Home
Posted By: jac3k Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creed - 04/15/17
I had the opportunity to get out and shoot the new Fieldcraft chambered in 6.5 Creed. The rifle was exceptionally accurate. The things I noticed were how comfortable and crisp the trigger was, perfect feeding/ejecting, and the stock ergonomics. Fit & finish was excellent.

I shot this 3 shot group with Federal Trophy Copper 120gr at 500yds
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I shot this group with Hornady 143gr ELDX also at 500

[Linked Image]

Fence post pic without the fence post

[Linked Image]
Damn!

How much did you chop it?
Posted By: jac3k Re: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creed - 04/15/17
18" and threaded from the factory.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creed - 04/15/17
Wow.
How does the stock ergonomics compare to a montana?

I can't wait to handle one locally.....

Sweet.
Special order on the barrel length and threading? I could go for one exactly like it.
Posted By: jac3k Re: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creed - 04/16/17
The stock is more hand filling to me than the Montana. The cheekpeice is ample and comfortable too. The grip is much more closed than the Montana also.

The 18" threaded barrel is a factory offering and not special order. Anyone can get that configuration.
jac3k,

I'm guessing the rings are those listed on Barrett's website:

https://store.barrett.net/c-485-rifle-accessories.aspx?section=-61-

Very Talley'esque...made by Barrett or Talley? Do they come with or the rifle or purchased separately?

Thanks
...and do you know if the Outpost has these in stock?
Posted By: STS45 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creed - 04/16/17
Anyone know who has a 6.5 creed in stock?
How could you do that with such a tiny scope?

(TIC of course. grin)
Posted By: jac3k Re: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creed - 04/16/17
The rings are made by Talley and are sold separately. I believe The Outpost does have one in 308 win.
Originally Posted by STS45
Anyone know who has a 6.5 creed in stock?

Bill Hicks and Sports South (distributors) just got them in stock. Tell your dealer to order one in.
Originally Posted by jac3k
The rings are made by Talley and are sold separately. I believe The Outpost does have one in 308 win.

Thanks. Gonna hold out for a 6.5.
Originally Posted by jac3k

The 18" threaded barrel is a factory offering and not special order. Anyone can get that configuration.

Hadn't seen that on their site. Thanks.

This is getting good.

Well it looks like that one shoots well!
Great shooting Jac! Perfect TN killing machine. An over barrel suppressor would make it even handier to slide out a window.
I just checked the Barrett website and the Fieldcraft in .243 comes with a 1 in 7 twist SWEET!

They get it and are offering what shooters want!
Outstanding shooting! Tell Me about the stock, how thick is the wrist? And does it have a grippy textured finish or is it slick?......thanks Hb
This is a Forbes correct? They bought the licence from Melvin.
Is the action bedded? Barrel?
Posted By: jac3k Re: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creed - 04/19/17
The wrist is comfortable, but I wouldn't call it thick. The forearm is more hand filling than a Montana. It's similar to a T3 in forearm thickness. The stock finish is textured, but it doesn't have the sandpaper feel of the Montana.
Posted By: RBO Re: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creed - 04/19/17
Originally Posted by Timmay
This is a Forbes correct? They bought the licence from Melvin.
Is the action bedded? Barrel?

It's not a Forbes, it's a Barrett. It has a different stock, different action, different barrel, but they might be using the same trigger? I spoke with Melvin, he said he himself has nothing to do with Barrett or the bushcraft rifle. From what I heard, Barrett bought out all of Forbes Rifles stock when they went bankrupt, that's the only affiliation they have with Forbes or Melvin.
That is mostly correct. Barrett actually bought and still owns the Forbes Rifle Company and all it's assets including TDP, though none of it is actually being used as almost every piece of the rifle was redesigned to some level.

The stock on the other hand is not only exactly the same, they literally are the same stocks that where owned and being used by Forbes at the end. Moved straight from Maine to Tennessee. I was there.

They are full length hand bedded to individual actions at Barrett then the bedding is cleaned up on a CNC mill in the bedding station before they roll to the paint booth.
Do they plan to add any other stock colors in the future?
What are these rifles running?
Can be found for $1500
Where can I find a 6.5 for $1500? I've reached out to Whittaker's and can't find one locally or online.
I doubt you can find a 6.5Cr anywhere, for any price. I've tried.

But 308's are around for $1500.

http://grabagun.com/barrett-16768-fieldcraft-308-rh.html
Appreciate the link, thank you.
Posted By: jac3k Re: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creed - 04/19/17
Here is a 6.5 Cr

[url]http://www.billhicksco.com/storefro...ehouse-id=1&item-number=BARR%2016764[\url]
Thanks Tennessee, good to get the facts right!
Originally Posted by Aviator
Do they plan to add any other stock colors in the future?

Lol wow.....

What color do you want??? Pink???

You could paint it or get it hydro dipped in pretty much any color you want.
All of the short and long actions are 1799 MSRP
Appreciate the link.

Wouldn't do business with a merchant that gouges their customers, ever. Period.
Maybe just a typo smile
Believe that link is to a distributer; anyone know when the 6.5 will actually be on shelves?
That is a distributor. People may have to urge their dealers to order one into their store. A lot of dealers are not doing much buying right now.
Paging Darick...
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Paging Darick...

Leave him alone, quit bothering him, he's trying to work... Spend your time telling Barrett to send him 6.5's! grin
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Believe that link is to a distributer; anyone know when the 6.5 will actually be on shelves?

We've had one 6.5 and two 308's. They sold like lightening. The 6.5 was picked up by a member here. He was the first to email me when they were announced.

MAP is $1730.

Barrett isn't sending them to direct customers yet.
Does the safety lock the bolt on these new Fieldcraft rifles, or is it more along the lines of a 700 safety?
Posted By: jac3k Re: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creed - 04/20/17
The safety has a nice positive snick to it. It does not lock the bolt.
Here is a little Fieldcraft Creedmoor action. Some of the Barrett team is texting me photos from Limpopo where they are hunting with Makonya Safaris. How did I miss this trip???

Zebra down courtesy of Hornady ELDX

[Linked Image]
Another ELDX victim. There is a whole brick of ammo loaded with ABLRs too so there should be plenty more action for comparison.

[Linked Image]
That likely will be my next lightweight rifle....granted its about 1.5 pounds heavier than my current lightweight rifle...but in 6.5 it could be a check of a mid range out to 500 yards rifle that won't beat me up too bad.

Thanks for the pics.
© 24hourcampfire