Home
Posted By: GuyM Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/04/17
[Linked Image]

Pillar bedded, free floated, trigger tuned to a crisp three pounds. Topped by an old 2-7x Redfield. Okay - it's not fancy, but since last September this rifle has given me:

black bear
pronghorn antelope
mule deer
cow elk
wolf
arctic grizzly

Not one problem from the rifle. Never shifted zero. 100% reliable. Accuracy is sub MOA time after time, no matter the weather.

Used two different loads for those hunts, a 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2900 fps, and a 200 grain Nosler Partition at a bit over 2600 fps. Could have done it all with a 180 grain load.

Ya, I'm pretty happy with my simple setup. Might upgrade the scope someday, but I kind of like it.

Guy
Posted By: domit Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/04/17
beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it! or something like that. glad to see another person that sticks to what works year after year. 3006 is my go to rifle altho i have several others to play with. have you read one man one rifle one land by jones? he used one 3006 to take everything in this country and a few others. thanks for the look into what works! D O M I T !
Posted By: hanco Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/04/17
I have one in 257 Weatherby and one in 270WSM. Great rifles!!
I also use the 30-06 for almost everything. I have a few others and came up on the 270 but for about 15 years now, 90% of the time its an 06.
Posted By: Dogger Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/04/17
please provide the inside savvy on the pillar bedding and floating... how you accomplished it. I have a 700 CDL in 280 i would like to do the same towards
That rifle rose to the top quick for you Guy! That's a great looking rifle and it looks good set up the way you have it. Congrats on an awesome year with it.
Guy,you do know that the .30/06 is obsolete and over-rated? Read that here on the 'fire. crazy laugh

Nice rifle and Congrats on your grizzly hunt. cool
Posted By: GuyM Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/04/17
Originally Posted by Dogger
please provide the inside savvy on the pillar bedding and floating... how you accomplished it. I have a 700 CDL in 280 i would like to do the same towards

I took it to a real good local rifle-builder!

[Linked Image]

He did my 25-06 and 30-06 700 CDL's at the same time. They're almost identical.

Guy
Posted By: 16bore Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/04/17
Mighty fine set up ya got there......

Now all ya gotta do is thread on a new tube in some 6.5 -06 AI Whizbang with high BC bullets, ditch the lumber, put on a tacticool scope and spray paint the thing and be REAL.

Or not. Ha!

Bonus points for keeping schit simple!
It's nothing short of a miracle you were able to accomplish all that without a Mcmillan stock, a Nightforce or SWFA "super chicken" scope and bullets with a BC of at least .700. You must be a praying man shooting at animals with a very sinful past.
Nice bedding work
No way!

You just can't do schitt like that....without having a .378 case necked down to a 6.5 whizzbanger moving at nanosecond velocity!!

You just ain't 'hip' man!! eek crazy
Posted By: Arns9 Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/04/17
Guy,
I, too, have a CDL in .30-06. Love 700s, love the stock, and love the cartridge. Mine has a Timmey trigger and is free-floated. Unless someone comes along and offers me twice what it's worth, I'll never part with it.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/04/17
My 280 AI is built on a. CDL. I flat love the stock. I hope to stumble onto one in a stainless fluted 06.
The 30-06 has been a favorite of mine for a long time. I've enjoyed reading about your hunts with the old war horse this year. The bedding job on those two looks superb!
My favorite rifle is my Remington CDL 280, but I also have one in 30-06 also... they are sweet!
Nice rifle. I would hunt it with pleasure.
I love the CDL...nicest remington configurations ever imho.
Guy -

Very nice rifle - and congrats on the hunts!

I had a nice BDL in .308 I sold because it was hard on cases and I wanted an AR. Probably the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.
Congrats on building one heck of a history with that rifle! I have a similar, somewhat simple rifle that I'm trying to build a good story with.
Posted By: STS45 Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/05/17
I've always thought the CDL's were damn good looking rifles.

What year was yours built?
I bought a 700 CDL SF in 257 WBY last April. Absolutely love that rifle. Killed a deer in Dec with it. Just had 4 boxes reloaded for it. 117 gr Sierra Game kings. Will put 3 bullets in the same hole at 80 yds. Most accurate deer rifle I have ever owned/shot!
Posted By: Fotis Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/05/17
Originally Posted by Seven0Eight

Agreed!
man ... something about a straight-grain walnut blued steel rem 700. they still "got it," from my sampling
Originally Posted by BLR358WIN
I bought a 700 CDL SF in 257 WBY last April. Absolutely love that rifle. Killed a deer in Dec with it. Just had 4 boxes reloaded for it. 117 gr Sierra Game kings. Will put 3 bullets in the same hole at 80 yds. Most accurate deer rifle I have ever owned/shot!

