Home
Posted By: smallfry The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/23/17
Never owned one. Have hunted with one and been along side it during hunts. I've been putting together a handful of classics and thought I'd add a 7 mag. From my perspective it's got some down range horsepower and the recoil isn't that bad. I'd probably never be the guy that would truly realize it's long range potential but the same could be said about my 300 WM.

I want to hear opinions about this classic. There are always faster magnums but at the expense of the 7 RM virtues.
The 7mag is a great caliber.I've used one for over 20yrs.Load data is a little on the mild side these days,but I have run 140gr bullets 3200fps,150gr bullets 3100fps and 160gr bullets 3000fps.I've shot many deer and hogs with the 7mag and I never felt over gunned or under gunned with it.It's about like the 30-06 of the 7mm's and you cannot go too wrong with that.My favorite bullets to shoot these days are the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip or 160gr Nosler Accubond.
Posted By: joe6555 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/23/17
I'm probably odd man out here. I built a custom 7 mag quite a few years back to be my "do-it-all" gun. It made up into a nice rifle that I had great hopes for. What I found was that the 7 was louder than the .30/06, kicked harder, and used a fair amount more powder to get not that much greater velocity. I ended up selling the 7mm mag, and can't say that I have been handicapped for doing so. It is a good round, just not my cup of tea as much as I wanted it to be.
Depends on what you want to do but I feel that the 7mm-08 is more efficient for most purposes.
I tried the 7mm rem mag. Great cartridge for those long range shots. It really fits the bill in this department. The one I had was exceptionally accurate with damn near every bullet I tried in it. It doted on the 162gr. Hornady btsp, A-max and 160gr. Nosler partitions. Generally running from 3,000-3,050 fps. with those pills. It kicked no harder than my 30-06 rifles and was a pleasure to shoot. It was a stainless classic that I cut the barrel down to 24". The 26" always seemed cumbersome to me...
Originally Posted by smallfry
Never owned one. Have hunted with one and been along side it during hunts. I've been putting together a handful of classics and thought I'd add a 7 mag. From my perspective it's got some down range horsepower and the recoil isn't that bad. I'd probably never be the guy that would truly realize it's long range potential but the same could be said about my 300 WM.

I want to hear opinions about this classic. There are always faster magnums but at the expense of the 7 RM virtues.
....The 7 Rem Mag is without any doubt a classic round, and it is a great round.

However, being 55 years since its intro, it is very (extremely) common. Makes for ho-hum conversation in the field or at the range.
Watcha shootin there? A 7mm Rem Mag. Oh ok, carry on...lol

For the most part, everyone who owns a 7 mag, has a 7 Rem Mag.

It is classic and great, while commonly boring at the same time.

7mm Rem Mag is an outstanding cartridge, I have owned more rifles than I can recall in this classic cartridge, in fact the only cartridge I like better is the .300 Win........Good luck and enjoy!........Hb
Posted By: Otter6 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/24/17
Hands down,the 2 most accurate "out of the box" rifles I've owned were 7 Rem mags. A M700 BDL,and a Tikka T3. Now bear in mind,they didn't do it with all bullet weights. One preferred 150 grain bullets,the other 160 grain. Both shot sub MOA across the board. Out of the box. No tinkering. Neither kicked bad at all. Easy to load for. Our elk camp has taken five bulls in two trips. All with the 7 Rem mag. Every man's belted magnum. Usually the first "magnum" hunters buy. Nuttin wrong with that. Hey I was born in the fall of 62. A lot of good things came out of that year.
My favorite rifle cartridge of all time. It is not even close
Posted By: JMR40 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/24/17
I've had a couple over the years. I can't detect any difference in recoil over 30-06 with similar bullet weights. On paper they look good, but in the real world I can hand load similar bullet weights for my 22" 30-06 at the same speeds that I could actually get from a 24" 7 mag. I found published data for 7 mag loads to be "optimistic".

In similar bullet weights 7mm bullets will have better BC's and that does translate to more energy and slightly less bullet drop even if started at the same speeds. But the advantages weren't great enough for me to justify keeping a 7 mag and a 30-06. And I had too much history with my 30-06's to part with them.
Posted By: jwall Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/24/17
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

Watcha shootin there? A 7mm Rem Mag. Oh ok, carry on...lol

For the most part, everyone who owns a 7 mag, has a 7 Rem Mag.

Yep, much like shooting an 06. The 06 is likely MORE boring than a 7 RM in conversations.

That's NOT to criticize or demean either. I have BOTH.

Jerry
If I was limited to only one big game rifle for NA, it would be at or near the top of the list. Can't go wrong.
Posted By: 28lx Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/24/17

7mm Rem Mag is no doubt a classic like the 30-06 everyone should own at least one. I like them both but I've never owned a 30-06 that could shove a .631 BC bullet at 2970 fps.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/24/17
With modern bullets, like the Nosler Accubond LR, the 7 mag really comes into its own as a long range game getter, IMO. I handloaded some 150 grainers for my son's 7mm, and they get great sub-MOA accuracy and 3200 fps mv. It's the last handload combo this rifle will ever see!
It may be 'old', but still one of the best of the 7mms out there.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/24/17
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Depends on what you want to do but I feel that the 7mm-08 is more efficient for most purposes.

The 7/08 doesn't show very efficient;y when you want to move a 160-162Amax or Accubond at over 3000 fps. When I hear "efficiency" I usually also hear "less performance".

People find it's "similar" to the 30/06 because that's what it was designed to be, only flatter shooter and faster with optimum loads in each.

Loaded properly the 7 Rem Mag will leave the 30/06,270,280.280AI behind. It's among the top 5-10 worldwide BG cartridges,far ahead of most CF pets.

There may be better choices for "deer cartridges" but who cares about deer? The 7 Rem Mag was designed to be an all round big game cartridge,with deer being at the bottom of the list. It's capable of taking any game animal on the continent.

You can't hardly find anything better as a general purpose BG cartridge.
Posted By: hanco Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/24/17
I only have 5 of them, guess I like the 7 mag a little bit. My favorite cartridge for sure.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/24/17
Originally Posted by BobinNH

The 7/08 doesn't show very efficient;y when you want to move a 160-162Amax or Accubond at over 3000 fps. When I hear "efficiency" I usually also hear "less performance".

People find it's "similar" to the 30/06 because that's what it was designed to be, only later shooter wind faster with optimum loads in each.

Loaded properly the 7 Rem Mag will leave the 30/06,270,280.280AI behind. It's among the top 5-10 worldwide BG cartridges,far ahead of most CF pets.

There may be better choices for "deer cartridges" but who cares about deer? The 7 Rem Mag was designed to be al all round gg game cartridge,with deer being at the bottom of the list. It's capable of taking any game animal on the continent.

All of which is the reason it is known as the 7mm Rem Magnificent, at least that's what I have called it since 1978.
Posted By: Bisley Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/24/17
I had one for 10 years or so, pretty good gun. I killed lots of stuff with it. It was a very picky rifle but 154 Hornadys at 2930fps shot well. I sold it and bought a 30-06 and haven't regretted it one bit.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

People find it's "similar" to the 30/06 because that's what it was designed to be, only later shooter wind faster with optimum loads in each.

There may be better choices for "deer cartridges" but who cares about deer? The 7 Rem Mag was designed to be al all round gg game cartridge,with deer being at the bottom of the list. It's capable of taking any game animal on the continent.

All of which is the reason it is known as the 7mm Rem Magnificent, at least that's what I have called it since 1978.

