Home
Shoud we do a Mashburn commemorative in Bobs name and auction for benefit? I'm no good at keeping track of anything but i'm sure it would make him smile if we built a nest egg for a slick rifle. Possibly a "gasp" 70?

If anyone is interested in organizing such a thing please holler.

Feel free to start something to sticky with any details..

W
Oh hell yes.
Heck yes.
Perhaps use this thread to toss out some ideas.
Great idea
Thinking 70, Echols, 24" #2. Blued. Don't forget dies and a box of PTs... 😁

W
One piece PT&G aluminum oberndorff botttom metal, wisner checkered bolt release?
Originally Posted by BobinNH
7/08? Yawn smile

Give me a 270 or 280.

Just another target round designed to knock over silhouette rams. The whole short action business is "who cares"? tired

Bob's last post...why not make it a 270.
A .270 Win would be a great idea.
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
7/08? Yawn smile

Give me a 270 or 280.

Just another target round designed to knock over silhouette rams. The whole short action business is "who cares"? tired

Definitely. Maybe a Pre64 Fwt in a Brown or Edge?
Originally Posted by TDN
7/08? Yawn smile

Give me a 270 or 280.

Definitely. Maybe a Pre64 Fwt in a Brown or Edge?

Bob would no doubt approve.

Bob liked '22 and what else for the 270?

Brown Poundr if we are going 270
Should it be 270 or 7RM? Reading his signature line, thinking maybe a 7 Maggie.

If going synthetic, definitely a Brown stock.
To get things started, I will contribute a Pre-64 Model 70 action to the project.
Wow, a very kind move Whitebird. I have some spare pre 64 M70 parts, box, spring, extractor..if needed.
I think a lightweight .270 winchester would be great!
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Brown Poundr if we are going 270

Liking that a lot, Brown(color) stock with Red pad.
Wish I had more at the moment to contribute, but I have some of Bob's beloved Leupy DD's to throw in.
7/08? Yawn smile

Give me a 270 or 280.

That's what I was going to post when I started reading this thread. The 7mm Mashburn is really Mark Dobrenski's passion... he turned Bob on to it.
M70 270 Fwt in a Brown Precision, Sunny Hill Oberndorf Botom Metal (NO aluminum), 6x36 in Low DD's.
I threw out the Mashburn because if anyone could make you think it was a normal and right thing to do it was Bob.

Dig the 270 more. I can do Redding dies. 100 pcs of brass..

W
Just a nice bluing job or the Cerakote color. Something classy.... In that dark brown stock with a red pad.... Nice

W
Why not make this a raffle? Say 2,000 tickets @ $10 each? Maybe have the drawing in his hometown? We would need to find somebody to help with that...Proceeds would be used at the family's discretion.
Need a maine big buck patch incorporated on it somewhere, he was happier than a kid in a candy store when he got that behemouth the year before last.
Why not make this a raffle? Say 2,000 tickets @ $10 each? Maybe have the drawing in his hometown? We would need to find somebody to help with that...Proceeds would be used at the family's discretion.

Great idea!
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Great idea!

I'll second that. I know just the guy to ask but if this comes to fruition, we should probably give the appropriate folks some time to grieve.

I'll also second the chambering in .270.
I don't have any parts to contribute, but could donate a little cash to the cause.

Would definitely buy some raffle tickets.

Godspeed Bob, you'll be missed..
Agreed. May have a place in the Northwest corner. Seen some 180 stuff there but deer kill was brutal a few years back.

I will ask but lifelong buddy has a camp up there. Nice cabin. Could easily see a week up there. Very very nice old school people. Will see if we can toss a weeks stay up there also in the mix. Can meet you at airport in Vt. 7-8 hour drive through states. Bring a compass and Ibuprofen....

Wont know on this till march though. Maybe add this to the mix when all done.....

Maine buck engraving on floorplate?

W

I'll take ten when everything is set up...

Originally Posted by SKane
... we should probably give the appropriate folks some time to grieve.

Strongly agree. Give the family and friends time and space to mourn...
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I'll take ten when everything is set up...

Originally Posted by SKane
... we should probably give the appropriate folks some time to grieve.

Strongly agree. Give the family and friends time and space to mourn...