How did the Sierra hold up at 257WM speeds?
I am loving mine. Put it into a synthetic stock but I still have the original wood one too.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I am loving mine. Put it into a synthetic stock but I still have the original wood one too.

[Linked Image]

Looks good, is that the game scout stock?
Bought one in a 35 Whelen. Bought it because the way it handled, very nice.
Originally Posted by Taconic11

How does it shoot, My dad has been wanting a 35 whelen and he a big remington fan so I was thinking of grabbing one for him before they dry up and dissapear.
South Texas, Deer was only 60 yds. But was a big one. Bullet went in and out. Fell in its tracks. Actually had a very small wound channel. And I was hoping for a long shot. LOL. Only had 10 minutes left to hunt.
I've yet to shoot my latest build.
30-06, is always the best all around, do it all cartridge !
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dingo Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/07/17

I like my 243 Win

[Linked Image]
My whelen shoots very well. Usually around 1", a little more or less. Pretty sure that I bedded the action. I usually do. Would have to look.
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

How does it shoot, My dad has been wanting a 35 whelen and he a big remington fan so I was thinking of grabbing one for him before they dry up and dissapear.

I bought my CDL Whelen because they were selling for ridiculously cheap prices for some reason a few years back. I was surprised at how well it handled - almost like a 700 Mountain rifle, even with the 24" barrel. I think it's because the hole down the middle of that barrel is so big. laugh

It's been really accurate with Hornady 250's and R15, and I've finally zeroed-in on a load for 225 TSX's over Varget.

It supplies as much I recoil as I'll ever wanna deal with, but it gets the job done, for sure!

[Linked Image]

FC
I cheated. I put an old mid 60's 700 barreled action in 30-06 into a new CDL Stock. Love it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GuyM Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/07/17
FC - NICE! I've yet to hunt moose.

Lazy Drifter - very cool! I love the older Rem 700's!

Guy
Posted By: ingwe Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/08/17
Guy...my current
project' if you want to call it that is similar....

A Remington Model Seven CDL...I took the original 20 inch .22-250 barrel off it...located takeoff barrel from a 700 Mountain Rifle...22 inch, chambered in .243, same threads and contour as the Model Seven Barrel.

Redfield 2x7 on tp, and presently Im having it fitted with an English red pad...but for now with factory pad...

[Linked Image]
Dadgum,that is one sweet rifle,Ingwe.
Posted By: GuyM Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/08/17
Indeed it is!

Thanks for sharing that rascal.

Guy
Gotta love the good ole 30-06.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Gotta love the good ole 30-06.

Well you won't get an argument from me. I have two Remington 700s in 30-06, a BDL and a Classic. Both rifles have only had the triggers tuned up and the guns run MOA with most loads. The worst loads have run right about 1.25" which when you get right do to it are more than adequate for big game. I also have a Classic in .35 Whelen but I haven't done much with it lately due to lack of time. Won't be elk hunting anyway as my outfitter is all booked up this year. Plenty of time to find perfection for next year.
Paul B.
Posted By: verns Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/09/17
Nice shooter ! My go to cartridge. Tell us about you wolf hunt please .
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Lovin the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL - 06/09/17
Originally Posted by GuyM

He did my 25-06 and 30-06 700 CDL's at the same time. They're almost identical.

Guy

For a minute I was afraid your old .25 went to the doctor and came back a .30............glad that's not the case.

That's a very cool pair of rifles you've got now Guy. The CDL is my favorite configuration.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

I bought my CDL Whelen because they were selling for ridiculously cheap prices for some reason a few years back. I was surprised at how well it handled - almost like a 700 Mountain rifle, even with the 24" barrel. I think it's because the hole down the middle of that barrel is so big. laugh

It's been really accurate with Hornady 250's and R15, and I've finally zeroed-in on a load for 225 TSX's over Varget.

It supplies as much I recoil as I'll ever wanna deal with, but it gets the job done, for sure!

[Linked Image]

FC

Good deal, Im going to look around for one. Nice moose too!!!
And yes, I thought that they closely resembled the Mtn. Rifle. To me it's a Mtn. rifle by a different name.
Nice looking rifles and I agree the 30.06 is the all round caliber. I have an older model ADL chambered in 30.06 that doesn't see much action these days but I do take it out of the safe and shoot it from time to time. I have a 25.06 CDL that is my main hunting rifle and my daughter has a 260 SPS that I dropped in a CDL stock that she loves. The CDL is imo the best looking Remington rifle.
Originally Posted by Seven0Eight

© 24hourcampfire