Total agreement.
I own or have owned many different cals/cartridges over the years, even tried the wildcat route for a while, but when it boils down to it for a big game hunting cartridge, the 7RM remains my all time favorite and is commonly what others are judged against. It simply offers an outstanding balance of accuracy, recoil, ballistics, and lethality.

As mentioned, it's a boring cartridge. It's along the lines of the great 30-06 or 270win, just better than either laugh

Posted By: 16bore Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/24/17
Love my M700, but don't tell Dogshooter.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Love my M700, but don't tell Dogshooter.

Why not just get a .270.... it's the same thing... just ask 'bore....
Depending on the bullet, of course.....
Depending on the bullet, of course.....

On a spreadsheet....
At distances most people kill most game there ain't a lick of difference between most cartridges.

P
Don't get him started. A 7mag with 140 Corlokts will smoke a 270 with 140 NAB's. On paper.....

Pharm, keep that stuff under your hat. You're trying to start a riot. Rascal.
Posted By: 30338 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/24/17
For long range shooting/hunting, for me defined as past 500 yards, I really like my fast twisted 7 shooting 195s.
Big 7's are great. I have had 3, Wby Rem and Dakota but generally more "gun" than a guy needs. But then it's about want not need.
Posted By: Starman Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/24/17
7 mag, 280, 7mm/08 I won't knock any of them, but the big 7 offers more versatility
for those that require it.

reduced load of 51gn with 175gn gives 2500mv for youths,
or ramp it up to full potential for those who shoot it well...

The 7mmRM in the safe was my late wife's favorite big game rifle.. She killed everything from antelope through moose with it..
I used it on a bunch of game before she took it over.. Great round and a special rifle for me.. I usually take something each fall with it just because.. I like the .30's a tad better.. The one thing I think handicaps the big 7 is often it is made with a short magazine box and a long throat.. So the bullet can never be seated out far enough to be a top performer.. My 7 is on a 700 and works like a charm..
Posted By: smallfry Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/24/17
Thanks guys. I haven't owned a 7mm Rem Mag because of what I own above and below the scale. It is true a 270 Win can do 95% of the tasks a 7mag can do for 95% of users but the 270 isn't a 7mm mag clearly. Honestly I pit it up more to the 300 WM as a world class cartridge because categorically I'd be shooting the same game and both are very capable cartridges. One thing is for sure though the 7mm recoils less.
Posted By: 300stw Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/25/17
an 8lb 7mag shooting a 160 accubond around 3100fps, is an easy to carry rifle that really kills about as far away as anyone needs to shoot,

i have been thru about every cartridge from the 243 up to the 375's for a dedicated all around prairie dog to moose rifle i havent shot anything that was significantly better,,,

and i have gotten rid of a lot of rifles and cartridges to load for, makes life simpler with less choices,,,
Posted By: hanco Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/25/17
I have sold some myself, still have too many. I just like rifles. Pistols and shotguns are OK, but I have always liked a high powered rifle. I like the idea of hitting something way out there. I have bought 2 or 3 for the last 40 years. Sako L-61's Kleinguenthers, Pre-64 model 70's and 700's are my favorites. Never had a Ruger, I have a couple Savage 6.5 Creedmoors, I'm impressed how accurate they are. A fellow just can't have too many. It helps to have a wife that likes rifles also. This thread is making me want to buy another. I have a journal to keep up with round counts, loads for each, when the last time I checked scope to see if it's on, etc
My opinion of the 7mm RM is biased by the fact that my first centerfire was a 7mm RM, back in '82. It remained my only big game bolt rifle for 20+ years and my last elk was taken with one in 2015.

During that time my 7mm Rm has been used for light varminting (great target practice), antelope, deer and elk. The 7mm RM can shoot flatter and deliver more down-range energy and velocity than a .30-06 with similar recoil. (Actual recoil can be more or less depending on the loads compared.)

Although I now have four .30-06 rifles in my safe, along with a variety of of rifles chambered for larger and smaller cartridges, the last to go will be the 7mm RM.
Posted By: STS45 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
Just curious, on most factory rifles are you able to load the 7mm to take advantage of some of the newer bullets like the 168 grain Berger VLD or the 175 grain Hornady 175 ELD-X? Or are most of the mag boxes a little short?

My first big game rifle was a stainless Ruger paddle stock 7mm mag and I loved it. I thought it was the hammer of Thor and used it and only it for years and years, from 1996 to 2010ish. Then I found internet forums and realized how wrong I was and that I needed this that or another and sold it. Seven years later I'm realizing I should have just stayed with the 7mm and one rifle and been done with it. I'd have a ton of cash and about 5,000 hours of wasted internet time back.
Posted By: kingston Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
This thread's like role call.
Posted By: keith Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
Remington 700's pillar bedded in a solid stock will amaze you in how accurate they are in the 7 Mag. This is a very, very inherently accurate cartridge.

A custom with a match chamber in it with a 28" barrel will astound most in accuracy and speed.
Posted By: 16bore Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
Originally Posted by STS45
Just curious, on most factory rifles are you able to load the 7mm to take advantage of some of the newer bullets like the 168 grain Berger VLD or the 175 grain Hornady 175 ELD-X? Or are most of the mag boxes a little short?

My first big game rifle was a stainless Ruger paddle stock 7mm mag and I loved it. I thought it was the hammer of Thor and used it and only it for years and years, from 1996 to 2010ish. Then I found internet forums and realized how wrong I was and that I needed this that or another and sold it. Seven years later I'm realizing I should have just stayed with the 7mm and one rifle and been done with it. I'd have a ton of cash and about 5,000 hours of wasted internet time back.

Remmies are right, at least with 162's and 180 Scenars. Kiss with plenty of room.
And interesting, oddly, mine shoots 162 Amax, 120 TSX, and 140 Corlokts the same POI/POA at 100 yds.

Yeah, I said Corlokts.

What is it going to accomplish that your 300 WM can't?

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: ingwe Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
My experience with the 7 Rem Mag. must be unique. I have yet to meet a truly experienced shooter who uses one. ( I KNOW they MUST be out there, because the cartridge has real merit..) but every single solitary 7 Rem Mag shooter I ever met bought one because Uncle Charlie said it will blow things down of its own volition, and kill quicker than any other cartridge...
End results are two fold. 1) It doesn't get used much, cause it has these magical powers, and 2) Never, EVER, have I seen it used to good effect, the shooter is ordinarily scared of it, and its recoil.
I literally wince when someone says they brought a "7mmMag"....

Carry on... grin
Posted By: RinB Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
The big four big game cartridges: 270 W, 7 RM, 30-06, 300 W.
Each is slightly better for some uses but the 7 RM covers the territory occupied by the other three.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
Originally Posted by ingwe
My experience with the 7 Rem Mag. must be unique. I have yet to meet a truly experienced shooter who uses one. ( I KNOW they MUST be out there, because the cartridge has real merit..) but every single solitary 7 Rem Mag shooter I ever met bought one because Uncle Charlie said it will blow things down of its own volition, and kill quicker than any other cartridge...
End results are two fold. 1) It doesn't get used much, cause it has these magical powers, and 2) Never, EVER, have I seen it used to good effect, the shooter is ordinarily scared of it, and its recoil.

