Home
Posted By: kzceh Kimber Adirondack - 01/25/17
So has anyone picked up the great deal on the Adirondack at Euro optic?
If so I would love some feedback.

I am on the fence between it and a Montana in same caliber. Normally it would be out of my price range. I am after a lightweight rifle for whitetails.

Thanks.
Posted By: starsky Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/25/17
Got one locally for the same price. Pretty sweet little rig. Buy it.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/25/17
If it were in .308 I'd buy a second one ;]
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/25/17
Ditto. My .308 is a keeper. 150gr accubonds at 2800 from that little barrel are consistent .75 or less for 3 shot groups as fast as I can shoot at the bench.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/25/17
What's it chambered for? I've been eyeballing on in 6.5 Creed.
Posted By: kzceh Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/26/17
7mm-08
Posted By: 30338 Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/26/17
Don't see how you go wrong at that price.
Posted By: N2TRKYS Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/26/17
How much are they selling them for?
Posted By: covejeepsxj Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/26/17
I have had it in my cart on 3 different occasions now....
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/26/17
$1200 -I think .
Yes, $1199

Makes it comparable in price to a Montana. Question is for that price which is more desirable for long term usability and even resale? Does it serve too specific of a purpose?

In the end I really only hunt whitetails with an occasional opportunity to take a Black Bear. I may be splitting hairs here.
Posted By: Tope Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/26/17
Is it the twist rate that has it discounted? Shows 1-12 and the other regular price in 7-08 are 1-10. Still a great price though.
Posted By: persiandog Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/26/17
Montana 308 for about $1100.

P.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/26/17
Originally Posted by persiandog
Montana 308 for about $1100.

P.

the 7mm-08 is a great deal, but if you are looking for that light weight you can get there with a montana pretty easily and have a greater choice in calibers---

For reference:

my Adirondack in 308 with a muzzle break (came with it when I bought it used) and 13 oz. scope in talleys weighs 6# even.

my Montana in .338 federal cut down to 17" with a 16 oz. scope in talleys is 6# 6oz.

I've got them the way I want them but if you swapped their scopes and they would be the virtually the same...

If I were going to build my own feather weight in any random caliber I would do the following:

chris84 is selling titanium bolt knobs for the 84M, that will save you 2-ish ounces.

You can calculate the weight of your barrel/ how much you can lose by cutting it here: http://pac-nor.com/cgi-bin/bweight.cgi my .338 barrel was closest in profile to a #1

if you go with a fixed 6x36 or a lightweight 2-7 Leupold you can get a sub 10 ounce scope and probably get a 84M montana under 6lbs scoped without much fuss for about 1200 before optics.

lets start with a .257 Roberts Montana for $1100 and look at it by the numbers:

starting 5 lbs, 2 oz.

------cut to 18" takes off .3lbs= 4.8 oz lets round up to 5 when you take into account the recessed target crown metal removal. should cost $125 tops, if you cant find someone to do it, buy a T-handle facing kit from brownells and use a hacksaw and do it yourself for $100

4 lbs. 14 oz.

------swap for titanium bolt handle -2 oz $55

4 lbs. 12 oz.

Posted By: 30338 Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/26/17
Originally Posted by Tope
Is it the twist rate that has it discounted? Shows 1-12 and the other regular price in 7-08 are 1-10. Still a great price though.

It actually has a 9 twist rate and shoots 162 ELD bullets at 2600 fps quite well.
Just in case anyone is interested these are 2015 models. I found the sku # in the 2015 Kimber catalog to confirm. Specs seem to match 2016 model. 7mm-08 has a 9 twist. The only difference I see is the Forest camo.

Euro Optic said they bought up a bunch at a deal right before the 2016's were released.

Decisions, decisions...
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/26/17
Originally Posted by kzceh

I am on the fence between it and a Montana in same caliber. Normally it would be out of my price range. I am after a lightweight rifle for whitetails.

Thanks.

Suit yourself, but I wouldn't waste the additional money on an ADK when the perfectly good MT is available.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/26/17
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by kzceh

Thanks.

Suit yourself, but I wouldn't waste the additional money on an ADK when the perfectly good MT is available.

Aren't Montanas at about 1200 now?
Posted By: kzceh Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/27/17
Thank you for the feedback guys.
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/27/17
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Honestly not sure. I think $1075 is the highest I've ever paid for one, that was last August.

Whatever it is, the ADK is $300 more. That's a scope.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/27/17
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Honestly not sure. I think $1075 is the highest I've ever paid for one, that was last August.

Whatever it is, the ADK is $300 more. That's a scope.

I know the price went up with the threaded barrel and eurooptic is selling 7mm-08 Adirondacks for $1200

Normally I wouldn't pay he extra money for one, but if I was looking right now, I'd think about getting one at that price.
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Adirondack - 01/27/17
BD, I've been buying the older, pre-muzzle-brake/shiny-trigger/aluminum trigger-guard/used or new Kimber 84 MT's when I can find them. Just picked up a snazzy, nearly new, sans tinsel MT in 7-08 for $900. That's the way I like to buy stuff.
© 24hourcampfire