I'll second both points, we should give folks some time and I'm in for 10 tickets.
If anything should be engraved in the floorplate it should be like:

BobinNH
-24hr logo-
2/2/2017
Originally Posted by Brad

BobinNH
-24hr logo-
2/2/2017

Great call.
I just woke up. What the hell is going on??

BobinNH
-24hr logo-
2/2/2017

That's it.

Bob always struck me as a simple but classy sort. Not the type of guy who would walk around with a buck engraved on his rifle. But I didn't know him in person.
He was a pretty big 7mm Rem Mag fan too, folks.

But you can't go wrong with a .270 either.
NJ

BobinNH
-24hr logo-
2/2/2017

Yep. Great idea.
Sadly, I have nothing M70 related to donate. I'd gladly pick up a couple of boxes of Factory ammo with 130 gr. Partitions or a couple of boxes of Partitions to provide with the rifle.

BobinNH
-24hr logo-
2/2/2017
How about his birth year?

BobinNH
-24hr logo-
19??-2017
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

BobinNH
-24hr logo-
2/2/2017

BobinNH
-24hr logo-
19??-2017

The way I see it, it should be limited to what we knew of Bob from this forum. After all, this is where we met him and got to know him. Most of us wouldn't know his birthdate, or even his full name (though some of us know both). To us he's simply BobinNH from 24hr Campfire that left us on Feb 2nd, 2017.
Agree completely. We knew him here and in the now.
I concur with both of you.
The way I see it, it should be limited to what we knew of Bob from this forum. After all, this is where we met him and got to know him. Most of us wouldn't know his birthdate, or even his full name (though some of us know both). To us he's simply BobinNH from 24hr Campfire that left us on Feb 2nd, 2017.
This seems appropriate to me also.
M70 270 Fwt in a Brown Precision, Sunny Hill Oberndorf Botom Metal (NO aluminum), 6x36 in Low DD's.

With a 22" barrel.

IIRC, Bob liked 22" barrels on non-magnums and 24" inches on the likes of the 7mm RM, 7mm Mashburn, etc.
Originally Posted by Whitebird
To get things started, I will contribute a Pre-64 Model 70 action to the project.

Very cool!
Somebody may want to make this thread a sticky until the appropriate parties get the details sorted out.
I would even buy a ticket or two on a Commemorative .270..

Bob would get a kick out of that grin
Just when you thought this place was a pile of azzholes.

Pretty cool.
Originally Posted by ingwe
I would even buy a ticket or two on a Commemorative .270..

Bob would get a kick out of that grin

You'd probably win, divine intervention for sure...
I hope you win and use it, if I don't wink

270 !
If this rifle project comes full circle, I will cerakote the metal for it, no charge of course.

Please contact me through email: [email protected]
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

BobinNH
-24hr logo-
2/2/2017

BobinNH
-24hr logo-
19??-2017

wink
Given Bob's love of the 7 Rem Mag, I would have thought that would be the right choice of caliber, but I'll be in for tickets regardless.
He did like a 7 Mag
So at some point we need someone to take the lead on this, perhaps someone ( 24hr. member) who is in touch with the family?
I know Bob liked his #1 krieger barreled .270, so perhaps the first thing we should order up, a barrel?
He shot His last Elk with the 7mm Mag.

"You can't hardly find anything better as a general purpose BG cartridge."

Bob Speaking of the 7mm Mag.
Originally Posted by handwerk
So at some point we need someone to take the lead on this, perhaps someone ( 24hr. member) who is in touch with the family?
I know Bob liked his #1 krieger barreled .270, so perhaps the first thing we should order up, a barrel?

Agreed, if possible should be one of the guys that knew him personally. Anybody got any ideas as to who would be a good choice? I would think first and foremost we need to proceed tactfully and give people time to grieve.

I am happy to volunteer to take the lead on the rifle.
I'm relatively new here, but not to forums (15+ years starting with sigforum back in the day)

His last post was in my thread, I recognize when we lose a legend, I've lost a father and a grandfather in the past 2 years. What is a dream when the dreamer goes? I'm in for keeping his dream alive. you guys let me know what you need, I'll contribute to the project.