Carry on... grin

And that would be 'cause the "truly experienced shooters", all use .270's!!!!
Here is my take on the 7 Mag. I've got 2 friends at work who hunt with it. One is just a hunter he uses factory ammo, I forget which kind. He's killed just about everything in Colorado with, several were long distance @ 300 yards. They were bighorn sheep & mtn goat. My other friend is kind of a gun loony. He enjoys working on guns, making stocks and reloading. He reloads for his 7 Mag. I think uses both Sierra and Speer bullets. He's killed deer, elk, black bear with his reloads just fine. Both of them have Remington 700's. I've hunted with both and never felt that my 30/06 was at a disadvantage.

FYI---both bought their boys 30/06's.
Posted By: Tanner Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
With the right bullet they work okay- mine made some meat this season.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Stunt shooter....
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Originally Posted by ingwe

Carry on... grin

...and wear leopard print skivvies.

There ain't nothing like experience. I'll take it over serious, any day.

Posted By: HitnRun Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
The 7mm Mag is easily the most over rated cartridge available. Doing nothing more than other cartridges had been doing for decades. 50 years later it is still a favorite that performs adequately.
Posted By: jwall Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17

And you would be wrong to say, "ALL".

There are several here on the 'fire' that are 'truly experienced shooters" and USE the 7 RM.

Jerry
Originally Posted by HitnRun
The 7mm Mag is easily the most over rated cartridge available. Doing nothing more than other cartridges had been doing for decades. 50 years later it is still a favorite that performs adequately.

Damn, what an ironic signature line you've got... laugh

Tanner
Those poor children. Someone should call DSS and report them for BC neglect. Really. The parents of today depriving children the right to be like all the other normal kids. What the hell?

I like my particular rig more than the actual chambering. 270, 30-06, 7RM whatever. Reckon that's dog bait, I'm sure I'm wrong.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
Do the numbers a 7 can't hang with a 6.5 anymore. 7mms are 2015......it's over!
Originally Posted by jwall

And you would be wrong to say, "ALL".

There are several here on the 'fire' that are 'truly experienced shooters" and USE the 7 RM.

Jerry

I'm starting to wonder if this thread shouldn't be merged with Jim's "Serious Hunter" thread.
Anybody mention yet that the 7mm will shoot flat to about 200 and start to rise a bit?

26" bbls are the minimum, and for gods sake be careful in thick brush. She'll put a big flame about 10 feet out the barrel and catch the woods on fire

It's all about energy boys.......

Energy and knock down. Don't forget the knock down power
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Energy and knock down. Don't forget the knock down power

I'm sure 'bore can make you a spread sheet so you can compare all that stuff.
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

Be careful, there are still a couple people on the campfire with a little more experience than you. Your success can't be denied, but other's success can't be ignored.

Tanner

Be careful, there are still a couple people on the campfire with a little more experience than you. Your success can't be denied, but other's success can't be ignored.

I'm sure you know my post was in jest... I've got no emotional attachment to any cartridge in particular but I've gotten pretty fond of how my 7 Rem has performed on a handful of animals lately. I feel pretty comfy with that rifle.

Tanner
It starts to rise a bit? As in defy gravity? That's some serious magic. Doggie is mad because I can spell spreadsheet. The only reason I have a 7 Magic Magnum is so I can appreciate a 270. Or 30-06, or 7-08, or (fill in the blank).

Is this the part where I have to give 20% of my paycheck to Dog because 1/2 MOA of drift?
Posted By: Tejano Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
The seven RM has been a lucky cartridge rifle combo for me. Twice it was the only centerfire I owned. I have shot the longest strings of one shot kills with the 7RM more than any other cartridge. Several of 20+ straight and one over 30 straight. I don't even drink 7 and 7 and it is still a favorite.

Some of the glitter has worn off for sure but if I was reduced to one rifle for all non dangerous game again I would be plenty happy if it was the 7RM.

laugh laugh laugh laugh

Thanks for the chuckle !!

Jerry

Is this the part where I have to give 20% of my paycheck to Dog because 1/2 MOA of drift?

Nope.... you can keep that $12....
It's $5 you stupid phuqq.

Tanner

I'm sure you know my post was in jest... I've got no emotional attachment to any cartridge in particular but I've gotten pretty fond of how my 7 Rem has performed on a handful of animals lately. I feel pretty comfy with that rifle.

Tanner

LW's look like a go with the SWFA, or are you thinking otherwise?

Posted By: BobinNH Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You guys better learn to listen to Tanner.

Tanner

Tanner

LW's look like a go with the SWFA, or are you thinking otherwise?

Those are Lows and they work good for me, I like keeping it down low to the comb.

Tanner
You certainly get all the spacing.
How about a 280AI?.......
It's the same as a 270, depending if the bullet is 20% of my paycheck, ask Dogshitter.
Posted By: irfubar Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
Tanner,
Nice rig. How are you liking that gamescout?

I ordered one for my 260 with the edge fill.
Total rig weight should be around 7lbs. Thinkin light weight long range mountain rifle.
It's the same as a 270, depending if the bullet is 20% of my paycheck, ask Dogshitter.

Less diameter.... Less mass... and Less BC....

Is the same as Greater diameter.... Greater mass.... and Greater BC....

Less of everything is the same as more of everything....

Depending on if the spreadsheet is correct.... ask 16whore....
Back in 1962,the 7 Rem Mag squished the 264 Win Mag, the 280 Remington (the 280AI was around but no one paid any attention),and who knows what else. smile Even my favorite 7mm Mashburn never saw the light of day because of it. frown

Thoroughly field tested on all North American BG animals for several years before introduction;not invented on some engineers drawing board.

The reason given for wiping out the others was heavier bullets and higher velocities and that sold to the public in a big way. Wiped out the others overnight .

Bullets and scopes have gotten mo better.....the cartridge is Top Ten for BG worldwide. What's not to like? cool

Conversations about neophytes who can's shoot are silly nonsense. Make a cartridge popular and it will eventually end up in the hands of people who cant shoot. Look at how many dopes lug a 30/06..... whistle
Posted By: starsky Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
I saw a 7 mag work on a critter once.
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Less diameter.... Less mass... and Less BC....

Is the same as Greater diameter.... Greater mass.... and Greater BC....

Less of everything is the same as more of everything....

Depending on if the spreadsheet is correct.... ask 16whore....

A 6.5mm 147 ELDM has less diameter, less mass and less BC than a 7mm 162 Amax.

Originally Posted by starsky

I'll bet you did.... smile
The 7MM Rem Mag never made a lot of sense to me.

For long range deer, I use a .270 Win. Less recoil, just as flat shooting, and kills deer out to 500 yards like lightning. I won't generally take shots longer than that.

For elk, I use a .338 win mag. Not as flat shooting, but delivers lots more foot lb. If you ever aspire to hunt large bear, this is your cartridge. Most of the elk I have seen wounded and not recovered have been shot with a 7 Mag.

I guess if you were looking for an elk rifle and never wanted to go bear hunting, or you wanted a bigger bear rifle like a 375 H&H, the 7 Mag might be a good choice.

I'm a fan. Recoil feels the same as a 30-06 to me and I've yet to own one that didn't shoot under an inch. I've knocked down several critters with the 150 gr Ballistic Tip.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
[quote=Tanner]With the right bullet they work okay- mine made some meat this season.

No kidding. He may be young a ugly, but he's obviously very good at whacking stuff, big stuff too.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
[quote=Tanner]With the right bullet they work okay- mine made some meat this season.

No kidding. He may be young a ugly, but he's obviously very good at whacking stuff, big stuff too.

Gross!

