, but far from heavy.

That is all great until you try to use it for what it is supposedly designed for, a mountain rifle.

That big old POS would get hung on everything...
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Yeah and my .300 Win had a 24" barrel.....pretty standard for a Magnum cartridge, not overly long at all, and 6.5lbs aint heavy...My rifle had excellent handling quality, the stock felt great!............Hb

Not overly long until you need to get through brush on the climb in.

If you are using it for a flatland rifle it does not have to be that light... if you are using it as a mountain rifle the size will be a serious PITA.

The answer to the question no one should be asking...
Originally Posted by Azshooter
A friend purchased Christian Arms rifle in 300 win mag. I worked up a load for him.

I torqued the action screws as I always do before shooting. As I worked up the load the rifle was shooting well then things began to open up. I checked the action screws and THEY WERE LOOSE! I tightened them again and after 15 or so shots it began to open up again! I checked the action screws LOOSE AGAIN!!!

I called the company. The operator connected me with a guy. I asked him if the rifle was bedded as the screws were loosening. He said yea it is bedded.

I shot it some more and the action screws got loose AGAIN! I called them again and asked for the most knowledgeable technician. I began telling him about the poor accuracy due to the screws coming loose again and again. The first question from him was what are you shooting? I told him handloads. He immediately told me that "using handloads voids the warranty". I laughed at him.

We finally got through that issue and he said IT IS NOT BEDDED. BUT our inletting program has the stock action fit so tight that it isn't necessary. I said I had to repeatedly tighten the action screws. He said the stock must be compressing....he suggested I tighten the screws to 80 in/lbs. That went right off the scale of my torque wrench! I got it as tight as I possibly could and it finally held for several sessions. ( you can bet I checked the tension often as I shot it)

I was quite stunned as to this issue and couldn't understand why they didn't bed the action as part of the cost of this expensive rifle.

I told the owner to use it for his hunt which was only a month away. I also said get it bedded when you hunt is over.

The rifle did shoot and all other features were great. Just the compression of the stock was an issue.

I worked on a co-workers 300 RUM same problem you stated. Add the use of Remington liners for a warped barrel on a gun that expensive is crap and to go to the lilja liner is a even bigger azz pounding. I sure as hell would not pay the price they want for the product they produce.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Not overly long until you need to get through brush on the climb in.

If you are using it for a flatland rifle it does not have to be that light... if you are using it as a mountain rifle the size will be a serious PITA.

The answer to the question no one should be asking...
Sitka, In your opinion what length barrel should a Mtn rifle chambered in .300 Win have?......I cant think of any factory rifles with shorter barrels than 24"......even the ever popular lightweight Montana has a 24" barrel...... ...Hb

That is all great until you try to use it for what it is supposedly designed for, a mountain rifle.

Not true! To tested this idea I took a 28" barrel rifle and installed a 2" brake. Then I used it for several weeks while hunting deer in Western Oregon. Only one time did the barrel catch on anything.
Why the heck would you want a 28" barrel on any hunting rifle? Do you really need that extra few fps?
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Why the heck would you want a 28" barrel on any hunting rifle? Do you really need that extra few fps?

You a touch behind ring man is our resident retard.
I don't know about that. Figured I was wondering what his reasoning was, I mean he may have a valid reason for his uses.
You are a really really nice guy. But it's just fact. Our brother ring man rode the short bus. Licking the windows all the way home.
Haha ok. I'm still interested in why he chooses a 28" barreled rifle as his preferred choice to hunt with.
I just got two Ridgelines in December , one in 7 rem and one in 270 wsm. Both shoot awesome. I loaded the 162 eldx with RL26 and I'm getting 3140 fps in the 7mm and have shot it out to 934 yards. It shot a 6 shot 6 inch group at 934 yrd.
The 270 wsm I shot today for the first time a I tried the 130 classic Hunter with RL17 and it was consistent 3/4 to 1.25" groups at 200 yards.
I really like the Ridgelines and think they are a good bang for your buck!!
Originally Posted by Ringman

Not true! To tested this idea I took a 28" barrel rifle and installed a 2" brake. Then I used it for several weeks while hunting deer in Western Oregon. Only one time did the barrel catch on anything.

Convincing! I am riveted to the edge of mt seat!
While guiding a moon or four ago... I was using a factory 77 in 300WM and had to follow a gutshot black bear into the thick. I had removed the sling and gotten mostly ready, posted the hunter on a knob above to holler if he saw anything (I believe he was napping within seconds of my departure) and started sifting blood droplets.

When I finally found said bear he was very close and decided to come at me. It was really thick when I tried to come around on the bear. Nothing serious happened, but the bear died very, very close...

I have not hunted a close quarters rifle with a 20+ barrel since.
While guiding a moon or four ago... I was using a factory 77 in 300WM and had to follow a gutshot black bear into the thick. I had removed the sling and gotten mostly ready, posted the hunter on a knob above to holler if he saw anything (I believe he was napping within seconds of my departure) and started sifting blood droplets.

When I finally found said bear he was very close and decided to come at me. It was really thick when I tried to come around on the bear. Nothing serious happened, but the bear died very, very close...

I have not hunted a close quarters rifle with a 20+ barrel since.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5090233/1
You can get the Christiansen offerings in 20" barrels on smaller chamberings like the 243, 6.5 Creed, and 308.

The Creed would be a sweet rig for sure.
© 24hourcampfire