Home
My local rifle shop has both on clearance price in a rifle I am interested in. Any rationale (other than just having for rifles!) to owning both?
Some similar loading setups, ammo carriers, etc.

I had a 7mm and 300 WSM at the same time for a while
Get them if you want them.. I have several .300 wins and H & H and a Wea. I love em all.. Plus a 7mmRM and a 7mmWea. Life is short..
If I only had one rifle to hunt with I would have probably quit long ago.. Enjoy the rifles all year long..
I have 2 270 WSM's, 1 7mm WSM and 4 300 WSM's, go for it!
I couldn't justify both, too similar.
I've got both, and both shoot too good to get rid of. 270wsm is the deer rifle, 300wsm is the backup elk/mule deer rifle. Never a good reason not to own another gun smile
Nice to have a similar pair of rifles for seemless switching back and forth. One as a back up on major hunts.

It would jut depend on what else I had already. My choice is the 270 because it is more wisssum. The 300 is too close to my 300 win. to appeal to me.
Both can make sense - did that very thing for awhile. But my "affair" with the .270Win. won out and sold the .270WSM.
By the way, be careful at the bench - you can fire form a .270WSM in a 300WSM action - don't ask me how I know.
I have owned the 270 WSM, the 7mm WSM and 300 WSM.

I still own the 300 but have settled on 270 Win and 7x57 for deer rifles.

My best advice. Go for it!

donsm70
Get both. Load the .270 WSM with 130-140g bullets and the .300 WSM with 165-180g bullets and go whack stuff with them.
I owned a 270 WSM, not a fan. I prefer the standard 270.

Of the WSM's, the 300 is my favorite.

I wouldn't bother with both.

Originally Posted by Brad

I'd roll with a 300 before a 270 . . .

. . . but the 270 could be converted to a 6.5 WSM - just a thought.
I've been shooting a .270 exclusively since 08. I have had great luck with all of the MT critters and even dumped a Canadian moose with a 140 grain bullet. Flat shooters!

I'm not sure what the conspiracy is about the .270 other than the bullet manufacturers don't really produce too many of the high BC bullets, it fits nicely between the 6.5 and 7mm.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by Brad

I'd roll with a 300 before a 270 . . .

. . . but the 270 could be converted to a 6.5 WSM - just a thought.

Or better yet 6.5 SAUM. Hdy Brass is available.

One thing not disclosed by the OP is what rifles are these WSM's chambered in? There are a LOT of rifles I wouldn't own a WSM chambered in... the M700 being near the top of the heap.
I've given up on rationale when buying guns. I can give myself a rational reason for buying anything. If you want it and can afford it, why not?
IMO, the choice would depend on what your primary quarry is. Deer: 270, elk 300.
Price is generally not to the best reason to buy something.
Originally Posted by 16bore

That is correct. Unfortunately for me, I am too stupid to reach that conclusion each time until I have separated myself from my money.

To the OP, go for it, especially if you don't have a .270 or .300 already. Even if you do you might find them fun and, depending on what you pay, easy to trip once bored with them.
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
I've given up on rationale when buying guns. I can give myself a rational reason for buying anything. If you want it and can afford it, why not?

This. If you want them, and can afford them, then buy them. If gun purchases were based solely on logic, most of us would only own a few guns... obviously logic doesn't apply to rifle loonies!!
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Even if you do you might find them fun and, depending on what you pay, easy to trip once bored with them.

Guilty of that as well.....
I have both, great cartridges!!
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Even if you do you might find them fun and, depending on what you pay, easy to trip once bored with them.

Guilty of that as well.....

Unfortunately for me it seems, more often than not, to be the rule rather than the exception. Maybe some day I will learn.

On a good note, often others benefit from my lack of self control once I decide to sell. I seem to have this internal, almost compulsive desire, to single-handedly stimulate the economy when faced with conundrums the likes of which the OP now faces.
Used gear sure makes it cheaper in the R&D department. I couldn't decide between a 270WSM Montana or R700 7mm so I bought both and just let it play itself out. I don't mind relying on my own opinion after having something in hand.
Generally you spend a little on shipping, but it beats a road trip and shopping.
Roger that.
The .270WSM X Bolt is such an ergonomic masterpiece I am trying to avoid end of the season sale fliers right now.
Having had the 270 WSM, 7mm WSM and the 300 my 2 favorites are the first two.
I had both at one time, pass the 300 WSM and 155 Scenar.
A person can still go broke buying all the specials.
© 24hourcampfire