David
Posted By: roundoak Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
A few years back, I was wringing out the best a 7x57 has to offer. I was scolded and told to get a 7RM. After using it on several big game animals, I said to myself, schidt I did that with my 7x57. grin
Posted By: 4winds Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Gross!

David

Yeah, knock off the 270 talk!
I have two Remmy 7mags in the safe and own both of them because the prior owners had itches for a win 300. I got both of them for a song and they have become my hog hammer guns. They are underrated by most but not by me.
Originally Posted by 4winds
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Gross!

David

Yeah, knock off the 270 talk!

Threads mentioning the 270 seem much less serious.

Wtf
Awkward........

Lol.
Posted By: joshf303 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17

Wtf

Did any of these whackings involve BBCs?

Maybe?

Tanner

LOL.

If you start with the premise that the 7mm Rem Mag is over rated you are way behind the 8 Ball from the get go.

You need to post picts.

Just Sayin. wink

In defense of the 6.5s the 140gr VLD is a bit older than a decade.

Just Sayin. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice stuff.

Tunner is going to talk me into a 7mm Rem Mag yet.

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
I used a Brown Precision custom Mark X belonging to my brother to take my first WV buck in 1994 (my son was using my only rifle). I hit the 8-point about halfway up, right behind the shoulder, at about 75 yards with a 150gr BT at 3100 or so. He trotted about 50 yards and stopped, so thinking I had somehow missed, I worked the bolt quietly and was about to give him another one, when he flopped over, which totally freaked out his "date", who ran off. The exit hole was a couple inches in diameter, and the insides were soup, just like with similar hits from various .270s, .30/06s, and even .308s; the point being that for deer at least, there's not much difference in killing power between the standards and most magnum rounds, at least not at ordinary ranges. Far off, and for bigger stuff, maybe, but with new powders and bullets, I don't feel there's any advantage, and all things considered, there are a couple of disadvantages compared to '06-based cartridges, for me at least. (this opinion also takes into consideration a number of deer my brother took with that rifle)

I wouldn't build or go looking for a 7RM, but also wouldn't pass up a nice one I ran into either. Given the opportunity, I definitely would have acquired my brother's superb rifle when he passed, but that didn't happen.

Wtf

Originally Posted by MadMooner
Awkward........
Lol.

It's NOT awkward if you don't take it out of context ! Sheesh

You can tell about someone's experience and/or success not only by what's said but also what's NOT said.

Jerry

laugh laugh laugh laugh

Thanks for the chuckle !!
Jerry

SeewhatimeanVern?
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Far off, and for bigger stuff, maybe, ...

This is where the 7 RM shows its merit. With the Xtra vel coupled with BCs like a 162 BTSP-- it's fairly flat for a long ways + the bullets retain velocity very well.

IMO I agree w/you INSIDE 300 yds but from there on out the 7 RM has earned its respect.

Jerry

This is pertinent to these latter discussions.

Bob & others here have the USER experience to verify the 7's versatility and virtues.

I'm looking for another's post which will testify of the 7's 'hunter' value.

Jerry

His right forearm is larger than his left forearm
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/27/17
You mean like a tennis player?
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Maybe?

Tanner

LOL.

If you start with the premise that the 7mm Rem Mag is over rated you are way behind the 8 Ball from the get go.

You need to post picts.

Just Sayin. wink

In defense of the 6.5s the 140gr VLD is a bit older than a decade.

Just Sayin. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice stuff.

Tunner is going to talk me into a 7mm Rem Mag yet.

That is funny coming from a 700 yard .243 shooter.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
You mean like a tennis player?

Or like a bareback rider
Posted By: jwall Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/28/17
I borrowed the following from the "Perfect Battery...Choose One" thread, P 4 Mr. John Burns posted...

Originally Posted By RinB

Mr Burns

Would appreciate your input as I am laying out the cabbage to go look for a Stone's sheep.

What would you choose? It must be available worldwide.

I used a 7RM for many years but couldn't see any advantage over a 270. The 300 Win is great but has a lot of recoil in a lw rifle.

The 308 & 30-06 are pretty good.

What say you?
---------------------------------

John Burns' reply:

"I would choose the 7mm Rem Mag....
Pretty available world wide if you need ammo in a pinch.

Combine the ability to launch good bullets at decent velocity with moderate recoil makes a cartridge that will never limit the hunter."

This is the OTHER post I wanted to go with this THREAD.
"7mm Rem Mag Thoughts". Opinions are ALL OVER the place but from the experience of ACTUAL users of the 7 Mag on more than 1-10 head of game, the evidence supports the ADVANTAGES of the 7 R M.

Jerry
Posted By: Trystan Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/28/17
The 7mm mag for the majority who used it in the 70s and 80s was mostly magical hype and a smoking mirror though the large majority of the public never caught on to this fact. The problem was most hunters who used the cartridge used shelf ammo and chrono numbers proved most 7 mag ammo to be rather on the anemic side. In fact a number of 270 win factory ammo offerings were winning the day. Still reports of the magical magnum belted case continued to circulate throughout the land and the 7 mag did indeed become very popular.

In the hands of the handloader only then can the 7mm mag recognize its full potential. At full potential however the 7 mag is at its best beyond 500 yds where 95% of hunters will never use the cartridge.

In the hands of an experienced long range hunter the 7 mag is one of the greats.

In the hands of 95% of hunters however it is one of the most overrated cartridges to ever hit the market

Back then being a handloader restrained by Saami confines I opted for the 300 win mag that I considered to be a true performer.

Trystan
Hey Tanner, is that a Game Scout on your 7RM?

Thanks,

J
Posted By: Tanner Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/28/17
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Hey Tanner, is that a Game Scout on your 7RM?

Thanks,

J

Yessir, I like that one quite a bit.

Tanner
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/28/17
One of my good friends uses only a 7Rem. He has hunted all over the world with it. He has taken some extremely big animals at long range. He has said that he feels he doesn't need anything else.

Kurt and Cole Ellis are both very good guides up here. They have used them for forty years. No problems.

I have shot two moose and seven caribou with them. There are no flies on the caliber.
Bullet selection, SD and BC of .277 pills don't quite match .284s. That alone is enough to give the 7 the edge imo.
Posted By: 16bore Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/28/17
But.......

Eh, nevermind
Posted By: jwall Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/28/17
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
Bullet selection, SD and BC of .277 pills don't quite match .284s. That alone is enough to give the 7 the edge imo.

Really ?

Have you actually compared the SD and BC between the 270 & 284>>
in the Same weights. ??

Yes, there are more bullet weights available in 284 than 277.......

how many hunters use 5 or 6 different bullet weights in the same cartridge?

Don't misunderstand -- I like and USE both.

Jerry
Posted By: Heym06 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/28/17
I like my 7 mag, I refrained from buying one for years. I got a great one in a trade a few years back! It's become my go to rifle for deer, elk, and most everything! I still like my 06, 300, 308 and others! My 7 mag is a stainless Ruger with timney trigger, and shoots excellent! Still haven't got bit by the 270 bug probably never will!
Posted By: 16bore Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/29/17
If Laupa would just make a .277 Scenar.....
Posted By: starsky Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/29/17
Yeah maybe they could magically get a .8 BC out of a 270.
You 180 ELD-M yet?
Posted By: SeanD Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/29/17
I think it's a near perfect NA big game cartridge. Factory ammo is available in rural area hardware stores, and handloaded can shoot with the best of them short and long range.

However I sold mine, and now run a 270winchester. It took me years but I did finally accept that I don't like recoil. Not that there is a huge difference between the two, but there is enough to make me prefer the 270.

