Home
Posted By: VAhuntr Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/06/17
Looking to pick up a new 7mm Rem Mag and was curious to know if anyone has one or has shot one? What are your thoughts and opinions? I'm looking at a wood stock version with the satin finish. Local dealer has a couple of the synthetic Lite models but I wonder how bad the recoil would be on those?
I bought a used stainless T3 7mm Rem Mag with the synthetic stock from someone here on the 'fire. He had replaced the hockey puck recoil pad with a Limbsaver, which I do with my Tikkas also. As a result, recoil is close to that of a .30-06.

Load development consisted of putting powder in primed cases and seating some bullets.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1025993&highlight=

P
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/06/17
Have a blued / synthetic model
Shoots 168 Bergers great
I replaced the recoil pad with a Limbsaver
Longest kill was a doe 350 yards
Dropped where she was standing.
Posted By: STS45 Re: Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/06/17
How is the recoil on a 7mag in a Tikka? Are you guys constrained at all by the magazine?
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/06/17
Pretty much a piece of cake. Whats not to like.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Recoil was stout enough on my Superlite to add a brake. Mine hated 168 Bergers. Most die hard long range guys dislike the mag length but tons of guys on here do quite well with them. My complaint was less with the mag size and more with how it was not flush with the stock.
I have gotten along well with mine. Although I have it for sale on the other side. Like previously stated little RL22, put some sort of bullet on it, point and click. Recoil was OK, no ugly groups, no modifications. Have another 7 on the way or I would keep it.

KC
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/06/17
I've been thinking of getting a muzzle break on mine.
Mainly so my wife and daughters can shoot it.
That and the Limbsaver should really make it a mild recoil.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/06/17
Apparently the factory stock fits me well enough. The first deer I shot with mine was a doe. Out in a field at 300 yards give or take a couple yards. Various points in the field have been lasered for just such circumstances. Anyhow,I had my daughter with me and had her wave her hand a time or two to get the old girl's attention. When she (the doe) threw her head up to analyze the situation,I shot her under the chin. Flipping her over on her back with nothing more than a kick or two. All from a prone rest over a piece of log,with my leather gloves to pad the forearm. There aren't too many belted magnums I enjoy shooting from that log. The T3 7mm mag is no trouble. Recoil isn't a concern at all. Can't say that about the 300 Win,338 Win,or 300 Ultra Mag. Off my old log anyway.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/06/17
A friend uses a 7RM Tikkler as his primary. Viper 3-9x, handloads with 168gr Klassic.

It's consistently ~1" at 100 with this set-up, for 10-shots. Group in image below was after floating the barrel. Although I don't think he needs to shoot at 100 anymore, he still does every now and then and it's always 10-shots under 1", or very close.

[Linked Image]

The rifle is obnoxious from prone. He wears some sort of shoulder pad. 40-rounds from prone will take it's toll, and the scope has grazed him a few times. When I shoot it, I notice a good deal of hop. Videos of him show the rifle jumping off the front rest.

Last time we shot, he hit a 6"x8" steel plate at 610 yards twice in a row. Third shot was just off the edge of the plate. Not bad with a BDC and wind.
Posted By: IDMilton Re: Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/07/17
I had a lite stainless in 7 mag. The Limbsaver helps a lot and I didn't find it too bad at all. It was really accurate and I liked it.

I don't know if you've owned a rifle with a brake, but I hate them on hunting guns. They are LOUD.

I ended up selling my 7 mag. I replaced it with another 7-08. Shooting them (the 7-08 and the 7 mag) side by side at the 1000 yard line at the Rexburg, ID range, in a decent wind, the 7-08 only took one more minute of wind. Since I'd never shoot at an animal at that range, that extra windage would be less at a closer range.

In the 7 mag I was shooting H1000 and 162 Amax at 2950. The 7-08 was shooting the same bullet at 2650 with H4350. About 25 grains less powder, about half the recoil, and twice the barrel life. I don't have either of my 7 mags anymore.

Between my kids and me, we've taken a few deer and an elk (over 500 yards) with one shot each with the 7-08. This is my long-winded way of suggesting a 7-08 instead of the 7 mag, esp. for your wife or kids.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/07/17
Originally Posted by IDMilton
I had a lite stainless in 7 mag. The Limbsaver helps a lot and I didn't find it too bad at all. It was really accurate and I liked it.

