Home
Posted By: Odin 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/10/18
Hey guys

I have a featherweight manufactured in 2005 chambered in the swede. My rifle is still in a friends gun safe in Alaska and I'm living on the east coast. I'm wondering about a few things such as which aftermarket stocks will fit. (Just in case I come across a nice synthetic ) I'm pretty sure it's the SA even though the swede in between sizewise. I'm also wondering about the bottom metal and # of screws. Anyone familiar with this particular rifle. It does have CRF as well.

Jian
Posted By: beretzs Re: 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/10/18
I’ve got the same one. Awesome rifle.

Congrats on scoring that one. They are really good shooters.
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/10/18
It should be a 3-screw, 2-piece bottom metal rifle and if I'm not mistaken, the 6.5x55 was a long action. I'd want to confirm the action length before I bought a synthetic stock for it. That said, as has been discussed here many times over there are a few good synthetics to choose from and you'll want to decide what works best for you. McMillan, Bansner, Brown all make a good, lightweight stock that will work on the M70 featherweight.

Good luck.
Rob
Posted By: Redneck Re: 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/10/18
Actually, that one might have the 1-piece unit.. If the OP can post a pic of the underside of the rifle it would be easy to tell.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Actually, that one might have the 1-piece unit.. If the OP can post a pic of the underside of the rifle it would be easy to tell.

Hmm, even in 2005? Was thinking the 1-piece unit was only on the Super Grades...I'm sure your knowledge of them is stronger than mine. But you're right, a pic would tell for sure. What about the action length though? Don't think they made the Swede in a short did they?
Well, I think we're both wrong.. smile

I went through my entire collection - and I have several Super Grades and a couple Custom Shop M70s.. Of all of those, only TWO have the 1-piece bottom metal.

Man - I must be losing it.. Still, I'd like to see a pic of his rifle to be certain..

Best wishes.
Posted By: winchester70 Re: 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/10/18
If it was in fact made in 2005, it will have 1 piece bottom metal.

If it was made in 2002 or before, and you bought it in 2005, it will have 2 piece bottom metal.

Do you know the serial number? CRF with 6 digits will be pre '03 and should be 2 piece. 7 digits is '03-'06 and should be 1 piece.
Originally Posted by winchester70

If it was made in 2002 or before, and you bought it in 2005, it will have 2 piece bottom metal.
(scratching head here) That's how I had recalled it also.. Huh.. At the same time, I didn't take the time to check the S/Ns of the ones I have to see if they're pre-'02 or not...

Do you know the serial number? CRF with 6 digits will be pre '03 and should be 2 piece. 7 digits is '03-'06 and should be 1 piece.
Thank you for all the info.
What is curious to me about this rifle is I'm wondering when was the last time Winchester chambered the Featherweight in 6.5x55?
Posted By: Odin Re: 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/10/18
The gun is in my buddy's safe in Alaska and I'm on the east coast. I'll have to ask him to take some pictures. Thanks for the help I'll get back to you as soon as I can!
Originally Posted by Technoman26
What is curious to me about this rifle is I'm wondering when was the last time Winchester chambered the Featherweight in 6.5x55?
Looks like 2006.. Must have been just before they closed up shop..

(Blue Book - last year's edition - page 2241)
Posted By: winchester70 Re: 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/10/18
Originally Posted by winchester70

(scratching head here) That's how I had recalled it also.. Huh.. At the same time, I didn't take the time to check the S/Ns of the ones I have to see if they're pre-'02 or not...

Thank you for all the info.

You know, thinking back, they may have continued using 2 piece on some of the stainless guns in the last few years of production.

Ahh,don't you just love how years tend to cloud the brain.....
Posted By: Odin Re: 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/10/18
Just had a quick thought .... I should message Sitka deer. He bedded the action for me. It's a longshot he'd remember. That was 2005. Worth a try.
Posted By: Odin Re: 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/11/18
2ok got hold of my buddy in Alaska. My friend says it's a seven digit number and he saw 2 screws and a one piece assembly he wasn't sure about the length of the action though.
Posted By: winchester70 Re: 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/11/18
Originally Posted by Odin
2ok got hold of my buddy in Alaska. My friend says it's a seven digit number and he saw 2 screws and a one piece assembly he wasn't sure about the length of the action though.

It will be a long action.
Posted By: bushrat Re: 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/11/18
Did your buddy open the floorplate to check for a third screw at the front of the trigger guard or just look at the underside of the gun? The third screw is not visible with the floorplate closed.
Posted By: Redneck Re: 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/11/18
Originally Posted by bushrat
Did your buddy open the floorplate to check for a third screw at the front of the trigger guard or just look at the underside of the gun? The third screw is not visible with the floorplate closed.
Beat me to it... smile
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/11/18
Originally Posted by bushrat
Beat me to it... smile

Was my thought as well...inquiring minds and all. wink
I think so but I'll have to double check.
Posted By: extremesolo Re: 2005 Model 70 FWT - 01/11/18
If you have any more sweet guns like the one you describe you can "store them" in my safe. I am a little closer to the east coast than Alaska and will be sure to take good care of them. I promise. LOL.
I'll keep you in mind, lol. 😉
© 24hourcampfire