Home
what i am giving up with compared to a 30-06

Although I've hunted elk with my .257 Roberts, I've never shot one with it. When doing so I set lower limits on the range I'd be willing to take a shot when compared to other cartridges and loads I've used, including a .30-06.

The 257 Roberts is my favorite cartridge. I've been using it since 1995. The biggest critter that I've killed with one has been deer. It is an excellent cartridge and it's in light weight rifles. With premium bullets I think elk would be on the menu.
You're giving up a lot, but the '06 has a lot to give. I would hunt elk under some conditions with it. Dennis in AZ's kids killed elk with a .250 Savage, so the Bob sure will.

I expect you'd need to shoot it well.

Since bull elk hunting in winter is often a long shot proposition here in AZ, I'll stick with the '06 or 7 WSM.
I'd shoot everything except elephants and cape buffalo with it.

Still doesn't make it as good as an -06 or other chamberings with more muscle.
For deer you really aren't giving up anything. I would tackle caribou or elk with mine. But I have been using one f o r 25 years. Fine cartridge.
GreggH
My favorite deer cartridge. Been using it since the 70s. Wouldn't use it for elk. Too many better options
A black bear once came by while I had a tag while deer hunting. That's why I load Nosler Partitions. Double lung shot, he didn't go 15 feet.
Elk, Moose, or big bears? No. I have rifles with more oomph in the rack.
It depends, if said critter unknowingly is about to become my meal or if it knowingly wants to make me his.
Not that I would, or that he didn't have other choices, but my Dad tagged a moose with one. One shot, typical moose thought about it a bit, then toppled.
Black bear or elk.
If planning a hunt, the Bob would be in the mix of rifle choices from deer on down. In a pinch, it would kill anything given proper shot placement and premium bullets.
so Africa is completely off the table?
Load it with 100 TTSX and it will do what a .270 will do.
What is the biggest critter you'd shoot with a 257 Roberts?

I use mine for deer and nothing else. Perfect for the intended purpose.
Biggest critter I'd tackle with a .257 Bob?

Rosie O'Donnell.... in the pelvis.... with a 120 Partition....
Girdle shot!
This is the biggest thing I've shot with a kinda Roberts (250AI and it slings bullets at the same speed as my Roberts). I didn't feel handicapped.

[Linked Image]

There is really no limit to the size animal I would be willing to shoot with a .257 Roberts. If the opportunity presented it's self, and a .257 was what I was armed with at the time....I would shoot almost anything (particularly anything in North America).

With that said, on any larger animal (elk, moose, buffalo) and even more so on animals that could bite (lions, tigers and bears) I would be damned careful about shot placement and the situation. If things were not "perfect" on these animals, I would have to pass on some shots, but with the right angle, right distance and sure shot placement I'd shoot anything that came along....including the Big 5.

To me, the real question is not what I "would" shoot with a .257, but what game I would actually "choose" a .257 as a weapon for. A .257, to me, is a very good deer/antelope rifle.

Anything bigger and you are asking too much of the smaller bore and small bullets. Not that it can't be done....but it would be far from perfect. Even on deer it would not be my first choice and bullet placement has to be precise.

Where I hunt hogs are always a possibility. An "average" size hog of 100-125 pounds is about like a deer.....but the rare hog of 300+ pounds will certainly make you wish for more gun than the .257.

I must admit that one of the largest hogs (435 pounds) I have personally taken was shot with a .250-3000. The range was short and the angle perfect.....and the .250 was what I had with me that morning.

A classic case of what "would" I shoot with a .250.....but if I had known ahead of time that beast was going to show up you can bet I would have chosen a bigger rifle. However, one shot....one dead hog proved that the little guns "can" work when conditions are perfect.

Originally Posted by Brian
so Africa is completely off the table?

For Africa the upper limit would be about hartebeest size. Not saying you couldn't do kudu, eland or elephant but as stated above, not the first choice. The Bob would be a perfect light rifle for impala, bushbuck, etc. although my light rifle has been Mrs Blacktailer's 308 in the past.
In North America as a rifleman I would at times want more gun, but as a rifleman I would not turn down many hunts with a 257 Roberts. I question more why you would windup with only a 257 Roberts?
Bunnies
+1
Originally Posted by Steelhead
This is the biggest thing I've shot with a kinda Roberts (250AI and it slings bullets at the same speed as my Roberts). I didn't feel handicapped.

[Linked Image]

You look like you are getting ready for a round of golf, not a black bear hunt. wink Nice bear!
Sasquatch
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

[Linked Image]

You look like you are getting ready for a round of golf, not a black bear hunt. wink Nice bear!

Steelhead has some real creative camo patterns!
I'd hunt elk and moose with a .257 Roberts, no problem.

I'd probably refrain from the big bears, dangerous game, etc. but anything else I'd chase with a Bob as long a decently made bullet was in the mix.
These questions are always a bit odd to me as they quickly degenerate into do you mean emergency survival or casual sport hunting etc etc. the Roberts is a great medium game round and shares that nich with probably no less than a couple dozen other medium capacity cartridges. For game up to around 500-600 lbs you should be good to go.
I shoot the 257 AI with a 120 grain Nosler Par i found my self in Colorado with my hunting party and a failed scope in my 338 Winchester mag.

I had been in Idaho the week before deer hunting with the Bob and drove directly to Colorado to hook up with with my party.

I got up opening morning and found the 338 was out of action i grabbed the 257 with out thinking twice.

I got the dreaded call on the radio about 0900 My Dad and his hunting partner had wounded an elk and needed help both of them pushing 80 do not do much chasing these days.

At that moment i was wishing the 338 was in my hand as i knew what ever shot i got at the wounded elk i would have to take.

Some three hours later i got my shot the elk had been hit in the front elbow and it was on three legs i took a snap shot when i had it and got one through it's lungs it did not go 20 yards.

The BOB will put them down. Playing clean up was the only time i felt out gunned with the Bob.
Never killed anything with one,but I have one on the way. It will be for deer and lesser poundage creatures. Right now the only larger thing I hunt would be black bears but I will be going to the 06 or larger for them.
My daughter and grand-son both have killed elk in Oregon with one I made for them.
I'd shoot an elk and not worry too much about it.
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Biggest critter I'd tackle with a .257 Bob?

Rosie O'Donnell.... in the pelvis.... with a 120 Partition....

And you would NOT get a pass thru
My neighbor, he go 400 Lb easy
Steelhead takes the camo thing about as seriously as I do. I'm pretty sure the only camo that I have are gimmie caps and a camo tee shirt that a host gifted me and insisted that it was a must to shoot doves. Got to humor the guy that owns the ground.

Jack
© 24hourcampfire