I don't know if you've owned a rifle with a brake, but I hate them on hunting guns. They are LOUD.

I ended up selling my 7 mag. I replaced it with another 7-08. Shooting them (the 7-08 and the 7 mag) side by side at the 1000 yard line at the Rexburg, ID range, in a decent wind, the 7-08 only took one more minute of wind. Since I'd never shoot at an animal at that range, that extra windage would be less at a closer range.

In the 7 mag I was shooting H1000 and 162 Amax at 2950. The 7-08 was shooting the same bullet at 2650 with H4350. About 25 grains less powder, about half the recoil, and twice the barrel life. I don't have either of my 7 mags anymore.

Between my kids and me, we've taken a few deer and an elk (over 500 yards) with one shot each with the 7-08. This is my long-winded way of suggesting a 7-08 instead of the 7 mag, esp. for your wife or kids.

Interesting and a valid point. I have a Model 70 Extreme Weather in 270 WCF that I enjoy hunting with. It has proven to be accurate and will probably take all the animals I would ever hunt.

With the 7-08, it looks to me like I'd be basically duplicating the 270?

Posted By: IDMilton Re: Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/07/17
VAhuntr,
For hunting, I would not trade a 270 like yours for a 7-08.

My first Tikka was a 270. I thought since it was a long action, I might as well have a long action cartridge. I found they (7-08 and the 270) would both push 140s at 2850. But the 7-08 did it with 10 grains less powder. Not a big deal at all, but I really like practicing and playing around, and the 162 Amax is a better long range bullet for that.

But unless you are planning on long range steel, they are a wash. My 270 killed three elk and some other animals and it worked great. (Of course.) It really liked the Hornady 140 BTSP and the SST over H4831.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/07/17
VAhuntr,

My first Tikka was a 270. I thought since it was a long action, I might as well have a long action cartridge. I found they (7-08 and the 270) would both push 140s at 2850. But the 7-08 did it with 10 grains less powder. Not a big deal at all, but I really like practicing and playing around, and the 162 Amax is a better long range bullet for that.

But unless you are planning on long range steel, they are a wash. My 270 killed three elk and some other animals and it worked great. (Of course.) It really liked the Hornady 140 BTSP and the SST over H4831.

I don't plan to replace, just add to the stable!
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
VAhuntr,

I don't plan to replace, just add to the stable!

I like how you think.

I have 2 Tikka 7mm-08s, with a third on the way (dang that Whittaker Guns!) and I use them for everything these days. I bought a 7mm Rem Mag off the 'Fire a couple of years ago but all I've done is some load workup.

P
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/07/17
Originally Posted by 4th_point
A friend uses a 7RM Tikkler as his primary. Viper 3-9x, handloads with 168gr Klassic.

Same rifle, but different bullet and load. It was 2014, not 2004 (typo).

[Linked Image]

Same rifle, but different bullet and load. It was 2014, not 2004 (typo).

[Linked Image]

Let me know when you want to sell that one... laugh
Originally Posted by Otter6
Pretty much a piece of cake. Whats not to like.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Freeking awesome man. Good shooting..
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/08/17
For having so many things wrong with them,these things just keep turning in itty bitty groups. I've had 3 semi custom builds that were no better,and cost 3 times as much. I like these T3s.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag - 02/08/17
They are cheap, plastic, have horrible ergonomics, have plastic DBM's, ugly, foreign, and have a tiny useless recoil lug.

And usually smack everything else silly. grin
I have owned a couple T3's in 7RM, a Lite and a Superlite model....I still got Lite Stainless and Superlite Stainless in My safe both are .300WM.....All have been sub MOA rifles with factory ammo, No problem at all with recoil and no freakin way would I install a brake.....Good luck .....Hb
Do you own anything that's NOT a 300WM??? Ha!
Ha!.....All I own is .300 Win rifles as I am a .300 Win whore....Plus it saves on ammo......lol......Hows your XCRII 7RM?...that is one fine rifle.....Hb
I almost opened up a can of stupid and sold it. She's a peach!!
Oh yes she is...Dont make the same mistake I did, better hold on to her if you can.......Hb
© 24hourcampfire