True the 7mm super bullets have a BC advantage over the 270. But the difference is small unless you are getting way out there. The BC of the berger and Hornady .277's are above .5 and that's not horrid at 600 yards.

You 145 ELD-X yet?

Better yet... why don't you post your best actual .270 load... not theory... a load you actually shoot...

and we'll compare it to Starsky's actual 7mm Rem Mag load...

Then you can bust into Excel and Paper "Stat" Brigade your heart out... and explain to us all how they're the "same"...
Are you Starsky's bitch too or just mine? How about your 180 ELD-M? That was a question you cock sucking queer. Is it a mystery to you that a 145 can be loaded to 3k? No, and I never said I had. But, I do my homework. You should try it sometime, instead wandering around ignorant.

But I would like to see your 180 load that you're pushing to 3K.

Are you just an ass kisser, cock sucker, or both?

The only difference between an ass kisser and a cock sucker is that the cock sucker knows when to quit.

Laffin.... that's what I thought...
Posted By: starsky Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/29/17
180s are en route and 2900fps will be a breeze out of my 24" barrel.
That's it you guy's talked me into a 7mm Rem Mag with a 8.2 twist..........should be here in a couple weeks!
Excited to see what the 180 grainers can do way out there!
Posted By: Bugger Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/29/17
First of all the 280 isn't powerful enough so the 280AI. It is almost as powerful as the 7mm RM so the 280 AI is perfect. But the 7mm RM isn't powerful enough thus the 7mm STW, the 28 Nosler and the different other more powerful and the wildcats that are more powerful are much more desirable. Further the 7mm RM kicks too much so go to a 270 instead. Further the long action is a poor choice so what is the perfect cartridges are the 7mm -08 and the 7x57 and oh yeh, the 284.
Therefore the 7mm RM is a totally worthless cartridge there's so many other cartridges that are so much better in every way. That's why I own three of those worthless 7mm RM's.
Posted By: hanco Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/29/17
I never thought the 7 mag to be a hard kicker.
Posted By: Dogger Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/29/17
Well, according to the Gospel of Speer Reloading Manual 13, "If you own a good 280, there's little reason to trade it in for any of the 7mm Magnums."

page 237.

I bought my 280 a dozen years ago, and every time I think of a 7RM I go back and read that Speer manual...
Originally Posted by Trystan
The 7mm mag for the majority who used it in the 70s and 80s was mostly magical hype and a smoking mirror though the large majority of the public never caught on to this fact. The problem was most hunters who used the cartridge used shelf ammo and chrono numbers proved most 7 mag ammo to be rather on the anemic side. In fact a number of 270 win factory ammo offerings were winning the day. Still reports of the magical magnum belted case continued to circulate throughout the land and the 7 mag did indeed become very popular.

In the hands of the handloader only then can the 7mm mag recognize its full potential. At full potential however the 7 mag is at its best beyond 500 yds where 95% of hunters will never use the cartridge.

In the hands of an experienced long range hunter the 7 mag is one of the greats.

In the hands of 95% of hunters however it is one of the most overrated cartridges to ever hit the market

Back then being a handloader restrained by Saami confines I opted for the 300 win mag that I considered to be a true performer.

Trystan

laugh
What the heck is a smoking mirror?

P
Posted By: Starman Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/29/17
Most high speed belted magnums are at their best beyond 500yd.
I wonder how many .300wins and .300wbys have been purchased by people
who never shot them to 300yd, let alone 400 or 500yd or beyond.

I purchased a 300-wby for its sheer 'power'(as an impressionable youngster the marketing hype worked on me)
but certainly not for planning on 500+yd shots....200yd was my most ever.

On reflection, an 'anaemic' factory load 7mmMag would have more than sufficed.
Posted By: jwall Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/29/17
Originally Posted by Dogger
Well, according to the Gospel of Speer Reloading Manual 13, "If you own a good 280, there's little reason to trade it in for any of the 7mm Magnums."

page 237.

I bought my 280 a dozen years ago, and every time I think of a 7RM I go back and read that Speer manual...

You keep reading that manual....
IMO you don't need a 7 Mag.

Jerry
Posted By: jwall Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/29/17
Originally Posted by Bugger
That's why I own three of those worthless 7mm RM's.

grin grin grin

Yeah, I've got at least 2

Jerry

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tanner, probably missed it but 6x42 or 10x42 SWFA SS on that rifle?

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: rosco1 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/29/17

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm starting to wonder if a guy could just buy a 700 in 7RM, bed it into a good stock, tweak the trigger and end up with a rifle that doesn't take a back seat to anything?

Wonder if those 700's are twisted s right, throated right or have enough magazine length? Probably not.. back to the drawing board smile

If Remington could offer such a rifle, maybe bullet manufacturers would finally start making decent .284" bullets..
Sure would leave a lot of money for tags, instead of chasing the perfect build..
Posted By: StrayDog Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/29/17
Originally Posted by rosco1

I'm starting to wonder if a guy could just buy a 700 in 7RM, bed it into a good stock, tweak the trigger and end up with a rifle that doesn't take a back seat to anything?
"Trigger Tech" trigger assemblies are easier to replace than "Timney". but either is better than a 700, worth the money and an hour of your time for the first one.

I bought my first 7RM in 1977 and they are still exciting and fun to shoot, and my shoulder tells me they don't kick as much as is generally talked about, doesn't hurt anymore than a 30-06 or a shotgun.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/30/17
Originally Posted by rosco

Yes.
Posted By: Tanner Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/30/17
Originally Posted by xverminator

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tanner, probably missed it but 6x42 or 10x42 SWFA SS on that rifle?

X-VERMINATOR

10x42.

Tanner

That's the route I'm headed...
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/30/17
Bob...think you may have mentioned this in the past, but have you done any work in a longer lead with this cartridge?
I have one now I`m working with, Wby lead, and getting Wby velocities with it. I think the standard lead actually reduces potential velocity the case has to offer.
Thoughts?
Posted By: 16bore Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/30/17

Something wrong with the one you've got?

Wonder if those 700's are twisted s right, throated right or have enough magazine length? Probably not.. back to the drawing board smile

If Remington could offer such a rifle, maybe bullet manufacturers would finally start making decent .284" bullets..
Sure would leave a lot of money for tags, instead of chasing the perfect build..

8# of impossible.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 338Rules Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/30/17
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Bob...think you may have mentioned this in the past, but have you done any work in a longer lead with this cartridge?
I have one now I`m working with, Wby lead, and getting Wby velocities with it. I think the standard lead actually reduces potential velocity the case has to offer.
Thoughts?

Details please,

Isn't this the issue that caused SAAMI to reduce the MAP pressure standard on the 7mm Rem

Something wrong with the one you got?

Yeah.... it ain't a .270.... laffin.

Seriously though, the one I've got is brand new... only 5 rounds through it... but it does have a little blood on it already. Got it bedded in a McClassic and about to start working loads for the 162 and 175s... there's a welding mask around here somewhere....