Sounds fine to me, you are donating the action. I didn't know Bob personally, always enjoyed his posts on here though. As long as no one has any objections to Whitebird, I suppose the next step would be to decide on a budget, iron out the details and figure out how we are going to fund the project.
Originally Posted by eddief
If this rifle project comes full circle, I will cerakote the metal for it, no charge of course.

Please contact me through email: [email protected]

Nicely done sir. Im in for a few tickets as well.
I enjoyed reading Mr. Bob's threads and hopefully can get a few tickets before they sell out...you gentlemen are kind and this shows that during these times men can put differences aside and remember why we all gather around the fire. It's not heat. It's not even the meals or (for those who so choose) the beverages. It's all about fellowship with those who share the same love of the outdoors, rifles, and shooting. I pray that Mr. Bob's family knows that he will be missed on here...I know that very well from my short time here. God bless-Eddie
I didn't know Bob but really liked reading his posts. So let's get the ball rolling here.

We need an action, barrel, stock, caliber, and a good smith.

Are we thinking CRF Winchester Model 70? I don't have any extra's at the moment but will keep my eyes peeled on here and the other sites. I'm more than willing to contribute. Hell if everyone who posted here throws in $20 we will have a nice fund to get building with.
Bob would have liked a pre 64 fwt in 270 with DD mounts, factory fwt aluminum bottom metal, brown pounder installed by brown and painted black.

To say he came new to the Mashburn would be disingenuous. He was a huge fan of the 7mm Rem Mag and its ilk and had been for years. For that one turn Gene Simillion loose to match Bob's rifle. Mark and Bob agreed on the Mashburn and while their rifle platform wasn't worlds apart it was certainly a couple of miles apart.
To summarize where we are at:

.270 Win, Pre-64 M70, Brown Pounder, 6x36 in DD mounts. Bottom metal?? been multiple recommendations on that.
Barrel??
Smith??

Whitebird has pledged an action and offered to take lead on rifle.

TDN has offered set of DD mounts.

Could see if we could get some recommendations for a smith(preferably a member here), and a cost estimate so we know what our fundraising goal should be.

I'll pledge $50 to get it rolling, but first we need to decide on a smith to move forward with this.
Awesome ideas, all. Such a good spirit of generosity and collaboration!!

A few of us already have a PM thread going to try and coordinate the build, no one wants this to feel exclusionary at all - only helpful and efficient. Thinking along the same lines as we're doing here.
We're also in touch with a generous soul who is covering the barrel cost and have some feelers out there for a smith and engraver.

I would imagine, in the next 24-48hours we would have a blueprint together for share and also a PayPal account set up for donations for the build cost and possibly another for the tickets.

He always liked Krieger. For a smith, I'd vote Redneck from here on the Fire.

I'd also vote for a 7RM.

Just a thought, but limiting the number of tickets sold will greatly reduce the final proceeds. 20% are spoken for and I only read a couple pages...

Enough folks are donating stuff well above the ordinary... and considering the winnings, 10 per ticket is pretty inexpensive.
BTW, nice to the the campfire shine again! Nice work folks.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Just a thought, but limiting the number of tickets sold will greatly reduce the final proceeds. 20% are spoken for and I only read a couple pages...

Enough folks are donating stuff well above the ordinary... and considering the winnings, 10 per ticket is pretty inexpensive.

Agreed. No need for a low cap - let's allow the Fire to be as generous we possible.

Good guys here!
+1 for Redneck

Do I smell a 7Mag vs 270 argument brewing, again?

Just kidding.....

Perhaps someone more familiar with BobinNH's stuff would know better what he had and the blueprint duplicated.
Schmidt & Bender Scope, a classic 6x42, or maybe Summit variable with 1" tube.

Sounds fine to me, you are donating the action. I didn't know Bob personally, always enjoyed his posts on here though. As long as no one has any objections to Whitebird, I suppose the next step would be to decide on a budget, iron out the details and figure out how we are going to fund the project.

X2

Whitebird, I'm in with cash to help fund any part of the rifle and am also in for tickets
Originally Posted by huntsonora

X2

Whitebird, I'm in with cash to help fund any part of the rifle and am also in for tickets

X3
Does there have to be a cap on Tickets? How about letting it run to a date instead? Midnight on the day the rifle is complete?
I would love the gun but it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

I'm in for Redding dies and some Winny brass....

