Home
For buying a test bed 243 rifle to play with 105gr A-Max and other looong 6mm stuff, what's my options before going custom? Rem 9.25? Anyone else twisting faster than 10 off the shelf, and do I need it?
Oh, and mag box vs coal?
Thanks.
Ruger Precision Rifle with its 1:7.7 twist is the best.
Standard Ruger twist is 1-9".

The Lipsey's special No.1 Varmint is 1-7.7".

What about the American 243? ....or Marlin xs7 on twist/box?
The American .243 is a 1-9. American Predators in 6mm CR are 1-7.7, if you're not wedded to the idea of the Winny 6.
WTF is a COTS?
Commercial, off-the-shelf.....I'll build something later, if I decide it's worth it to me. Right now, I don't want to blow a budget experimenting....so something I can readily p/u with enough twist is the idea.

Sounds like the American in either will work....but i would prefer the case capacity of the Win, or at least I think I would, when it comes to heavies.

My factory Rem 24" ADL 1/9.125" is pretty awesome with the 105's
I'll take an air mattress over COTS any day.
Ruger 77s in 243 have always been 9" twist. You could pick up an older tanger varmint version and have some classy fun on a budget.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
WTF is a COTS?

New to me too. Think I'll convert to acronyms as well wink Will not know WTF I'm saying BTWBALF.

g
Never heard of "COTS"
I just figured the OP was dyslexic and misspelled "COST".
No, the OP just doesn't like to type sometimes. Folks that work in mil, engineering, tech, or contracting fields deal with that acronym all the time.

Is Winchester's current twist a10?
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
No, the OP just doesn't like to type sometimes. Folks that work in mil, engineering, tech, or contracting fields deal with that acronym all the time.

Is Winchester's current twist a10?

Retiring from the Army this year and I hate acronyms. I always thought officers sat around and thought of new ones to replace the old acronyms that worked to justify their rank.

Yes Winchester's current twist is 1:10.

Check out Smack's post on his Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor. That'll be the best COTS rifle for playing with heavy 6mm bullets. Sierra just came out with a pretty cool looking 110 grain SMK.
evrybdy nos typin a msg n plain en isa lotta wrk. I tink we shd ll jst switch 2 acronyms, It'll save evrybdy heaps of typin.
LOL...well, you'll all have to pardon me, since I'm on a rotation and DO have to work for a living. It is nice to have some internet, unlike times past.

....and I may just order a 6C pred and pick it up when I get back. I've got access to a place where we can put in a 600-1k range, at least, and another where 400+ yard surgery or man drives are the only way to cull deer and coyotes.
I was in a restaurant the other night sitting next to 7 or 8 Air Force NCO's in uniform, probably Idaho ANG off duty for the day.

It was fun listening to military jargon I hadn't heard in some 45 years. Most of it hadn't changed in all that time - TDY, "mickey mouse bullsh*t, "f*ckin' officers" and other stuff like that... wink
What about a M7 pred, w22" and 9.25 twist? Enough?
I had a rifle custom made into a CATBIRD which is a 6mm-270Winchester and it EXTREMELY accurate and pretty much devastating on anything I shot with it with using Hornady 105gr AMAX bullets.Varmints,deer and hogs.
What about a M7 pred, w22" and 9.25 twist? Enough?

Still wondering if that 9.25 is topped out with the 105 AMAX? That'd be about as long as I'd likely need, anyway.
OP must work for the Guberment. The government and corporations purchase COTS to save Research, Development, Test, Evaluation, and Logistics costs.
Over 90% of anything you can think of that the Gov or a corporation uses there is usually a Commercial version that will do the job. Training, support, parts, infrastructure to supply & support already exist with an established price structure.
Need a buldozer? Buying one of many manufacturers dozers is quicker and more cost efficient than designing and constructing your own.
Hence, OP wants a Tikka, Remington, Sako, Ruger, Winchester, Savage, etc you can go buy in the store vice a custom that will be special order and cost magnitudes more.
For buying a test bed 243 rifle to play with 105gr A-Max and other looong 6mm stuff, what's my options before going custom? Rem 9.25? Anyone else twisting faster than 10 off the shelf, and do I need it?
Oh, and mag box vs coal?
Thanks.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/7963819

Whittaker Guns still has a couple of Montana Rifle Co. X2s in stock with the 1:8 twist. I got one and love it and you can't find better people to deal with.

I have a Savage Predator Max 1 and it is 1:9.25" twist. I haven't shot them past 100 yards yet but the one group of 105 Amax I shot out of it shot 1/2". Hoping that stays true out to 300 but I haven't had a chance yet.
I was going to ask the same thing but didn't want to sound stupid! laugh
Originally Posted by peeshooter
I was going to ask the same thing but didn't want to sound stupid! laugh

It isn't a stupid question. There are so many Acronyms now that Campbells can't make enough soup to spell them all out.
Some factory tubes can work with 105's but the most consistent choice is an 8t custom
I'd go with one of the earlier suggestions and buy a Ruger Amercian Predator. The only thing I dislike about the 6mm Creedmoor right now is the limited availability of die sets. Wish Forster would make a benchrest set.
My Ruger American has no problem stabilizing 105 Nosler RDF's, FWIW.
The 105g A-MAX, and many others, have been discontinued.
Yea but they've been replaced with other bullets. Not like they're going away from amax/vld type bullets.
© 24hourcampfire