It'll be the only rifle that goes BG hunting with me for a long while....
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/30/17
Sure...more of a question on my part in doing what I`ve done.
As I mentioned here, have had a 7 Wby for a few years, really like it. Had a PAC-NOR replace the original Rem barrel, was originally a Classic, but that is a long story, but thought the lead in the Wby was a bit to much for SOME bullets. So, bought a take off 7 Rem Mag from a member here, ran the throat out to match the Wby`s. In doing so, am able to match the Wby velocites utilizing the entire Rem case capacity. I just start the load process at the starting velocities for Wby and proceed with normal work-ups. I have a load utilizing Retumbo and pushing a 160 Sierra TMK at 3190. SAFE in MY rifle...so gaining about 100fps or so. Also just tested some 175 Sierra`s at 200, excellent accuracy, have not run over the cronie.
Don`t know if this is worth it, so thought to ask Bob.
For someone who hand loads, and wants a bit more out of the old girl, might be a way to go with out changing much or costing a lot.
BTB, I do have two 700`s, one the Wby the other the Rem Mag.
Do not know about SAMMI specs, but so for no surprises.
Thoughts?

Of course it does. I was doing this back in the late 1980's along with some friends. Nothing complicated here.

I used to seat a 160 NPT with its base even with the base of the 7 RM case. Used to do the same with a 180 NPT in the 300 WM.

You were basically wildcatting the case.And if you can't keep yourself out of trouble with a wild cat you have no business hand loading a factory round.

Gun writers like John Wooters advocated it. You got rid of the short OAL , the cartridge was easier to load even if you did not nudge into weatherby data.

We used 1/9 twists. They handled everything including moose and bull elk.. The rifles got hunted all over the west.

Pressure? How do I know ? Who cares? smile Whenever someone wants to dump on something someone did 30 years ago they scream.."Pressure pressure!!!!"!

Thousands of rounds,brass tossed without incident ,and dead animals galore. My last bull elk with a 7 Rem Mag was with a rifle cut wth a long throat and would not even shoot until I loaded a 160 Partition to 3080.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/30/17
I bought my first one last year because I wanted the rifle and would've got it no matter the chambering. Since then, I think its the only gun that's been out of the safe. It doesn't really do anything the .270 or .30-06 won't do other than a little more bullet weight than the 270 and a little more speed than the 06, but I think its fairly similar to them in that while its probably not perfect for much its adequate for just about everything.
Thoughts?

Of course it does. I was doing this back in the late 1980's along with some friends. Nothing complicated here.

I used to seat a 160 NPT with its base even with the base of the 7 RM case. Used to do the same with a 180 NPT in the 300 WM.

You were basically wildcatting the case.And if you can't keep yourself out of trouble with a wild cat you have no business hand loading a factory round.

Gun writers like John Wooters advocated it. You got rid of the short OAL , the cartridge was easier to load even if you did not nudge into weatherby data.

We used 1/9 twists. They handled everything including moose and bull elk.. The rifles got hunted all over the west.

Pressure? How do I know ? Who cares? smile Whenever someone wants to dump on something someone did 30 years ago they scream.."Pressure pressure!!!!"!

Thousands of rounds,brass tossed without incident ,and dead animals galore. My last bull elk with a 7 Rem Mag was with a rifle cut wth a long throat and would not even shoot until I loaded a 160 Partition to 3080.

Bob:
Mine has the H&H length mag box but is throated where 3.334 is the longest that will chamber. For loony reasons that kind of bothers me, would you recommend letting the throat out or just letting it get shot out some first? Chamber seems to be really tight as it takes a good deal of finger pressure to seat a bullet in an un-sized fired case and has a good bit of neck tension when seated.
Posted By: STS45 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/30/17

Remington? Which one did you go with? I'm thinking about just picking up a stainless SPS in 7mag and dropping it in a McMillan edge.
Now if there was just some brass around. I've got 100 new pieces of RP that I'm skeered to load. Well, it'll cost me a coupla cheeseburgers first, but none the less...
Kelly: I'd do it and throat to the 160 AB.

Keep in mind that lighter bullets will show some jump but no big deal. Friends with Rem700 did it all the time.I used M70's.
Bob:

thank you, I've mostly been shooting the 160 partition as I'd bought a bunch because they were on sale but have planned to switch to accubonds when I run out. Planned on just sticking to 160s for everything. figure if they won't work then I really need either a bigger or smaller gun

Remington? Which one did you go with? I'm thinking about just picking up a stainless SPS in 7mag and dropping it in a McMillan edge.

Yep... stainless SPS that my new wife bought me for Christmas. Bedded it in a standard fill McClassic. Gotta get around to chopping it to 24" one of these days... but I think it'll work well for now.
Posted By: STS45 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/30/17

Yep... stainless SPS that my new wife bought me for Christmas. Bedded it in a standard fill McClassic. Gotta get around to chopping it to 24" one of these days... but I think it'll work well for now.

Awesome. Keep us updated how it shoots. I've got Hunsonora's old 260 SPS and it shoots amazing.
Posted By: Dogger Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/30/17
You gentlemen do realize the trouble this thread is going to cause? Once it hits 20 pages, it is going to spawn another 7mmRM vs 7mm-300 WM vs 7mm Mashburn thread. Me, I am putting my money on the 7mm-300 Norma!!
Posted By: Tanner Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/30/17

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No way.... Not for a serious hunter anyways.

Tanner
Considering there's a .577 TRex, might as well neck it to .277 TRex...

You fellas going SWFA on them there 7 Maggie's?
Yup.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: slm9s Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/30/17
You gentlemen do realize the trouble this thread is going to cause? Once it hits 20 pages, it is going to spawn another 7mmRM vs 7mm-300 WM vs 7mm Mashburn thread. Me, I am putting my money on the 7mm-300 Norma!!

You forgot the STW!
Posted By: smallfry Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/30/17
I'd rather see the debate about the 7mm Rem Mag Vs. the 300 Win Mag. They categorically are used on the same game and both have range.
Yup...I agree. However, there is a fairly new 7mm sheriff in town called the 28 Nosler which can also be added for comparison......
A 7mm RUM !
Posted By: 16bore Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/31/17
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Yup.
[Linked Image]

That thing will poke your eye out. Tempted to try the variable version myself.
Keep us updated how it shoots. I've got Hunsonora's old 260 SPS and it shoots amazing.

Will do... won't be long now.

That .260 does bad... ugly... borderline heinous things to prairie dogs... brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/31/17
Thanks Bob. Tho I do love the Wby, cases can be expensive as you know. Thought if I tried the long throat thing in the 7 Rem Mag,would have more options. The take off barrel cost me $45 bucks, we did the work, so had nothing to loose and everything to learn. Working so far.
Posted By: STS45 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/31/17
Keep us updated how it shoots. I've got Hunsonora's old 260 SPS and it shoots amazing.

Will do... won't be long now.

That .260 does bad... ugly... borderline heinous things to prairie dogs... brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.

It does really bad things to mule deer and elk too.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/31/17
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Bob:

thank you, I've mostly been shooting the 160 partition as I'd bought a bunch because they were on sale but have planned to switch to accubonds when I run out. Planned on just sticking to 160s for everything. figure if they won't work then I really need either a bigger or smaller gun

If I had a bunch of Partitions I wouldn't switch to an Accubond.
Posted By: jwall Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/31/17
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Bob:

If I had a bunch of Partitions I wouldn't switch to an Accubond.

Yep! the partitions can't be replaced cheap (ly).

Jerry
Posted By: Alamosa Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 01/31/17
I have 4 7RMs. 2 are Senderos and 2 BLRs.
I've never regretted that I wasn't taking advantage of the rifles potential because I was too close.
Never felt like 7mags were particularly hard kickers.
Most elk I kill (most anything actually) are at ~100 yards.
On a few occasions I killed elk or antelope at 400yds or so. That is not really the shot I'd prefer but the 7mag was nice to have at the time.

page 237.