W
270 slut but the 7Mag tingles.... Just sayin'....

W
257 BOB?
Why not build two, one in 7mm Mag, one in 270?
Originally Posted by huntsonora

X2

I'm in for cash and tickets. Just let me know.

donsm70

PS. I also like the 257 BOB idea.

I'm in on tickets.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Why not build two, one in 7mm Mag, one in 270?

I like this idea as well as the 257 BOB idea. It was a favorite of his.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
He always liked Krieger. For a smith, I'd vote Redneck from here on the Fire.
Another vote for Redneck to install the barrel. Bob liked Redneck's work. He did two M70 barrel installs and trigger jobs for me as well as set the timing on one of the safeties. They both shoot well, and Redneck is as big of a M70 fan as Bob was.
I vote for Redneck to do the smithing, Eddie F to coat it. I'll throw in money right now.
I agree on Redneck also. He did great work on my Mashburn.
I like it. If you guys decide to do a Mashburn I have a reamer I would loan out for the project
Looks like the action is a pre64 with a .30-06 bolt face which narrows cartridge choices.
Bob would would then most likely go with a .270.
Ahh. There it is then.

Unless you want to throw out a 280 AI suggestion...........(I think Bob just told me to GFY from the happy hunting grounds. laugh ).

Bob did all of his serious traveling hunting with a 7mm mag mostly. Read through his posts and you can see that.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Unless you want to throw out a 280 AI suggestion..

How are you at dodging lightning bolts? laugh

If this ends up being a 7mm, I'll donate a bag of 160 grain Bitterroots.

If it ends up being a 270, I'll donate a bag of 130 Bitterroots.

donsm70
Just my opinion but instead of making unlimited tickets I would raise the ticket price to $25 or $50 and keep them at a certain number.

Dink
Be nice to keep it at a price that will keep most all in the game and also prevent one from buying up most all chances.
Originally Posted by battue
Be nice to keep it at a price that will keep most all in the game and also prevent one from buying up most all chances.

Kinda why I threw out the idea for 2,000@$10

Figured that would be about the most that we could reasonably expect to sell, price should be well within everybody's reach and the sale would generate $20,000...
Who would benefit from the proceeds of this venture? Isn't that the first thing that should be decided?

Would Bob even want something like this done in his memory?
Originally Posted by TC1
Who would benefit from the proceeds of this venture? Isn't that the first thing that should be decided?

Would Bob even want something like this done in his memory?
Bob's Obit lists some places the funds could be donated. "please honor Robert by making a contribution in his memory to the Make a Wish Foundation of Massachusetts, One Bulfinch Place, 2nd Floor, Boston, MA 02114 or to Challenge Unlimited, Inc., 450 Lowell St., Andover, MA 01810"

And I doubt Bob ever thought anyone would proceed with a project like this in his honor. I always found him to be quite humble. That said, I'm sure he'd appreciate what is happening here.
I'm sure a $20,000 gift to the Make-A-Wish Foundation would mean a lot to those that Bob left behind,knowing how much he was appreciated here.
Late here, I've been away for a bit.

It seems like I've 'known' Bob for decades. Such a sense of loss here. We've enjoyed many a merry 'talk' over the years. Bob was one of he few I would really listen to regarding shooting.

I'm in for tickets; the only hardware I have worthy of note is lots of .270 brass and a couple boxes of 7 mm bullets.

I'm ok with Make a Wish or family gift.

I have a ton of 270 brass I'll donate although my gut says a 7mm mag is more appropriate. Seems all I can remember Bob talking about was the 7mm.
Too bad going the pre 64 route I have a 5 digit stainless classic in a 7 mag I donate... me and bob didn't see eye to eye at one point we pretty much told each other to [bleep] off but this is for a good cause.. RIP Bob hope you are in the land of big deer and elk..
This!

BobinNH
-24hr logo-
2/2/2017
Brads quote too

Originally Posted by STS45
I have a ton of 270 brass I'll donate although my gut says a 7mm mag is more appropriate. Seems all I can remember Bob talking about was the 7mm.

Yep.
If anyone would like a chance to contribute to the build and see a bit of how it is shaping up:

Link to Commemorative Rifle Donation Thread

© 24hourcampfire