Home
Posted By: imj Dakota 76 question - 05/30/18
Throwing this out to the crowd since I cannot get anyone at Dakota/Rem Custom Shop to answer the phone or answer my voicemail. I picked up an unifired model 76 and I am curious year of manufacture; it is serial 1106. Also I believe I heard Dakota changed the thread size for the scope bases at some point. Does anyone know or recommend aftermarket bases for the model 76?

Thank you
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Dakota 76 question - 05/30/18
Mine has the serial #1700 and I got it in early 1995.

Don't know about changing thread size for the scope bases.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Dakota 76 question - 05/30/18
I don't know what date they changed, but Talley shows "current production" bases for Dakotas as 8-40 thread as opposed to 6-48. With that serial number you probably have a 6-48 threaded action. Should be simple for you to check what size yours is if you have an extra mount screw hanging around.
FYI, some mounts (Talley bases) are left or right hand specific because of the bolt release lever.

* I used Talley steel bases with 6-48 screws on mine but not sure how old it is because it was serialized by a custom maker
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Dakota 76 question - 05/30/18
I had one with a 11xx number, & as I recall, it was a 1991 or 1992 gun & it had 6-48's.

I used Conetrol mounts with the skeletonized 2-pc bases, which look outstanding on the gun & I think they are back in business again.

MM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: imj Re: Dakota 76 question - 05/30/18
Thanks all for the very helpful information. MontanaMan - I will look into those Conetrol bases.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Dakota 76 question - 05/30/18
You must use Conetrol rings with their bases, FYI.

MM
Posted By: Tejano Re: Dakota 76 question - 06/01/18
Mine came with Redfield type bases made by Dakota. I have always meant to switch them out for Tally solid bases but haven't as the bases and all metal work have a nitride finish that would be costly to have done even if only on the bases.

The Conetrol bases are slick I might put the Gentry light weight split rings on them but they are not making them now that I know of.
© 24hourcampfire