Although I own and like both, I have to agree with Speer.
If all I had was a .280 and I wanted more horsepower, I'd probably opt for a .300 Magnum of some sort.

Posted By: 16bore Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 02/03/17
This thread kinda sucks now without Bob around. RIP.
Posted By: smallfry Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 02/03/17
Well, you can look at it another way. Bob would probably be happy if we continued on with a bunch of 7mm Rem Mag, Mash, 30-06, and 270 win threads.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

page 237.

Although I own and like both, I have to agree with Speer.
If all I had was a .280 and I wanted more horsepower, I'd probably opt for a .300 Magnum of some sort.

Thinking back, I kind of did that - bought a .300WM for more horsepower.

Mostly it was a question in my mind of whether I had made the right decision 21 years previously when I purchased my 7mm RM.

The .300 WM provided significantly increased recoil with at best marginal additional, useful lethality at the ranges I'm willing to shoot. Then I built a .338WM. It makes bigger holes and kills stuff dead, but no deader than the 7mm RM.

My last elk was killed with a 7mm RM and a 160g Speer Grand Slam at 411 yards, 4 steps and down. The last elk I killed with the .338WM went about 25 yards (225g Nosler AB @ 487 yards) and the last with the .300WM (180g Barnes MRX @ 400 yards) went maybe 5 yards.

Not only is there nothing wrong with the 7mm RM, I've found it easy to load for with recoil about the same as a .30-06 (can be more or less and tales of its fierce recoil have always puzzled me). If it were to do over, and knowing I would be handloading, I'd make the same 7mm RM choice again. If not handloading my first choice would be a .30-06.

Posted By: jwall Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 02/03/17
Well, you can look at it another way. Bob would probably be happy if we continued on with a bunch of 7mm Rem Mag, Mash, 30-06, and 270 win threads.

Absolutely ! He wouldn't be happy if we quit.

Jerry

Absolutely ! He wouldn't be happy if we quit.

Jerry

He sure influenced a lot of decisions I made with guns and scopes for sure. If it had not been for him and Dober I would not even know what a Mashburn was.
I bought a LH Model 700 in 1980. Used it exclusively on Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail, Antelope and Caribou for a dozen years or so. Used it on Elk for 35 years. Over the years, I had the shiny metal coated with teflon and turned it into an ADL with an H S Precision stock. This one has the 24" barrel but still shoots 160 grain Nosler Partitions @ 3090 fps.

Everyone needs at least one 7 Mag of some kind. Doesn't kick much. Mine groups 3 in about 3/4". I've enjoyed it a lot.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 02/06/17
I had asked Bob here about a long throated 7 Rem Mag. Well, just shot the 162 ELD in it and the average of five is 3160 fps. He was right, it works. Thanks Bob.
Just reading BobinNH posts...

Amazing he could write that well in his near terminal condition. He was sharp to the end.

I really like this 7RM, a MkV with 24" #2 Brux, 8 twist in a Wby. Express McWoody, Timney trigger, pillared, glassed, free floated and torqued.

It's a tack driver, really likes 175's and 180's. VX-6 2-12x42 non illuminated duplex in LW Talley's.

I'm not a Wby fan per se, this is my only one. But, the MkV is well made and cycles really fast. Not the lightest, IIRC, this one somewhere in the mid 8# range.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Amazing he could write that well in his near terminal condition. He was sharp to the end.

I really like this 7RM, a MkV with 24" #2 Brux, 8 twist in a Wby. Express McWoody, Timney trigger, pillared, glassed, free floated and torqued.

It's a tack driver, really likes 175's and 180's. VX-6 2-12x42 non illuminated duplex in LW Talley's.

I'm not a Wby fan per se, this is my only one. But, the MkV is well made and cycles really fast. Not the lightest, IIRC, this one somewhere in the mid 8# range.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Total weight of above rifle is 8#'s ? How do you like the express stock? Is it thicker in the foreend then the regular Mark V stock?
I'll weigh it again when I get home from the office, had posted from memory.

I like the Express stock, the drop of the comb and the way it fits. When I got this one, McM called it the Sako Safari, Wby inlet, now it's the Wby. Express.

The VX-6 is super quick to acquire a target, eyebox is very generous. The gun is a pleasure to handle and shoot.

The foreend is short and pretty trim. If it was a big boomer, I'd want the front swivel stud on the barrel, not on the stock. I think the short foreend was set up for that. With this gun, not an issue. For precision LR shooting, I don't want a sling hanging off the barrel.

DF
I'll weigh it again when I get home from the office, had posted from memory.

I like the Express stock, the drop of the comb and the way it fits. When I got this one, McM called it the Sako Express, Wby inlet, now it's the Wby. Express.

The VX-6 is super quick to acquire a target, eyebox is very generous. The gun is a pleasure to handle and shoot.

The foreend is short and pretty trim. If it was a big boomer, I'd want the front swivel stud on the barrel, not on the stock. I think the short foreend was set up for that. With this gun, not an issue. For precision LR shooting, I don't want a sling hanging off the barrel.

DF

Yeah that stock looks like it fits the bill perfectly . I just liberated a 270 bee sporter from the LGS . Going to have the barrelled action satin finished and then put it in a gorgeous Euromark stock I have in the closet. I also wanted to get a Mcmillan stock for it and I do not like the current MArk V version they sell.
This stock is std. fill.

You can now get a McWoody with Edge fill, I have one on a 98 FN/Shilen 6.5x55.

Edge fill will save a few ounces if wt. is an issue.

DF
This stock is std. fill.

You can now get a McWoody with Edge fill, I have one on a 98 FN/Shilen 6.5x55.

Edge fill will save a few ounces if wt. is an issue.

DF

Good to know , thanks for the info
I much prefer this McM Wby Express shape, fit and handling to the std. factory Wby profile; I don't like a big, fat cheek piece.

I use a more heads up shooting position, don't stock crawl; I set my scopes back a bit compared to most. This stock is perfect for that type shooting style, comes up very quick.

And, it's a more conservative profile, looks better to me; besides, I like the Safari look.

DF
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Total weight of above rifle is 8#'s ? How do you like the express stock? Is it thicker in the foreend then the regular Mark V stock?

MkV with 24" #2 Brux in std. fill Wby. Express is 8# 4 oz.

VX-6 2-12x42 non-illuminated is 16.8 oz, Talley LW's around 2 1/2 oz.

So, all up it's approx. 9# 5 oz, balances and handles like a lighter gun. Very pleasant to shoot, even with the heaviest bullets at max velocity.

DF

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

MkV with 24" #2 Brux in std. fill Wby. Express is 8# 4 oz.

VX-6 2-12x42 non-illuminated is 16.8 oz, Talley LW's around 2 1/2 oz.

So, all up it's approx. 9# 5 oz, balances and handles like a lighter gun. Very pleasant to shoot, even with the heaviest bullets at max velocity.

DF

8# 4 ounces is what my Mark V 270 bee weighs with the 34 ounce synthetic stock and 26" # 2 barrel. I guess if I put it in a Express stock Mcwoody pattern in an edge it would be around the 7.6 area which is ideal. It balances perfectly in the synthetic and the euromark stock I have for it, the weight is deceptive for sure.

