Home
Posted By: szihn 1960s style sling straps? - 08/23/17
Remember back in the 60s and 70s when you got a rifle from Sears or even Winchester, many of them came with a very simple sling strap? Those slings were just a long piece of 1" wide leather and has a loop on one end, close by a few sex screws, and they came back on the strap with a double loop slider to adjust for length and form the 2nd loop.

Does anyone still make those old style sling straps?

I always preferred the double loop 1907 style US Military slings for all my rifles, but on the old classics of European styling, the simple metal slider type slings are wonderful, and very easy to adjust for length.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/23/17
You mean like these? https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Rifle-Chestnut-Handmade-Nohma/dp/B00OWBM23Q

[Linked Image]
szihn - "... by a few sex screws..." Easy enough to find. They're in plain paper wrappers in the back of most shops - lol
These plain jane straps came before morphing into the infamous "Cobra Slings". . Homesteader
I prefer slings with sex screws, but I don't put them on the gun until I leave the house. What the wife don't know ...
Posted By: Sendero Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/23/17
The Remington BDL rifles came with a sling. Murray Custom Leather makes a sling similar, but better quality.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/23/17
Where have you looked?
Posted By: szihn Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/23/17
Mike L2, that not it.
The one I want is a simple 1" strap with a slider on it.
Uncle Mikes made them only about 4 years ago, but then they were dropped from the line. Since then I have not been able to find any. I may just buy 1" leather straps and make my own. I can buy the double loop sliders at tack store and the sex screws at any hardware store.
You ever check here? These are from senarshooter on here, pretty high quality IMO Montana Gun slings
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/23/17
Something like this? This one is by Browning, but a local guy makes them for me without the fancy stitching.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: navlav8r Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/23/17
Years ago I found one pretty close to the 700 BDL slings on Ebay. If you search for Remington leather sling, there are several that are very close and at least one original on auction now.
Posted By: EdM Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/23/17
Maybe these folks have something.

http://www.levysleathers.com/hunting/product-category/rifle-slings/
Posted By: szihn Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/23/17
Here is a picture of what I am looking for. This one is on a gun from the 50s

[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
Originally Posted by szihn

There's a guy here in NY that makes slings like that. Only difference is the sliding buckles are brass colored. He doesn't have a web site but his business is called Tauris belts and custom leathers and his phone # is {315} 733-6174. He sells those slings at the local gun shows for 18.00. I have a couple and they are good quality.
Posted By: Bull_Elk Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/24/17
Google

1 inch military rifle sling

Installed correctly they're adjustable for length by pulling on either the inner or outer strap
Just for reference the well used "50's" sling pictured was at one time supplied with the Remington 700 BDL's, same sling as mentioned by Sendero.
Posted By: GeoW Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/24/17
Look like this?
Posted By: Tejano Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/24/17
That would be very easy to make and you would have your choice of leather. I like a simple carry sling and preferably with no metal buckle to make noise or scratch the stock.
I had a European version that used latigo laces for adjustment so no noise. Looked just like the Tripple K sling above but no buckle.

I see those every once in a while in the big boxes of old slings, leather holsters, and other semi-useless stuff that better gun shops keep around for old guys like me. Price is usually $5 or so.

Okie John
Posted By: szihn Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/24/17
I'd sure take a few of those "semi-useless" straps for $5 each

GeoW, that's not exactly what i was looking for, but it's probably close enough.
Thanks
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Something like this? This one is by Browning, but a local guy makes them for me without the fancy stitching.

[Linked Image]

I always wondered who made those.....I have one that came on a pawn shop rife....after using it its one of my favorites..would love to find another.....
Pawn shops and gun shops usually have a barrel full of slings and guncases in the back....they usually have piles of junk but there are some good if you dig....most can be had for 5 bucks.....
Posted By: kingston Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/25/17

That looks like a Murray A-1.

http://www.murraycustomleather.com/slings.htm

[Linked Image]
Posted By: szihn Re: 1960s style sling straps? - 08/25/17
Thanks Kingston, but I found some. $10 each. With swivels, which will not use. I make my own to match the 1910 styling out of Austria and eastern Germany.

Murray for $75 seems a bit overpriced (Quite a bit! It's just a strap with a slider, and in Murray's case a set of swivels which cost about $12 retail)
© 24hourcampfire