DF thanks for posting that information.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 02/06/17

If you have a 300 win mag you do not need a 7mm Remington magnum to fill that same slot. Where the 7mm really shines is with the 140gr bullet and the animals appropriate to shoot with them. Deer/Bear/Cougar/ Antelope/Sheep. Even Coyote if you do not mind making them extra dead. Look up the ballistics of assorted 140gr 7mm bullets at 3200fps. If you do not like what you find, you do not need a 7mm rem mag.
Posted By: Tanner Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 02/06/17
Originally Posted by baltz526

If you have a 300 win mag you do not need a 7mm Remington magnum to fill that same slot. Where the 7mm really shines is with the 140gr bullet and the animals appropriate to shoot with them. Deer/Bear/Cougar/ Antelope/Sheep. Even Coyote if you do not mind making them extra dead. Look up the ballistics of assorted 140gr 7mm bullets at 3200fps. If you do not like what you find, you do not need a 7mm rem mag.

140gr bullets are far from what shines brightest in the 7 Rem Mag.

Tanner
I have both and like both the.300 and 7mmRM.. My late wife took over the 7 for her rifle the last 10 years of her life.. We mostly loaded it with a heavy load of Re22 and a 140 BTBT.

It killed everything from rockchucks to moose.. Great load.. But it did shoot faster that 3200.. Maybe due to the altitude here..
I like both, simply for variety.. Shooting one caliber or rifle all the time gets plenty boring for me..

140gr bullets are far from what shines brightest in the 7 Rem Mag.

Tanner

140gr. bullet in a 7mm rem mag? Damn that's putrid. Try stepping up to a 162 A-max or 168 VLD or 162 ELD.... That's where it really "shines".... wink
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have both and like both the.300 and 7mmRM.. My late wife took over the 7 for her rifle the last 10 years of her life.. We mostly loaded it with a heavy load of Re22 and a 140 BTBT.

It killed everything from rockchucks to moose.. Great load.. But it did shoot faster that 3200.. Maybe due to the altitude here..
I like both, simply for variety.. Shooting one caliber or rifle all the time gets plenty boring for me..

I also have and like both.

For over 20 years I loaded the 7mm RM with 160g bullets while the .300WM has only been loaded with 180g bullets. Still have some of those 160g 7mm RM loads but load 140g bullets these days. Like you, I get over 3200fps with them. Good 140g bullets (Barnes TTSX, North Fork SS, etc.) will expand well and still drive through several feet of animal at ranges near and far.
Some 7RM's like 140's better than 160's. I go with what the gun likes. My Len Brownell Chaplin and Haskins prefers 139/140 gr. bullets, shoots them sub MOA. It won't shoot 160's that well, unlike the 8 twist, 7RM Brux/MkV posted earlier. I haven't measured the twist on this one, probably slower than 8 if I was to guess.

With local WT's and such, 140 gr. is more than enough, don't need heavier bullets.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wow, Chaplin and Haskins.. Elmer's 338/378 came from there.. Outstanding.. Still in business????
No.

C&H no longer makes these rifles. They're still in Enid, OK, selling used guns, mostly high quality and a lot of big boomers. They also sell high end shotguns, work on those type guns.

Yep, Elmer was impressed and they built him a real special one with squared off trigger guard like a Ruger Superblackhawk.

Can't say I was too fond of how that looked, but the gun was a boomer, for sure. Elmer's kinda ordinance...

DF
Wow, Chaplin and Haskins.. Elmer's 338/378 came from there.. Outstanding.. Still in business????

Yeah this guy's rifle collection makes me sick grin he is always posting this porn just to rub it in .

Yeah this guy's rifle collection makes me sick grin he is always posting this porn just to rub it in .

laugh

And, you just seen some of'em... grin

DF
Posted By: jwall Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 02/07/17

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
DF

DF - that is one FINE looking rifle and if you ain't "lying" grin , it shoots.

However, at 9 #s my 'gun bearer' took off his vest and went looking for Mick. whistle..said I ain't carrying a cross tie. laugh

Jerry
Not a mtn. rifle, but not bad. It's lighter than my hunting bud's Sendero. I asked him why he packed such a heavy gun. His reply, "Once I get it there, I know what it will do".

This gun carries and handles a lot better than it sounds. I do have lighter rifles, but only a select few that will shoot like this one.

So, it depends on the application, the hunt, the altitude, etc.

I like it on a Harris bipod for reaching out there. I've never taken it pronghorn hunting, prefer my .240 and 6.5's for that. But, it would do the job.

DF

Edited to add info on the Sendero. By bud named that gun E. F. as in E. F. Hutton. When E. F. speaks... shocked

When that old gun speaks, stuff dies. He's not a Fire contributor, has no idea he's shooting an unmentionable round known by some to be "gay"... blush

And, I don't have the heart to tell him; he just keeps on killing stuff. The barrel's not that that pretty thru the Hawkeye, I'd swap it out. It just keeps on killing stuff...

Hard to talk about E. F. not being Kosher with critters hanging at the skinning shed...

Posted By: hanco Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 02/09/17
I like that rifle, I had a Biesen that looked a lot like it.
Originally Posted by hanco
I like that rifle, I had a Biesen that looked a lot like it.

Seems they were contemporaries, masters of their craft.

DR
Posted By: Starman Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 02/10/17
If you have a 300 win mag you do not need a 7mm Remington magnum to fill that same slot.

The same the other way around for most situations and for some people all situations.

7mm 175NP will deliver in energy at 335-yd what the 06' 180NP does at 280-yd and 300win 180NP at 385-yd.

Sits in the middle of those two upper-lower 30cals in performance and recoil...whilst delivering a similar weight
higher penetrating bullet.

Its more gun than many owners need or ever fully utilise, which can also be said of some .270win or 30/06 owners.
The coolest thing about my Ruger Tang safety 7mm RM is the "Made in the 200th year of American liberty" on the barrel. I bought it new because the big 7 was what a physician friend used for elk and as a teenager I knew I wanted to hunt elk. The next best thing is that I've shot several groups of 3 shots that you could cover with a dime. The confidence that kind of accuracy brings isn't unique to just my 7, most of them shoot very well.

Mine only loves 150 grain bullets but it has killed more than 20 deer in San Diego County and several elk in Colorado since it started wearing Conquests many years ago everything out to 500+yards has dropped with the sound of the rifle. Early on I broke a few scopes- always at the wrong time.... but the rifle just performs.

I've got other rifles I hunt with these days but that 7 is just magic at killing game and making shots feel automatic. Smacking steel at 600 yards, or punching the white spot on a mule deer's throat at 211 yards the crosshairs always work to put the bullet where they meet.

I expect if I don't give it away before I drop dead the grandsons and sons in law will fight over it.
Just get a 280AI. laugh

Vaya con Dios, Bob!
Posted By: Fotis Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 02/11/17
Love my German Voere Titan II 7 maggie. Classy and accurate as can be!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mine goes hunting with me more often than not....

Burgess/Milliron

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beretzs Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 02/12/17
Beautiful rifle Whitebird!

I love the 7mm mags. I've got a 7mm WSM, Rem Mag and Mashburn. The Rem Mag was my first and it's always been an elk cartridge for me. Accurate and easy to load for.

Never seen any good 7mm Rem or WSM have any problems getting 3050 with a 160 or 2950 with a 175... It's always my suggestion for a hunter that wants a great BG cartridge that wants a little more than the 06 or 270 Win.
Posted By: 16bore Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 02/12/17
That's a weird ass looking front mount.
Posted By: smallfry Re: The 7mm Rem Mag thoughts. - 02/12/17
Awesome thread! I am going to put one together, a 24" Win 70 stainless much like my 300 Win Mag.
Have them both, and it is fun trading off from one rifle to another.. I like them both very much.. Great calibers..
© 24hourcampfire